Talislanta: The Savage Lands is out for playtest

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

Talislanta: The Savage Lands is out for playtest

Postby Imaginos » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Just figured people would be interested to know that work on Talislanta: The Savage Lands continues. The playtest files have been distributed to the playtest team.
Imaginos
Goblin

Re: Talislanta: The Savage Lands is out for playtest

Postby Draig-Athar » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:27 pm

That's great news, thank you for sharing!
Draig-Athar
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:51 am

Imaginos wrote:Just figured people would be interested to know that work on Talislanta: The Savage Lands continues. The playtest files have been distributed to the playtest team.

Thanks for the update.

I was waiting to see something about this on Kickstarter. Have they funded this from the comic Kickstarter or another method?

Is there an official press release anywhere?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:30 am

I'd never heard of Talislanta until now. I'd be interested to learn more about the setting and the upcoming edition, if you're able to share.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Imaginos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:54 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Imaginos wrote:Just figured people would be interested to know that work on Talislanta: The Savage Lands continues. The playtest files have been distributed to the playtest team.

Thanks for the update.

I was waiting to see something about this on Kickstarter. Have they funded this from the comic Kickstarter or another method?

Is there an official press release anywhere?

I'd say your best source of information at this time is the Talislanta facebook group. That is where the call for playtesters went out and where most updates have been made.

The RPG has not been funded by anything yet. There will be a separate kickstarter to fund it when it nears completion. From my understanding, they want it mostly done before kickstarting.

BTW, I'm one of the playtesters, not anybody tied to the production of the game.
Imaginos
Goblin

Postby Imaginos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:03 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I'd never heard of Talislanta until now. I'd be interested to learn more about the setting and the upcoming edition, if you're able to share.

Talislanta is one of my favorite settings. Something about the art of P.D. Breeding-Black back in the 1st/2nd edition days of it captured my eye and I've loved it since. Not to slight any of the other artists, because there have been a lot of really talented artists involved in the game (I realize you didn't ask that part, but that's what caught me first).

My first exposure to Talislanta was the 2nd edition handbook, with a Thrall Warrior on the cover (waist-up picture), covered entirely in colorful tattoos, holding his greatsword in front of him.

The previous editions Talislanta is a fantasy setting long after a magical apocalypse. The tag-line was "No elves", though many folks like to point out that there are elf stand-ins. It is not your standard fantasy though. Despite the elven stand-ins, most of the races are not the typical fantasy options. And character balance is not something that occurs based on the races. Balance is something that really has to be managed by the GM in running the adventures.

The next edition, Talislanta The Savage Lands, is set much closer to the apocalypse. Reading through the races, you can see some of the future races in the ones presented. It is a very interesting direction for someone who has enjoyed the setting for decades. I don't have time to discuss much more right now, but will try to give more as I have time.

If you are interested in checking the earlier editions out, take a look at www.talislanta.com. All of the previous editions are available as free PDFs there. Something very cool that the creator, Steven Sechi, gave his full blessing on.
Imaginos
Goblin

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks, Imaginos. That's very helpful. I really like that the earlier editions are offered for free. That makes it easy for me to check them out. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:35 am

Imaginos wrote:I'd say your best source of information at this time is the Talislanta facebook group. That is where the call for playtesters went out and where most updates have been made.

I'm a member of that group, but I've been busier than I used to be and have had less time to go there. I'll have to try to get back soon.

Imaginos wrote:The RPG has not been funded by anything yet. There will be a separate kickstarter to fund it when it nears completion. From my understanding, they want it mostly done before kickstarting.

That's a good idea. If it is mostly finished, that should help prevent delays.

Imaginos wrote:BTW, I'm one of the playtesters, not anybody tied to the production of the game.

Playtesters, like you, are important. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby writermonk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Imaginos wrote:BTW, I'm one of the playtesters, not anybody tied to the production of the game.

As one of the writers and head editor for the early draft, I'm interested in your ideas/feelings about how the setting stuff in the playtest. I realize it has gone through a couple of edits since my team and I handed it off, but its neat to see how some things translate out. Especially since we had some notes about the direction/scope of things that were explicitly not included in the text.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Return to Talislanta