Talislanta Print on Demand reprints hard or softback?

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

What type of Print on Demand format would you prefer to buy Talislanta books in?

Hardback
40%
Softback
20%
A mixture of both (please explain why)
40%

Total votes : 5

Talislanta Print on Demand reprints hard or softback?

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Two years ago DriveThru RPG published the first Print on Demand Dungeons & Dragons book: Elemental Evil Player’s Companion. Last year, they started to bring back out of print D&D books as Print on Demand versions.

Since then, SMS has had people asking for the free Talislanta PDFs that he authorised Talislanta.com to distribute to be brought back as Print on Demand reprints.

First SMS said this:
Steve Sechi on the Facebook group for Talislanta wrote:I have some interesting news for those of you who have asked about POD versions of the old Talislanta books. DriveThru RPG has expressed an interest in doing this, and I thought it would be nice for anyone who prefers actual books to PDFs.

Then he said this:
Steve Sechi on the Facebook group for Talislanta wrote:OK, POD book fans - hardcover or softcover? Need an answer ASAP, as DTRPG is starting to put things in motion NOW :)

BTW, thanks to on your feedback, we'll be using premium-quality paper for these books.

Who would like to see DriveThru making PoD versions of out of print Talislanta books? Which format do you prefer and what books would you like to see most?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Talislanta Print on Demand reprints hard or softback?

Postby PeterLind » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:26 pm

I suggest an option for either softback or hardback if possible. I would like a hardback option especially for the 2nd edition Handbook and Campaign Guide and the Worldbook.

I humbly suggest, though, that some titles might need re-scans. For example, the 3rd edition Guidebook and the 2nd edition Worldbook.
PeterLind
Hobgoblin

Postby Draig-Athar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:28 am

PeterLind wrote:I suggest an option for either softback or hardback if possible.

+1
A lot of publishers offer this option for their products.
Draig-Athar
Goblin

Postby mibagents » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:26 pm

I would love to get a softback of the 5th edition core book; I am probably in the minority, but for someone who did not "grow up" with Talislanta, I found 5th edition the easiest to get into.
mibagents
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Draig-Athar wrote:
PeterLind wrote:I suggest an option for either softback or hardback if possible.

+1
A lot of publishers offer this option for their products.

I think that would be the best way to go too. :)

Not everyone has the same amount of money. Some people have enough spare cash that they can pay for a high quality hardback, while other people might struggle to have more spare cash than a lower quality paperback version. Having two or three options allows all fans to buy the version that works best for them.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:34 pm

PeterLind wrote:I humbly suggest, though, that some titles might need re-scans. For example, the 3rd edition Guidebook and the 2nd edition Worldbook.

Back when Talislanta.com organised their scans, it was a fan-based project where everyone gave their free time. But I know that DriveThru RPG previously offered to pay people to make high quality scans of D&D books they had missing from their library. Perhaps DriveThru could be put in touch with some of the people who did the best of the PDF scans for Talislanta.com and then offer to pay them to make better scans.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:39 pm

mibagents wrote:I would love to get a softback of the 5th edition core book; I am probably in the minority, but for someone who did not "grow up" with Talislanta, I found 5th edition the easiest to get into.

Well if 5th Edition Talislanta fans are in the majority, you have come to the right place. The Piazza is all about people discussing the tabletop gaming products that they enjoy playing. We don't encourage "badwrongfunism®" here, so you are free to start as many 5th Edition Tal topics as you like. :)

(Maybe we might need some forum tags to help you and other 5e Tal fans find each other, but that's probably a conversation for another topic.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby PeterLind » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 am

Well if some of the later 4th edition and also the 5th edition books are going to become available for print on demand, then I also humbly suggest that the Tal fans make an editorial run-through. There are some typos that can be easily corrected. If I thought that it would make a difference, I would happily help out. . . :)
PeterLind
Hobgoblin

Return to Talislanta