3rd Edition Thralls

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

3rd Edition Thralls

Postby hawkwood » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi all.

Third edition Talislanta has generally been my favorite version, and I was thinking of starting up a new game. Thralls have always been my favorite archetype, partly because they were on the cover of 2nd ed. They are supposed to be military geniuses, yet the 1st - 3rd ed didn't give them command or tactics skills. In 2nd ed, you got a free bonus skill, so you could always pick up Command with that skill. In 4th Thralls got tactics and command, but in 3rd edition, they would need to buy command as a rudimentary skill. I was thinking of

(1) adding command to the basic 3rd ed archetype. Any reason not to do so? OR
(2) add Tactics (which doesn't exist in 3rd ed), since Thralls understand tactics but are not necessarily leaders OR
(3) just giving them a 'tactical bonus' in mass combat when calculating MCR

Thoughts?

Thanks
hawkwood
Goblin

Re: 3rd Edition Thralls

Postby Mulsiphix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:41 pm

I don't see any reason not to add command to the basic 3E archetype. This was my first thought when I read your question. I'm not sure if #2 would present any kind of difficulties mechanics wise if you introduce this. I know very little of 3E. If #3 suits what you're after "feel" wise then I say go for it. The most important thing is that the Thralls in 3E look and feel the way you think they should in 3E. Generally with Tal balance isn't a serious issue. Tal chooses to be more thematic than "fair" IMO.
No Elves! Talislanta released for FREE Apr 1st 2010! - - - - - - - - - -1980's Talislanta Gencon Ad and Poster
20yr RPG, 30 books @ approx 5,000 combined pages! - - - - - - - - - Interview with creator Stephan Michael Sechi
Download the Talislanta library or take a Virtual Tour! - - - - - - - - -The Tal Scanning Project needs your help!
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby hawkwood » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:08 am

yes, adding command makes the most sense to me too. They're supposed to be the premier warriors of Talislanta, yet don't have command. I could see an argument that they were bred to follow, no lead, in which case 'tactics' might make more sense.

Thanks
hawkwood
Goblin

Postby Justinov » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:26 pm

hawkwood wrote:Hi all.

Third edition Talislanta has generally been my favorite version, and I was thinking of starting up a new game. Thralls have always been my favorite archetype, partly because they were on the cover of 2nd ed. They are supposed to be military geniuses, yet the 1st - 3rd ed didn't give them command or tactics skills. In 2nd ed, you got a free bonus skill, so you could always pick up Command with that skill. In 4th Thralls got tactics and command, but in 3rd edition, they would need to buy command as a rudimentary skill. I was thinking of

(1) adding command to the basic 3rd ed archetype. Any reason not to do so? OR
(2) add Tactics (which doesn't exist in 3rd ed), since Thralls understand tactics but are not necessarily leaders OR
(3) just giving them a 'tactical bonus' in mass combat when calculating MCR

Thoughts?

Thanks

Not knowing about Talislanta I'm a bit surprised that Thralls (Old Norse for indentured servants) should be the primary warriors? I mean where should they learn all that stuff as Thralls often just tended animals and fields?!

Are they more like "Mamluks" - young boys forcefully taken from subservant ethnic/religious groups and being brought up in a military way?
The Mamluks eventually took power in Egypt, though still being slave-soldiers. They were often of Christian origins, especially from the Balkans.

If they are supposed to be military geniuses then I feel something like a Preussian army education might account for that and then certainly tactics and command should be central - so I'll go for the 4'th edition version!
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby hawkwood » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Justinov wrote:

Are they more like "Mamluks" - young boys forcefully taken from subservant ethnic/religious groups and being brought up in a military way?
The Mamluks eventually took power in Egypt, though still being slave-soldiers. They were often of Christian origins, especially from the Balkans.

They are a magically created warrior 'race' that were freed from their creators by a great magical disaster. So, they were sort of slaves and Mamluks might be a reasonable comparison.
hawkwood
Goblin

Postby Justinov » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:31 pm

hawkwood wrote:
Justinov wrote:

They are a magically created warrior 'race' that were freed from their creators by a great magical disaster. So, they were sort of slaves and Mamluks might be a reasonable comparison.

Sounds Mamluk-like, but since they have been freed, then they are not strictly slaves anymore. So they just kept using the name for historical reasons or is it what others still call them?
One would think they would start to call themselves something more grand then ;)
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby hawkwood » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:02 pm

Thralls is the 'game' name for them. I guess that's what they and everyone else call them. They are portrayed as pretty no-nonsense, so I don't think they'd go after more grandiose names.

NT
hawkwood
Goblin

Postby Justinov » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:02 pm

hawkwood wrote:Thralls is the 'game' name for them. I guess that's what they and everyone else call them. They are portrayed as pretty no-nonsense, so I don't think they'd go after more grandiose names.

Thanks! That makes some kind of sense.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Return to Talislanta