Ravenloft twists on classic modules

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Ravenloft twists on classic modules

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 am

This sounded like a fun exercise: take your favorite classic module and give it a Ravenloft twist. What would happen if the module took place in one of the domains of dread?

What ideas can you add to the list?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Ravenloft twists on classic modules

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 pm

SJA3 Crystal Spheres has an optional ending where the big bad evil guy gets sucked into Ravenloft at the end of the adventure.

I think that the entire last chapter in Darkspace could be rebooted, so that the big bad evil guy gets sucked into Ravenloft earlier and pulls the PCs and the NPCs kidnapped from Thesalys are also sucked into Ravenloft with the BBEG.

If that was done, the PCs could play the entire last chapter of SJA3 in a Ravenloft domain with the focus shifting to get everyone back out.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 pm
SJA3 Crystal Spheres has an optional ending where <snip/>.

If that was done, the PCs could play the entire last chapter of SJA3 in a Ravenloft domain with the focus shifting to get everyone back out.
Spelljammer PCs in a Ravenloft adventure sounds very much like the crazy kind of mashup I would've created when I was running 2nd Edition. :)

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:28 am

Big Mac wrote:
SJA3 Crystal Spheres has...
Unless I missed something, This module lacked actual stats for T'Lann. It seems to contain enough information spread throughout the text to come up with a rough estimation of them, but if that's the case (and again, unless I am as blind as a proverbial bat), then this is yet another example of the poor editing TSR had.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE 2nd Edition AD&D, it is my go-to game of choice. I also love Spelljammer. I am just cognizant of the warts that cover my favorite game. :cool:
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Since the only "module" that I know myself to have ever participated in, aside from one session of Curse of Strahd, was Princes of the Apocalypse, I'll go ahead and use that one.

The heroes hear a rumor of trouble at an ancient, abandoned Dwarven temple. They go down into the four-cornered complex and see no clear evidence of an emergent threat. However, when they try to come back up, they find that the world seems to have been mantled in Solid Fog, and they aren't able to find any evidence of the road they came in on, or any other way of getting away from the temple. Eventually they either go back down for lack of any other place to take shelter, or if they seem unlikely to do so on their own initiative, the DM can have some elemental monsters come up out of the temple and attack the heroes, leading them to go back downstairs and figure out why there are suddenly monsters in this temple that was pretty much empty before. Once they go back down, they find that the "empty" temple is rapidly filling up with demons, elementals, and various monstrosities. Eventually, a Level-Inappropriate Encounter drives them back upstairs, where they find that the mists have lifted and revealed a massive landscape dotted with villages they don't recognize. The characters have a chance to become comfortable with this new environment, establishing relationships with the locals, and then suddenly there is an overwhelming new attack from the temple. Over time, it becomes clear that the Elder Elemental Eye is the Darklord of this new Dread Domain, and is importing huge swaths of land from other areas, specifically so that there's more world for the Elemental Princes to destroy. The entire thing is a sort of game between the four cults, and the innocent people are nothing more than objectives for them to annihilate in order to gain points; if one cult grows too dominant over the others, the Eye will declare them victorious, and the entire Domain will be snuffed out as the Eye and its new favorite minion go off to plan new deviltry.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:40 pm

Just keeping it simple, I think that the whole Palace of the Silver Princess could be surrounded by purple hazes ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:13 am

I think that the 2nd edition module GA3 - Tales of Enchantment could vary easily be used pretty much as is in a Ravenloft setting. The 2nd edition RPGA module "The Lost Shrine of Bundushatur" could be interesting as a Raveloft adventure. Here's the blurb from the back of the module:
The Lost Shrine of Bundushatur wrote:Long ago, the Lords of Chaos strove with the forces of Law and were defeated. Their great temple destroyed and their minions scattered to the four winds, the Chaos Lords withdrew, and a new balance held sway in the land. But prophecy said that one day the fallen temple would rise again, heralding the Lords' return to spread Chaos across the world once more.

And now comes a cry for help from the dwarves of Isar, saying that the Lost Shrine has risen from the beneath the dark waters of the lake that kept it hidden for thirteen centuries. Already forces are gathering? some eager to plunder the temple's legendary treasures, some wishing to join under the Chaos Lords' banner, some desperate to destroy the shrine before the world they know is swept away.

"Find the Chaos Key," says the prophecy. " The hand that hold the Key may shape the future." But will you be in time to be the one?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:03 am

willpell wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:15 pm
Since the only "module" that I know myself to have ever participated in, aside from one session of Curse of Strahd, was Princes of the Apocalypse, I'll go ahead and use that one.
I think I like this idea better than the way the actual adventure was presented. :) Well done.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:28 am
Big Mac wrote:
SJA3 Crystal Spheres has...
Unless I missed something, This module lacked actual stats for T'Lann. It seems to contain enough information spread throughout the text to come up with a rough estimation of them, but if that's the case (and again, unless I am as blind as a proverbial bat), then this is yet another example of the poor editing TSR had.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE 2nd Edition AD&D, it is my go-to game of choice. I also love Spelljammer. I am just cognizant of the warts that cover my favorite game. :cool:
They included a copy of the monster sheet in the back of the module. I guess they thought that was enough and that poeple would run T'Lann using just that.

If Spelljammer had been a 3rd Edition thing, they would have been obliged to create a bespoke 2 page statblock and backstory for T'Lann instead of giving people the standard sheet. ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm
They included a copy of the monster sheet in the back of the module. I guess they thought that was enough and that poeple would run T'Lann using just that.
Yeah... I know, but I can't think of another module from either 1st or 2nd edition that said "Just use the MM for THE antagonist of this adventure". Sure, they did this a lot with random and minor encounters, but the central BBEG?

Can you imagine them doing that for 1e's I6: Ravenloft or it's 2e update: House of Strahd??
Big Mac wrote:
If Spelljammer had been a 3rd Edition thing, they would have been obliged to create a bespoke 2 page statblock and backstory for T'Lann instead of giving people the standard sheet. ;)
LOL... Indeed. At least two pages, probably more! :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:58 am

Digitalelf wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 am
Big Mac wrote:
Yeah... I know, but I can't think of another module from either 1st or 2nd edition that said "Just use the MM for THE antagonist of this adventure". Sure, they did this a lot with random and minor encounters, but the central BBEG?

Can you imagine them doing that for 1e's I6: Ravenloft or it's 2e update: House of Strahd??
There are a lot of things that happened in 2e, that I can't imagine them doing, if I use other 2nd Edition products as a standard.

2e had some brilliant ideas, but some of it was implemented in radically different ways. SJA3 Crystal Spheres gets some real mixed responses from fans. I think it has some of the best Spelljammer content in it. It is certainly the first time that a SJ adventure actually stepped away from the three crystal spheres in the original boxed set and fleshed out some new crystal spheres in significant detail.
Digitalelf wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 am
Big Mac wrote:
LOL... Indeed. At least two pages, probably more! :lol:
There is some information about him scattered through the adventure, but it would have been a bit better if it had been compiled in one place.

And you kind of need to know about Forgotten Realms to understand his background. I might start a topic about him sometime and see what can be inferred from Forgotten Realms products.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:35 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:58 am
There are a lot of things that happened in 2e, that I can't imagine them doing, if I use other 2nd Edition products as a standard.
Yeah, and like I said, I love 2nd edition, it is my go-to game... And I love it - ugly warts and all! ;)
Big Mac wrote:
There is some information about him scattered through the adventure, but it would have been a bit better if it had been compiled in one place.
Even though I have not run this particular module, I have gone through it and compiled all of the information I could find on him.
Big Mac wrote:
I might start a topic about him sometime and see what can be inferred from Forgotten Realms products.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with if you start this topic.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:35 am
Big Mac wrote:
Yeah, and like I said, I love 2nd edition, it is my go-to game... And I love it - ugly warts and all! ;)
Big Mac wrote:
Even though I have not run this particular module, I have gone through it and compiled all of the information I could find on him.
Big Mac wrote:
I might start a topic about him sometime and see what can be inferred from Forgotten Realms products.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with if you start this topic.
I don't have my copy of SJA3 with me, but I've started a topic called: [spoilers] Does SJA3 tell us enough about T'Laan? I'll grab my copy of Crystal Spheres later and start skim reading for information.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Quoth the Raven: Issue 22: Lost Legacies has an article, called Domains that Came Before, that includes details about T'Laan as a darklord. :)

Cromstar
Gnoll

Post by Cromstar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:56 am

Quoth the Raven has good stuff. One day I'll finish my post for that in time for publication.

I was just looking at that T'Laan bit in there myself and wondering if any of that was inspired or sourced from canon products.

Return to “Ravenloft”