Vatraska Half-Vistani: Bonus NWPs?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
thorr-kan
Ogre

Vatraska Half-Vistani: Bonus NWPs?

Post by thorr-kan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm looking for opinions here, or possibly errata.

Domains of Dread says (p242): "Despite their natural gift for healing, these characters are seldom priests. No other restrictions are placed upon their choice of character classes. All members of this class automatically begin play with the herbalism proficiency and can purchase the healing proficiency at the cost of only one slot, regardless of their chosen class."

So, when I first read this, I interpreted it as all Vatraska Half-Vistani get Herbalism for free and can purchase Healing for 1 slot. But "All members of this class" could be read to mean just priests.

*I* think "this class" means "this race," but like I said; looking for opinions.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Vatraska Half-Vistani: Bonus NWPs?

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Yeah, I think you are right.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:57 pm

I just realized, VRMHCIII, the Vistani chapter, might actually have information on this. And guess who's away from books right now?

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 am

Back with the books!

Domains of Dread says (p242), about Vatraska Half-Vistani: "Despite their natural gift for healing, these characters are seldom priests. No other restrictions are placed upon their choice of character classes. All members of this class automatically begin play with the herbalism proficiency and can purchase the healing proficiency at the cost of only one slot, regardless of their chosen class."

Van Richten's Monster Hunter Compendium Vol III says (p185), about Vatraska Vistani: "A Vatraskan hero automatically has the Herbalism proficiency, regardless of class, and priests can take the Healing proficiency by expending only one slot."

So...full- and half-blooded Vatraskans are not created equally? Or are they?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:15 am

thorr-kan wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 am
So...full- and half-blooded Vatraskans are not created equally? Or are they?
Very strange.

It seems that the full race and half race both get free Herbalism, so you can forget about that - you have an answer to your own question there.

But it does seem that one book gives Half-Vistani better access to Healing and discourages them from being Priests...

...while the other book gives Half-Vistani slightly worse access to Healing and only if they become Priests.

I'd say that was either a misunderstanding in the second book (or the editor not spotting an error)...

...or maybe it was the second designer/editor feeling that the first book had gone too far and deliberately toning things down a bit.

I don't think it would hurt to pick the rule that you think feels better and apply it to both the full race and the half race.

Are there any books with Vatraska Vistani or Half-Vistani NPCs, where you could reverse engineer the stats to see if they have Healing...and how much they paid for it?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Ravenloft”