Ravenloft Products With Cards

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Ravenloft Products With Cards

Post by Havard » Mon May 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Related Threads: D&D 5E Cards,D&D 4E Cards, AD&D 2nd Ed Cards, Dragonlance Cards, Mystara/Classic D&D Cards, Pathfinder / Starfinder Cards, D&D Based Board Games

AD&D 2nd Edition
  • Tarokka Deck (Included in Forgotten Lore, TSR)
  • AD&D Trading Cards 1991 Series (Various Cards, TSR)
  • AD&D Trading Cards 1992 Series (Various Cards, TSR)
  • AD&D Trading Cards 1992 Gen Con Promo Series (Zombie Card, TSR)
  • AD&D Trading Cards 1993 Series (Various Cards, TSR)
  • AD&D Trading Cards 1993 Rare Set (Various Cards, TSR)
D&D 3E/D20
  • Tarokka Deck (included in Sword & Sorcery Ravenloft Boxed Set)
D&D 4E Era
  • Three Dragon Ante (Card Game, but recommended in the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft Book)
D&D 5E
  • Tarokka Deck (Gale Force 9)

I've been doing this in various forums here at The Piazza. For Ravenloft, I know about the Tarokka Decks, but how many verions of them were there?

Were there other cards for the Ravenloft Setting?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NJMystaraFan
Goblin

Re: Ravenloft Proucts With Cards

Post by NJMystaraFan » Mon May 21, 2018 11:41 pm

There are 3 versions from what I recall. The ones from the Forbidden Lore boxed set, then the deck from Sword & Sorcery for third edition (which is my favorite version), and now this new one from Gale Force 9 that went with Curse of Strahd. The 3.5 game "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" also recommended the use of the Three-Dragon-Ante deck of cards that was out at the time, though that wasn't an official Tarokka deck. And then not counting the Tarokka but you also have the collectible cards from all the various worlds that were around during second edition, (I know there was a set of Ravenloft ones, as well as the other settings at the time).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks!

Why is the 3E version your favorite? That's the one version of the Tarokka that I am still missing.

The recommendation to use the Three Dragon Ante Deck is very interesting! How are these cards supposed to be used with Ravenloft? Is that the only D&D product that mentions the Three Dragon Ante?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NJMystaraFan
Goblin

Post by NJMystaraFan » Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

I like the 3E version of the deck because the cards are bigger (I think close if not the same size as a tarot deck of cards). But I also like that the back is a simple checkerboard pattern and not the Ravenloft logo. The cards are also a faded yellowish color as if the deck is old and used. These little touches make it look like an actual fortune telling deck and not a store-bought RPG prop. (I usually wrap them in a silk hankie or bandana of some sort when I produce them for the first time to give it more of a gypsy vibe to the players at the table). I also like the Talon Dunning artwork on the cards, (I think this artist was used in a lot of the 3E books, don't have time to check that).

I never owned the Three Dragon Ante Deck but the fortune telling section in the book tells you how to run the reading using the deck, (kind of like how the original module told you how to use a regular deck of playing cards). It also tells you how to use either a real tarot deck or a regular deck of cards to tell the reading. If you own TDA deck, it says to remove the mortals and the three special dragon cards (Bahamut, Dracolich and Tiamat) from the deck and then shuffle the remaining sixty-one cards for the reading. They laying of the reading is a little more complex, crossing cards on top of each other. When I do a Tarokka reading, I tend to always use the simple cross method. It's much easy and faster. I can always do one simple cross for each PC if I need a more detailed reading.

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm

I just went through all three versions of these cards comparing them card for card to one another. And unfortunately, the 3e version differs from the original. And I am not talking about cosmetically... Some differences are good; such as the "Fighter" card in 2e being renamed "The Sword Master" on the 3e cards. But THE biggest difference, is that the "Esper" card was replaced with "The Hero" which has a totally different meaning and interpretation.

I was glad to see that the 5e deck stayed true to the original however. :D

While I've used the Tarokka deck many times in my games, I've never used The Dikesha dice.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm

While I've used the Tarokka deck many times in my games, I've never used The Dikesha dice.
Where did the Dikesha dice come from? How do they work?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:06 am

Havard wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:56 pm
The dice came in the Forbidden Lore boxed set, along with the original Tarokka deck. They are a set of 5 six-sided dice that in game, originate from the desert domain of Har' Akir.

TSR went cheap on the dice however, the set comes as 5 plain, unmarked white d6's with a set of paper stickers that you must apply yourself. The stickers depict various hieroglyph-like images.

Here's a link to a "Mistipedia" article describing them along with a basic overview of how they work:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Dikesha_Dice

If you're interested, the PDF of the Forbidden Lore boxed set (which is $9.99) over at dmsguild.com has a scan of the sticker sheet:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/17475/ ... och=0&it=1

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 am

Digitalelf wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:06 am
Havard wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:56 pm
The dice came in the Forbidden Lore boxed set, along with the original Tarokka deck. They are a set of 5 six-sided dice that in game, originate from the desert domain of Har' Akir.

TSR went cheap on the dice however, the set comes as 5 plain, unmarked white d6's with a set of paper stickers that you must apply yourself. The stickers depict various hieroglyph-like images.

Here's a link to a "Mistipedia" article describing them along with a basic overview of how they work:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Dikesha_Dice

If you're interested, the PDF of the Forbidden Lore boxed set (which is $9.99) over at dmsguild.com has a scan of the sticker sheet:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/17475/ ... och=0&it=1
Ah, thanks! I think I actually have those.

I didnt realize what they were. Thanks for the links!

I wonder if other D&D products ever came with special dice? I know recent 5E adventures have dice designed for them, but they are standard dice so its not really the same thing...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Interesting note on the original Forbidden Lore Tarokka deck: apparently, they nearly burnt out poor Stephen Fabian, between the Ravenloft interior art, the Tarokka deck, and the Gazetteer line. I remember Bruce mentioning it in one of the podcast interviews he did, but would have to backtrack through my library to find which one....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:44 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 am
Thanks for the links!
No problem :D
Havard wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 am
I wonder if other D&D products ever came with special dice? I know recent 5E adventures have dice designed for them, but they are standard dice so its not really the same thing...
I have all but a few of the 2nd edition releases, and I don't think anything else included dice (except when they included Dragon Dice they tried to pawn off towards the end of the 2nd edition line). There were other products that included cards, but those were game aids (e.g. the cards included in Birthright and 2e Mystara Products) and not props like the Tarokka were (Dragon Magazine did publish a Deck of Many Things, and Dungeon Adventures included this same deck in issue #19, but this was during 1st edition).

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:47 am

RobJN wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:58 pm
I remember Bruce mentioning it in one of the podcast interviews he did, but would have to backtrack through my library to find which one....
If you're able to find this, please post it, it sounds interesting. :D

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Actually, only 1/2 of the cards in the Mystara 2e deck are a gaming aid (they portray magic items on the front, and have a description and history on the back).
The other 30 cards look like a sort of Major Arcana from a tarot-like deck, except that the there are no standard cards associated. They are supposed to be used in a similar way to the Tarokka, but IIRC they lack the kind of instructions you get for the Ravenloft deck.

GP

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:35 pm

The others 30 are supposed to be the cards of the artefact The Deck of the Spheres, which have various magical effects explained on pages 6-9 of the Dungeon Master Survival Kit booklet.

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:09 am

agathokles wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:10 pm
The other 30 cards look like a sort of Major Arcana from a tarot-like deck, except that the there are no standard cards associated. They are supposed to be used in a similar way to the Tarokka, but IIRC they lack the kind of instructions you get for the Ravenloft deck.
I stand corrected. :)

It seems they are to be used much like a Deck of Many Things, where a card is drawn, and the power of that card is invoked. For example, when "The Giant" card is drawn, the PC's Strength score is boosted to 19 for one year. Following that, it drops to 3 for one year.

Looks like it can be just as potentially game breaking as a Deck of Many Things as well.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:47 am
RobJN wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:58 pm
I remember Bruce mentioning it in one of the podcast interviews he did, but would have to backtrack through my library to find which one....
If you're able to find this, please post it, it sounds interesting. :D
Brief mention, in his interview with the Dead Games Society episode 25, back in August, 2016, about 25 minutes in.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:56 pm

You misspelled «product» in the title of the thread : Ravenloft Proucts With Cards. :lol:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Ravenloft Products With Cards

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:55 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:56 pm
You misspelled «product» in the title of the thread : Ravenloft Proucts With Cards. :lol:
Ack, so I did! Thanks for letting me know. I have edited the OP. Will get the Dragon Turtle to fix the rest of the posts later :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Ravenloft”