Announcement: GazBC 1 The Shimmering Lands!

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Announcement: GazBC 1 The Shimmering Lands!

Postby Chimpman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm pleased to announce (at last) that GazBC 1, The Shimmering Lands DM's and Player's Guides are now both available! These are alpha versions, and I would love to get feedback.

GazBC 1, The Shimmering Lands DM's Guide
GazBC 1, The Shimmering Lands Player's Guide
The accompanying map can be found here:
Outer World: Shimmering Lands 2300 BC, 8 miles per hex
Last edited by Chimpman on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Announcement: GazBC 1 The Shimmering Lands (DM's Guide)!

Postby Havard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Wow! Just wow!

Amazing material, great art, wonderful maps and illustrations!

Who knows why I am credited here John (although connections to my Vales campaign are not missed :) ), you are just too modest. Your baby is beautiful! :)

I love the monster section. The Radience Wisp is a very cool idea, and feels very Mystaran.

Great stuff! Downloaded and will be printing out ASAP :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Havard wrote:Who knows why I am credited here John (although connections to my Vales campaign are not missed :) ), you are just too modest. Your baby is beautiful! :)

Well, unfortunately I did not keep meticulous notes on all of my sources, but at the very least I wanted to credit folks who participated in some of the discussion threads (here on The Piazza, and The Comeback Inn) since those posts were very beneficial in generating ideas. If you see your name in the credits, that's probably why (because you're right - I did pull this off mostly on my own ;) ).

I think I listed that as "Content Contributors" but perhaps there is a better term? Creative Consultants? I did wonder about that. I definitely don't want to mis-credit folks here, but I did feel some acknowledgement was required.

Thanks for the high praise! This really was a labor of love (which is also why it took me so darned log to get out ;) ), and I hope that folks will enjoy it. Please post here if you have any questions or find any inconsistencies (which I'm, sure someone will).

Ohh... bonus point to first person who can give me the name of the dwarf on the front cover. Yes, he's listed in there somewhere :twisted:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 pm

I can't get to the file on my iPad, but can't wait to read this once I get home. Once I actually have some free time. Which won't be untill Saturday....

Killer work weeks suck. :|
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sturm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Great work, slowly reading it!
Praises and thanks!

Could the one on the cover be "Krynnax Yardrak, a middle aged dwarf with a fiend tinged eye"?

It would be too much to ask for an "Adventures ideas" section?
Also an encounter table could be useful :)

About history James Mishler's Age of Blackmoor (http://pandius.com/ageblack.html) put dwarves in Brun, I presume more or less in the Rockhome area, while it seems you put them in the far west of Brun... It's because you used the idea "KW as the Blackmoorian era north pole", right? You still have a chromatic dragons kingdom in 2300BC and before? Maybe in Norwold?
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm

RobJN wrote:I can't get to the file on my iPad, but can't wait to read this once I get home. Once I actually have some free time. Which won't be untill Saturday....

Killer work weeks suck. :|

Can't get to the file on your iPad - does that mean the file can't be downloaded or that it can't be read? Since it's a PDF I would hope that an iPad could read it (if not, please let me know... maybe I can fix it somehow). On the other hand I put the file out in a Google docs directory, so maybe that's the problem. Perhaps if I put it somewhere else you would be able to get to it easier? Let me know. I may be able to provide another link for download. At some point (once it's in a semi-stable state) I'd like to send it over to Shawn and have the Vaults host it.

As for the killer work week(s) I'm going through a few myself... :evil:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Sturm wrote:Great work, slowly reading it!
Praises and thanks!

Thanks Sturm!

Sturm wrote:Could the one on the cover be "Krynnax Yardrak, a middle aged dwarf with a fiend tinged eye"?

Ding, ding, ding! :mrgreen: Yes, that's the one! Actually the drawing came first, and I just had to insert the guy somewhere in the Gaz.

Sturm wrote:It would be too much to ask for an "Adventures ideas" section?
Also an encounter table could be useful :)

Nope, it's not too much to ask. My original intention was always to provide 3 books - DM's Guide, Player's Guide, and Adventures. The Players Guide should be released in the next two weeks or so - it's almost complete. You may have to wait a bit longer for adventures. I do have several ideas, but they're not quite fleshed out. I want to break them out by level the same way that some of the other Gazs do (Basic, Expert, Master, etc...). I like the idea of an encounter table as well. It would almost make sense in the Geography section, but I feel like adding that there might bloat the DM's guide too much. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Sturm wrote:About history James Mishler's Age of Blackmoor (http://pandius.com/ageblack.html) put dwarves in Brun, I presume more or less in the Rockhome area, while it seems you put them in the far west of Brun... It's because you used the idea "KW as the Blackmoorian era north pole", right?

Correct. I'm one of those Blackmoor in the North Pole guys ;). I'm basing my placement of the original Brunian dwarf colonists on one of Zomp's maps. Let me see if I can find it...
Blackmoor and Pre-Cataclysmic Mystara

Sturm wrote:You still have a chromatic dragons kingdom in 2300BC and before? Maybe in Norwold?

This is actually a really good question... but not one I've thought about a lot. I'm going to have to go back and look at some of the Wyrmsteeth work that has been done before and see what I can pull from that.
Last edited by Chimpman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 am

Just printed out this. Will be enjoying reading the paper version more closely later this afternoon :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zendrolion » Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Wow, great work Chimp! :cool:

I love the style of the work, the pictures, everything (also the last page with previews)! Very cool! ;)

I also spotted what could be a missing name on page 45, left column, under "Shadowmancy", where it says: Though once members of the Felwig and Karlheig clans, the short period of time spent in the depths of the earth beneath the XXX Mountains.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5
Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Postby Hugin » Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Oh, very cool! I have to find some bits of spare time to graze on this!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 am

Thanks folks. Let me know if you have any comments once you've had a chance to read through it!

Zendrolion wrote:Wow, great work Chimp! :cool:

I love the style of the work, the pictures, everything (also the last page with previews)! Very cool! ;)

I also spotted what could be a missing name on page 45, left column, under "Shadowmancy", where it says: Though once members of the Felwig and Karlheig clans, the short period of time spent in the depths of the earth beneath the XXX Mountains.

Ahh... you caught one Zen! I had intended to go back to my Alphatia maps and work out a historical name for the Denwarf Hurgon range (the name escapes me ATM), but I must have let that slip. It's on the list of things to fix for the next version.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Announcement: GazBC 1 The Shimmering Lands!

Postby Chimpman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:13 am

I have just uploaded the Shimmering Lands Player's Guide (listed here and added into the first post as well).

GazBC 1, The Shimmering Lands Player's Guide

Hope you enjoy! There are a few sections in the Player's Guide that could use a little more love, but it's fine as a first pass. My intention is to go back and revamp it after I get the next one in the series out. The adventurer's booklet is still in the works, but that might take a back burner for now.

Anyway, please let me know what you think!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Announcement: GazBC 1 The Shimmering Lands!

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:20 pm

What a fascinating job! I wish you all the best and all the free time that you need to complete it all!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Return to 2300 BC