[WotC] Warlock Mist Pact for Ravenloft?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[WotC] Warlock Mist Pact for Ravenloft?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:40 am

This topic is being archived from the Ravenloft forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted Sep 24, 2008 15:40:12.
Irving wrote:Nothing more than a brainstorm right now, but...

How does a "Mist Pact" with the Dark Powers strike you? It would be a good home for curses, anchorite powers, and other metaphysical oddities of the plane of Ravenloft that might otherwise be orphaned in a 4e setting. It's also a good class for Vistani to pick up to define them.

Mechanically, it would be similar to the fey pact, but even more heavily focused on status aliments as opposed to damage. A few minor leader-class abilities (the warlock see the future and imparts that wisdom to her allies) might help seal the deal.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] Warlock Mist Pact for Ravenloft?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:41 am

rotipher wrote:I'm not sure that having the Dark Powers come so far out of the shadows as to openly accept such a pact is a good idea. They've always been the Land of Mists' greatest enigma, and should probably stay that way, not least so that DMs who interpret the DPs differently can all use the "Mist Pact" idea.

So having would-be warlocks ask the Dark Powers for Mist-based abilities, and receive a coherent response, would be too much of a giveaway. However, I can picture someone who, in a moment of deep rage or despair, unilaterally swore "by the Mists" to achieve some (probably) terrible purpose, such as vengeance or a rise to greatness. Such an oath might result in that person acquiring new, eerie powers that can help them to accomplish their sworn goal. The nature and intentions of whatever dark force -- presumably the DPs, but not proveably so -- granted them their abilities would remain a mystery.

This would avoid the problem of a Mist Pact warlock necessarily becoming a darklord, or even necessarily being Evil-aligned. An unaligned person could swear a Mist Pact oath in a moment of weakness, then spend the rest of their career as an adventurer trying not to succumb to temptation and use those unnatural powers for evil ends.

For Vistani, they could have a special ceremony that bonds a Vistana's spirit to the Mists, which would have a similar effect; indeed, becoming a raunie might require a Vistani woman to go through such a ritual. Most ordinary Vistani wouldn't know the details of a Vistana warlock's relationship to the Mists, and giorgos or half-Vistani wouldn't have a clue that the ceremony exists, likewise preserving the enigma of both Mists and Vistani powers.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:42 am

The_Jester wrote:That is an awesome idea.

It might work best as more of a "mist bond" than outright pact. Power leeched and stolen from the Mists.
This might be a nice replacement for Mist powers from the semi-published VRG: The Mists.

I might have to kick that idea around a bit and see if I can come up with some powers. I'd need like 13-20 for real variety. I don't know if I'd add that to my 4e Ravenloft Player's Guide, but it might be a good addition.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:43 am

Irving wrote:
rotipher wrote:I'm not sure that having the Dark Powers come so far out of the shadows as to openly accept such a pact is a good idea. They've always been the Land of Mists' greatest enigma, and should probably stay that way, not least so that DMs who interpret the DPs differently can all use the "Mist Pact" idea.
Agreed, but the precise terms of what make up any pact - infernal, star, fey, what have you - are pretty vague. There's no reason that a mist-pact warlock needs to have any sort of concrete relationship with the Dark Powers; they tend to reward both good and evil in their own ways, so a mist pact certainly doesn't have to lead to corruption and Darklord status (although at least the potential for temptation should always be there).

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Return to “Ravenloft”