[Taymora] Sijaru and Rhaetos' Mantle

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

[Taymora] Sijaru and Rhaetos' Mantle

Postby Chimpman » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Here is a snippet from the Vampire Queens of Taymora article in Issue #12 of Threshold, regarding some of the history of the Ninth Child of Tayma, Sijaru:

After Ghaeranatos’ attack, Sijaru’s focus changed. She and her acolytes often crept behind enemy lines to kill soldiers and assassinate the night dragon’s lieutenants and generals. When Kikanari led the second exodus from Uhaara, Sijaru helped clear the way for them. At the battle of Nimidi’s Maw, with Padihru distracting the pursuing army, Sijara snuck behind enemy lines and slew the night dragon Rhaetos, son of Ghaeranatos. As a trophy, she took the night dragon’s wings and crafted them into a flowing robe of darkness known as Rhaetos’ Mantle

This excerpt triggered some ideas from Robin who was proofreading the article at the time:

Robin wrote:Robe of darkness; It would be nice that this item be influencing not only creating almost liquid darkness. Somewhat like in the Huntsman 2nd movie where the queen uses darkened tendrils to attack. Thus it would reflect the evil Night dragon;s powers. Level draining, darkness, blindness, weakness could also be additional powers.
It even could be created to be a vessel to store actual Shadows under control of the wearer..

Just some references you might find usedul in that very interesting idea
http://wallsbase.net/wp-content/uploads ... lpaper.jpg

http://www.cox7.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... Winter.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvCgVR0gIM
look from 2;18
ot just go to the movie, it will be very very usefull

according to huntsmen 1 it could be transformed into a large flock of crows or raven,with a activity radius of several miles, or creating several black glass golems/ crystal statues i think
according to huntsmen2, 5 to 10 semisentient dark tentacles with a 50'range.but with immense strength, capable of tossing armored fighters several feet away or damaged greatly (3d8 minimum/tentacle i would say) under control of the wearer, but also acting on its own in line with the wearer. attack means also those the wearer could not see. THAC0..hmmm...6 or 7 I think
in both it could hide itself as a gold feathered cloak with inside darkness

What powers could we give to this item? Does anyone have ideas?
Last edited by Chimpman on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [Taymora] Sijaru and Raetos' Mantle

Postby RobJN » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:14 pm

Is control over shadows in an undead-ish liege/pawn type of relationship on the list of Things The Robe Does?

How about spontaneous generation of monstrous shadows from ..er.. normal shadows and/or darkness?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Taymora] Sijaru and Rhaetos' Mantle

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:13 am

I definitely like feelings that Robin's ideas about the mantle evoke (it's tough to get the image of Charlize Therone playing this role out of my mind after that suggestion). I think I would replace all of the crow imagery with bat imagery instead though... as the Mantle would have been crafted from dragon wings rather than from something with feathers. ... and we are talking about vampires, of course :twisted:

RobJN wrote:Is control over shadows in an undead-ish liege/pawn type of relationship on the list of Things The Robe Does?

This kind of power is actually listed as the special ability of nosferatu/vampires of Sijaru's line. It may be what gave her an edge when battling the night dragon Rhaetos in the first place. The Mantle could certainly boost those powers, making Sijaru even more dangerous than she normally would be.

RobJN wrote:How about spontaneous generation of monstrous shadows from ..er.. normal shadows and/or darkness?

Yes - this could be a possibility. While the normal power of this vampiric line might grant control over normal (humanoid) shadows, perhaps the Mantle extends that to monstrous (and more powerful) versions of those creatures.

Going back to the wing origin of the Mantle we could also give it some minor powers associated with dragons (and their wings)
  • Flight is probably something that the Mantle would grant, stretching out like a pair of giant bat wings from the wearer's shoulders.
  • Perhaps the Mantle is capable of producing a buffeting attack, or creating a vortex of "shadow and wind". Perhaps such shadowy winds have some minor intelligence of their own (that could be akin to the tendril attacks of the Huntsman's Evil Queen that Robin mentions above)
  • Perhaps by beating the wings the shadow vortex could actually coalesce into a portal to the Shadow Plane. That would allow travel to that dimension for the wearer and anyone with her inside of the vortex when it forms.

I also kind of like the notion that the Mantle may slowly be fusing with its owner, almost grafting itself to her back like a pair of folded wings. Maybe Sijaru keeps the mantle draped over her body most of the time so that no one ever sees the shadowy/draconic transformation that her body is undergoing.
Last edited by Chimpman on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:38 am

I have notes in one of the Handmaidens' files about shadowed rainments: gloves, boots, a cloak and a sash, each that grant minor shadow-based abilities. In reality they are all part of a whole, which, when all worn together, sets the wheels in motion to free some sort of shadow-y demon... I think I got the idea from one or another of the Red Steel booklets....

Could these items be somehow related to Rhaetos' Mantle...? :twisted:
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 pm

You know, the " :twisted: " you put at the end of your question makes it sound sort of rhetorical ;)

That also raises the question of what Sijaru's ultimate fate might be. While there are a few of Tayma's original daughters that I know make it to the modern era (Lovanara is probably one, Jadikira - in some shape or form, and Yidadnh another - yes, I have some plans for her...) I always assumed that several more would be destroyed throughout the following centuries and millennia.

Sijaru would definitely have a very big target on her back after managing to kill one of the night dragons, and I don't suppose she'll survive much past the fall of Taymora (if she makes it that far).

This kind of idea is also in line with Seer's plot for Jadikira, who has placed pieces of her "soul" in various magical items and is awaiting for one of her descendants to bring them all together again. Doing so would allow Jadikira to possess her descendant's body. Perhaps Sijaru attempted to do something similar with Rhaetos' Mantle. Or perhaps the "shadowy demon" inhabiting the magical items is Rhaetos himself. Neither option would be good for anyone wearing the set of magical clothing.

So... is there anything else you can tell me about these shadowed raiments that the Handmaidens come across? How far back does their story go?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:31 pm

Chimpman wrote:So... is there anything else you can tell me about these shadowed raiments that the Handmaidens come across? How far back does their story go?

I don't have much more than the notes for what each "piece" does. Would one of the Handmaidens find them in Krakatos? Or perhaps they are a parting 'gift' from their dealings with the Troll Queen...

Nothing written that far ahead, so right now it's just vague ideas, stirred up by all this talk of night dragons (which -- sorry AD&D -- are just one more reason I like Basic so much better)
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Return to 2300 BC