The nature of Domains of Dread in 5E

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
KtA
Bugbear

Re: The nature of Domains of Dread in 5E

Post by KtA »

Well, to permanently kill Strahd, you "just" have to figure out what and where the Dark Powers really are and then go kill them, so they can't bring him back anymore... :lol:

My own crackpot theory is that the Dark Powers/Mists are actually the dreams of Tharizdun, who is so "entropic" that he continually wears away at his prison. So when the gods imprisoned Tharizdun, they wove his own power into his prison so that his dreams would reach out to corresponding evil on other worlds - drawing bits of those worlds in continually to "reinforce" the prison.

This would however imply that any domain will eventually decay into the Mists if you give it a couple of thousands/tens of thousands of years...

(I came up with this because of the "Demi-Plane of Imprisonment" paragraph in the 1E Manual of the Planes. At the time I assumed this was a reference to Ravenloft, but much later I learned the Demiplane of Dread hadn't been invented yet and this was a Tharizdun reference. So I ended up connecting the two.)

But that's kind of off topic.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

KtA wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 am
My own crackpot theory is that the Dark Powers/Mists are actually the dreams of Tharizdun, who is so "entropic" that he continually wears away at his prison. So when the gods imprisoned Tharizdun, they wove his own power into his prison so that his dreams would reach out to corresponding evil on other worlds - drawing bits of those worlds in continually to "reinforce" the prison.
That's an interesting take. I actually like that! :cool:
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

Cromstar
Bugbear

Post by Cromstar »

KtA wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 am

This would however imply that any domain will eventually decay into the Mists if you give it a couple of thousands/tens of thousands of years...

(I came up with this because of the "Demi-Plane of Imprisonment" paragraph in the 1E Manual of the Planes. At the time I assumed this was a reference to Ravenloft, but much later I learned the Demiplane of Dread hadn't been invented yet and this was a Tharizdun reference. So I ended up connecting the two.)

But that's kind of off topic.
Very, very similar to the background I use with in our multiverse here.

In ours, the two are separate: Imprisonment is where his 'physical' body is located (there are other things here as well); but to prevent exactly what you described, his mind was imprisoned in another plane (Dread), where the few fragments of it that aren't fully contained are the Dark Powers. The DPs aren't fully conscious entities, but they are attracted to evil, drawing it in into the plane, where the very nature of the plane and all that evil power does all the things.

KtA
Bugbear

Post by KtA »

Hmmm... Curse of Strahd lists the novel I, Strahd as a source, and there are brief quotes from it at the beginning of three or four of the chapters (others have quotes from the Tome of Strahd, or Strahd quotes which appear to have been made up anew).

That novel does describe Barovia very much as it's presented in Curse of Strahd: an isolated land completely surrounded on all sides by Mists - no land borders. The novel does follow the 2E picture of the Demiplane of Dread, it's simply set early in Barovia's history before the other Core Domains show up (in fact, it starts with Strahd's original conquest of Barovia still on the Material Plane); the sequel I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin, has the appearance of Forlorn, Darkon, etc.

Still, this might be a big part of where the 5E Curse of Strahd setup for Barovia comes from.

Return to “Ravenloft”