New Talislanta Book

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

New Talislanta Book

Postby writermonk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:56 pm

So, the swamp demon is out of the murk, as they say and it's public knowledge that there's a new Talislanta title in the works.

Tentatively titled "Talislanta: the Savage Land", the new book will deal with the time surrounding the Great Disaster. A lot of it will deal with life after the GD - scattered tribes battling for resources and survival.

One thing jotted up as ad-copy/cover blurb was the following:

Talislanta: Savage Land is old school roleplaying with a modern twist. Easy
to learn and play: just choose a tribe from ### colorful archetypes,
customize your character, and you're ready to roll.

With all original content and full-color art, T:SL is the first all-new
Talislanta game in over 25 years. It comes with everything you need to
play, packaged in a boxed set that includes 2 (or 3) full color books,
color maps, ### detailed Encounter Tables, a Game Master's screen, and an
original soundtrack CD.

Enter the world of T:SL and be prepared for a gaming experience like no
other. Start your own tribe or go solo - forge alliances, battle deadly
predators, encounter nomad traders, salvagers, and entities from other
planes of existence.

Fight for survival in a war-torn realm where magic is a lost art ,and
warlike tribes roam the shattered wastelands. Scour the ruins of the fallen
Sky Cities in search of powerful artifacts, enchanted weapons, forgotten
arcana, and fabulous treasures. Beware of the Gyre, a massive maelstrom of
chaotic magical energies left over from the Sorcerers War, which moves at
random across the face of post-Disaster Talislanta.

Build your own stronghold, defend it against all challengers, and see if
you can be the first to start a new civilization. Or becomes the scourge of
the Savage Land, and lay waste to all that stands in your way.

The choice is yours in Talislanta: The Savage Land.

30 Years Later. Still No Elves.

Now, that's early stuff, so none of that is promised. Think of it more as a conceptual idea with things that we're aiming at.

In a bit of exciting news, once we anchor down the major sections of the book we're going to be going to the fans for some brainstorming ideas. Fans will be able to submit (in a short 2-3 sentence submission) things that they would like to include for a given section. We won't necessarily use everything but we will go through the list and pull out some things that 1) we enjoy too and 2) fit in with what SMS has started to outline for us.

I've seen some of SMS's early notes for T:SL and there are some things in there that might shake up the currently known history and accepted canon of Talislanta.

There's room in the book (currently) for bits of information not only from Talislanta and the Midnight Realm (lots of demonic activity in SL), but also pulling in things from the Unknown Lands of Altarus, Celadon/Temesia, and Draknar!
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Re: New Talislanta Book

Postby writermonk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:49 am

Right now we've got:

SMS doing creative lead for writing, art, and music (yes, music)

John Harper working on system tweaks and revisions

A writing team consisting of myself (Doug Bramlett), Mark 'Tipop' Williams, Colin Chapman, and Desi Conrad.

An art team consisting of Adam Black, Richard Wallace, and Ron Spenser.

All of that sounds pretty amazing to me so far. But, we'll still need help from the fans to pull it off.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Mulsiphix » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:55 pm

That is extremely impressive. That lineup is extremely exciting and I have huge applause for Desi! This will be her first Tal product, yes? A box set sounds fantastic! Tal never had a box set did it? There are so many cool things you could fit in there. I'm especially excited about the part where you'll be consulting the fanbase. That should help with kickstarter support quite a bit. The Tal website might actually have fodder for news for a change =P
No Elves! Talislanta released for FREE Apr 1st 2010! - - - - - - - - - -1980's Talislanta Gencon Ad and Poster
20yr RPG, 30 books @ approx 5,000 combined pages! - - - - - - - - - Interview with creator Stephan Michael Sechi
Download the Talislanta library or take a Virtual Tour! - - - - - - - - -The Tal Scanning Project needs your help!
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby writermonk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Desi actually wrote a big Seven Kingdoms book under Morrigan Press, but like a lot of other Manuscripts, it never went anywhere.

Actually, if I remember correctly, she had her 7K book finished before I'd even done Northern Reaches.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Mulsiphix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:27 am

Is that one of the books on the list of manuscripts you could have published via the Dead Books project?
No Elves! Talislanta released for FREE Apr 1st 2010! - - - - - - - - - -1980's Talislanta Gencon Ad and Poster
20yr RPG, 30 books @ approx 5,000 combined pages! - - - - - - - - - Interview with creator Stephan Michael Sechi
Download the Talislanta library or take a Virtual Tour! - - - - - - - - -The Tal Scanning Project needs your help!
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:04 am

Mulsiphix wrote:A box set sounds fantastic! Tal never had a box set did it? There are so many cool things you could fit in there.

I have heard that boxed sets are more expensive to create than hardback or softback books.

One other concern is that if Talislanta: the Savage Land was a conventional product (or a number of conventional products sent out together to Kickstarter backers) it could carry on later, as a Print on Demand product (or a number of separate Print on Demand products). But if something was put together as a boxed set, it would be a lot harder to get that remade on a Print on Demand basis.

Perhaps a "Limited Edition boxed set" created from elements that will later be separate products would be a way to have the coolness of a boxed set, without the disadvantages of the format.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Mulsiphix » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:49 am

I don't think there is anything you could put in a physical box set that you couldn't just make available in PDF format. Well accept for physical miniatures. But a simple paper mini PDF could easily rectify that for the PDF edition of the box set. I'd love to see both options made available :).

I follow a lot of folks who create their own wargames over at BoardGameGeek and yeah a box set is very expensive to make. Most of these folks barely cover the printing costs, much less make a profit. Maybe the box set could only be available to Kickstarter backers so those costs are guaranteed to be covered?
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby writermonk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:56 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mulsiphix wrote:A box set sounds fantastic! Tal never had a box set did it? There are so many cool things you could fit in there.

I have heard that boxed sets are more expensive to create than hardback or softback books.

One other concern is that if Talislanta: the Savage Land was a conventional product (or a number of conventional products sent out together to Kickstarter backers) it could carry on later, as a Print on Demand product (or a number of separate Print on Demand products). But if something was put together as a boxed set, it would be a lot harder to get that remade on a Print on Demand basis.

Perhaps a "Limited Edition boxed set" created from elements that will later be separate products would be a way to have the coolness of a boxed set, without the disadvantages of the format.

Yeah. That's something the wife and I were discussing.

If it's a cardboard box like the old D&D ones, it won't hold up. The One Ring did a nice slipcover out of sturdy stuff, but that likely won't hold all the stuff that's currently being planned.
writermonk
Ogre

Return to Talislanta