[WotC] 2 Darklords in 1 Domain?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[WotC] 2 Darklords in 1 Domain?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:45 am

This topic is being archived from the Ravenloft forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted Sep 27, 2008 10:21:46.
cassandra wrote:Hello!

Does anybody know what happens if one Darklord meets another one?
That question came up because Carnival was in Valachan and the new Darklord (von Kharkov is dead!) was a former member of the carnival. I ruled that he can't enter the pocket domain anymore... I just wanted to know how you fellow DMs would rule a case like that!?

Thanks a lot!!!
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] 2 Darklords in 1 Domain?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:45 am

rotipher wrote:Despite occasional confusing statements on the issue, Carnival isn't really a pocket domain. Isolde's reality wrinkle, like those of fiends, only functions like a domain in limited ways: it impairs a darklord's Land-based ability to intuit what is happening inside (like detecting a paladin's presence), or to impose Land-based supernatural effects (like Vechor's distortions of reality or the closing of a border) within its radius. The darklord is still darklord over the area, however, and can enter the wrinkle as desired, or use spells or other conventional powers within the wrinkle's boundaries.

Isolde, herself, is not a darklord, nor are other outsiders with reality wrinkles. It's true that Isolde cannot leave the Land of Mists, but that's because her celestial superiors have forbidden her to do so, not because she's bound to the setting more firmly than any other outlander.

Given that the Gentleman Caller -- a fiend with a reality wrinkle of his own -- was able to conceive a child with a darklord (Gabrielle Aderre), it's clear that darklords and wrinkle-bearing outsiders are not barred from physical contact.

Incidentally, there are some domains which have "co-darklords" in premanent residence. Tepest, the Nightmare Lands, and post-Upheaval Borca are each shared by two or more darklords, who can interact freely within their mutual domain.

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:46 am

GMforPowergamers wrote:
rotipher wrote:Given that the Gentleman Caller -- a fiend with a reality wrinkle of his own -- was able to conceive a child with a darklord (Gabrielle Aderre), it's clear that darklords and wrinkle-bearing outsiders are not barred from physical contact.
when was that stated? I feel I am a little behind having not picked up WW ravenloft except the main book...

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:48 am

The_Jester wrote:Reality Wrinkles are more fluid. Darklords can likely overpower them or warp them. When the two come into conflict the wrinkle likely moved and shifts so the outsider is at the edge and not the middle.

Arguably, reality wrinkles are a suspension of the normal rules. In theory, a darklord could step into one and technically no longer be in their domain (and cross borders?) but this is unlikely.
Think of wrinkles like amoebas or silly putty. The darklord pushes against the edge and it oozes around him but the surface never breaks. Or like a hamster ball being pushed into Jell-O. Jell-O's all around but the hamster is untouched.
GMforPowergamers wrote:when was that stated? I feel I am a little behind having not picked up WW ravenloft except the main book...
The adventure the Evil Eye where the Caller first appeared. Plus it's referenced in Gaz4.

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:49 am

rotipher] wrote:
GMforPowergamers wrote:when was that stated? I feel I am a little behind having not picked up WW ravenloft except the main book...
Malocchio Aderre, half-fiend son of Gabrielle, was introduced in the 2E era's adventure The Evil Eye. Van Richten's Guide to Fiends established that his father was an incubus, complete with a reality wrinkle.

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:50 am

GMforPowergamers wrote:Wow I own both the adventure and the book in quastion...I feel like an idiot...although in my defence I have not lookied at any 2e stuff in almost 5 years.

Social Media

Return to “Ravenloft”