Talislanta & D20?

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Talislanta & D20?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:32 am

I am looking into buying the D20 setting book for Talislanta. I am mostly in the dark about the setting though. I am aware that Talislanta has a history of role-playing systems predating the OGL and the D20 system. So for the afficiandos of the setting, is the D20 book a good fit for the world? Are there things that it doesn't get right and possibly other areas that fit like a glove? Has anyone played/run D20 Talislanta? If yes, what are your experiences with it?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Talislanta & D20?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:32 am
I am looking into buying the D20 setting book for Talislanta. I am mostly in the dark about the setting though. I am aware that Talislanta has a history of role-playing systems predating the OGL and the D20 system. So for the afficiandos of the setting, is the D20 book a good fit for the world? Are there things that it doesn't get right and possibly other areas that fit like a glove? Has anyone played/run D20 Talislanta? If yes, what are your experiences with it?
A couple of things might be of interest to you.

1) Talislanta didn't just predate the d20 System, it also postdated it. (That's worth knowing if you want to convert later Talislanta material to d20 System rules.)

2) Stephan Michael Sechi (aka SMS), who created Talislanta made it available for free, via Talislanta.com. So by all means buy a dead-tree copy or a Print on Demand copy once you are sure, but until then, hold off and download a copy of the Talislanta d20 System Edition book and have a look to see if it helps you out.

I think that most of the fans seem to suggest that 4th Edition Tal or 5th Edition Tal rules are the best. I'm not sure if that also applies to the lore in the books. From your point of view, you probably want to skim through the edition that has the least crunchy stuff and the most descriptive backgrounds. :?

Because all of that stuff is free too, I suggest you have a look at anything with an interesting title and ask questions about converting it to d20 rules if you need to. :)

There is also the recent Kickstarter to create a new edition of Talislanta. (That's not included in the freebies on Talislanta.com.) I don't know how compatible that is with the rest of the world yet.

Good luck!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Re: Talislanta & D20?

Post by Darkanth » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:33 pm

The general consensus amongst the Talislanta crews, is that the d20 version is..........not quite the best fit. You can use the System to play in the Setting, but there's a lot of detail missing from it. The Talislanta website http://talislanta.com/ has downloads of all the versions, and these are a good place too start (i suggest 4e as it has a good world guide). I actually prefer the Action Table System used in Tal over the d20 system itself.

Return to “Talislanta”