[4e] Giant Space Hamster at d20Monkey

A project to create a Spelljammer conversion to 4th edition rules.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[4e] Giant Space Hamster at d20Monkey

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:02 am

There is a 4th Edition conversion of the Giant Space Hamster at the d20 Monkey blog.

d20 Monkey has kind of rebooted the critter as being created from energy from the Far Realm.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Re: [4e] Giant Space Hamster at d20Monkey

Post by TBeholder » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:30 am

Wait, in 4e not everything is created from Energy and Far Realm? :D
Also, the 4e fan is vigilant against Skills&Powers. That's what killed xD&D, after all. ;)
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [4e] Giant Space Hamster at d20Monkey

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 pm

TBeholder wrote:Wait, in 4e not everything is created from Energy and Far Realm? :D
I didn't see a reason for that to be in there, to be honest, but I thought that the people that play 4e would want to see this conversion (even if they decide to build a different one).
TBeholder wrote:Also, the 4e fan is vigilant against Skills&Powers. That's what killed xD&D, after all. ;)
I've got no idea about that. :? :lol:

I've never played 4e and with its terms like "The Controller" I find it as confusing to read the crunchy bits as when I go to role play on a MMO and people start asking me if I am going to be a "tank". I don't dislike 4e (like some other people seem to) but meta-gaming speak when I'm trying to role play really turns me off. In the unlikely event that I ever switch to 4e D&D, terms like that will go out of the window and I would try to play 4e in a 2e style.

I've tried to follow 4e conversations by Spelljammer fans*, but the only bits I really follow are the non-crunchy bits where people talk about what is cool about monsters in plain English. But to be fair to this conversion, it was done quite a long time ago (October 2010) and the d20 Monkey is not the only SJ fan I've seen to reboot stuff. There are quite a lot of us that build our own take on things. Maybe he was trying to make the Giant Space Hamster more "sensible" or somesuch.

* = Because all Spelljammer fans are cool even if they are playing with some weird system I don't know.

However, the 4e SJ fans have been quiet for some time. So I invite them to do better than d20 Monkey, either by building a "better" (and that is subjective term) version of the Giant Space Hamster that works better for 4e - or - by building some of the other variants of Giant Space Hamster. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Spelljammer 4E Conversion Project”