Flying Ships

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

Re: Flying Ships

Postby Adam Black » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:That sounds very logical. And it would be a key turning point in a shipwright's "arms race". The great thing is that other groups would clearly be able to see undermasts on ships, and while they might not be able to infer the entire design, without ceasing a ship to reverse-engineer, their shipwrights would be able to make a guess at the design and build their own prototypes.


And that was pretty much how my brother introduced them in-game: A Farad Procurer had "acquired" an over/undermasted Cymrilian windship and was trying to sell it to Rajans visiting Tarun.

Big Mac wrote:I've seen people in the Spelljammer community write massive essays trying to "explain" (scientifically) how elements of the setting work and a lot of the time they just seem to be chasing their own tail.


True. There are just some things in RPGs that you gotta leave be. Our take on the Tal windships was that you put a levitational in a hull to make it float in the air, and that's all a levitational did: defied gravity. How you move your newly-floating boat around from there is your own damn problem. Sails and wind machines help with that, but that's about it. :lol:

Big Mac wrote:We just had something in London called the Elephant Parade. Most were fibreglass, but one of the elephants was a hollow metal elephant called Ampersand. If a windship didn't need to land in the sea, It could use a similar design to lower the weight.


That is very cool.

Big Mac wrote:Maybe I could make a Facebook event called: "Remind Adam Black to sketch a Rajan windship", set the date for 1st December and invite as many Tal fans as I can find! :P


More like March 1st at this point. It's been a busy year, and the last month or so will be the busiest yet.
User avatar
Adam Black
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: Northwestern US

Re: Flying Ships

Postby Big Mac » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:46 pm

Adam Black wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That sounds very logical. And it would be a key turning point in a shipwright's "arms race". The great thing is that other groups would clearly be able to see undermasts on ships, and while they might not be able to infer the entire design, without ceasing a ship to reverse-engineer, their shipwrights would be able to make a guess at the design and build their own prototypes.


And that was pretty much how my brother introduced them in-game: A Farad Procurer had "acquired" an over/undermasted Cymrilian windship and was trying to sell it to Rajans visiting Tarun.


That sounds like an excellent adventure-hook! Even notes or fake plans for a windship could be in high demand on the black market.

Adam Black wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've seen people in the Spelljammer community write massive essays trying to "explain" (scientifically) how elements of the setting work and a lot of the time they just seem to be chasing their own tail.


True. There are just some things in RPGs that you gotta leave be. Our take on the Tal windships was that you put a levitational in a hull to make it float in the air, and that's all a levitational did: defied gravity. How you move your newly-floating boat around from there is your own damn problem. Sails and wind machines help with that, but that's about it. :lol:


Describing what something does seems a lot more useful than trying to explain why it does what it does. As a player, my only questions would be stuff along the lines of:
  • "If a ship breaks up, which part of the ship is going to stay in the sky?",
  • "If the PCs can capture an enemy ship, how easy would it be to remove the levitational and put it into a new ship?"
  • "How much risk is there that the levitational will be destroyed during combat or a crash?" or
  • "Can I make miniature levitationals to make flying boats or flying suits of armour?"

I would not be asking if levitationals were made from helium, marsh gas* anti-matter. As a player of a fantasy game, I don't need to know that sort of out-of-universe information.

* = In other words fart power! :P

Adam Black wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Maybe I could make a Facebook event called: "Remind Adam Black to sketch a Rajan windship", set the date for 1st December and invite as many Tal fans as I can find! :P


More like March 1st at this point. It's been a busy year, and the last month or so will be the busiest yet.


We have gone past December 1st anyway. I'll try to remember to remind you on the 1st of March (just in case you get a hole in your schedule around then).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20180
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Flying Ships

Postby Azaghal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 am

"Big Mac"Describing what something does seems a lot more useful than trying to explain why it does what it does. As a player, my only questions would be stuff along the lines of:


"If a ship breaks up, which part of the ship is going to stay in the sky?",

"If the PCs can capture an enemy ship, how easy would it be to remove the levitational and put it into a new ship?"

"How much risk is there that the levitational will be destroyed during combat or a crash?" or

"Can I make miniature levitationals to make flying boats or flying suits of armour?"


I would not be asking if levitationals were made from helium, marsh gas* anti-matter. As a player of a fantasy game, I don't need to know that sort of out-of-universe information.

* = In other words fart power

All great ideas Big Mac, I would think the only part that could remain aloft would be the levetational itself, I love the idea of armored suits with levitationals as well, hmmmm thinking of great ideas now.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
User avatar
Azaghal
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:25 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA

Re: Flying Ships

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:First and foremost you should take a look at Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships.

Thank you very much for pointing at this! Much appreciated, really!
Un'idea, un concetto, un'idea finché resta un'idea è soltanto un'astrazione.
Se potessi mangiare un'idea avrei fatto la mia rivoluzione.
User avatar
Yaztromo
Stone Giant
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Previous

Return to Talislanta

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest