[Talislanta] Entire Talislanta Free Download

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Talislanta] Entire Talislanta Free Download

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 am

A lot of PCs will speed up again, if you reinstall the operating systems and applications (or revert to an image you created after installing them).

Most people don't have the disks to do this and, when they go to a computer shop, they quite often get mis-sold a new machine, when there is nothing wrong with the old one. :roll:

Anyhoo, I've just made a deal that will keep Microsoft Windows off of my computer forever, so I'm hoping I might be able to get a bit more done now.

(I've actually been avoiding downloading the Tal files until now.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Mulsiphix
Troll

Post by Mulsiphix » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:01 pm

That link isn't working for me Big Mac. I'm curious what kind of deal your talking about too.
No Elves! Talislanta released for FREE Apr 1st 2010! - - - - - - - - - -1980's Talislanta Gencon Ad and Poster
20yr RPG, 30 books @ approx 5,000 combined pages! - - - - - - - - - Interview with creator Stephan Michael Sechi
Download the Talislanta library or take a Virtual Tour! - - - - - - - - -The Tal Scanning Project needs your help!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:That link isn't working for me Big Mac. I'm curious what kind of deal your talking about too.
It's a Star Wars reference. Cloud City. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Mulsiphix wrote:That link isn't working for me Big Mac. I'm curious what kind of deal your talking about too.
It's a Star Wars reference. Cloud City. ;)
It is what Lando says to Han, just before opening a door to the dining room and revealing Darth Vader at the head of the dining table. :ugeek:

The main thing is that I can now do whatever I want to do with Tal files.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Mulsiphix
Troll

Post by Mulsiphix » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 am

:o I consider myself to be a pretty big geek. I'm disappointed I didn't catch that :x. I now bow and pay homage to those who have come before me :oops: and sadly likely is it plenty who have come after ;(.
No Elves! Talislanta released for FREE Apr 1st 2010! - - - - - - - - - -1980's Talislanta Gencon Ad and Poster
20yr RPG, 30 books @ approx 5,000 combined pages! - - - - - - - - - Interview with creator Stephan Michael Sechi
Download the Talislanta library or take a Virtual Tour! - - - - - - - - -The Tal Scanning Project needs your help!

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:28 am

Mulsiphix wrote::o I consider myself to be a pretty big geek. I'm disappointed I didn't catch that :x. I now bow and pay homage to those who have come before me :oops: and sadly likely is it plenty who have come after ;(.
;( I missed that on too. :oops:
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:22 am

When I first read
Big Mac wrote:I've just made a deal that will keep Microsoft Windows off of my computer forever
I got this image of Big Mac (OK, his avatar) standing just outside an open door... with a giant all-black penguin with a black helmet lurking in the shadows just inside the doorway.

:o
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:35 am

BlackBat242 wrote:When I first read
Big Mac wrote:I've just made a deal that will keep Microsoft Windows off of my computer forever
I got this image of Big Mac (OK, his avatar) standing just outside an open door... with a giant all-black penguin with a black helmet lurking in the shadows just inside the doorway.

:o
:cool: Now that's an image BlackBat!

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:38 am

Darth Linux
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:57 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:Darth Linux
Now that is scary. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Dave L wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:Darth Linux
Now that is scary. :)
I'm actually going to learn Linux too, although that isn't exactly what I meant. ;)

Mulsiphix
Troll

Post by Mulsiphix » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:04 am

Big Mac wrote:I'm actually going to learn Linux too, although that isn't exactly what I meant. ;)
;( :( :| :) :D :lol: Oh thank the heavens! I have my dignity back :mrgreen:!!

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:17 am

Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm actually going to learn Linux too, although that isn't exactly what I meant. ;)
;( :( :| :) :D :lol: Oh thank the heavens! I have my dignity back :mrgreen:!!
Join the Dark Side Big Mac!! :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:41 pm

Anyhoo, to get this back to the Talislanta download, is there a chance that computer-nerdy things will ever get made from the Talislanta stuff (I'm thinking of things like desktop wallpaper or even a set of forum avatar pictures)?

Mulsiphix
Troll

Post by Mulsiphix » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:55 pm

There have been a few of us who have held the torch for a time but currently I don't think anybody is creating any new art. Any new wallpapers, banners, forum avatars, etc... would all have to be cleared with SMS. SMS has already said; "Yeah go ahead and create whatever and just send it my way for the final OK before making it available on the website." So that isn't really hurdle we have to overcome anymore, as it once was, but the problem right now is finding folks who are talented enough to be able to take the images from the books and create lovely color images with them.

I'm pretty sure a campaign of black and white art goodies, especially those intended for use by others to advertise or "show love", wouldn't get too far off the ground. The real hurdle is finding folks who can take those images and turn them into color creations folks want to show off to others. To my knowledge virtually all of the Tal art that is in color has been exclusive to Tal book covers or GM screens. While color originals may exist, like those of most of the black and white art commissioned by Mark Williams for Midnight Realms, getting our hands on it is just about impossible.

Sadly one cannot forget that SMS released the RPG for free, specifically to end it's lifespan permanently, so that he could pursue just about any other type of media that Tal would flourish in. This is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for "expanding Tal's borders" as far as us RPG folks are concerned. For those sad about color art though there is that new book that will be coming out that will be 100% Talislanta Art! That won't be free however and no we won't be able to use any of those images. Still, completely new Tal art in color!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 am

Mulsiphix wrote:There have been a few of us who have held the torch for a time but currently I don't think anybody is creating any new art. Any new wallpapers, banners, forum avatars, etc... would all have to be cleared with SMS. SMS has already said; "Yeah go ahead and create whatever and just send it my way for the final OK before making it available on the website." So that isn't really hurdle we have to overcome anymore, as it once was, but the problem right now is finding folks who are talented enough to be able to take the images from the books and create lovely color images with them.
Well, you have Dave L interested in making hex maps of Tal. That is a start that you can build on. I think that Talislanta is a cult-level thing (just like the not-in-print since 2e D&D settings here) but the great thing about that is that the work put in by yourself and the other Tal-fan-team experts now could pay off at any time in the future as random people stumble in on a random search on the Interwebs.
Mulsiphix wrote:I'm pretty sure a campaign of black and white art goodies, especially those intended for use by others to advertise or "show love", wouldn't get too far off the ground. The real hurdle is finding folks who can take those images and turn them into color creations folks want to show off to others. To my knowledge virtually all of the Tal art that is in color has been exclusive to Tal book covers or GM screens. While color originals may exist, like those of most of the black and white art commissioned by Mark Williams for Midnight Realms, getting our hands on it is just about impossible.
While I agree with you, to a large extent, I think that black & white art does have its place. A lot of the grognoids started playing RPGs back before computerised typesetting was available and most books were black & white (or mostly black & white) when 1st edition AD&D was around. And black & white photography still gets a lot of support from arty people, as I think it shows contrast a bit better. Adam B. pointed us at a couple of his pictures recently and I've got to say that I got totally different things from the colour and black & white versions.

Anyhoo, I don't want to give you a ton of work (as you are supposed to be retired from doing webmaster stuff :P ). ;)

Out of interest, what is the difficulty with Midnight Realms art? Is it hard to obtain, or is it something that you need cash to buy? (If it is a cash thing then maybe fans can pay for the art plus double postage and it can be sent to a scanner who sends it onto them after making a computerised version for the website.)
Mulsiphix wrote:Sadly one cannot forget that SMS released the RPG for free, specifically to end it's lifespan permanently, so that he could pursue just about any other type of media that Tal would flourish in. This is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for "expanding Tal's borders" as far as us RPG folks are concerned. For those sad about color art though there is that new book that will be coming out that will be 100% Talislanta Art! That won't be free however and no we won't be able to use any of those images. Still, completely new Tal art in color!
I actually think that Tal has moved onto a second-life (thanks to your hard work and all the scanning crew and other heroes of the Tal fanbase who have chipped in). If you compare it with other out of print campaign settings covered by subforums here, it is much more accessible to the public than a lot of them. And the fairly large product range (despite the edition changes) means that you have enough stuff on your website to allow newbie Tal fans to come in and play for a lifetime. If you have a look at Blackmoor, that is still pulling people in and the original version of that got shut down before much stuff could be done. I think that guerilla marketing is now the way to bring in more Talislanta fans and bringing in more fans is what is going to get random fan-artists or fan-designers to want to write some new stuff.

The art book sounds really interesting. I'm a bit scared that it will be pricey, as most art-filled books are. I hope that SMS has some sort of preview put together, as that will allow you and others to plug the thing on Facebook, blogs and so on. That might help pull in more people as some people are attracted to the visuals much more than words.

Oh, and on the art thing, have you seen some of the 3D models that Silverblade has done for Spelljammer? His ships are fantastic. They look a lot more real than the original art (although he does like to pump them up a little bit). As far as I know, he has never had access to the original SJ ship artists. If you could lay down a line of sweets and bring him over to your gingerbread house he could chat to Adam Black and get a lot of insight into how a 3D windship would work. :twisted: Silverblade is very busy, and like you, he has some problems that sometimes stop him working as much as he would like, but if he made just one 3D model for Tal I know it would knock your socks off. (And I think that a lot of Silverblade's SJ ship models could maybe be raided by Tal fans who want extra windships. Check out Cloud Hammer, for example. I'm sure a GM could pass that off as a windship flying above Talislanta)

Mulsiphix
Troll

Post by Mulsiphix » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:Well, you have Dave L interested in making hex maps of Tal. That is a start that you can build on. I think that Talislanta is a cult-level thing (just like the not-in-print since 2e D&D settings here) but the great thing about that is that the work put in by yourself and the other Tal-fan-team experts now could pay off at any time in the future as random people stumble in on a random search on the Interwebs.
I couldn't agree more. I just discovered Talislanta back in mid 2007, although it wasn't from the web. Still though, the entire Talislanta.com website would most likely be nothing more than a list of download links, a handful of images, and a dozen or so news stories, had I not vehemently volunteered my services to SMS insisting the site could be more. For somebody so new to the flock I think I left my mark, though I am not finished =P, and I am very hopeful that others will come along who are as passionate as I am.
Big Mac wrote:Out of interest, what is the difficulty with Midnight Realms art? Is it hard to obtain, or is it something that you need cash to buy? (If it is a cash thing then maybe fans can pay for the art plus double postage and it can be sent to a scanner who sends it onto them after making a computerised version for the website.)
You can find most of the art in its color form on Mark Williams website. If I remember correctly all of his work is in color and simply appears in black and white in the book. Well with the exception of the Midnight Realms map which was supposed to appear in color but, for cost reasons, was downgraded at the last moment. I don't understand the legal situation between the artists and SMS, maybe Adam Black could shed some light here?, but from what I think I understand SMS owns the rights to all of the art. Mark's site has several pieces that were never put in the final book or that were simply never commissioned (fan creations). So officially I believe the art is owned by SMS. I just don't know if that includes the color originals or not.
Big Mac wrote:I think that guerilla marketing is now the way to bring in more Talislanta fans and bringing in more fans is what is going to get random fan-artists or fan-designers to want to write some new stuff.
Could you give me some examples of guerilla marketing? When I first got the site up I was really excited. I was going to spent $25 to get 25,000 banner impressions over at RPG.net. I figured that would really draw people in. Well it turned out I had no money and by a stroke of awesome luck or great timing we were contacted by one of the owners of RPG.net. He was a fan of the project and what we were doing. He awarded us 250,000 free banner impressions or three months worth, whichever came first (banner impressions did) and he put a special bullitin up in all the forums advertising the project for a week. I was so excited and overall you know how many folks the banners brought in (no telling how many the special one week bullitin brought in)? 567 visitors.

You may think that is a lot but considering I was able to bring in a couple of thousand unique hits in one weeks time simply by advertising the game via my forum signature (tracked what sites folks were coming from when they reached talislanta.com) on three different forums (RPG.net not being one of them), well in contrast its not much. Hey I'll be honest, our banner wasn't that catchy. And that was a very controlled experiment during the second month of Tal's release. I have not been able to repeat those results in the later months but I am still able to bring in a nice chunk of people when I use such signatures in RPG related places online.
Big Mac wrote:The art book sounds really interesting. I'm a bit scared that it will be pricey, as most art-filled books are. I hope that SMS has some sort of preview put together, as that will allow you and others to plug the thing on Facebook, blogs and so on. That might help pull in more people as some people are attracted to the visuals much more than words.
I'm very hopeful that this art book will bring in a brunch of new fans. Near the time of its release I may come back for a short run just to ensure that the site is getting news each and every day and that will probably be the same time I choose to get the scanning project back in line. It hasn't stalled by a long shot but it being the holidays and all things are expectantly slow... ish... stalled.

Oh, and on the art thing, have you seen some of the 3D models that Silverblade has done for Spelljammer? His ships are fantastic. They look a lot more real than the original art (although he does like to pump them up a little bit). As far as I know, he has never had access to the original SJ ship artists. If you could lay down a line of sweets and bring him over to your gingerbread house he could chat to Adam Black and get a lot of insight into how a 3D windship would work. :twisted: Silverblade is very busy, and like you, he has some problems that sometimes stop him working as much as he would like, but if he made just one 3D model for Tal I know it would knock your socks off. (And I think that a lot of Silverblade's SJ ship models could maybe be raided by Tal fans who want extra windships. Check out Cloud Hammer, for example. I'm sure a GM could pass that off as a windship flying above Talislanta)[/quote]You have shown me these before and they still knock my socks off. I wonder how long it takes him from start to finish. These ships really are amazing :shock:
Big Mac wrote:I have actually had a hard time lately with the Tal site. There are still so many things that I want to do with it and so many projects I would like to see up and running, the art and site promotion being one of my top three. I haven't followed through as each requires quite a bit of project managament. At the current time I Just don't have the capability. My health hasn't been going well lately and as a result I'm not on the computer much. I post on forums here and there and check my email but other than that, my life is mostly offline now. Which is really weird to say considering that during the time I made the Tal site I literally lived at the computer before and after my surgery :lol:. I'm hopeful nothing is permanent and all I hope to achieve will indeed come to fruition. Even if it does take several years :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:39 am

Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Well, you have Dave L interested in making hex maps of Tal. That is a start that you can build on. I think that Talislanta is a cult-level thing (just like the not-in-print since 2e D&D settings here) but the great thing about that is that the work put in by yourself and the other Tal-fan-team experts now could pay off at any time in the future as random people stumble in on a random search on the Interwebs.
I couldn't agree more. I just discovered Talislanta back in mid 2007, although it wasn't from the web. Still though, the entire Talislanta.com website would most likely be nothing more than a list of download links, a handful of images, and a dozen or so news stories, had I not vehemently volunteered my services to SMS insisting the site could be more. For somebody so new to the flock I think I left my mark, though I am not finished =P, and I am very hopeful that others will come along who are as passionate as I am.
The beauty of the Internet is that (unless someone is really stupid and deletes things) what you have done can not be "undone". This means that even though you have created a big shadow with your work, whatever is done afterwards will slowly expand on that. Maybe sometimes things will expand faster and maybe sometimes they will slow down for ages. But all the interesting web content will remain there, with search engines indexing it and people finding it and coming in.
Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Out of interest, what is the difficulty with Midnight Realms art? Is it hard to obtain, or is it something that you need cash to buy? (If it is a cash thing then maybe fans can pay for the art plus double postage and it can be sent to a scanner who sends it onto them after making a computerised version for the website.)
You can find most of the art in its color form on Mark Williams website. If I remember correctly all of his work is in color and simply appears in black and white in the book. Well with the exception of the Midnight Realms map which was supposed to appear in color but, for cost reasons, was downgraded at the last moment. I don't understand the legal situation between the artists and SMS, maybe Adam Black could shed some light here?, but from what I think I understand SMS owns the rights to all of the art. Mark's site has several pieces that were never put in the final book or that were simply never commissioned (fan creations). So officially I believe the art is owned by SMS. I just don't know if that includes the color originals or not.
I suppose it all depends on if SMS paid for the colour art or the black and white versions. I'll wait for Adam to chip in. :?
Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think that guerilla marketing is now the way to bring in more Talislanta fans and bringing in more fans is what is going to get random fan-artists or fan-designers to want to write some new stuff.
Could you give me some examples of guerilla marketing? When I first got the site up I was really excited. I was going to spent $25 to get 25,000 banner impressions over at RPG.net. I figured that would really draw people in. Well it turned out I had no money and by a stroke of awesome luck or great timing we were contacted by one of the owners of RPG.net. He was a fan of the project and what we were doing. He awarded us 250,000 free banner impressions or three months worth, whichever came first (banner impressions did) and he put a special bullitin up in all the forums advertising the project for a week. I was so excited and overall you know how many folks the banners brought in (no telling how many the special one week bullitin brought in)? 567 visitors.

You may think that is a lot but considering I was able to bring in a couple of thousand unique hits in one weeks time simply by advertising the game via my forum signature (tracked what sites folks were coming from when they reached talislanta.com) on three different forums (RPG.net not being one of them), well in contrast its not much. Hey I'll be honest, our banner wasn't that catchy. And that was a very controlled experiment during the second month of Tal's release. I have not been able to repeat those results in the later months but I am still able to bring in a nice chunk of people when I use such signatures in RPG related places online.
Guerilla marketing is really all about finding ways to promote your stuff without spending money (or spending the minimum amount of money possible). The original creator has a website that is slightly hard to navigate, but here is a list of his guerilla marketing articles. I actually think that some other people have written better stuff after him. For example, here is an overview of online guerilla marketing by Robert Niles.

Robert's page is fairly interesting as he states that "No one is going to promote your website for free" but then turns that around by saying that you can pay people with stuff other than money.

Banner ads are pretty good, but I think they are just one tool in your toolbox. All they really do is say: "Hey Talislanta!". But if you can get interactive with people, perhaps you can look at their needs and suggest ways that Talislanta stuff can help them. (You are already doing that here, to be honest.)

I like Robert's idea of seeing who is interested in your stuff and targeting them. The idea that that could make them write more stuff about your stuff is an interesting one. I've not tried that myself, but if you get web-stats, you could give it a go.

I think one thing to look for is people who hunt down (and promote) freebies. If you can find those people, they will be all over one Talislanta download. And when they find out you have an entire range of them, they will go nuts.

Have you heard of a RPG advocacy organisation called The Escapist? They like to promote positive stories about roleplaying. Well, I think that SMS giving away 20 years of books is a positive story and if you think about the stuff you and all your team are doing, that sounds pretty good too. I'm sure they could get at least one story out of you. (And all of their stories get republished onto their Facebook page automatically, via their RSS feed, so you get a two for one deal with them.
Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The art book sounds really interesting. I'm a bit scared that it will be pricey, as most art-filled books are. I hope that SMS has some sort of preview put together, as that will allow you and others to plug the thing on Facebook, blogs and so on. That might help pull in more people as some people are attracted to the visuals much more than words.
I'm very hopeful that this art book will bring in a brunch of new fans. Near the time of its release I may come back for a short run just to ensure that the site is getting news each and every day and that will probably be the same time I choose to get the scanning project back in line. It hasn't stalled by a long shot but it being the holidays and all things are expectantly slow... ish... stalled.

That sounds like a very good strategy. I suppose you could do the same thing for every scanning project release. Or maybe adjust your forum signature to show the latest download.
Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Oh, and on the art thing, have you seen some of the 3D models that Silverblade has done for Spelljammer? His ships are fantastic. They look a lot more real than the original art (although he does like to pump them up a little bit). As far as I know, he has never had access to the original SJ ship artists. If you could lay down a line of sweets and bring him over to your gingerbread house he could chat to Adam Black and get a lot of insight into how a 3D windship would work. :twisted: Silverblade is very busy, and like you, he has some problems that sometimes stop him working as much as he would like, but if he made just one 3D model for Tal I know it would knock your socks off. (And I think that a lot of Silverblade's SJ ship models could maybe be raided by Tal fans who want extra windships. Check out Cloud Hammer, for example. I'm sure a GM could pass that off as a windship flying above Talislanta)
You have shown me these before and they still knock my socks off. I wonder how long it takes him from start to finish. These ships really are amazing :shock:
Sorry for being repetative. I wonder if Adam's 3D ships were like these ones. :oops:
Mulsiphix wrote:I have actually had a hard time lately with the Tal site. There are still so many things that I want to do with it and so many projects I would like to see up and running, the art and site promotion being one of my top three. I haven't followed through as each requires quite a bit of project managament. At the current time I Just don't have the capability. My health hasn't been going well lately and as a result I'm not on the computer much. I post on forums here and there and check my email but other than that, my life is mostly offline now. Which is really weird to say considering that during the time I made the Tal site I literally lived at the computer before and after my surgery :lol:. I'm hopeful nothing is permanent and all I hope to achieve will indeed come to fruition. Even if it does take several years :D
I've been snowed under at work recently. If you are busy, or not well, I don't think you should worry too much. You have put a ton of foundation in and like I said every step is a step forwards.

Mulsiphix
Troll

Post by Mulsiphix » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:Have you heard of a RPG advocacy organization called The Escapist? They like to promote positive stories about roleplaying. Well, I think that SMS giving away 20 years of books is a positive story and if you think about the stuff you and all your team are doing, that sounds pretty good too. I'm sure they could get at least one story out of you. (And all of their stories get republished onto their Facebook page automatically, via their RSS feed, so you get a two for one deal with them.
I am indeed! In my farewell post to the Talislanta community I talked about how Talislanta was my gateway into the world of RPGs. In that post I mentioned The Escapist;

"As a result I’ve actually become quite the RPG Activist for introducing games to young children
and teens, supporting sites like The Escapist and related programs, especially locally, whenever possible."

The Escapist is actually the primary reason I became the RPG advocate that I am. Especially in regards to teaching young children. It is my all time favorite RPG news source on the web and I've contacted W.J. Walton many times. Unfortunately, when I contacted him about the release of Talislanta he said that he couldn't see a news article about the release being made unless I had an angle on how Talislanta has helped promote RPG advocacy. I told him that I didn't have anything at the time but that I would take him up on his offer, hopefully, in the semi-near future. At that particular point in time I was rather serious about putting together a full blown kit that I could send out to Libraries that would help establish RPG groups for pre/teens, using Talislanta as the "gateway" game. Doing this is still something I want to do very much but for the time being it's on hiatus.

It is worth noting that that Talislanta has been added to the list of free RPGs of Terra Libris: The Library RPG Project , organized by none other than The Escapist.
Big Mac wrote:I've been snowed under at work recently. If you are busy, or not well, I don't think you should worry too much. You have put a ton of foundation in and like I said every step is a step forwards.
Indeed there is some foundation there. I don't know if I've said it previously or not but I always appreciate your positive attitude regarding this project and our (Tal volunteers collectively) time invested. It is very much appreciated ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:07 am

Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Have you heard of a RPG advocacy organization called The Escapist? They like to promote positive stories about roleplaying. Well, I think that SMS giving away 20 years of books is a positive story and if you think about the stuff you and all your team are doing, that sounds pretty good too. I'm sure they could get at least one story out of you. (And all of their stories get republished onto their Facebook page automatically, via their RSS feed, so you get a two for one deal with them.
I am indeed! In my farewell post to the Talislanta community I talked about how Talislanta was my gateway into the world of RPGs. In that post I mentioned The Escapist;

"As a result I’ve actually become quite the RPG Activist for introducing games to young children
and teens, supporting sites like The Escapist and related programs, especially locally, whenever possible."
Oops! And I've read that article too! :oops:
Mulsiphix wrote:The Escapist is actually the primary reason I became the RPG advocate that I am. Especially in regards to teaching young children. It is my all time favorite RPG news source on the web and I've contacted W.J. Walton many times. Unfortunately, when I contacted him about the release of Talislanta he said that he couldn't see a news article about the release being made unless I had an angle on how Talislanta has helped promote RPG advocacy. I told him that I didn't have anything at the time but that I would take him up on his offer, hopefully, in the semi-near future. At that particular point in time I was rather serious about putting together a full blown kit that I could send out to Libraries that would help establish RPG groups for pre/teens, using Talislanta as the "gateway" game. Doing this is still something I want to do very much but for the time being it's on hiatus.
I suppose that it is fairly hard to find an angle for a story. I think there are two angles for a story:
  • SMS giving away his IP to the fans and
  • The hard-core fans working to get that IP distributed to the wider community.
But this is possibly a story for places other than The Escapist. (Maybe even some seemingly weird places like the Freebies board of the Money Saving Expert forum.)

Hmm. Free kits for kids?

How about getting someone to miniaturise the art of Adam Black (and others) so that you can produce sheets of "monster tokens" that people can print out and use in place of miniature figures?

I'm not a big fan of spinners, but maybe some of those could stand in place of RPG dice and allow people to make all the sorts of dice rolls they need to make in the game.

Another way to maybe make the kids concept easier is to maybe (one day) knock up a simplified Talislanta system (in d20 System terms - and only because I'm more familiar with them) you could make a game that only goes from level 1 to level 5, add in a starter adventure, some floor plan maps, some sheets of cut out monsters and characters. That could keep the size of the download down and make it a lot cheaper for people to print them off.

And if people got hooked, you could give them a full blown product to move onto and they could keep the counters and stuff.
Mulsiphix wrote:It is worth noting that that Talislanta has been added to the list of free RPGs of Terra Libris: The Library RPG Project , organized by none other than The Escapist.
Nice list. I wonder why it doesn't have the SRD derivitives on it.
Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've been snowed under at work recently. If you are busy, or not well, I don't think you should worry too much. You have put a ton of foundation in and like I said every step is a step forwards.
Indeed there is some foundation there. I don't know if I've said it previously or not but I always appreciate your positive attitude regarding this project and our (Tal volunteers collectively) time invested. It is very much appreciated ;)
Thankyou.

I once heard something described as "buying a coat for £50 and finding a £50 note in the pocket". Well the Talislanta project is like being given a free coat and finding £50 in the pocket. And the Lost Books project is like having someone knit you a jumper to go with the coat! :mrgreen:

Saying thanks is nothing much really, compared with the value of the cool stuff itself.

Mulsiphix
Troll

Post by Mulsiphix » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:Hmm. Free kits for kids?

How about getting someone to miniaturise the art of Adam Black (and others) so that you can produce sheets of "monster tokens" that people can print out and use in place of miniature figures?

I'm not a big fan of spinners, but maybe some of those could stand in place of RPG dice and allow people to make all the sorts of dice rolls they need to make in the game.

Another way to maybe make the kids concept easier is to maybe (one day) knock up a simplified Talislanta system (in d20 System terms - and only because I'm more familiar with them) you could make a game that only goes from level 1 to level 5, add in a starter adventure, some floor plan maps, some sheets of cut out monsters and characters. That could keep the size of the download down and make it a lot cheaper for people to print them off.
I like it! Sadly, I just remembered that quite a bit of Tal content is quite mature in theme. Drugs, sex, brutal combat, etc... Is Tal perhaps a poor choice for introducing kids to the genre? I'd love to know what Adam and Doug think, both being heavily seasoned players.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Depends on the "kids" in question.

The age factor is going to come in to play; but if you're creating content/an adventure/a CD full of goodies then you can fairly well monitor what precisely you put into it.

In general, I would probably refrain from plopping down segments of Talislanta in front of some kids, focusing instead on the kinds of things that young gamers tend to like - puzzles/traps, combat, flashy spells, and colorful characters.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. Free kits for kids?

I like it! Sadly, I just remembered that quite a bit of Tal content is quite mature in theme. Drugs, sex, brutal combat, etc... Is Tal perhaps a poor choice for introducing kids to the genre? I'd love to know what Adam and Doug think, both being heavily seasoned players.
I did wonder that myself, but just because you can have adult themes, it doesn't mean that you have to use them.

Are any of the Lost Books more kiddie friendly? I know they are being done with 4e Tal stats, but if there was a good one, perhaps that could be combined with quickstart Tal rules (or if that doesn't work with SMS's agreement a cut down version of the SRD) to make a simplified RPG that could be adult enough to appeal to children in the teenage range. (The main reason for wanting to keep things simplified, is to cut down on the page count, by the way.)

I've got to say that I think that Adam Black's Windship pictures have got the cool factor that could pull in newbie players. :cool: Perhaps it would be possible to put roleplaying to one side and just come up with a flying ship battle game, based on what is in the Talislanta stuff. I would bet that a bunch of ship counters, a rules booklet and some sort of battle map (maybe a hex map like the one that came with the original SJ AD&D Adventures in Space boxed set) could provide you with a fairly small (and therefore lower cost) kit that would get a game going. (But if you want to get very fancy, look at the work of a guy called Denis "Maldin" Tetreault, who has made fold up ship counters for Spelljammer. I don't know if Adam could design that sort of 3D version of a Talislanta ship! ;) )

If that got a percentage of players interested in the game to read more about Talislanta and realise there was a ton of free roleplaying stuff out there, it could help build up the next generation of Tal fans.

Adam Black
Hobgoblin

Post by Adam Black » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:39 pm

Denis Tetreault's SJ ship cutouts are absolutely awesome. I love them. :D

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Adam Black wrote:Denis Tetreault's SJ ship cutouts are absolutely awesome. I love them. :D

They are just awesome aren`t they.

Return to “Talislanta”