Spelljammer 4e (on EN World and here)!

A project to create a Spelljammer conversion to 4th edition rules.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Spelljammer 4e (on EN World and here)!

Post by Knightfall » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:00 am

I based my design on the Scro on Beyond the Moons, so I went with the bonuses listed there.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

glenw
Ogre

Post by glenw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:42 am

As I said it was my personal opinion. If you want the offical published stats from 3E for a scro its +4 Str, +2 dex, +2 Con. That and darvision and +1 to attacks against elves nets them a +2 level adjustment

Relative to the 3E orc that gives them +2 dex, +2 con, +2 int, +2cha, AND +2 wis...I think 4E has a lot of problems but capitol of that (imo) is that there are not attribute penalties. So, I don't know what the Orc PC class looks like, but I know it would not have penalties, so given that the Scro has all bonuses relative to the Orc (except Str) then you are relatively free to pick whichever you want

;)

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:46 pm

glenw wrote:As I said it was my personal opinion. If you want the offical published stats from 3E for a scro its +4 Str, +2 dex, +2 Con. That and darvision and +1 to attacks against elves nets them a +2 level adjustment

Relative to the 3E orc that gives them +2 dex, +2 con, +2 int, +2cha, AND +2 wis...I think 4E has a lot of problems but capitol of that (imo) is that there are not attribute penalties. So, I don't know what the Orc PC class looks like, but I know it would not have penalties, so given that the Scro has all bonuses relative to the Orc (except Str) then you are relatively free to pick whichever you want

;)
I think the only orc PC race description for 4e is the one in the back of the MM, unless it has been done on DDI, which I still refuse to sign up for. And I do wish 4e had been designed with attribute penalties. I've even toyed with the idea of adding in such penalties. However, t this point I want to keep what I'm designing in line with D&D Essentials.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:53 am

Hurwaet [Wiggle]

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 6' - 7'
Average Weight: 190 - 230 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Strength or Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common and Draconic.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Perception

Natural Jumper: A hurwaet is always considered to have a running start when jumping.

Tough Scales: You gain a +1 racial bonus to AC.

Cloud of Fog: You have the cloud of fog power.

Cloud of Fog [Hurwaet Racial Power]
You create a billowing cloud of mist that obscures vision.

Daily ◊ Conjuration
Standard Action | Area burst 2 within 10 squares
Effect: You conjure a burst of arcane fog. The cloud lasts until the end of your next turn. The fog grants concealment to creatures in its space and blocks line of sight.
Sustain Minor: The cloud persists.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:04 am

Hadozee

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 5' 6" - 6' 0"
Average Weight: 200 - 250 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Strength or Wisdom
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common and Hadozee.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Athletics

Natural Climber: A hadozee doesn't grant combat advantage to foes while climbing. In addition, a hadozee that takes damage while climbing has no risk of falling.

Glide: You have the glide power.

Glide [Hadozee Racial Power]
You can glide through the air as easily as you walk across the ground.

Encounter
Requirement: You must be at least 2 squares above the ground or on an edge to use this power.
Move Action | Personal
Effect: You can move 4 squares through the air for every 1 square of descent to a maximum of 8 squares.
Restriction: You cannot glide upward, can glide downward only 1 square per round, and have an altitude limit of 20. In all other respects, gliding is like flying.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Aperusa

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 5' 6" - 6' 2"
Average Weight: 125 - 210 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity or Constitution
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Endurance

Aperusa Fortitude: You gain a +1 racial bonus to Fortitude. In addition, you gain a +5 racial bonus to saving throws against all harmful, breathable substances as well as death saving throws.

Mental Toughness: You gain a +2 racial bonus to defense rolls against powers that cause psychic damage.

Human Bloodline: You can take feats that have human as a prerequisite (as well as those specifically for aperusa), as long as you meet any other requirements.

Hidden Soul: You have the hidden soul power.

Hidden Soul [Aperusa Racial Power]
???

Encounter
Minor Action | Personal
Effect: ???

- I want this power to be based on the v.3.5 nondetection spell, which is what BtM race conversion gets. Any suggestions on how best to do this?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

glenw
Ogre

Post by glenw » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Not sure that non-detection really works as an encounter power...I mean, most divination is initiated outside of combat. besides, an encounter power that makes divination spells not find you once combat has already started is not that useful. It certainly would be if combined with racial stealthiness or invisibily powers or the like, but you have not given them anything like that.

This may be reading my own opinion into it but I always assumed the nondetection was more based on the idea of these people not wanting to be found after they leave the area.

I also noted that the Wiggle's fog power above does not purify the air, which is one of the awesome reasons to keep get one on your crew.

I realize that is difficult to come up with encounter powers, but Gliding with the Hadozze, I think of as a method of motion. I mean, does this really mean that their flaps only work once in any fight? This effectivly means that a Hadozze could not glide down a hole by jumping from side to side. It would be like a person having "punch" as an encounter power.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:02 am

glenw wrote:Not sure that non-detection really works as an encounter power...I mean, most divination is initiated outside of combat. besides, an encounter power that makes divination spells not find you once combat has already started is not that useful. It certainly would be if combined with racial stealthiness or invisibily powers or the like, but you have not given them anything like that.

This may be reading my own opinion into it but I always assumed the nondetection was more based on the idea of these people not wanting to be found after they leave the area.
That is the problem. It doesn't seem to fit as a 4e power. I'm not sure what I want to do for the Aperusa. The other major magical ability they have (as per Beyond the Moons) is feign death, which is just as problematic as a power.

Do you have any recommendations?
glenw wrote:I also noted that the Wiggle's fog power above does not purify the air, which is one of the awesome reasons to keep get one on your crew.
Well, that all depends on whether or not my version of Spelljammer 4e is set in the standard Wildspace that uses air envelopes. I haven't decided yet.
glenw wrote:I realize that is difficult to come up with encounter powers, but Gliding with the Hadozze, I think of as a method of motion. I mean, does this really mean that their flaps only work once in any fight? This effectivly means that a Hadozze could not glide down a hole by jumping from side to side. It would be like a person having "punch" as an encounter power.
Well, the glide power might be better as an at-will power but I can't say for certain. None of the core 4e races have the ability to fly, so I don't think its a good idea for a new race to be able to take to the air at will.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:03 am

Giff

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 6' 5" - 7' 0"
Average Weight: 250 - 350 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution or Charisma
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Common, Giant
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance [or maybe History], +2 Intimidate

Giff Weapon Proficiency: Giffs gain proficiency with all hand-held firearms and ship-board weapons (i.e. bombards).

Large and in Charge: You gain a +1 racial bonus to all damage rolls with melee weapons. In addition, you gain a +1 racial bonus to Fortitude.

Soldier's Fortune: You gain a +2 racial bonus to AC when bloodied.

Head Butt: You have the head butt power.

Head Butt [Giff Racial Power]
You can use the plates on you head to butt an enemy.

Encounter
Minor Action | Melee 1
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength, Constitution, or Charisma +3 (6 at 11th level and 9 at 21st level) vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Charisma modifier damage.
- Level 11: 2d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Charisma modifier damage.
- Level 21: 3d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Charisma modifier damage.
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:52 am

Knightfall wrote:
glenw wrote:Not sure that non-detection really works as an encounter power...I mean, most divination is initiated outside of combat. besides, an encounter power that makes divination spells not find you once combat has already started is not that useful. It certainly would be if combined with racial stealthiness or invisibily powers or the like, but you have not given them anything like that.

That is the problem. It doesn't seem to fit as a 4e power. I'm not sure what I want to do for the Aperusa. The other major magical ability they have (as per Beyond the Moons) is feign death, which is just as problematic as a power.

you could stop trying to do an *exact* conversion and do something approximate.

is there some particular reason you couldn't just give them an always-on higher defense against detection powers?

and give them a triggered on-death ability that automatically stabilises them, teleports them a short distance (say range 5?) and renders their body invisible while placing an illusion in their original location? yes, it's a lot for a racial power, but it isn't really powerful ultimately.

glenw
Ogre

Post by glenw » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:25 am

I agree with Jaid, I don't see a reason why Aperusa can't just have an always on power. Who cares if it does not have a similar effect in 4e...last I checked, 4e didn't have Aperusa but that doesn't seem to be stopping you.

Hadozze can't fly so I would't worry about that either. All they can do is fall with style. Its not like in the middle of combat they can take wing and reign holly fire down on their enemies. In the majority of player scenarios combat field is relatively flat. Even if it isn't the PC will have to get to a high location before they can overwhelm their adversaries with their ability to move forward while moving down. If you think that is too powerful you can add realism to it and say that gliding is a standard action (except perhaps for some kind of bull rush asssault). Regardless, even being "at-will" it is not even truly that as it is inherently situation based (no drop, no glide). Having a species based ability to breath underwater could net you a level adjustment in a water world campaign setting but would be forgettable for most PCs in most campaigns in most situations (especially Darksun).

A ship inherently has height. so a Hadozze high in the riggings obviously have the opportunity to glide, but once "glode" the trick is over...and what do they get for their troubles, either well away from the fight or right in the middle of all of it.

even so, you could very legitimately put armor restrictions or encumbrance restriction on gliding.
Last edited by glenw on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

glenw
Ogre

Post by glenw » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:47 am

I have been confused about this "or" business with the attributes and you finally got me to look up my 4e books, They don't have any "or" where is this coming from?

Also, it seems like all your builds have encoutner powers, but only 5 of the 8 core races do.

I also feel the need to point out that "Athletics" seems to be a go to skill for your builds.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:08 am

glenw wrote:I have been confused about this "or" business with the attributes and you finally got me to look up my 4e books, They don't have any "or" where is this coming from?
D&D Essentials. And PHB3 and Dark Sun.
glenw wrote:Also, it seems like all your builds have encoutner powers, but only 5 of the 8 core races do.
Again, D&D Essentials.
glenw wrote:I also feel the need to point out that "Athletics" seems to be a go to skill for your builds.
I hummed and hawed over what to give the Giff as its second skill adjustment, and I didn't want to go with Endurance again.

Nothing is written in stone, of course.
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:18 am

Jaid wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

you could stop trying to do an *exact* conversion and do something approximate.

is there some particular reason you couldn't just give them an always-on higher defense against detection powers?

and give them a triggered on-death ability that automatically stabilises them, teleports them a short distance (say range 5?) and renders their body invisible while placing an illusion in their original location? yes, it's a lot for a racial power, but it isn't really powerful ultimately.
Interesting... something to consider.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

glenw
Ogre

Post by glenw » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 am

Well, 4E felt the need to get rod of the the proffession skills, if not so I would have given them +2 to Profession (soldier / mercenary) since they all seem to be that and thus apparently have a predaliction to it.

In response I would only really have History or Diplomacy to go with to emphasis their love of suits and such. No good fits.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 am

glenw wrote:Well, 4E felt the need to get rod of the the proffession skills, if not so I would have given them +2 to Profession (soldier / mercenary) since they all seem to be that and thus apparently have a predaliction to it.

In response I would only really have History or Diplomacy to go with to emphasis their love of suits and such. No good fits.
I do dislike that there isn't any Profession or Craft skills in 4e, but I'm not at the point where I feel comfortable house ruling them back into the game. Therefore, I'm going to stick to what's available.

History could be an interesting choice but the creature entry for the Giff on Beyond the Moons specifically says they're not good at Diplomacy, which is why I disregarded it as a choice. Insight might be another possible choice. And the more I think about it, the more I don't like Athletics. I'm going to change it to Endurance, for now.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Religion in Spelljammer 4e

Player's Handbook Deities
Avandra
Bahamut (Known Spheres deity [4e FRCG])
Corellon (Known Spheres deity [4e FRCG])
Erathis
Ioun
Kord (Known Spheres deity [GH])
Melora
Moradin (Known Spheres deity [4e FRCG])
Pelor (Known Spheres deity [GH])
The Raven Queen
Sehanine (Known Spheres deity [GH])

Evil and Chaotic Evil Deities
Asmodeus (Known Spheres deity [4e FRCG])
Bane (Known Spheres deity [4e FRCG])
Gruumsh (Known Spheres deity [4e FRCG])
Lolth (Known Spheres deity [4e FRCG])
Tiamat (Known Spheres deity [4e FRCG])
Torog
Vecna (Known Spheres deity [GH])
Zehir

New Deities
Known Spheres
- Amaunator [lawful good] [4e FRCG]
- Baervan Wildwanderer [Exarch] [good] [4e FRCG]
- Celestian [good] [GH] (key SJ deity)
- Cyndor [unaligned] [GH]
- Fharlanghn [unaligned] [GH]
- Istus [unaligned] [GH]
- Lunitari [unaligned] [DL]
- Lydia [good] [GH]
- Mouqol [unaligned] [GH]
- Osprem [unaligned] [GH]
- Pholtus [lawful good] [GH]
- Selûne [good] [4e FRCG]
- Shinare [unaligned] [DL]
- Sirrion [unaligned] [DL]
- Solinari [lawful good] [DL]
- Tymora [good] [4e FRCG]
- Waukeen [unaligned] [4e FRCG]
- Zilchus [unaligned] [GH]

Other Spheres
- Arnelee [good] [KW]
- Asterius [good] [KW]
- Avani [unaligned] [2E Birthright]
- Ixion [good] [KW]
- Ninfangle [unaligned] [KW]
- Protius [unaligned] [KW]
- Rathanos [unaligned] [KW]
- Ruornil [unaligned] [2E Birthright]
- Simurgh [good] [KW]
- Sinbad [good] [KW]
- Usamigaras [unaligned] [KW]
- Utnapishtim [unaligned] [KW]
- Valerias [good] [KW]

Other Deities
- Belenus [good]
- Frey [good]
- Hermes [good]
- Lugh [unaligned]
- Nanna-Sin [unaligned]
- Odur [good]
- Ptah [unaligned] (key SJ deity)
- Puchan [good]
- Ratri [unaligned]
- Re-Horakhty [lawful good]
- Savitri [good]
- Soma [good]
- Surya [lawful good]
- Tsuki-Yomi [good]
- Tyr [unaligned] (listed in Rock of Bral)
- Utu [good]

New Evil and Chaotic Evil Deities
Known Spheres
- Hiddukel [chaotic evil] [DL]
- Loviatar [evil] [4e FRCG]
- Nuitari [evil] [DL]
- Pyremius [evil] [GH]
- Shar [evil] [4e FRCG]

Other Spheres
- Aracne Prime [evil] [KW]
- Eloéle [evil] [2E Birthright]
- Nyx [evil] [KW]
- Zugzul [evil] [KW]

Other Deities
- Anshar [chaotic evil]
- Hecate [evil]

Polygots
Known Spheres
- Krynn [Dragonlance]
- Oerth [Greyhawk]
- Toril [4e FRCG]

Other Spheres
- Aebrynis [2E Birthright]
- Eberron [4e ECG]
- Mystara [Known World]

Planar Churches
Arvandor
Celestia
Hestavar

Following the Light [3E MotP]
Elishar [good]
Toldoth [evil]

The Faith of the Sun [3E MotP]
Taiia [unaligned]

The Path & The Way [2E SJ Concordance of Arcane Space p. 20]
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Just a note...

Post by Knightfall » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:22 pm

FYI... this thread is open to anyone who wants to take what I've already done here and develop it more. I'm not as keen on 4E as I once tired to be. I will look in here once in a while if people have any general questions they want to ask me.

Cheers!

KF
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Sable Aradia
Autognome

Post by Sable Aradia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:28 pm

Knightfall, are you going to copy over your 4E Bral stuff to the new magazine? If not, may I?
Blessed be,
Sable

Toy Soldier Saga: http://toysoldiersaga.wordpress.com
Toy Soldier Saga on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/toysoldiersaga
Wildspace: The Spelljammer Fanzine!: http://spelljammerblog.wordpress.com

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Sable Aradia wrote:Knightfall, are you going to copy over your 4E Bral stuff to the new magazine? If not, may I?
if you want to take what I've done and rework it for the magazine, go ahead. I'm not very keen on D&D 4E, so I won't be revisiting that thread on EN World.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “Spelljammer 4E Conversion Project”