[Nation] The Shimmering Lands

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Antalians

Postby Scaevola » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:29 am

Obviously I have my own ideas regarding the Antalians :mrgreen:

I hope to be able to write some of them soon

And add my thoughts to the Kogolor issue

But I also think solution 3 is the best one ^^
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
Centurion of the XIVth Cohort
Saxa Rubra (Redstone), Thyatis
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We poor few forged as brothers in this furnace will emerge as the steel of future generations"
Scaevola
Bugbear

Re: Mystara 2300 BC - The Shimmering Lands

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:08 am

Chimpman wrote:Solution 3: The Kogolor dwarves were native to Brun. This is also possible, and not something that I'd thought of before these discussions. I'd have them live in the mountains of Rockhome, while their brethren immigrate into the Northern Reaches and Bridge of Oost regions. Having the Kogolor be in Brun first, might be the reason that the Skotharian dwarves venture here in the first place. Their homeland had just been devastated, and they had distant relatives in Brun whom they could turn to for succor. So far, this option causes the least amount of problems. The Kogolor and the SL gnomes have very similar mindsets. They could have been on Brun for a long time (pre Blackmoor even) and that could account for the different language and alphabet. It could also account for different immortals (my Skotharian dwarves have a very Blackmoor influenced pantheon), and possibly the reason that Kagyar ignores them - he has no followers among them. Perhaps he feels sorry enough for them to drop them off in the HW (thus protecting them from any radiance danger in the area), but not obligated to modify them and include them with his "chosen" people.

I like this sollution too. It also makes Kagyar come off as less fascist than in Aallston's version, which is a good thing IMO. There have been goat herding dwarves on Brun since before Blackmoor so the Kogolor could be descendants of these. In the Shimmering Lands setting Rockhome is probably where most Kogolor are found, though I see them originally living further north in Norwold. They may have been driven from these lands by dragons centuries before.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Havard wrote:I like this sollution too. It also makes Kagyar come off as less fascist than in Aallston's version, which is a good thing IMO. There have been goat herding dwarves on Brun since before Blackmoor so the Kogolor could be descendants of these. In the Shimmering Lands setting Rockhome is probably where most Kogolor are found, though I see them originally living further north in Norwold. They may have been driven from these lands by dragons centuries before.

The more I think about this solution, the more I like it as well. It has some added benefits too. It gives me 2 (vastly different) dwarven cultures to play against each other. Whereas most folks are probably pretty leery of the Moadreg, they may have better reactions toward the Kogolor, although the opposite may be true as well - the Kogolor may get a worse wrap just being associated with their brethren. I get two languages, and two alphabets, and all kinds of potential friction between the two dwarven cultures. In a lot of ways the Moadreg are like your wastrel brother-in-law who comes for a visit and then never leaves your house. ...and kicks you out of the house and makes you live in the back yard. ;)

I'll spend some time going through some of my previous sections and seeing what needs to be changed to account for this. On the whole I think it will strengthen the setting.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Scaevola » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:18 pm

One suggestion: one thing where I wouldn't like to see your work heading is the one where Kogolors are all nice, Moadreg arrive from Skothar, the two groups remain separated, from the first one sprouts the Denwarf and from the second the Modrigswerg - it would be too easy and lift too much responsabilities from the shoulders of the Denwarf ("yeah we were lawful good all along, then those Modrig guys came from Skothar but we repelled them because we are so lawful good, y'know?"). I'd like to see the Moadreg culture as the result of Radiomancy Dwarves from Skothar mixing with Soulbinding Kogolors who learned those techniques from evil Deep Elves to protect themselves from radioactivity - I mean, there is great potential for soulbinders and radiomancers to get along and be intersted in each other's work, and this would create a new leader caste of wizards and clerics hiding in their housholds and experimenting with magic. Obviously "traditionalist" Kogolors and the lower caste of the Skotharian dwarves would be the ones living on the surface, in cities etc. The mixing of merry-going Kogolors and gloomy Moadrag lower caste creates the basis for the "new" Dwarven attitude toward life, and also the need for Immortals to take a bunch of the old Kogolors and put them in the HW, since "curing" the dwarves will not be enough in BC 1800 to preserve the former Brunian-dwarven culture.

To sum up thing - I'd like to see the split between the various dwarven philosophies ("return to stone", "radiomancy" and "demonic worship") to happen all over the society, from leaders to lower caste, and through the two dwarven races.

I hope I made myself clear on the issue :p in case I didn't, I can provide some examples of how I would like to see things.
Then you can simply dismiss all of this. :p
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We poor few forged as brothers in this furnace will emerge as the steel of future generations"
Scaevola
Bugbear

Postby Chimpman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:13 pm

Definitely keep posting Giulio! So far you've given me a lot to think about and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. As to the general direction I'm heading... it will be a very solid "shades of gray" so I think we are on the same track there. For example Denwarf/Dranwyrf as currently written is a Moadreg, and the struggle I see coming up in 1800 BC is not as simple as Kogolor vs Moadreg.

What I hadn't considered (and an idea that I really like by the way) is that the Kogolor are the originators of fiend worship in the Shimmering Lands. It makes sense actually as they would have been the closest to the Deep Elves for the longest period of time. [This has an added benefit of making them more interesting in the HW as well :twisted: ] One thing I'd like to do though is to preserve the animosity between dwarves and elves. This makes the origin of the dark arts a "dirty little secret" of a select few of dwarves and Deep Elves.

For their part, the Deep Elves are more than happy to corrupt the dwrves. I would imagine though that most Kogolor (and most Moadreg as well) would be pretty upset to find out that some of their brethren have had dealings with elves on such a level (even if it did provide the means for their survival). I'd say that most dwarven practitioners of the dark arts consider them to be a dwarven invention (and don't know the real origin). Only a select few dwarves know the truth - and still have dealings with the Deep Elves.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re:

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Scaevola wrote:I guess this is a good moment to point out that my name is written GIULIO and not GUILIO... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just change your name. Worked for me anyway :?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Re:

Postby Chimpman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Scaevola wrote:I guess this is a good moment to point out that my name is written GIULIO and not GUILIO... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just change your name. Worked for me anyway :?

:oops: That's one of the problems with online communities. I've known you for several years and never once had to actually speak your name... and thus never had to pronounce it correctly. I must confess that in my own head I completely drop the i in the pronunciation (which I'm sure is also completely wrong). I do apologize for the mistake.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Chimpman wrote: :oops: That's one of the problems with online communities. I've known you for several years and never once had to actually speak your name... and thus never had to pronounce it correctly. I must confess that in my own head I completely drop the i in the pronunciation (which I'm sure is also completely wrong). I do apologize for the mistake.

I'm guessing the i is there to indicate a soft G rather than a "Gh" sound.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Scaevola » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Scaevola wrote:GIULIO and not GUILIO

:oops: That's one of the problems with online communities. I've known you for several years and never once had to actually speak your name

Hey don't worry! No problem at all, really! You should come to Italy and see how many Italians write JHON instead of John...
And if you were to correct all my English mistakes in my posts and mails to the MML... :roll:

About the pronunciation, Havard is right: the first part of my name is pronounced exactly like the English name Julian

To pronounce it, you just say Juli-O instead of Juli-AN :mrgreen:

Now let's end the OT and let's get back to DWARVES :mrgreen:
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
Scaevola
Bugbear

Postby Chimpman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:31 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently working through my revised dwarven timeline trying to tie in the Kogolor. Giulio, you mentioned previously that you and some others on the Italian boards had been working through dwarven migrations (and possible locations for dwarves - specifically the Kogolor - on Brun. Can you provide us with a synopsis of what you guys came up with?

I'm running into a few issues I want to resolve before posting my revised timeline.
1) What did Mystara look like before the GRoF? Where were the poles and where was the equator? This is being discussed in a separate thread on the Axial tilt, so I'd like to leave that discussion there and out of this thread. It should have some bearing on where the Brunian dwarves start out and where they need to migrate to after the shift.

2) How far did the dwarves on Brun have to migrate and how long would it have taken them? (Need to answer #1 first ;) )

3) What caused the dwarves to split pre-GRoF? My assumption is that whatever the cause, after the GRoF the dwarves would simply be happy to find each other again, however there may be some underlying social and political issues that could rear their heads after the initial crisis is over and the two dwarven societies have gotten past their "honeymoon" period. This is not as pressing to answer for the timeline, but there could be some fun issues to deal with in regards to current Shimmering Lands society. I was looking at a map that Havard drew of the Blackmoor Region when this question hit me. Havard, are any of those kingdoms specifically dwarven, or do you think dwarves are more integrated into other societies during that era?

Also - just a random thought more than a question - I'm starting to think that the differences in Kogolor and Rockhome dwarven languages actually came about shortly before the Shimmering Lands were formed. If the Brunian Kogolor are indeed the originators of contact with the Deep Elves and delving into the infernal arts (and that's the direction I'm currently taking), then the change in their language could be derived from an integration of the infernal language into their own.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Scaevola » Sat May 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Hello all!

I have been extremely busy but now things should get slightly better and I should be able to resume my habitual dose of Mystara.

I am catching up with posts and then I'll get back to you!!!
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
Scaevola
Bugbear

Postby Chimpman » Fri May 29, 2009 7:05 pm

I've modified the Timeline post (marking new items in green). I am now working from the premise that the ancestors of the Kogolor (which now include clan Yardrak) were on Brun, while the others were on Skothar. I still need to fix up the Skotharian portion of the timeline - I'm still working on that.

Another concept I added (more explicitly this time) is that of the Deep Elves and dwarves interacting. Lugett and Kardrof lay the foundation for an adventure path that I've got cooking up for down the road.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Scaevola » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:58 pm

It's looking great, man!!!

Still unable to contribute except for sporadical appearances. I hope to write something about 2300 BC Antalians, though I have to double-check with Zendrolion about the etnographic aspects first.. :D
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
Scaevola
Bugbear

Postby Chimpman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Just a quick bump to say that the military section is coming shortly.

I also wanted to ask Giulio if the work by LoZompatore (some of which can be found on the Vaults at Blackmoor and Pre-Cataclysmic Mystara) was the work previously mentioned regarding post GRoF dwarven migrations?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Looking forward to seeing it! Might give me some ideas....
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Zendrolion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:07 am

Chimpman wrote:I also wanted to ask Giulio if the work by LoZompatore (some of which can be found on the Vaults at Blackmoor and Pre-Cataclysmic Mystara) was the work previously mentioned regarding post GRoF dwarven migrations?

Unfortunately I don't hear news from Giulio since a couple months... I hope he can jump over here soon.

Anyway, AFAIR, LoZompatore's work on the age of Blackmoor and the GRoF didn't include anything like a chart of dwarven migrations. The work did featured the dwarves' place of origin and some comments about them, but I don't recall anything about dwarven migrations besides their travel from Norwold (place of origin, according to HW precataclysmic map) to the Known World (according to canon, dwarves were already in the KW when Kagyar "modified" them; they were probably moving south from their ancestral homeland, suddendly turned very cold).
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5
Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Postby Chimpman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Zendrolion wrote:Unfortunately I don't hear news from Giulio since a couple months... I hope he can jump over here soon.

Anyway, AFAIR, LoZompatore's work on the age of Blackmoor and the GRoF didn't include anything like a chart of dwarven migrations. The work did featured the dwarves' place of origin and some comments about them, but I don't recall anything about dwarven migrations besides their travel from Norwold (place of origin, according to HW precataclysmic map) to the Known World (according to canon, dwarves were already in the KW when Kagyar "modified" them; they were probably moving south from their ancestral homeland, suddendly turned very cold).

Thanks for the info. I see Giulio pop on and off of Yahoo messenger, so he's around, but I haven't spoken to him.

As far as dwarven migrations go I'm leaning toward the vast majority of them coming from the NE Brunian coast in the way you suggest, but I'd like to have a small number of refugees come in from Skothar as well. I'm in the process of revising my original timeline to take both these factors into account. There's also a [Mystara] Blackmoorian Regional Map and Dwarves thread where people more knowledgeable in Blackmoor have been helping out with possible dwarven cultures/nations in that time to draw from.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Zendrolion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Chimpman wrote:As far as dwarven migrations go I'm leaning toward the vast majority of them coming from the NE Brunian coast in the way you suggest, but I'd like to have a small number of refugees come in from Skothar as well.

It's perfectly right to do that, as dwarves are featured in Blackmoor and in DA modules. So, HW set precataclysmic map could not be entirely correct in indicating Norwold only as a dwarven land.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5
Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Postby Chimpman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm moving a portion of a previous discussion into this thread because I think it's relevant here.
Zendrolion wrote:
Seer of Yhog wrote:This is where details haven’t been nailed down, so I’m open to ideas. Is the timeframe cited above official? If so, we can push the founding of the agricultural civilisation to around 1800-1900 BC. I would prefer a “civilisational changeover” starting around BC 2000 or so.

I agree with this take about Mogreth-Nithia chronological relationship. See also my comment on Chimp's quote of the HW set timeline, below.

About the Dawners moving to the IoD around BC 2000, this isn't a canonical date of course, but it'd be difficult to have them arrive later (there are already Antalians in the Northern Reaches, and Nithians south of them). Moreover, if the Ostland landbridge collapses in BC 2000, that date is the last chance for the Dawners to get on the IoD...
And having them coming to the IoD any sooner than BC 2000 would be difficult as well for me, becouse ethnography-wise their cultural-linguistic branch is linked with that of the early Wendarian humans (not the Antalians, who came later), together with that of a Neathar-descended population of early Ethengar: in fact, I had them all parts of the same migration, stopping first in Genalleth, then in Ethengar, and finally crossing the Sea of Dawn to te IoD.

But I'm going off-topic. More about all this when I'll post my revised ethnography. :twisted:

Actually we may have some wiggle room with these dates. I had always intended that the Ostland landbridge would collapse in BC 1750 in the same cataclysm that sinks much of southern Brun. There are a few other events to consider as well:

BC 1800: Kagyar changes the dwarves, making them more resistant to radiance poisoning. He places some remaining unmodified dwarves (the Kogolor) in the Hollow World.

BC 1750: Taymora sinks beneath the waves. The same catastrophe raises sea levels, also sinking the Bridge of Oost

BC 1720: Final catastrophe, Ierendi split into 10 islands.

This gives us use of the land bridge until BC 1750, of course the dwarves would still be there... however their culture is also under decline, and it might be possible that waves of humans drive them from these lands before it sinks. I haven't thought about that before, but we might be able to come up with something that works.

My original intention for the dwarves was that sometime starting around BC 1850, they enter into a civil war - basically an ideological war between the status quo (who act and behave very much like mordrigswerg) and those dwarves who have chosen a new way of life (the Way of Stone). The latter of course are following Dranwyrf's (Denwarf's) teachings, and through him following the immortal Kagyar.

It's possible that such a civil war could destabilize the dwarves enough that foreign invaders could push through their land. It's also possible that the Kagyar dwarves ally with the human invaders against the ancestors of the molder dwarves. The gnomes in the area (without the support of their dwarven allies) would retreat into mountain fortresses, where they would probably mostly be left alone by the invaders. Kagyar's followers will eventually destroy the Gate of Light (located on the land bridge) and abandon using the radiance. Their reward is to be modified by Kagyar, while the losers of the war retreat to dark places and eventually become true mordrigswerg (this deviates from canon slightly - or at least takes some liberties with it, but dwarven canon is quite a mess and often confusing).

The Kogolor he places in the HW may have been a neutral party in the civil war. They weren't evil enough to be left with the modrigswerg, but neither did they earn the reward of Kagyar's blessings (and modifications). Rather than let them die a slow death on the outer world he took pity on them and moved them to the HW.

Anyway, these are all just rough ideas.

Edit: Added the 1720 event as well. It's also possible that a good portion of dwarven society is destroyed in 1750, but that a portion of the bridge still exists until 1720. Thats a 30 year period we can play with as well for migrations (though it may be too late for your purposes).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Scaevola » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:58 am

Zendrolion wrote:
Chimpman wrote:I also wanted to ask Giulio if the work by LoZompatore (some of which can be found on the Vaults at Blackmoor and Pre-Cataclysmic Mystara) was the work previously mentioned regarding post GRoF dwarven migrations?

Unfortunately I don't hear news from Giulio since a couple months... I hope he can jump over here soon.

Hey, which one of you have used "Summon Thyatian Soldier 3"?
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
Scaevola
Bugbear

Postby JohnBiles » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Chimpman wrote:Immortals

Orcus
(Oruguz, The Goat, The Black Prince)
Lord of Demons, Patron of Violence
Level, Alignment, Sphere: 25 (Eternal), CE, Entropy
Symbol: a goat's head with ram horns

Although the lord of undead, Orcus is never worshiped as such in the Shimmering Lands. His faith originated with lycanthropic refugees from Taymora, and slowly infiltrated its way into many prominent merchant houses. As with Angrboda, worship in Orcus swelled circa BC 2400 when desperate dwarves turned to him for deliverance and succor.

Orcus doesn't exist in 2300 BC; he was a Devil Swine in Traladara during his lifetime and Devil Swine don't exist until the 7th century AC.

The Traladarans don't exist at this point, even.
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Postby Chimpman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Scaevola wrote:Hey, which one of you have used "Summon Thyatian Soldier 3"?

Nice to have you back Scaevola!

JohnBiles wrote:Orcus doesn't exist in 2300 BC; he was a Devil Swine in Traladara during his lifetime and Devil Swine don't exist until the 7th century AC.

Hmmm... you are right, of course... nice catch. What entropy immortal could I replace him with do you think? I've been reluctant to use Thanatos just because I think he's generally overused and wanted some new blood here.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby JohnBiles » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Chimpman wrote:
JohnBiles wrote:Orcus doesn't exist in 2300 BC; he was a Devil Swine in Traladara during his lifetime and Devil Swine don't exist until the 7th century AC.

Hmmm... you are right, of course... nice catch. What entropy immortal could I replace him with do you think? I've been reluctant to use Thanatos just because I think he's generally overused and wanted some new blood here.

Thanatos is way overused. The big problem here, though, is that a lot of the immortals don't exist yet...

I would say Demogorgon, but you're already using Demogorgon. ^^;;

Are you looking specifically for an immortal connected to undeath here?
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Hel?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:55 pm

JohnBiles wrote:Are you looking specifically for an immortal connected to undeath here?

No, in fact quite the opposite. I don't want the Shimmering Lands dwarves to focus on undead at all - they shun it. I'm not opposed to using a patron of the undead, but that aspect would be downplayed in the Shimmering Lands. I do want a mean, powerful entropic though. Something appropriately devilish or demonic. Actually as Demogorgon is typically seen as a demon, having something more on the lawful/devil side might be a bonus. I know those distinctions typically aren't made on Mystara, but it would give me something more to play with. Of course Zugzul might also fill that role, but he is an Energy immortal as opposed to an Entropic.

EDIT:
Another thought - these demonic patrons would be some of the same patrons that the Dark Elves (of Gaz 7) took for their own, since the dwarves basically learn of the dark worship from these elves.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

PreviousNext

Return to 2300 BC