WotC's talislanta-l mailing list and AOL community

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

WotC's talislanta-l mailing list and AOL community

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm

I just saw (on page 2 of Sub-Men Rising) that Wizards of the Coast used to run a bespoke mailing list (called talislanta-l) on their listserv mailing list service.

I also saw that they had a Talislanta folder on their AOL community.

Did anyone here take part in the Talislanta Mailing List or hang out at the AOL community?

How big were the two communities?

Did anything of them get archived? If so, has any of it been put up on Talislanta.com?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

writermonk
Ogre

Re: WotC's talislanta-l mailing list and AOL community

Post by writermonk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 pm

There have been (that I know of) two different Yahoo! groups lists...

As I recall, the initial Y!Group was the original WotC talislanta-l list (or migrated to that?). Then Yahoo did some restructuring of its groups and message board organization and the second Y! group list was made. (Incidentally, it's still up, but it's not necessarily active any longer. Most discussion happens either on individual boards like this, the FB group, reddit, etc.). The Y! list had about 400 accounts connected to it.

Some of the articles that used to be there are still there AND archived on Talislanta.com - mostly under the Fan materials subheadings (there's about 4 or 5 different pages there divided into archetypes, fiction, spells, and so on).

However, at a quick glance, I can tell that there's some stuff that's not there. I'll have to track that down when I've got more time.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Also, the stuff that is 'archived' are simply small bits that were cleaned up and presented as individual usable material, usually by one author.

The actual conversations and discussion threads aren't really saved anywhere (except that one still extant but inactive Y! Group).
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:11 pm

writermonk wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 pm
As I recall, the initial Y!Group was the original WotC talislanta-l list (or migrated to that?). Then Yahoo did some restructuring of its groups and message board organization and the second Y! group list was made. (Incidentally, it's still up, but it's not necessarily active any longer. Most discussion happens either on individual boards like this, the FB group, reddit, etc.). The Y! list had about 400 accounts connected to it.
Interesting.

When I was on one of WotC's other mailing lists (spelljammer-l) it definitely was not run on Yahoo! I think it was called Oracle.

It was a WotC server and eventually they shut it down and deleted mailist postings for lots of D&D campaign settings.

There was no talislanta-l at that time, but they had also pulled the mailing list for Wheel of Time. I'm guessing that if something is licence, WotC gets rid of the fan support, when the licence runs out. (It's one reason I like third-party fan support.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Isn't it a bit odd that WotC ran a forum for a setting they did not own the rights to?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:12 am

Wizards had the license from 1992-94, and sold some older Bard books - I have a copy of A Naturalist's Guide to Talislanta that has Bard Games on the spine and a WotC sticker on the back cover.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:28 am

Yeah, Talislanta and The Primal Order were WotC's first foray's into gaming. They had the licenses for a few years, sold a bunch of books, and then hit on some card game idea and subsequently dropped RPGs to focus on that. Ha! Silly ol' gents.

Then later on, they translated the success of their card game into buying D&D.

Interestingly enough, the man at WotC behind 3rd edition D&D is the same guy who was overseeing the stuff for Talislanta when they owned it. There are some similarities between the two but that only makes sense because they both came out of the same source (Tal grew out of SMS's homebrew stuff for D&D through his Atlantis/Compleat series).

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 am

Funnily enough, The Lexicon (for Atlantis) is the only Bard book I have other than the Naturalist's Guide. I think I got it from Lloyd Brown's shop in Jacksonville.

Return to “Talislanta”