Talislanta and Atlantis

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

Talislanta and Atlantis

Postby PeterLind » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:10 am

I know, this is not very related . . . So here's the basic idea for your comments:

I like SMS's Atlantis for a conventional fantasy setting and, of course, like Talislanta for a more exotic setting. I like the rules in The Arcanum (2nd ed. 1985) but like the Talislantan system better (2E/3E), with its Action Table mechanics, experience point progression, Attribute bonuses, archetypal characters, and spell system. So how about converting The Atlantis system to the Talislanta system (in its 3E incarnation)? I do not think it would be very difficult, and there seems to be a close affinity between these systems. Who knows, after doing such a conversion, I might have a group of Atlantean characters go through a gate to Talislanta . . .

What do you think?
PeterLind
Hobgoblin

Re: Talislanta and Atlantis

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:55 am

Interesting! Do you have a link for SMS' Atlantis?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby PeterLind » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 am

Nope sorry I don't. The OMNI version is out electronically, but I am talking about the 2nd edition that came out in the 80s.

I picked up The Arcanum at my FLGS back when it came out. Even for those who play other FRPG's like D&D, it has a lot of good source material, particularly for spells, alchemy and herbalism.
PeterLind
Hobgoblin

Postby BlackBat242 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:59 am

The Arcanum is a role-playing game by Bard Games. Like many early published systems, it closely followed the tropes of AD&D and other contemporary games, such as Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game. The game is set in an Atlantis of the Antidiluvian Age, 10,000 to 12,000 years BCE, in a mythological land similar to Earth.

http://rpgtalk.wikia.com/wiki/The_Arcanum

The main rulebook The Arcanum, noted for its extensive magic system, was published in 1984, which was followed by a cleaned up and expanded Second Edition, as clearly indicated on the cover, in 1985. A setting The Lexicon: Atlas of the Lost World of Atlantis was released in 1985, followed by The Bestiary in 1986. The two latter books were republished in 1989 with some new material added as Atlantis, the Lost World.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Havard » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:51 am

Ah, okay. At least I know a little more now. Thanks! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby PeterLind » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:44 am

Okay, so here's the basic idea for using the Tal 3E rules for the Atlantean setting. . .

1. Use the Talislanta 3E ruleset as the core rules.
2. Use the "Creating New Archetypes" section (starting on p. 247) of the Talislanta Guidebook (3E) to create approximations of the races and professions presented in The Arcanum rulebook. Probably some more conversion guidelines are needed for the races in the Arcanum.
3. With this in mind, I think you are almost good to go. Use The Arcanum as the source for magical fields of study and spells available to spellcasters. Convert spells as needed.
4. Allow some customizing to allow for differences among the race and profession combinations, keeping in mind that generic characters are not being created.
PeterLind
Hobgoblin

Postby BlackBat242 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 am

Havard wrote:Ah, okay. At least I know a little more now. Thanks! :)

-Havard

Lots more in this thread: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4299

I'm surprised you didn't catch the "Havard-Summoning" Big Mac performed in this post on that thread: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?p=61202#p61202
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby PeterLind » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:10 am

On the Arcanum thread -- I would be happy to supply info on request from those books . . . good stuff. Perhaps we could resurrect that thread?

Interesting discussion on creating a wilderness map. A good idea. My two cents are:

1. Follow Gary Gygax's advice in Underworld & Wilderness Adventures. Start with a town that can act as a home base for the adventurers and place a starter dungeon nearby. Then expand from there.

2. In the Atlantean setting, I would pick the City of Tartessos in Tharshesh as the starting area. This trading city fills in a role for the setting similar to Lankhmar or Greyhawk. In the surrounding wilderness, SMS mentions that there are ancient ruins to be explored, a silver mine recently opened up by the Tharshi, etc.
PeterLind
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 pm

PeterLind wrote:On the Arcanum thread -- I would be happy to supply info on request from those books . . . good stuff. Perhaps we could resurrect that thread?

Go for it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby PeterLind » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:25 am

I have posted a review of the Introduction to The Arcanum (2nd ed) in the older thread, which is in the "Other Worlds" section -- scroll down. :)
PeterLind
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby writermonk » Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm

As some of you may already know, Jerry Grayson who put out Hellas is doing a new version of Atlantis

http://kck.st/151X9Li is the link to the Kickstarter (which is already over goal).

Now, there is less in this version of Atlantis to tie it to Talislanta like the older version(s) did. However, there may be more room to therefore tie this new Atlantis into a cosmology with other worlds. There are even some single lines of text here and there (in the draft setting document that's still being edited) to indicate that at one time the Moon was a lush and verdant place.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 am

writermonk wrote:As some of you may already know, Jerry Grayson who put out Hellas is doing a new version of Atlantis

http://kck.st/151X9Li is the link to the Kickstarter (which is already over goal).

Atlantis: The Second Age on Kickstarter wrote:Music Credit

Music for the kickstarter video graciously provided by Stephan Michael Sechi from his Talislanta: Wizard Hunter CD.

Hey! Looks like there is a Talislanta tie-in after all! ;)

writermonk wrote:Now, there is less in this version of Atlantis to tie it to Talislanta like the older version(s) did. However, there may be more room to therefore tie this new Atlantis into a cosmology with other worlds. There are even some single lines of text here and there (in the draft setting document that's still being edited) to indicate that at one time the Moon was a lush and verdant place.

I suppose if you bring back Atlantis, you might as well have some other mythical stuff in there with it. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby writermonk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:57 am

Right!

Well, the main Atlantis: the Second Age book is done and off at the printers and while I don't personally think it'll be back and shipped and on peoples doorsteps before Christmas, stranger things have happened.

The second Atlantis: the Second Age book is Atlantis: Geographica, and it details the rest of the Antediluvian world. Details are not great - if you're familiar with the old Talislanta Cyclopedias or the earlier Atlantis works, you've got a decent idea of what this will be like: snippets that detail each nation enough to start building a game there, but leaving enough open for individual groups to craft what they want there.
It'll also have pages of plot hooks and adventure seeds keyed to each large geographical region.

I've seen the basic layout for the book; i.e., something akin to the early Atlantis draft that came out with the first kickstarter. Enough to get an idea of layout and the like, but no artwork. I know that there is already some artwork that Jerry's got for the book - there've been some teasers here and there.

There's very little connection between this version of Atlantis and Talislanta. Which isn't a bad thing. They're two separate games with broadly different themes and goals and while some of their playstyles do overlap, they're still distinct.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Imaginos » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 pm

I received my printed copy of Atlantis the Second Age (from Khepera Publishing) last week. It is gorgeous. I definitely recommend picking up a copy if you enjoy the Tal System and Atlantis.
Imaginos
Goblin

Postby writermonk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:06 pm

Imaginos wrote:I received my printed copy of Atlantis the Second Age (from Khepera Publishing) last week. It is gorgeous. I definitely recommend picking up a copy if you enjoy the Tal System and Atlantis.

Some of the art going into Geographica is pretty amazing, too. I can't wait to see the final printed version. :mrgreen:
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Imaginos » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 pm

writermonk wrote:Some of the art going into Geographica is pretty amazing, too. I can't wait to see the final printed version. :mrgreen:

I regret not backing that one. I missed out on the original Atlantis KS, then didn't back the Geographica (should have gotten a Geographica + Atlantis core level). Instead I'm having to buy them separately (and not as much goes to Khepera).
Imaginos
Goblin

Postby writermonk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Imaginos wrote:
writermonk wrote:Some of the art going into Geographica is pretty amazing, too. I can't wait to see the final printed version. :mrgreen:

I regret not backing that one. I missed out on the original Atlantis KS, then didn't back the Geographica (should have gotten a Geographica + Atlantis core level). Instead I'm having to buy them separately (and not as much goes to Khepera).

While I don't have Geographica (yet), I do have copies of the main book.
If you're in the continental US, I could probably sell and ship you one for cover price. And sign it, too!
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:53 pm

I just picked up Atlantis the Second Age. Should be an interesting read! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Talislanta