No male Muses?

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

No male Muses?

Postby BillionSix » Fri May 18, 2012 7:22 am

I notice we have never seen a pic of a male Muse.

Not that I mind, since I like looking at the female ones.

Here's my thoughts on it, if I ever ran a game, this is how it would be.

Most Muses are female. Like 90%. It's one of their race's weird genetic quirks. The males are even less likely than the females to want to leave Astar, and why would they? Basically, they spend every day in Astar wandering from place to place having lots of sex with practically every woman they meet. That's their role. To be wandering seed dispensers.
That's not to say there aren't exceptions. Some might get a bit of wanderlust, or curiosity as to what the women are like outside Astar. It's not that they are less intelligent or capable, they just have a really good deal and stick with it.
BillionSix
Hobgoblin

Re: No male Muses?

Postby writermonk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 am

Sounds viable to me.

Alternately, all the Muses are female and a significant portion of their Whisp companions/familiars are male. Huge gender bimorphism in the same vein as the Batreans.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Another possibility is that male Muses are very very pretty and often mistaken for females, by members of other races. Perhaps they might even have a metrosexual culture, where male Muse behavior is very very similar to female Muse behavior or maybe the males are usually even more "feminine" than the females. That might make it very hard to tell the sex of a Muse if they have their clothes on.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby BillionSix » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 am

Big Mac wrote:Another possibility is that male Muses are very very pretty and often mistaken for females, by members of other races. Perhaps they might even have a metrosexual culture, where male Muse behavior is very very similar to female Muse behavior or maybe the males are usually even more "feminine" than the females. That might make it very hard to tell the sex of a Muse if they have their clothes on.

hehe. Bishie muses.
BillionSix
Hobgoblin

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:51 am

Big Mac wrote:Another possibility is that male Muses are very very pretty and often mistaken for females, by members of other races. Perhaps they might even have a metrosexual culture, where male Muse behavior is very very similar to female Muse behavior or maybe the males are usually even more "feminine" than the females. That might make it very hard to tell the sex of a Muse if they have their clothes on.

That's kind of a cool idea, actually. Not dissimilar to the Berdache of Native American peoples pre-European contact. Or, for that matter, the more loose gender concepts of Ancient Greece compared to later post-Christianity times.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby writermonk » Fri May 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Or to steal an idea from Hellas, the Muses do have both genders (or three, bear with me for that), but both genders look to outsiders to be female. Muses can tell one another apart, of course, through a variety of means, but physically and externally all of the "look female." Genitalia are hidden, withdrawn, whatever.

As far as three genders take the above idea, but expand it and toss in some bee-like activity. There are male and female Muses, but they do not procreate in the way that other species do, requiring instead a third-gender (the Whisps) to carry out fertilization/pollination amongst a group.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 pm

writermonk wrote:Or to steal an idea from Hellas, the Muses do have both genders (or three, bear with me for that), but both genders look to outsiders to be female. Muses can tell one another apart, of course, through a variety of means, but physically and externally all of the "look female." Genitalia are hidden, withdrawn, whatever.

As far as three genders take the above idea, but expand it and toss in some bee-like activity. There are male and female Muses, but they do not procreate in the way that other species do, requiring instead a third-gender (the Whisps) to carry out fertilization/pollination amongst a group.

Didn't Alien Nation have something like a third sex?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Mulsiphix » Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 pm

BillionSix wrote:Most Muses are female. Like 90%. It's one of their race's weird genetic quirks. The males are even less likely than the females to want to leave Astar, and why would they? Basically, they spend every day in Astar wandering from place to place having lots of sex with practically every woman they meet. That's their role. To be wandering seed dispensers.

That's not to say there aren't exceptions. Some might get a bit of wanderlust, or curiosity as to what the women are like outside Astar. It's not that they are less intelligent or capable, they just have a really good deal and stick with it.
Oh man this this this! That's how I would play it :cool:
No Elves! Talislanta released for FREE Apr 1st 2010! - - - - - - - - - -1980's Talislanta Gencon Ad and Poster
20yr RPG, 30 books @ approx 5,000 combined pages! - - - - - - - - - Interview with creator Stephan Michael Sechi
Download the Talislanta library or take a Virtual Tour! - - - - - - - - -The Tal Scanning Project needs your help!
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby BillionSix » Mon May 13, 2013 3:05 am

Mulsiphix wrote:
BillionSix wrote:Most Muses are female. Like 90%. It's one of their race's weird genetic quirks. The males are even less likely than the females to want to leave Astar, and why would they? Basically, they spend every day in Astar wandering from place to place having lots of sex with practically every woman they meet. That's their role. To be wandering seed dispensers.

Oh man this this this! That's how I would play it :cool:

*takes a small bow*
BillionSix
Hobgoblin

Postby hawkwood » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:31 am

Perhaps Muses are all female but reproduce through gynogenesis (kind of like parthenogensis) - like some mollies (a fish, Poecilia formosa). They have to mate with males of another species to stimulate egg development, but there is no exchange of genetic material. This would make whole lines of Muses clones, of course.
hawkwood
Goblin

Postby Justinov » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 pm

hawkwood wrote:Perhaps Muses are all female but reproduce through gynogenesis (kind of like parthenogensis) - like some mollies (a fish, Poecilia formosa). They have to mate with males of another species to stimulate egg development, but there is no exchange of genetic material. This would make whole lines of Muses clones, of course.

Nice idea!
Lot's of muses on a secluded island and the PC's arrive; a bit Odysseus-like. The question is what the muses do to the males beside inspire them......
You can also introduce the occasional mutation from the general clone pattern.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby hawkwood » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:08 am

Yes, you'd get mutations. Unfortunately, most mutations are deleterious and you'd run into Muller's Ratchet where deleterious mutations accumulate and you can't get rid of them from the clonal line. But, I still like the idea.

NT
hawkwood
Goblin

Postby Justinov » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:17 pm

hawkwood wrote:Yes, you'd get mutations. Unfortunately, most mutations are deleterious and you'd run into Muller's Ratchet where deleterious mutations accumulate and you can't get rid of them from the clonal line. But, I still like the idea.

NT

Some asexual reproducing creatures actually have sexual reproduction on occasion to avoid Muller's Ratchet - that a muse suddenly feel the urge for sexual reproduction might be an adventure in itself!
What does the rest of her society say to that for instance?!
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby hawkwood » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Ha. Could be Vulcan like...
hawkwood
Goblin

Postby Justinov » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:21 pm

hawkwood wrote:Ha. Could be Vulcan like...

if that could even be called sexual creatures :D

Justinov
Stone Giant

Return to Talislanta