Oriental Domains?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Oriental Domains?

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Fri May 04, 2018 6:39 pm

I've always been a big fan of Ravenloft, but more specifically with Barovia that any other domain. I have knowledge of the setting on the whole but not with all the aspects of every domain. So I am curious if anyone can fill in a blank spot for me by filling me in if there are any domains of dread that have Oriental cultures.
In affectus veritá.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Oriental Domains?

Post by willpell » Fri May 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Don't know if any have been done canonically, but I could very easily homebrew several of them, based largely on the Thousand Hells from the White Wolf game "Kindred of the East", which is all about various Asian monster myths. For instance, Emma-O is the Yomi Lord of the Shikome; his kingdom is a cold, lightless wasteland where the damned wander across eternal snow, frostbitten but unable to die, while these razor-taloned undead women hound them for various sadistic purposes. This is all I can recall off the top of my head, but it's only one of the two best-described Yomi realms (the other one, Mikaboshi's Wicked City of Yin, is too modern to use in D&D). There's an entire book containing more of this sort of material, such as the Hell of Being Skinned Alive, whose mistress I can't recall the name of.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Canonically, there are the domains of Rokushima Taiyoo (Japanese), Sri Raji (Indian), and I'Cath (Chinese).

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat May 05, 2018 6:01 am

For Netbooks, Dion Fernandez (Midway Haven) added Xi'anlin (Chinese mountain), Dorjiloka (Tibetan), and Kungthrom (Southeast Asian, mostly Thai) in Navigaccio, while Worlds of Ravenloft contained Sanzhou (Chinese). Ryan Naylor (one of the Kargatane) hints as a Vietnamese-based domain, Dat Cua Nhen, in Children of the Night: Darklords, but it only details the Darklord, not the domain.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 05, 2018 9:56 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 pm
Canonically, there are the domains of Rokushima Taiyoo (Japanese), Sri Raji (Indian), and I'Cath (Chinese).
Do any of these link to canon D&D settings (in same the way that Sithicus links to Dragonlance)?

The 3rd Edition Oriental Adventures was published after Ravenloft's original run, so there wouldn't have been a connection to Rokugan...or Mahasarpa from the 2e Ravenloft products, but perhaps Kara-Tur or one of the older D&D products with an Asian-theme could be linked to one of these domains.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Perhaps connected to the HR Earth?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat May 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:56 am
Do any of these link to canon D&D settings (in same the way that Sithicus links to Dragonlance)?
Tsien Chiang, mistress of I'Cath, is from Kara-Tur.

I'm not aware of what world Haki Shinpi, the ruler of Rokushima Taiyoo, is from, though one denizen of his domain, the vampire Mayonaka, is definitely from Kara-Tur.

Arijani, master of Sri Raji, is from a city called Bahru on another world. I'm not sure which one, but note that Bahru is a Malay word that means "new," and the word is part of the names of a number of real-world cities in Malaysia. His mother was a human priestess of Kali and his father is Ravana.

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Sun May 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:

I have been told that one of the later Living Forgotten Realms adventures for 4e had a direct connection between the Realms and Icath, but have been unable to verify it anywhere.

-Apotheot

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun May 06, 2018 10:28 pm

apotheot wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:58 pm
I have been told that one of the later Living Forgotten Realms adventures for 4e had a direct connection between the Realms and Icath, but have been unable to verify it anywhere.
The Forgotten Realms wiki article for Tsien Chiang notes that she "played a prominent role in early EPIC Living Forgotten Realms modules," though it only linked to http://livingforgottenrealms.com rather than being more specific. Searching the archived files there, though, revealed exactly which adventures she was in.
the summary in EPIC5-2 DRAGONS DARK wrote: EPIC3~1, EPIC3~2, and EPIC3~3

Tsien Chiang, a Shou sorceress of immeasurable power and knowledge, devised a scheme to distract Lolth long enough to siphon energy from the Demonweb for her evil schemes. Disguised as a young priestess of Lolth, she manipulated a drow matron, Zarylene, into discovering the means by which Lolth could corrupt Corellon and his realm of Arvandor. Zarylene prayed to the Spider Queen with her new apprentice’s scheme. Lolth heard her prayers and launched her campaign against Arvandor shortly thereafter. Following Lolth’s departure, Tsien disappeared into the depths of the Demonweb Pits bearing the shard of an ancient artifact. She planted the artifact and quickly fled the Demonweb before Lolth’s return. Once planted, the artifact began to siphon power from the Demonweb and channel it through a planar conduit to Tsien.

Shortly after Tsien’s disappearance, the Demonweb began to unravel, erupting into chaos as entire sections dissolved and long-imprisoned demons escaped into Faerûn. Lolth returned to her realm severely weakened and furious that she had allowed herself to be tricked. All of her power bent on keeping the Demonweb together, Lolth was in need of help.

The PCs navigated their way through the dissolving Demonweb to Lolth’s throne, where she negotiated several concessions in exchange for destruction, or removal, of the shard. The PCs defeated the shard, thus bringing stability back to the Demonweb.

EPIC4~1, EPIC4~2, and EPIC4~3

Having stolen power from Corellon and Lolth, Tsien Chiang made plans to drain power from Sehanine. Following her trail, the PCs stopped Candlekeep from burning to the ground and made their way to Myth Dyraalis, where several of Sehanine’s most devout followers had been petrified while holding a vestige of the goddess’ power.

The PCs interrupted Tsien’s attempt before she could completely drain Sehanine’s power, but were unable to defeat the sorceress, due in large part to enchanted gems; the hearts that originally freed Tsien to return to Faerûn. Tsien took the power she had drained and stole the Mistress of the Night, heading to another plane to work further on her ritual.

It was then that Sehanine offered her assistance to the PCs, aiding them to muster an army to attack at I’Cath, Tsien’s stronghold, while the sorceress was out. The PCs quickly gathered armies from all over Faerûn and assaulted the island, fought their way into the Palace of Bones and overcame Tsien’s generals and daughters. They then learned that the corrupted angel Karadrach, last seen orchestrating Corellon’s poisoning, was an ally of Tsien who had aided her in creating her magic defenses, and knew a way to defeat them.

The PCs traveled through a portal to a strange land where ancient divine defenders had been misled by Karadrach and another evil angel who called up demons to face the PCs and used some strange magic to alter the flow of time around the heroes.

Karadrach used a powerful magic, called Words of Destruction – perversions of the Words of Creation the gods used to create the world – to strip the PCs of their defenses, but they still prevailed against him, and secured the research about the words which would allow them to remove the defenses of Tsien’s hearts the next time they fought. The PCs returned to the Palace of Bone through the portal, only to find that many years had passed since they stepped through hours ago. Unbeknownst to them, they had actually entered the Barrens, a duplicitous layer of the abyss that is actually a post-apocalyptic version of reality. Its Demon Lord, Oublivae, Angel of the Everlasting Void, appeared as a misguided angel. She attempted to inflict supernatural despair against the PCs and delay them from stopping Tsien’s ritual in time.

The PCs traveled for an indeterminate time in the Barrens, slaying all manner of evil and shadowy creatures, while witnessing allies tortured and destroyed. Everywhere they went, the PCs saw the effects of Tsien having successfully summoned the Hungering Dark out from Carceri and taken control of it.

The PCs threw off the effects of Oublivae’s despair, and struck back at the most dreadful forces she could muster against them. Bit by bit, they proved themselves stronger than her power, kindling a force of Hope to strike back against her magic.

Eventually, the demon monarch confronted the PCs in a final showdown. In a final fight over a bottomless pit down into the Abyss, the PCs defeated Oublivae and managed to escape her realm back to reality. There, the PCs hurried to gather information and resources necessary to stop Tsien Chiang’s ritual to summon and control the Hungering Dark.

Across four locations in and above Faerûn, the PCs fought against Tsien Chiang, liberating the power of the gods Auril, Corellon, Lolth, and Sehanine that she’d stolen, destroying her magic hearts, then finally defeating the sorceress moments before the Hungering Dark arrived in Faerûn.

Though Tsien Chiang was stopped, the Hungering Dark was freed from Carceri and lost somewhere between the planes.

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Wed May 09, 2018 8:02 am

Cool! thanks Rip!
-Apotheot

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed May 09, 2018 5:44 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 pm

What published material describes these realms? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed May 09, 2018 11:38 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:44 pm
What published material describes these realms? :)
Mistipedia has citations:
Rokushima Táiyoo
Sri Raji
I'Cath

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:37 pm
Perhaps connected to the HR Earth?
They could have connected to something in Masque of the Red Death's Gothic Earth, but I'm not sure if they covered that region of the Earth.

There could also, just as easily, be new Asian-style worlds in the D&D multiverse, that are only referenced by Ravenloft. I think that would be just as interesting as a link to the HR Earth/Gothic Earth. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:38 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 4:18 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Tsien Chiang, mistress of I'Cath, is from Kara-Tur.
Very nice.

Do you think that a bunch of people living in Kara-Tur would have been pulled over to I'Cath with her?

Is there a candidate area, within Kara-Tur, that could have vanished into the Demiplane of Dread (or been replicated in the Demiplane of Dread)?
ripvanwormer wrote:
I'm not aware of what world Haki Shinpi, the ruler of Rokushima Taiyoo, is from, though one denizen of his domain, the vampire Mayonaka, is definitely from Kara-Tur.
The Haki Shinpi article on Mistipedia has a warning saying that the article is someone's fanon.

I suppose that the original source material (Ravenloft Campaign Setting, Ravenloft Campaign Setting:Domains and Denizens - p801, Secrets of the Dread Realms - p7 and Ravenloft Campaign Setting: Domains and Denizens - pp39-40,81-82) might have some details (especially as that is three books) but I would have expected someone from Mistipedia to add some detail, if there was some useful facts in the canon.

I don't see any detail on the Mayonaka article on Mistipedia. It would be nice if they locked down the region the vampire originally came from.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Arijani, master of Sri Raji, is from a city called Bahru on another world. I'm not sure which one, but note that Bahru is a Malay word that means "new," and the word is part of the names of a number of real-world cities in Malaysia. His mother was a human priestess of Kali and his father is Ravana.
The Maharaja Arijani article on Mistipedia says that Arijani is a Rakshasa. I bet that Havard would be looking to see if Bahru could fit onto Mystara. (The main problem with doing that is that Arijani is apparantly the child of an avatar of a deity, rather than an Immortal.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 pm

apotheot wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:02 am
Cool! thanks Rip!
-Apotheot
Brilliant research!

I've previously seen some Spelljammer references in Living Forgotten Realms material. It's good to know it has Ravenloft material too.

(I wonder if LFR also has Planescape content. With the 3e and 4e Realms rebooting the planes a bit, I'm not sure it would be totally compatible with Planescape, but I bet they have some stuff that is usable.)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:01 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:38 pm
Is there a candidate area, within Kara-Tur, that could have vanished into the Demiplane of Dread (or been replicated in the Demiplane of Dread)?
She's from I'Cath, which is evidently an island off the coast of Shou Lung, though not mentioned in the Kara-Tur boxed set. Islands of Terror says that it was "ripped from the lands of Kara-Tur and transported to Ravenloft." Its only present inhabitants are Tsien Chiang and her four daughters. I don't think it's ever been defined exactly where in Shou Lung I'cath was, but Ti Erte sounds plausible.
I don't see any detail on the Mayonaka article on Mistipedia. It would be nice if they locked down the region the vampire originally came from.
Mayonaka is styled very Japanese, so I think it's safe to say he was from Kozakura.
The Maharaja Arijani article on Mistipedia says that Arijani is a Rakshasa. I bet that Havard would be looking to see if Bahru could fit onto Mystara. (The main problem with doing that is that Arijani is apparantly the child of an avatar of a deity, rather than an Immortal.)
A 2e-era article that Bruce Heard wrote about rakastas mentions the existence of rakshasas on Mystara, though they aren't a BECMI monster. If Arijani were from Mystara, he'd probably have to be from Sind, though you're correct that Ravana isn't a canonical Mystaran Immortal. According to "Setting Sun" in Dungeon #73, Ravanna is known to the rakshasas of Oerth; I'd put Oerth's Malaysia equivalent in the islands labeled "Nippon" on the Dragon Annual map of Oerth (more appropriate, given the climate and surrounding nations, than trying to make it a Japan analogue). He's probably from a more Earth-like world, though.
wonder if LFR also has Planescape content. With the 3e and 4e Realms rebooting the planes a bit, I'm not sure it would be totally compatible with Planescape, but I bet they have some stuff that is usable.)
The EPIC adventures summarized above involve the outer planes heavily.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks Rip. That's very helpful.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:24 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:01 am
A 2e-era article that Bruce Heard wrote about rakastas mentions the existence of rakshasas on Mystara, though they aren't a BECMI monster. If Arijani were from Mystara, he'd probably have to be from Sind, though you're correct that Ravana isn't a canonical Mystaran Immortal. According to "Setting Sun" in Dungeon #73, Ravanna is known to the rakshasas of Oerth; I'd put Oerth's Malaysia equivalent in the islands labeled "Nippon" on the Dragon Annual map of Oerth (more appropriate, given the climate and surrounding nations, than trying to make it a Japan analogue). He's probably from a more Earth-like world, though.
The Randara, on the other hand, is apparently the BECMI/Mystaran version of the Rakshasa. According to this account, it should be based on a very early version of the Rakshasa from Strategic Review issue 5 (as part of an uncredited column called Creature Feature).

While Ravan(n)a is not a canon Mystaran Immortal, it could easily be the Monster Ruler of Randaras (most Monster Rulers are actually unnamed).

That said, there is no reason why Arijani should be from Mystara.

GP

Return to “Ravenloft”