[4e] Conversion - who is interested in taking part?

A project to create a Spelljammer conversion to 4th edition rules.
Elvith Jars
Ogre

Re: [4e] Conversion - who is interested in taking part?

Post by Elvith Jars » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I can understand where you're coming from. For The Thirteenth Planet, I decided that small craft like fighters and shuttles are treated like mounted creatures; their actions occur on the character's initiative and their powers are for the player to control. For a larger NPC ship with multiple crewmembers, I treat them just like monsters to make my bookeeping easier. For the PC ship, it's a combination of the two: the helmsman is treated as the mounted character, so the PC ship moves on the helmsman's initiative, and the helmsman may control some of the ship's powers and attacks. But other ship powers are controlled by the rest of the party. When that's not reasonable, I give players other allied units to control such as fighters and marines.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:45 pm

This thread was supposed to be a rallying call to see if enough people are interested, but there have been so many new threads started, that I've taken the liberty of asking Ash for a Spelljammer for D&D 4e community project forum. (Please do not spam Ash's request thread with "yes please" comments. You can do that here, in this thread, if you like.)

If/when Ash decides to create this project forum, I'll be moving these threads over there, just as was done with the 3e conversion threads and that project.

Good luck!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:48 pm

Big Mac wrote:Good luck!
Just one more thing....

@ Dragonhelm: I'm "blaming" you for this surge in 4e SJ interest. So I've stuck your name in the hat as one of the two moderators of the 4e conversion forum. :P :lol: :twisted:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:25 am

I'm looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with, and wish I had time to do more than cheer you on :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

ravensmuse
Ogre

Post by ravensmuse » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Okay, now that I've read the thread a little bit better...

Big Mac, you deserve like, a pat on the back or something. You're amazing! To see past edition and preferences and tell people straight up that if no one says something like this, no one will step up to do it, that's really incredible. Kudos to you. I can understand edition preference and I'm straight up cool with that; myself, I love 4e and love BECMI, so seeing someone post that while it may not be something they enjoy but they know other people might...out of sight.

Aside from that.

The first question we have to ask ourselves when we begin to convert is this: what needs to mechanically be converted. Because fluff is easy to revise - that's the point of my post above, and that's relatively easy.

But mechanically, what exists within the already working 4e material that we can just steal from, and what actually needs to be converted?

One thing stands out as the biggest issue: ship to ship combat. This is going to be the heaviest thing to think about, because on the surface, it looks simple enough, but it's the tiny details that are going to do a conversion in. Treating each ship as a "creature" and assigning them stats based on a helmsman sounds simple enough, but I can trust that something will come along and throw a wrench in the works.

Because we go into this already knowing we're going to have to convert races, monsters, and items. That's going to be a big ol' meaty sandwich to tackle. Races alone will need to have themselves converted, and then racial feats and paragon paths are going to need to be created in order to flesh out the different aspects of each race (despite the work this will take, it's still one of the most satisfying design decisions WotC made for 4e). Then we'll need to come up with class paragon paths, and then general paragon paths, and that's not even going into Epic Destinies (which won't be *so* bad, but). And that's not even thinking about the Powers...oi.

If anything, the monsters are going to be simple as pie. We've got the tools to do it already, and it's a quick and easy trip over to the monster builder on WotC's website to do.

Items are going to be the middle child. While it's simpler now, we still have to take into consideration things like magical items for ships and such.

But on the whole, I think Sj will be very easy to convert for.

Elvith Jars
Ogre

Post by Elvith Jars » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:15 pm

The thing about ship combat is that it's already been done. If you read The Plane Above, you'll find rules for skill challenges and skill usage as it pertains to ship combat. Plus, there are stats for different types of astral craft with various types of race-specific traits. Also, spelljammer helms are devices that propel ships with magic and serve as planar foci to reach another plane. So a straight up conversion should probably take into account the official publications. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:12 pm

ravensmuse wrote:Big Mac, you deserve like, a pat on the back or something. You're amazing! To see past edition and preferences and tell people straight up that if no one says something like this, no one will step up to do it, that's really incredible. Kudos to you. I can understand edition preference and I'm straight up cool with that; myself, I love 4e and love BECMI, so seeing someone post that while it may not be something they enjoy but they know other people might...out of sight.
Thanks Ravensmuse.

<copies Silverblade and does a bow>

The thing is that I love Spelljammer and I know that 4e players deserve to have someone open the door and let them into our community. And, while I found the Spellplague thing a bit unsatisfying and found some other 4e elements unsatisfying, I certainly didn't want people to think that somehow meant that I wouldn't want to talk to 4e fans about SJ.

I'm really pleased that there are so many people working on threads here. I think it needs a bit of organisation (at some point). I'd like to see a 4e netbook get made, so someone would need to flesh out a structure for it.

BTW: If you do want to help with a BECMI retro-conversion of Spelljammer, I suggest you head back to the main SJ forum and start up a thread for it.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Good luck!
Just one more thing....

@ Dragonhelm: I'm "blaming" you for this surge in 4e SJ interest. So I've stuck your name in the hat as one of the two moderators of the 4e conversion forum. :P :lol: :twisted:
Uh....thanks?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Big Mac wrote:@ Dragonhelm: I'm "blaming" you for this surge in 4e SJ interest. So I've stuck your name in the hat as one of the two moderators of the 4e conversion forum. :P :lol: :twisted:
Uh....thanks?
If I get anywhere with adding in some new 3e stuff for Krynnspace, perhaps you could help me convert it to 4e rules.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:14 pm

David, I appreciate you thinking about me in all of this. However, I really do not have time to dedicate to this project. Right now, my focus is on finishing up my degree and working in web design.

I may contribute the oddball thing here or there, but that's about it.

Sorry, man. :oops:
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:David, I appreciate you thinking about me in all of this. However, I really do not have time to dedicate to this project. Right now, my focus is on finishing up my degree and working in web design.

I may contribute the oddball thing here or there, but that's about it.

Sorry, man. :oops:
No problem. Real life is more important than imaginary life. :D

Knowing my speed, you might be finished before I am! :oops: :o

Return to “Spelljammer 4E Conversion Project”