Atlantis, Bard Games and later versions

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
pawsplay
Ogre

Atlantis, Bard Games and later versions

Post by pawsplay » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:20 am

Who's actually played this and how was it?

I was obsessed with The Arcanum as a young person, but it was the middle of the Satanic Panic so I never bought it or had a chance to play. More than thirty years later, I have a copy of The Arcanum (2e) and Atlantis: The Lost World, and I am fascinated to hear from anyone who ever had a chance to play.

jdrakeh
Goblin

Re: Atlantis, Bard Games and later versions

Post by jdrakeh » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm

I played either 1e or 2e (not entirely sure which) back in the mid-90s. It was a great change of pace from vanilla D&D.

pawsplay
Ogre

Post by pawsplay » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:56 am

Did you make much use of the crafting and downtime stuff? Mix any powders?

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:55 pm

I played it a few times in high school in the early 90s. I loved the Arcanum.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Is this the game that used the same rules as Talislanta?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

pawsplay
Ogre

Post by pawsplay » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:34 am

Originally, it had its own rules. Those rules were themselves cobbled together from the Compleat products, plus a new magic system. A couple of later editions used the Omni System, which is based on the Talislanta system.

AlHazred
Gnoll

Post by AlHazred » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:44 pm

We used it as an add-on for AD&D 1E back in the day. My DM wanted to have crafting rules, so he used the Compleat Alchemist to add a crafter class to the mix. I don't know that anybody ever played one, but it let him put all of the interesting alchemical doodads into the game.

I always wanted to use the magical classes from the Arcanum. There is a lot that is interesting in there. And the Lost World setting is fantastic. Unfortunately, I never got a group that wanted to play it.
ROLAND VOLZ
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Running: D&D 5E Adventurers League, Traveller Hero 6E | Playing: D&D 5E, Fate Core | Planning: Fate Core, D&D 5E Sandbox

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:07 am

I was the only one that used it - I stole the Beastmaster class for AD&D (with a couple of tweaks).
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

AlHazred
Gnoll

Post by AlHazred » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm

One thing I loved was that spellcasters in the Arcanum felt different from each other. The different magic-user specializations all felt pretty much the same, drawing from the same spell lists, in AD&D. But in the Arcanum, you had the single-classed casters (alchemist, astrologer, magician, mystic, necromancer) and dual-classed magic-users (enchanter [magician/harlequin], monk [martial artist/mystic], savant [scholar/mystic], sorcerer, thaumaturge [magician/alchemist], witch/warlock, witchdoctor, witch hunter [hunter/mystic], wizard). Some dual classed spell casters (mage, sorcerer, witch/warlock, witchdoctor, wizard) receive the dual class designation because they can easily learn magic from two or more disciplines normally associated with a single classed spell caster, while others combine a spellcaster with a martial class. Each single-classed magic-user had unique spells that only they could get. It made every spellcaster unique and powerful.
ROLAND VOLZ
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Running: D&D 5E Adventurers League, Traveller Hero 6E | Playing: D&D 5E, Fate Core | Planning: Fate Core, D&D 5E Sandbox

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

pawsplay
Ogre

Post by pawsplay » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:22 am

I love the custom magic-user classes and I have often thought about how I would incorporate them into other game systems.

Return to “Other Worlds”