Starting Skills (2nd Edition)

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

Starting Skills (2nd Edition)

Postby Draig-Athar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:32 am

Hello Folks,

I have a question: with how many additional skills does a character start in Talislanta 2nd Edition?

Page 9: Choose one bonus Skill, and mark this down on your character sheet.

Page 54: Each player is allowed to pick up to three Comon Skills related to his or her Background

Does that mean I can choose 4 additional skills: any one (except Primary Combat, Primary Magic, Secondary Combat, or Secondary Magic) plus three from my Background?
Draig-Athar
Goblin

Re: Starting Skills (2nd Edition)

Postby writermonk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:00 pm

In general, yes that's what it means.

You as a GM (or your specific GM) may have a different interpretation, but that's the way I used to run it.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Boneguard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:24 pm

Well if you follow the wording of both passages, you could technically have from 0 to 4 additional skills.

Page 9: You could choose not to take the bonus skill.

Page 54: they do say "up to 3 common skills" meaning choosing 0, 1, 2 or 3 common skills are all valide options.

Granted why would you go for less the 4 skills begs to be asked.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Draig-Athar » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:05 am

Thank you guys!
Draig-Athar
Goblin

Postby writermonk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Not a problem.

As I recall, we always took those two bits to mean 'pick out some unique skills to customize your character/create a background'

Like, a Djaffa with the Swim skill, or a Sindaran who knows an additional Language (and each brain uses a separate one), or a Kasmiran with impeccable fashion sense.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Return to Talislanta