Altering the Omni Table

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."
hobo_2k
Goblin

Altering the Omni Table

Post by hobo_2k » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Thinking about running a campaign using the system but have some concerns. I read through a lot of the forums etc and thought the system itself and was curious if the Omni Table actually makes it too easy for the person making the roll to succeed.

Anyone experienced with the system have input on this? And/or has anyone modified the numbers on the base table to make it more challenging?

writermonk
Ogre

Re: Altering the Omni Table

Post by writermonk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Yes!

There are a couple of ways you can dial the difficulty up or down.

The first, simplest way is simply to increase the difficulty of everything the PCs are trying to do. Setting a base difficulty at 10 (or higher) pushes the success rate down a bit. You can also dial down the number of HP that players start with as well to make the game 'harder.'

Alternately, if you want to alter the Action Table itself, then just move the success markers. So:
Mishap 0-5
Failure 6-10
Partial 11-15
Success 16-20
Critical 20+
would dramatically shift the success rate of play.

However, I'd have a couple of questions for you:
What kind of game are you intending to run in Talislanta?
What kind of flavor/style are you going for?
Have you ever run Tal rules-as-written before?
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:44 am

Personally, I like the quick and straightforward Acction Table, but I don't like the fact that, with a d20, you have the same chance of having the greatest performance and the worst one, while in real life (think about making a long jump, for example) you typically have more average results (according to your ability) than great or poor.
For this reason I'm thinking about testing a 2d6 option, instead of a d20.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:57 am

Try 2d10. You'll (in general) have far fewer failures (unless you've got a negative on a roll) but less likely hood of nailing a 20 as well.

We're trying something similar to that for one of the Khepera Publishing Omega titles currently in production. There are some other changes besides that as well but that doesn't address the desire to make the chances for success less likely.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:28 am

Good idea! ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Talislanta”