The Hexad of Hyskosa

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
kristhomas
Bugbear

The Hexad of Hyskosa

Post by kristhomas » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Has anyone actually tried running the adventures that make up the hexad?

It's problematic to say the least because the suggested levels for the party vary wildly they are

Feast of Goblyns 4-7
Ship of Horror 8-10
touch of death 3-5
night of the walking dead 1-3
thoughts of darkness 12-15 (not sure about this one)
roots of evil 9-12
from the shadows 9-12

I bought the black box set as soon as it came out, and bought and tried to play these adventures as they came out got two adventures in and my campaign fell apart.

Has anyone got any ideas for a better fix than simply re ordering them, i've been working on a different metaplot maybe pulling in some other adventures, and would appreciate your thoughts

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: The Hexad of Hyskosa

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Indeed, the adventures are not really set up in a sequence, though time-travel can happen through the Mists.

The FAQ at the Fraternity of Shadows website suggests reordering the adventures and the verses to follow the level progression.
Thoughts of Darkness, BTW, is not part of the Grand Conjunction series.

A third solution would be to have different parties complete different parts of the prophecy -- the "main" party will follow through Feast of Goblyns, Ship of Horror, Roots of Evil and From the Shadows, while two lower level parties (or perhaps the same party if several characters die or are level-drained during Touch of Death) are involved in the events of the two remaining adventures.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Interesting!
I have only played feast of Goblyns and I had no idea they could be played as a series.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

kristhomas
Bugbear

Post by kristhomas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Havard,

the series only really kicks off in touch of death, with a scroll containing the prophecy hidden where the PCs are not likely to find it but retro-actively referencing feast and ship, but night of the walking dead is centred around the prophecy, as well as the difficulties mentioned above there is also the tricky Arijani/Inajira confusion as "Web of Illusion" had originally been meant to be part of the series but was dropped, seemingly to make way for "The Grand Conjunction" which to these cynical eyes seemed to be an excuse to bring out another boxed set (red box)

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:47 pm

I've always enjoyed Touch of Death. A very simple module, not a lot of support but a lot can go on in it!

kristhomas
Bugbear

Post by kristhomas » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 am

Bouv,

Touch of Death is the last module i ran about two years ago we haven't (yet) finished it, the gypsy girl has been badly injured and the PCs have taken her to the priestess for aid :twisted:

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 pm

kristhomas wrote:Bouv,

Touch of Death is the last module i ran about two years ago we haven't (yet) finished it, the gypsy girl has been badly injured and the PCs have taken her to the priestess for aid :twisted:
Uh oh...sounds like if you ever get to finish it, the PC's will discover that the priestess isn't the nicest of all people!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 am

agathokles wrote:The FAQ at the Fraternity of Shadows website suggests reordering the adventures and the verses to follow the level progression.
Thoughts of Darkness, BTW, is not part of the Grand Conjunction series.
Wouldn't you need to follow the signs of Hyskosa's Hexad in the order that the ryming couplets were written?

Mistipedia frustratingly does not provide citations, but I'm guessing that they would have put this down in the correct order.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

kristhomas
Bugbear

Post by kristhomas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 am

it's particularly annoying as the order of the hexad is a major plot point and supposedly the reason why the whole thing fails

Alerion
Goblin

Post by Alerion » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:48 pm

My fix for the modules of the Hyskosa Hexad is to simply screw the "canon" and rearrange them to suit an ongoing campaign. There are some gaps that need filling. Thus here's my campaign structure:

1) Introduction. A steam boat trip to Levkarest, Borca. Meet Rudolph van Richten.
2) Chilling Tales #2, The Undying Justice. Introduce the mood and society of Ravenloft. With or without VR.
3) Night of the Walking Dead. Introduce the Hyskosa Hexad in full, Grand Conjunction event #1 passes.
4) Children of the Night: Werebeasts, Vladimir Nobriskov. In Port-a-Lucine. With VR.
5) Howls in the Night. On the road to Mordentshire, Mordent. With VR.
6) The Evil Eye. Karina, Invidia. (My GC event #2. I shoved the Feast of Goblyns since it was simply terrible) The new verse for the Hexad is "The boy in black, thwarted and boud - his mother is shattered, broken with astound."
7) CotN: Created: Alexandre du Cire. Zeidenburg, Gundarak. With VR.
8) The Nightmare Lands. Egertus, Nova Vaasa. I changed Dr. Harrod Tasker to Daclaud Heinfroth, since I ditched the FoG, but need to introduce the "good" doctor and his methods to the players. VR goes missing.
9) Touch of Death. Mudar village, a little pocket domain NW of Egertus, Nova Vaasa. GC event #3.
10) Dark of the Moon. Vorostokov.
11) Heavily rewritten Ship of Horrors mixed with Chilling Tales #5, The Surgeon's Blade. Tirgo, Sanguinia and Sea of Sorrows. Meredoth gets the boot and is replaced by Emil Bollenbach, an old colleague of VR. GC event #4. When the curse of the captain is broken, the ship sinks in a storm.
12) Bleak House. Dominia. Imagine the shock as the party finds their captor is the sadist Heinfroth and again as they find the missing VR in a terrible condition.
13) From the Shadows. Near Il Aluk, Darkon. This dungeon crawl will need a LOT of rewrite. GC event #5
14) Roots of Evil. Prime material Barovia.

That should be quite a journey to the characters and the players aswell. If they still feel like playing, their characters are getting powerful and might be suitable for three more adventures:

1) Vecna Reborn
2) Thoughts of Darkness
3) Die Vecna Die!

Alerion

kristhomas
Bugbear

Post by kristhomas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:19 am

Have you re-written the hexad? is it still a hexad? I really like this campaign structure, like building up to Bleak House, i also place copies of Van Richten's books as treasure in Ravenloft (given the hauntings in Bleak House this can be of some use to them). I do feel the need to crowbar HoS and HoGH in there somewhere, because they are so central to Ravenloft as a setting

Alerion
Goblin

Post by Alerion » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 am

House of Strahd or House on the Gryphon Hill. Those two need some work to fit in the storyline. One thing that comes to mind is slipping either one into From the Shadows. The 1st part of FtS is about time travel to the moment of the birth of Ravenloft, and Azalin reasons that if two significant items are removed from Castle Ravenloft, a paradox will weaken the structure of the demiplane. What if the characters we sent to "a time before" to kill Strahd and ransack the place? That's what I'd really call a weakening paradox. Still, both modules need work, because HoS is a simple dungeon crawl and HotGH is in Mordent (WTF?).

Have you read "I, Strahd"? I would like to include the scene where the shit hits the fan, i.e. when Strahd has killed Sergei and the wedding is beginning. All those guests waiting for a never-to-appear-groom, the Barovian wedding march playing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UfT0jVzNkw starts at 30 seconds), then one of the few of the still standing castle guards bursting in, yelling "Murder! Murder! Sergei has been murdered!", then some more guards rushing inside with a hail of arrows in their wake, yellin "Treason! The castle is under attack!" This means the coup is underway and should get the players into high gear and to realise that their mission has just become a lot more challenging.
This ofc builds up to where Tatyana jumps off the cliff and Strahd's vampiric powers come to effect and he starts tearing the insurgents apart. Terrifying, exciting - and so tragic. (Edit: The full theme song for this could be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbJqvItvYmg, where there is a smooth bit for the Tatyana-Strahd incident, a rise-up when the first arrows pierce Strahd, and then to action.)

Back to the HoS/HotGH part. I myself would like to modify HotGH to suit the needs. The dual-Strahd is a very strange idea. Any ideas on how to fit either module to fit into the scheme of weakening the structure of Ravenloft?

P.S. How does one include a file in the post?
P.P.S Yes, I did some work on the Hexad. It's still a hexad though, but I shoved Feast of Goblyns and replaced it with The Evil Eye.

kristhomas
Bugbear

Post by kristhomas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Maybe the rod of rastinon could be another item needed to weaken the demiplane, seems a little neat

Isn't it the Boritsis who organized the coup? You're right in saying HoS is a dungeon crawl, maybe if the time-travelled characters got stuck there, had to hide in the village during the "Sturm" attacks and then have to re-enter the castle, maybe with allies to get back to the right time?

Oo heres a thought, what if they are in barovia when Mordent joins the core? They obviously explore the new land and get embroiled in HoGH

PS i dont know how

OscarZDiggs
Kobold

Post by OscarZDiggs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:44 pm

As pointed out by others, the obvious first step is to rearrange events so that Night of the Walking Dead comes first, then Touch of Death, followed by the others in their iriginal order. Rearrange the hexad to match that order. Insert other adventures to fill it out. I'm finishing NotWD over the next 2 sessions, and I'm planning to throw some more action at them based on the Souragne Gazeteer.

I plan on inserting Ravenloft I6 (or more likely 5th ed version Curse of Strahd) / House on Gryphon Hill I10 before From the Shadows, and since that's a time travel episode, of course Strahd won't recognize them. Roots of Evil may get tricky, but, time travel and history rewrite.

My big problem is how to Integrate Ship of Horrors between Feast of Goblyns and I6 since they're both pretty well landlocked. To make matters worse, the party is carrying their own collapsible boat (a punt and a cog). Any thoughts out there?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 pm

It works out fine if you assume that there are level draining undead facing the PCs in various adventures throughout the sequence! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 pm
It works out fine if you assume that there are level draining undead facing the PCs in various adventures throughout the sequence! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
I suggested this solution in the first reply to this post, over 6 years ago! :twisted:

GP

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am

agathokles wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:27 pm
I suggested this solution in the first reply to this post, over 6 years ago! :twisted:
Haha! So you did! Great (evil) DMs think alike!
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Ravenloft”