Grim Harvest Info?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.

Grim Harvest Info?

Postby BlU_sKrEEm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:15 am

During an after game conversation about future campaigns we'd like to play a friend of mine mentioned a Ravenloft supplement called Grim Harvest. He described it as Council of Wyrms for zombies. Since I can't fathom how that could be pulled off, and my Google searches haven't turned up much, I figured I'd ask about it here. So can anyone tell me about Grim Harvest?
BlU_sKrEEm
Gnoll

Re: Grim Harvest Info?

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Blu_Skreem :)

I found two reviews here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Draw ... rvest.html

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby BlU_sKrEEm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Havard wrote:Hi Blu_Skreem :)

I found two reviews here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Draw ... rvest.html

-Havard

Hey Harvard. i've become somewhat of a lurker on these boards, as my Mystara games have been put on hold for a while now.

Much thanks for the reviews. Given the player's description I was expecting the supplement was about undead PC's becoming demi-lords themselves, but those reviews don't sound very promising. The adventure sounds pretty poor. The rules for PC undead sound interesting if reworked a bit, but not worth the price it's demanding online these days, but it has given me a few ideas.
BlU_sKrEEm
Gnoll

Postby blackaeon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:47 pm

I think that, honestly, Ravenloft is a really poor setting for undead (or most monstrous) PCs just due to the power checks and such, but Libris Mortis does offer a lot of great options for an undead PC party, especially if it's a world of undead (maybe Atropus from Elder Evils got too close!) or doing a reverse us vs. them game. The Necropolitan template from the Ravenloft Gazetteer that covers Necropolis (III? II? I forget) could be really useful too.
Mostly a Ravenloft expert, with a good deal of knowledge about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and a bunch of non-D&D related games. Also a Hell of a cook.
blackaeon
Troll

Postby agathokles » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:11 am

Undead PCs in Ravenloft only make sense in the context of Necropolis and the related Grim Harvest events. The rules in the Requiem box do cover zombie and other undead PCs, but, as the review report, are not so great. The box is only recommended if you are playing 2e and really want to have undead PCs.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 am

Interestingly it seems like the rules were modeled after the BECMI PC series...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Yes. Unfortunately, that approach doesn't work too well in AD&D (at least, not as it is handled in R:GH). A better treatment of monstrous PCs was offered by the Kargatane netbook (can't remember which of the Books of S... series) for Lycanthropes, also modeled in part on the PC series.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Paladyn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Grim Harvest is a campaign and sourcebook. During two parts heroes uncover a sinister plot: somebody stores life energies of humans and demihumans in crystal skulls. Third and final adventure is set in Ill Aluk, where a Doomsday Device is settled. In Hour of Ascension device explodes, turning all living creatures into undead. Then layeres have an option to convert thier characters to undead, rules for playing uch are presented.

Despite being strange mix of dungeon crawl, hack n' slash and some climatic scenes, I remeber foundly those adventures and had lot of fun while running them. As for undead rules: priest become mummies, wizards become liches and rest of classes becomes undead type corresponding with number of their hit dice.
Paladyn
Gnoll

Return to Ravenloft