Other worlds

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."
writermonk
Ogre

Other worlds

Post by writermonk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 pm

There are two other game settings that sort of use Talislanta's system/rules-set that might be mined for stuff. Both of them are sci-fi (sorta) and deal with planetary travel.

Terran Trade Authority - based on some huge color art books of space-ships that came out decades ago, TTA is more of a hard sci-fi space setting. Essentially there are 3 races: Humans, Alphans, and Proximans. Technology is fairly advanced (hello! Spaceships!), but the races could easily be stripped out from their sci-fi heavy setting and used to populate a set of worlds. I think it'd be bit harder to stretch TTA to include magic, but plopping the TTA stuff into a magic-rich world like those from Spelljammer would certainly be do-able.
TTA was going to be a stand-alone project using the Omni rules system. However, due to some mismanagement and communications issues, Morrigan had to drop the game after it only put out two books. Those two were done PoD, so the only extra copies out there are folks who are willing to sell the ones they bought. That said, the creative team that was working for Morrigan to get the TTA stuff to press (including most of the artists) kept their rights to the material and were seeking a new publisher (and likely new game system). I've heard bits and pieces of rumors like it might wind up as a supplement to the latest incarnation of Traveller, but haven't actually seen any thing about it going back to press.

Hellas - more of the fantasy/space-opera than strict sci-fi, Hellas is Greek epic-insipired game where ships sail from world to world. There are a variety of races, from the Hellenes (race of Men) to the Myrmidons (humanoid-shaped colonies of insects) to the Zintar (cephalopodic water-dwellers who are remarkably adept at technology) and so on. Easily adaptable (as much so as Talislanta) to a D&D-style engine, it could likely provide a whole new constellation of worlds for a plane-hopping/spell-jammer game.
Khepera Press liscenced the Omni engine first from Morrigan Press to do Hellas. They're now working with SMS to produce an art book for Talislanta, due out sometime next year.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Re: Other worlds

Post by Dave L » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:35 pm

writermonk wrote: Hellas - more of the fantasy/space-opera than strict sci-fi, Hellas is Greek epic-insipired game where ships sail from world to world. There are a variety of races, from the Hellenes (race of Men) to the Myrmidons (humanoid-shaped colonies of insects) to the Zintar (cephalopodic water-dwellers who are remarkably adept at technology) and so on. Easily adaptable (as much so as Talislanta) to a D&D-style engine, it could likely provide a whole new constellation of worlds for a plane-hopping/spell-jammer game.
Khepera Press liscenced the Omni engine first from Morrigan Press to do Hellas. They're now working with SMS to produce an art book for Talislanta, due out sometime next year.
Do I gather from this that Hellas is written for the Omni rules system?

This sounds like it could be very compatible with Spelljammer - I expect Big Mac will be along later with a lot of detailed questions to test that hypotheses. :)

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Hellas can be found at Orc's Nest, TTA on DriveThru.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Dave L wrote:
writermonk wrote: Do I gather from this that Hellas is written for the Omni rules system?

This sounds like it could be very compatible with Spelljammer - I expect Big Mac will be along later with a lot of detailed questions to test that hypotheses. :)
It's not exactly written for the Omni rules system. Rather say that it took the Omni system as a base and changed it to fit the setting of Hellas (which, ideally, was what Omni was written for). Talislanta's Action Table is exactly the same. Stats and skills are largely the same - there are changes, of course, the addition of some technological skills, magic becomes Dynamism, the magical modes are pared down slightly. Khephera cleaned up the Talents section of Omni a great deal. They also added in things like Hero Points, Fate, systems for calling on the Gods, a very wonderfully done character creation section.

The history/backstory in the game is that Hellenic culture places a high emphasis on an individual's skill and prowess, so while they do have computers for some things in daily life or on board large ships, people still memorize and recite epic poetry and warriors are renowned for their physical prowess in combat. Too, the Gods are very present and the Glory that attaches to a Hero is greater when they best a foe at single combat in melee range (higher if unarmed, higher still if unarmored) than that of someone who just pulls a trigger on a blaster or pushes a button from a distance. So even though its "space" there's reason built into the setting for folks to run around in little more than a tunic swinging a sword or spear.

Plus not all the swords and spears are that simple. There are Aether weapons - think lightsabers sorta if you want - and there are things like spears with minature rockets near the blade that can be triggered to give a little extra Ooomph for a strike.

There's a sample/quickstart for Hellas here - http://www.hellasworlds.com/HELLAS_sample.pdf

And yes, the book is full color, exactly like that.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:12 pm

The sampler is a really good introduction.
Once you get past the first few pages, the colour illustrations are amazing.

I like the "You are heroes, and you will die" mentality. It's how you die that makes all the difference.
Pitching it as a game taking place over generations will hopefully soften some of the "get as much loot as I can" mentality.

Oh, and the Spartan Carrier looks awesome! :)

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Dave L wrote:The sampler is a really good introduction.
Once you get past the first few pages, the colour illustrations are amazing.

I like the "You are heroes, and you will die" mentality. It's how you die that makes all the difference.
Pitching it as a game taking place over generations will hopefully soften some of the "get as much loot as I can" mentality.

Oh, and the Spartan Carrier looks awesome! :)

Gotta take a look at this for sure!

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Dave you meant this line?
The player characters are Heroes who will set off to save their worlds from an ancient threat. They
will live, triumph, suffer, and eventually die as Heroes, either achieving apotheosis and ascending into
immortality, or succumbing to their fate.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Azaghal wrote:Dave you meant this line?
The player characters are Heroes who will set off to save their worlds from an ancient threat. They
will live, triumph, suffer, and eventually die as Heroes, either achieving apotheosis and ascending into
Actually, it was more this section:
Why does my character have to die?

HELLAS is a role-playing game that spans generations. A character must die to make room for the new Heroes in the saga. One of the great things about Hellenic mythology is that the Hero goes through life wreaking havoc, walks in the wake of disaster and all sorts of collateral damage, and comes out okay. But the one thing that the Hellenic Hero can never escape is his eventual death. Hellenic Heroes didn’t fear death — they feared not being remembered. Being remembered in tales told and songs sung made the Hellenic Hero immortal. All good stories have an end, and all good Heroes should have a fate. For a Hellenic Hero, it’s not that he died — it’s how he is remembered living his life.

The other reason for a need for character death is the generational quality of the story being told. Once the character dies he is followed by his children or friends who take up the cause and move on. In Hellenic mythology the main characters were always in touch with someone or something greater than themselves. Heracles is the son of the woman Alcmene who is the daughter of King Electryon, who was the son of Perseus. How cool is that? We haven’t even included the fact that Zeus was their father and already the legacy of the Hero is colorful.

Don’t fear the character’s death — embrace it. It will actually help with the story of the game knowing that eventually your character will die. The X-factor of death is taken out of the equation and leaves room for the story leading up to his death.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Didn't see that one, awesome idea!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Wow! I was going to get into Hellas, but lost interest when they abandoned the D6 system. With my renewed interest in the Talislanta rules, I'm thinking about giving Hellas another look as well!

Thanks for posting this, writermonk! :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Havard wrote:Wow! I was going to get into Hellas, but lost interest when they abandoned the D6 system. With my renewed interest in the Talislanta rules, I'm thinking about giving Hellas another look as well!

Havard
I`ve defaintly got to agree, looks like some great stuff.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Havard wrote:Wow! I was going to get into Hellas, but lost interest when they abandoned the D6 system. With my renewed interest in the Talislanta rules, I'm thinking about giving Hellas another look as well!

Havard
Not a problem. Hellas is really awesome. Jerry and the other folks involved in it really gave the Omni system a thorough re-working. If you can handle Talislanta, Hellas is easy to pick up. BUT, there's enough difference that it feels like a brand new game. If/when you do get into Hellas, the use of Hero Points, Fate Points, ambitions, calling on the Gods, and so forth really work to make the characters seem larger than life. Too, it's a "generational" game. Your Hero is going to meet his Fate at some point; but when that happens you can shift a portion of their Glory and one of their items to a new character who is tied to the first in some way (descendant, lover, friend, ally, cousin) who keeps going.

Jerry just did a Kickstarter project to get the second book of Hellas done in color + hardcover - "Princes of the Universe" has a lot of neat stuff in it. Aside from the adventure(s) in the main Hellas book, there's also a pre-written adventure called "Fire in the Blood" that's the first of five adventures that move through the Hellas timeline and explore bits of its canon history. Too, each of the sourcebooks for Hellas will advance the game forward by 25 (or as much as 100) years. Couple that with the generational aspect of play and you've suddenly got a meta-reason to say "hey, this book came out, I want to try out a Hero with X ability (or of Z race), I'll have them be someone rescued by my current Hero and to whom they owe a debt. After his death, they can join the party to carry on in his name!"

As a bit of a disclaimer, the pre-made PCs for the "Fire in the Blood" adventure (all of whom can be found here - http://www.godsendagenda.com/art/Heroes_of_HELLAS.pdf) were written/created by me. I had a list of things Jerry wanted (gimme an Amazoran gunslinger, and a Nephelai assassin, and a Mymridon soldier, etc), but that was it. As a bit of warning, one of the character portraits in there has frontal female nudity, in case any of you are at work or have kids on your lap. Too, it should be noted that this band of 5 adventurers are a bit on the rough/not-quite-so-noble heroic side. Yes, they're heroes. Yes, they get things done. They're not exactly knights in shining armor. A bit closer to the crew of Firefly, Han Solo, and the like rather than the vision of a paladin or a knight.
Too, "Princes of the Universe" is going to have another character I created somewhere in it as well as one that my wife made (if you want to try to strain your eyes, the character she made is here - http://www.godsendagenda.com/art/Kaia.jpg).
I'm not currently making any money off of Hellas (though I did get paid for those 5 PCs above), but I do think that it's an awesome and well-written game (even if some of the color/printing choices make my eyes bleed on occasion).

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:13 pm

My acrobat won't load so I'll get the characters later. I love the ideas I'm reading about and plan on using a lot of it in my upcoming SpellJammer campaign.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Regarding character death in Hellas, mechanically.

As a part of character creation* you get to decide on your character's Fate. You can roll it randomly or have your GM choose. You can decide that you as a player know what it is, that your character knows what it is too, or just leave it in the dark. You have a pool of 10 Fate points as a Hero (you technically start at 0 Fate, but it maxes out at 10). Similar to Hero Points, you can "spend" one of your Fate points to get some bonuses (a plus to a roll, ignore some damage, do extra damage, and the like), but doing so increases your total Fate by 1 point. Rarely your GM may say that achieving something garners you a Fate point as well (very rarely - these would be big Epic moments, like Luke blowing up the Death Star on his own or Frodo losing the One Ring to Gollum who then falls into the pit of Mount Doom). When your character hits 10 Fate, then their Fate comes to pass. It doesn't have to happen right that moment in the game (indeed, few of the Fates given would likely be happening right at that moment), but at the end of that current adventure, it's going to happen.

On the other hand, there are enough ways to give yourself boosts and help during the game, that you're not really going to have a Hero just shot out from underneath you. If you never use your Fate points for boosts for rolls or the like, you're much less likely to accrue Fate. That said, a clever GM can always through something at the PCs where they need every boost they can get. Too, if as a GM you allow a character to spend Hero and Fate points for the same roll, then players may be more apt to spend both to get that one more extra bit of Ooomph.

As far as other interesting things, mechanically and in game:
Heroes are expected to have an adventure, and then go home and have down time. Each character has a profession that earns them revenue over time, but not while they're adventuring.
Heroes can change the nature of a place with Metousia. After an adventure, players might earn points of Metousia. Too, they can spend some of their experience for extra Met Points. By pooling those as a group they can change an aspect of a place (like make it more law-abiding, or more religious, or increase the quality of life, or make it more secure, and so forth).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:37 pm

writermonk wrote:Terran Trade Authority - based on some huge color art books of space-ships that came out decades ago, TTA is more of a hard sci-fi space setting. Essentially there are 3 races: Humans, Alphans, and Proximans. Technology is fairly advanced (hello! Spaceships!), but the races could easily be stripped out from their sci-fi heavy setting and used to populate a set of worlds. I think it'd be bit harder to stretch TTA to include magic, but plopping the TTA stuff into a magic-rich world like those from Spelljammer would certainly be do-able.
TTA was going to be a stand-alone project using the Omni rules system. However, due to some mismanagement and communications issues, Morrigan had to drop the game after it only put out two books. Those two were done PoD, so the only extra copies out there are folks who are willing to sell the ones they bought. That said, the creative team that was working for Morrigan to get the TTA stuff to press (including most of the artists) kept their rights to the material and were seeking a new publisher (and likely new game system). I've heard bits and pieces of rumors like it might wind up as a supplement to the latest incarnation of Traveller, but haven't actually seen any thing about it going back to press.
I've never seen Terrain Trade Authority, but there has been an official announcement about TTA by Battlefield Press Inc. They now hold the licence and Jonathan M. Thompson (of BPI) has started up this thread on The Piazza: [Traveller] Terran Trade Authority.

If you know any artists/writers who have TTA stuff that is lying in limbo, I would suggest you advise them to get in touch with Jonathan, as he might be able to buy some or all of their existing work and get it out to players. He might also be able to hire writers/artists for work on new products.

And if you or anyone else is interested in TTA, I would encourage you to restart that dormant thread and tell us more about it.
writermonk wrote:Hellas - more of the fantasy/space-opera than strict sci-fi, Hellas is Greek epic-insipired game where ships sail from world to world. There are a variety of races, from the Hellenes (race of Men) to the Myrmidons (humanoid-shaped colonies of insects) to the Zintar (cephalopodic water-dwellers who are remarkably adept at technology) and so on. Easily adaptable (as much so as Talislanta) to a D&D-style engine, it could likely provide a whole new constellation of worlds for a plane-hopping/spell-jammer game.
I've had my attention drawn to Hellas about two or three times now. I can't remember why I've not dashed out to buy it before, I am looking for some Greek stuff to give me ideas to flesh out Greatspace (to campaign setting level) and this, HR6 Ages of Heroes Campaign Sourcebook and the Greek section of Legends and Lore (which I already have) could prove useful.
writermonk wrote:Khepera Press liscenced the Omni engine first from Morrigan Press to do Hellas. They're now working with SMS to produce an art book for Talislanta, due out sometime next year.
I really hope that Talislanta art book does well. I hope the (usually) high production costs of art books don't make this too expensive for fans to buy. Please do pass on information when you know more.
Dave L wrote:This sounds like it could be very compatible with Spelljammer - I expect Big Mac will be along later with a lot of detailed questions to test that hypotheses. :)
Am I that predictable? - On second thoughts, don't bother to answer that! :lol:

Well, I am interested, but really (in this thread) I should be asking how TTA and Hellas would work as sources for Talislanta. What is it about these two settings that makes them any better than other settings?
writermonk wrote:
Dave L wrote:
writermonk wrote: Do I gather from this that Hellas is written for the Omni rules system?

It's not exactly written for the Omni rules system. Rather say that it took the Omni system as a base and changed it to fit the setting of Hellas (which, ideally, was what Omni was written for). Talislanta's Action Table is exactly the same. Stats and skills are largely the same - there are changes, of course, the addition of some technological skills, magic becomes Dynamism, the magical modes are pared down slightly. Khephera cleaned up the Talents section of Omni a great deal. They also added in things like Hero Points, Fate, systems for calling on the Gods, a very wonderfully done character creation section.
Hmm. Most Tal fans seem to be recommending 4e. Is Omni similar enough to that that these books can be used without much conversion?
writermonk wrote:The history/backstory in the game is that Hellenic culture places a high emphasis on an individual's skill and prowess, so while they do have computers for some things in daily life or on board large ships, people still memorize and recite epic poetry and warriors are renowned for their physical prowess in combat. Too, the Gods are very present and the Glory that attaches to a Hero is greater when they best a foe at single combat in melee range (higher if unarmed, higher still if unarmored) than that of someone who just pulls a trigger on a blaster or pushes a button from a distance. So even though its "space" there's reason built into the setting for folks to run around in little more than a tunic swinging a sword or spear.

Plus not all the swords and spears are that simple. There are Aether weapons - think lightsabers sorta if you want - and there are things like spears with minature rockets near the blade that can be triggered to give a little extra Ooomph for a strike.

There's a sample/quickstart for Hellas here - http://www.hellasworlds.com/HELLAS_sample.pdf
Ah. That was it. It was too sci-fi for me. Although, I might want to try to do something else with the Virtual Eclipse universe sometime and it might be interesting for that.
Dave L wrote:
Azaghal wrote:Dave you meant this line?
Actually, it was more this section:
Why does my character have to die?

HELLAS is a role-playing game that spans generations. A character must die to make room for the new Heroes in the saga. One of the great things about Hellenic mythology is that the Hero goes through life wreaking havoc, walks in the wake of disaster and all sorts of collateral damage, and comes out okay. But the one thing that the Hellenic Hero can never escape is his eventual death. Hellenic Heroes didn’t fear death — they feared not being remembered. Being remembered in tales told and songs sung made the Hellenic Hero immortal. All good stories have an end, and all good Heroes should have a fate. For a Hellenic Hero, it’s not that he died — it’s how he is remembered living his life.

The other reason for a need for character death is the generational quality of the story being told. Once the character dies he is followed by his children or friends who take up the cause and move on. In Hellenic mythology the main characters were always in touch with someone or something greater than themselves. Heracles is the son of the woman Alcmene who is the daughter of King Electryon, who was the son of Perseus. How cool is that? We haven’t even included the fact that Zeus was their father and already the legacy of the Hero is colorful.

Don’t fear the character’s death — embrace it. It will actually help with the story of the game knowing that eventually your character will die. The X-factor of death is taken out of the equation and leaves room for the story leading up to his death.
That is something that could easily be exported for use with HR6, Greatspace, Legends and Lore or any other Hellenic game.

I was actually thinking of trying to find a way to get players to enjoy rolling up "backup characters". Many of my RPGs, have had a setup period, where we are all trying to push through character creation to get to the game, but if someone was onboard with the epic story concept, they could perhaps roll up an entire family of characters or a group of friends. Characters could even be rotated around without the GM needing to kill one to let the next one play.

I think maybe we should have a Hellas thread in Other Worlds, where we can talk outside of how this can be used for Talislanta.
writermonk wrote:As a bit of a disclaimer, the pre-made PCs for the "Fire in the Blood" adventure (all of whom can be found here - http://www.godsendagenda.com/art/Heroes_of_HELLAS.pdf) were written/created by me. I had a list of things Jerry wanted (gimme an Amazoran gunslinger, and a Nephelai assassin, and a Mymridon soldier, etc), but that was it. As a bit of warning, one of the character portraits in there has frontal female nudity, in case any of you are at work or have kids on your lap. Too, it should be noted that this band of 5 adventurers are a bit on the rough/not-quite-so-noble heroic side. Yes, they're heroes. Yes, they get things done. They're not exactly knights in shining armor. A bit closer to the crew of Firefly, Han Solo, and the like rather than the vision of a paladin or a knight.
Too, "Princes of the Universe" is going to have another character I created somewhere in it as well as one that my wife made (if you want to try to strain your eyes, the character she made is here - http://www.godsendagenda.com/art/Kaia.jpg).
I'm not currently making any money off of Hellas (though I did get paid for those 5 PCs above), but I do think that it's an awesome and well-written game (even if some of the color/printing choices make my eyes bleed on occasion).
Hmm. How much Hellas stuff have you made? What other settings have you worked on? Did you make any TTA stuff?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Big Mac wrote:
I've never seen Terrain Trade Authority, but there has been an official announcement about TTA by Battlefield Press Inc. They now hold the licence and Jonathan M. Thompson (of BPI) has started up this thread on The Piazza: [Traveller] Terran Trade Authority.
If you know any artists/writers who have TTA stuff that is lying in limbo, I would suggest you advise them to get in touch with Jonathan, as he might be able to buy some or all of their existing work and get it out to players. He might also be able to hire writers/artists for work on new products.
And if you or anyone else is interested in TTA, I would encourage you to restart that dormant thread and tell us more about it.
Popped over and resurrected the thread with a hopeful word.
I've had my attention drawn to Hellas about two or three times now. I can't remember why I've not dashed out to buy it before, I am looking for some Greek stuff to give me ideas to flesh out Greatspace (to campaign setting level) and this, HR6 Ages of Heroes Campaign Sourcebook and the Greek section of Legends and Lore (which I already have) could prove useful.
Hellas is more "Greek inspired" than pure Greek. They use some similar names, but it's not really Greeks in Space. Still, good for idea-mining.
I really hope that Talislanta art book does well. I hope the (usually) high production costs of art books don't make this too expensive for fans to buy. Please do pass on information when you know more.
I hope so, too. After the inital announcement buzz there hasn't been much more talk about it. But, given the high production values on Hellas and its supplements, I'm hopeful.
Well, I am interested, but really (in this thread) I should be asking how TTA and Hellas would work as sources for Talislanta. What is it about these two settings that makes them any better than other settings?
For use with Talislanta, TTA doesn't offer a whole lot - unless you're converting the Proximans or Alphans into new races. Hellas, likewise, could be mined for its races, as well as serving as some alternate dimension. The Hellenes as a group could easily be shifted into Archaens that fled prior to the Great Disaster and whom have had their civilization grow for thousands and thousands of years while time in Talislanta moved slower.

The Atlanteans in Hellas could be substituted or switched with the Brood in Midnight Realm as both have an interest in the use of biological organisms for tools.
Hmm. Most Tal fans seem to be recommending 4e. Is Omni similar enough to that that these books can be used without much conversion?
Omni can be used in place of Tal 4 to a degree. Omni introduces things like Talents (sort of like Feats from D&D 3.0 and up) and starts the condensing of magical Modes that culminates in Tal 5. There are some minor changes that Omni does in its rules-set: some skills are merged (i.e., Weapon Groups instead of individual Weapons) and some stats are changed (Armor PR Values for different types of damage) and some rules are added (things like vehicular movement and combat (though the latter needs work).
Ah. That was it. It was too sci-fi for me. Although, I might want to try to do something else with the Virtual Eclipse universe sometime and it might be interesting for that.
It definately has a sci-fi vibe to everything. But they still manage to do a good job of working the setting so that sword-wielding heroes at the front of battle (as well as monsters and abandoned temples and heavy politics and small kingdoms) make sense.
I think maybe we should have a Hellas thread in Other Worlds, where we can talk outside of how this can be used for Talislanta.
As time allows, I may get over there to do just that. Unless one of you wants to beat me to the punch.
Hmm. How much Hellas stuff have you made? What other settings have you worked on? Did you make any TTA stuff?
Hellas, really very little. The sample characters above are pretty much it. I was a bit of a help when Jerry was trying to track down SMS (of Talislanta) and Scott (from Morrigan) so that he could see about using the Omni system/Talislanta mechanics for Hellas, but that mainly consisted of passing along some contact information. While I'd love to write for Hellas, I'm pretty sure that Jerry's got what he needs for the current production line-up for Hellas.
As for TTA, I was in contact with one of the writers/artists when Morrigan (briefly) had the license. Scott over at Morrigan paired us together for some other purpose entirely, but since this artist/writer was working on TTA at the time, that's one of the things we talked about. I got to see some of the early work done on the ships and I think I might've seen an early write-up on the stat-mechanics for the Alphans, but aside from me going "Oh wow!" and "This is cool" and ":drool: When is this being released again?", I didn't really have any input.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:02 pm

Personally I can see either playing both of them and/or mining for ideas.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Azaghal wrote:Personally I can see either playing both of them and/or mining for ideas.
Yeah, after writing Celadon with its (small) variety of Plant and Insect races, I wish that I had come up with the idea of the Myrmidons to use there. I may still use the Myrmidons in some future Celadon games that I run as a third playable insectoid-race just because they're so cool.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 pm

writermonk wrote:
Azaghal wrote:Personally I can see either playing both of them and/or mining for ideas.
Yeah, after writing Celadon with its (small) variety of Plant and Insect races, I wish that I had come up with the idea of the Myrmidons to use there. I may still use the Myrmidons in some future Celadon games that I run as a third playable insectoid-race just because they're so cool.
Funny you should write that, I'm working on a Cockroach inspired Japanese race for Spelljammer right now.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Thread up in the Other Worlds forum. Basically repeated what I'd said here but with the Tal-stuff culled from it.

Any questions, feel free to ask! Not that I know all the answers, but I can try to find them.

Too, I've pointed Jerry this way, so I know he's seen the thread. Maybe we can entice him into joining as well.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 pm

writermonk wrote:Thread up in the Other Worlds forum. Basically repeated what I'd said here but with the Tal-stuff culled from it.

Any questions, feel free to ask! Not that I know all the answers, but I can try to find them.

Too, I've pointed Jerry this way, so I know he's seen the thread. Maybe we can entice him into joining as well.

The more people we can get over here discussing games and systems the better.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:12 am

Azaghal wrote:
writermonk wrote:Too, I've pointed Jerry this way, so I know he's seen the thread. Maybe we can entice him into joining as well.
The more people we can get over here discussing games and systems the better.
True. Information empowers gamers. :cool:

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know exactly who Jerry is. Does he own Omni? Did he design it? Is he the leading expert? I'm guessing yes to at least one of those.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know exactly who Jerry is. Does he own Omni? Did he design it? Is he the leading expert? I'm guessing yes to at least one of those.
Jerry Grayson is one of the owners/writers for Khepera Press (the folks doing the Art Book for Talislanta, among other things) and is the go-to guy for Hellas.
Plus, he's pretty creative and cool.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 pm

writermonk wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know exactly who Jerry is. Does he own Omni? Did he design it? Is he the leading expert? I'm guessing yes to at least one of those.
Jerry Grayson is one of the owners/writers for Khepera Press (the folks doing the Art Book for Talislanta, among other things) and is the go-to guy for Hellas.
Plus, he's pretty creative and cool.
Thanks for that. He definitely would be a great person to get onboard. Actually, he sounds like he might be a bit like Clark Peterson (from Sword & Sorcery Studios).

Needles
Kobold

Post by Needles » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:13 am

Nexus The Infinite City had a conversion from the regular Talislanta system over to the 6 system that is very similar to the Feng Shui rpg. There were also notes on using the Scent of The Beast adventure as a starting point for a cross over game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus:_The_Infinite_City

Return to “Talislanta”