Converting 3.5 D20 to Talislanta

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

Converting 3.5 D20 to Talislanta

Postby hobo_2k » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:38 am

Has anyone converted D&D material (spells) TO Talislanta 4e/5e?

I am pretty well done with D&D and/or Pathfinder so I am looking to try something different. The problem is the Talislanta world while I love it is too...alien..I guess is the best way to phrase it for the group to easily get behind. I have a great campaign setting set and ready to go just want to change the mechanics away from D&D/Pathfinder. We tried Savage World but that did not go too well.

I think the mechanics of the Omni System used in Talislanta would work great I just have drawn a blank at converting the magic system spells over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
hobo_2k
Goblin

Re: Converting 3.5 D20 to Talislanta

Postby writermonk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 am

Tal's native magic system isn't really compatible with the D&D system.

I guess the best way to do it would be to look at an individual spell and then translate it directly over. However, I think that you're going to find a huge discrepancy in exactly what spells do and the "levels" people get them at.

I'd suggest that you look at the spells in 2nd or 3rd edition Tal to get an idea for stuff that's slightly closer to D&D 3.X

There was a Tal d20 book that might give you some ideas as well. (The new Talislanta: Savage Lands is going to have a D&D 5th edition version too.)

Is there a certain spell you've got in mind? I could try some conversions to give you examples.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby writermonk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:50 am

Like, for example, the ubiquitous Magic Missile (from the d20 SRD)

Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
A missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.

The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.

For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you gain an additional missile—two at 3rd level, three at 5th, four at 7th, and the maximum of five missiles at 9th level or higher. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage.

So, to start with, this is clearly an Attack Mode spell from the Wizardry Order (though you could easily do something similar with other Orders).

Let's look at a 1st level D&D caster's Magic Missile (difficulty goes up as you add in those additional targets for Tal)

First off, we know it's an Attack spell, that it deals DR 5 (1d4+1 maxes out at 5), and that it has a range of 110 feet. So, Attack, DR 5 (=Level 5), 110' range (50 base, -6 for extra range).

Hotan's Magic Missile. DoD -11 (Level 5, -6 for range).

Fairly simple. You could change that to Elementalism (Pyromancy) for a bolt of fire, for instance, and you'd get an Order bonus of +3 to your Attack Mode spells which would make that DoD easier.

Now, a DoD of -11 isn't the always hit of D&D's Magic Missile, but someone who's a pure spellcaster (like a starting Cymrilian Magician) is going to have a big enough bonus to their MR and Modes that they can probably cast that without too much of a sweat.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 am

Welcome to The Piazza Hobo 2K.

It looks like Wintermonk is already helping you. I hope that is the sort of direction you want to go into. Good luck converting all the D&D spells you need.

You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic, say "hi" to everyone, and tell people about the sort of stuff you like to talk about.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby hobo_2k » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks guy...I think I am going to give up on converting spells and just play the system as written and structure it more along the lines of Orders not specific spells
hobo_2k
Goblin

Return to Talislanta