Mogreth

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Re: Mogreth

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Those are all really good ideas - consider them stolen for the campaigning section. I would probably place the lost city somewhere east of the Hinterlands - probably across from the Pearl Islands, just to spread out the fun.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:40 pm

I've been watching Sparticus: Blood and Sand on Netflix lately and it's gotten me thinking about Mogreth's arena (and in general the role that gladiatorial games play in that society). Would the concept of gladiators exist in Mogrethian society or are the displays at the arena more spectacle than game?

If gladiators do exist, are there schools to train them (and masters dedicated to doing so), or is this kind of concept best left to Thyatis?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Hmmmm....I don't think gladiators would exist in the formal sense (with schools and such), as most of the contestants were considered disposable entertainment. However, in my fiction writeup I did make reference to a Champion, who had died the previous year and was due to be replaced. He could be considered a prize fighter of sorts - in the sense that he fought (voluntarily) regularly, was a celebrity, and worked the crowds. he would have competed for a purse (and there would be betting on that, too), and kept fighting until he was too injured to continue, he retired, or he died. He probably would have travelled around the empire to fight at special events, too ("Look! The Champion of Isshum will be competing at tomorrow's event. Let's buy some tickets; that's sure to be good!").

As the arena dated from Carnifex times, there would definitely have been probably rules governing how someone could become a Champion, as that would be considered an office (and therefore something that needed to be controlled). So at the end of the day I'm on the fence. The position of Champion would be considered a profession, and would certainly be limited only to True Peoples of a certain social class - this is the start of a character sub-class.

This requires more thinking...

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:45 am

I guess it's really going to depend on why Mogrethians go to the arena and what they expect to see when they get there. If what they expect are contests of strength and skill, then it's going to make a lot more sense to have established "schools" that would train gladiators for the fights. On the other hand, if they are going to watch a spectacle of blood, destruction, and displayed magical might, then I might expect something different. In fact I kind of like the idea of going with different, since we get "standard" arenas and gladiators in Thyatis.

What about instead of schools, Mogrethians have ranches or breeding facilities where wizards and priests work on creating (or summoning) the most horrific monsters possible for display. They may even set such facilities up as zoos of a sort, where citizens can come in and browse through the next batch of monsters destined for the pits. It could be a good way to drum up business and get folks excited about betting on their favorite deadly creatures.

I could also imagine that certain individuals would try to make a living fighting such creatures. Slaves seem like too much of a commodity to waste in the arena (unless they are overly troublesome in some way), so I don't think your standard Mogrethian gladiator would be a slave. I like the idea that they are free (as much as one can be free in Mogreth) and either down on their luck or glory seekers. In fact I could see the sorcerer kings hiring such folks during their "off hours". It might be a sign of prestige to have a gladiator in your employ (kind of like Jabba the Hut hiring Boba Fett on retainer).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Chimpman wrote:On the other hand, if they are going to watch a spectacle of blood, destruction, and displayed magical might, then I might expect something different. In fact I kind of like the idea of going with different, since we get "standard" arenas and gladiators in Thyatis.

Mogreth definitely goes for the “different” model of arena fighting. It’s a blood-sport to entertain the masses.

Chimpman wrote:What about instead of schools, Mogrethians have ranches or breeding facilities where wizards and priests work on creating (or summoning) the most horrific monsters possible for display. They may even set such facilities up as zoos of a sort, where citizens can come in and browse through the next batch of monsters destined for the pits. It could be a good way to drum up business and get folks excited about betting on their favorite deadly creatures.

I like that idea! The Great Bestiary would be right next to (or part of) the Arena of Isshum, but lesser arenas in other major settlements would have similar facilities. Arenas out in the country have to make do with whatever can be caught, or bought from larger towns/cities. Needless to say, the most horrific/fantastic creatures are in Isshum. Some choice slaves might also be crossbred with beasts to create monsters, too.

Chimpman wrote:I could also imagine that certain individuals would try to make a living fighting such creatures. Slaves seem like too much of a commodity to waste in the arena (unless they are overly troublesome in some way), so I don't think your standard Mogrethian gladiator would be a slave. I like the idea that they are free (as much as one can be free in Mogreth) and either down on their luck or glory seekers. In fact I could see the sorcerer kings hiring such folks during their "off hours". It might be a sign of prestige to have a gladiator in your employ (kind of like Jabba the Hut hiring Boba Fett on retainer).

You’re right – most slaves who end up in the arena are either too strong-willed to be broken, they displeased their master in some way, or said master has grown tired of them (few slaves are sold second-hand). So, most gladiators/champions would be free (i.e., one of the True (scaled) Peoples). Building on my earlier post, and your ideas here, there are two ways to become a Champion.

1. As a glory hound:

The Champion is either a warrior already (or fancies himself to be one) or he seeks out a teacher to show him the ropes. If he has enough money, he could pay for his training and present himself as a Lone Champion. In that case, he volunteers to enter matches against slaves and/or monsters, and he can win a purse. The arena owner benefits because you never know what you’ll get – the audience will be surprised either way, and generally more tickets get sold (unless there’s a match with a veteran “patroned” Champion).

If the ambitious tough lacks money, he can apply to a sorcerer king for patronage. He would be assessed by a veteran Champion already employed by the sorcerer king, and if deemed acceptable would be taken on. A contract is signed, training commences, and the new “patroned” Champion is entered into matches – he has no choice when he fights, and his master takes the bulk of any prize money up for grabs. After the term of service ends (or he buys himself out), the Champion can become a Loner, or if he’s really good the sorcerer king might offer a better contract – you’re right that there should be prestige in employing personal Champions (and the world of the upper classes revolves around rank and prestige).

The most lucrative deals might be offered to high-level Mogrethian adventurers (yes, they do exist), as they would be sure to draw crowds and bring prestige to their temporary employer. Tuurash and Khalgoth probably do this a lot, and their patronage would be nothing to sneeze at.

2. Out of desperation:

The process works pretty much the same way, except that the Champion is down on his luck (i.e., dishonourable discharge, unemployable, etc.) and needs the money and/or patronage. If offered terms, they will be nowhere near as favourable, but it would be better than unemployment or slavery (but not much). Still, if he survives and puts on a good show, he could rise in the esteem of his master. Some truly legendary Champions started out as disgraced soldiers and the like.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:22 pm

I really like this new vision of what a Mogrethian gladiator is. I think it needs a Mogreth specific name.

...<wanders off to check the Carnifex language file>

Based on the above, I'd say some combination of these words might work.

an (prefix) - will (future tense of following verb)
chaggoth - to succeed, to win
hresh (plural hresha) - person, soldier
mwathliss - glory

Chaggothresh
Chaggomwathliss
Chaggathliss
Chaggothliss
Mwathresh
???
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Someone else has braved the dictionary - nice! Definitely "hresh" (as warrior) should be in the name. "Gladiator" (swordsman) derives from the gladius, but I think the Carnifex would have coined their term with a different logic in mind. Since, for them, the arena was a source of entertainment, they would probably think of a champion as a player, a contestant, or a performer of some kind - definitely there should be a game element to it. So, perhaps they would call the Champion a "play-warrior", or a "games-warrior" (because it was just a game for them).

Thoughts?

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Someone else has braved the dictionary - nice! Definitely "hresh" (as warrior) should be in the name. "Gladiator" (swordsman) derives from the gladius, but I think the Carnifex would have coined their term with a different logic in mind. Since, for them, the arena was a source of entertainment, they would probably think of a champion as a player, a contestant, or a performer of some kind - definitely there should be a game element to it. So, perhaps they would call the Champion a "play-warrior", or a "games-warrior" (because it was just a game for them).

Thoughts?

Ohhh... You can probably tell I was coming from the perspective of a Mogrethian rather than from a Carnifex... but I think you're right. If these Mogrethian gladiators have been around since the time of the Old Kings, it makes more sense to name them from that perspective. Unfortunately I can't find any carnifex words for either of those things, so I'm at a loss.

Urzekhresh would be a direct translation of gladiator, but I like the concept of game pieces being moved across a playing board (ie the sands of the arena).

Okhamhresh might be close, but it's got more connotation of slave warrior, so I don't think that works.

Perhamhresh might be even closer. A warrior that serves and obeys (as a game piece moved across the field), but maybe still not quite right.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:17 pm

I think I may have to invent a few more words.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:02 am

Having read all of the Mogreth section I am more than inspired to take a Carnifex/Mogreth idea into Spelljammer as a newly expanding Empire reaching out for other spheres.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 am

You might want to check out Pillarspace (one of John's creations) - there may be others, too. That could give you some ideas.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:35 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:You might want to check out Pillarspace (one of John's creations) - there may be others, too. That could give you some ideas.

I'm pretty sure there are other articles (older) out on the Vaults as well. I've also got everything packaged up as a pdf file which you can download if you follow the Exiles Campaign link in my signature. The basic premise of the Exiles Campaign setting was to set up a series of spheres populated by cultures exiled from Mystaraspace (Carnifex, Blackmoorians, and finally Nithians).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Azaghal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Seer of Yhog wrote:You might want to check out Pillarspace (one of John's creations) - there may be others, too. That could give you some ideas.

I'm pretty sure there are other articles (older) out on the Vaults as well. I've also got everything packaged up as a pdf file which you can download if you follow the Exiles Campaign link in my signature. The basic premise of the Exiles Campaign setting was to set up a series of spheres populated by cultures exiled from Mystaraspace (Carnifex, Blackmoorians, and finally Nithians).

I've been surfing the Vaults already so I'll go get the pdf. Thanks guys.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Azaghal wrote:
Chimpman wrote:

If you've got ideas I'd love to chat about them... probably not in this thread, but maybe we could start one up over in the Spelljammer forum.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Azaghal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Azaghal wrote:
Chimpman wrote:

If you've got ideas I'd love to chat about them... probably not in this thread, but maybe we could start one up over in the Spelljammer forum.

Let me get some reading in so I have a better plan where I'm going, this thread just struck me as having such potential for some SJ badguys in a way kinda like the Vodani.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:08 pm

A Visit

The door shuddered in its frame, and a voice cried from without, “Open up, in the name of the First!”

Everyone at the table jumped. Uthar and his wife exchanged a knowing look, and she immediately bustled the children out of the room, while her husband went to the door. Standing in front of him was a burly troglodyte, bearing the insignia of the local garrison and a crest on his helmet. A minor officer, noted Uthar, who could perhaps be bribed. Behind him were a motley group of common troglodyte and human soldiers – the latter no doubt being conscripts – and a tall armoured lizard man with richly engraved armour and a helmet whose crest had been partially removed. That made Uthar’s eyebrows rise slightly – a disgraced noble, who had probably been spared the White Rod in exchange for being posted here. All this passed through Uthar’s mind in a second, while he bowed slightly and greeted the troglodyte courteously. The troglodyte did not extend the same to him.

“Uthar the Smith of Endol,” the troglodyte began without ceremony, “it has been said that you are making weapons for the resistance. We will search your house now. Stand aside.”

Uthar stepped aside as the soldiers filed in and began ransacking his house. His face remained impassive as he watched them open cupboards and chests, emptying their contents onto the floor and poking about for secret compartments. Others examined the walls and floors carefully, checking for secret doors. He wondered who the informant was. No matter how small the village, there was always someone eager to gain the lizards’ favour. He was confident that the soldiers would not find what they were looking for, but he resolved to find out who the traitor was.

While the house was being turned over, the lizard man officer stepped inside, and surveyed the work for a moment, before stalking over to Uthar. “You are not afraid that we will find something, human,” he asked.

“No, my lord. I’ve nothing to hide,” said Uthar, hoping that the lizard man cared enough about his lost status to appreciate the courtesy. The pupils of the lizard man’s eyes dilated slightly. Yes, thought Uthar, I’ve found your soft spot.

“That is good,” said the lizard man, “The laws of our empire rest lightly on those who are loyal. Even on your kind.” He turned back to survey the work, and spoke again – this time, to Uthar’s surprise, in his own tongue – without looking at him, “Our records show that your eldest son will soon be 16.”

“Yes, my lord. I hope that Stepan will take up my trade.”

“So he should. But you are aware of your people’s obligation to us, as your protectors. He must report to the garrison on his 16th year, and provide the empire with four years of military service. I do not need to tell you, in these unsettled times, where your son will likely be posted.”

Uthar clenched his fists, but said nothing. Everyone in the district knew that the resistance worked closely with the free peoples of the upper Akayan Valley, who had been mounting increasingly brave assaults against the Mogrethians in recent months. This meant more losses in battle, which the lizards were increasingly replacing with local conscripts. It was hard for many families, knowing that their sons (or daughters, if they had none) were being forced to fight their own kin.

“I have heard that your son is very intelligent,” the lizard man continued, “He could go far in your family’s trade, but he could also earn a position in the Administration.” He paused, and turned to look at Uthar meaningfully.

“I’m listening, my lord.”

“In fact, were he to apply, I am sure he would be accepted, and certain…investigations…would be waived. He comes from a good, loyal family, after all. A position in the Administration provides a good salary, and there are other benefits, besides. For those such as yourselves, it is something worth considering. Would you agree?”

The conversation was interrupted by the arrival of the troglodyte officer, who made a low bow. “My lord, we have searched the house and found nothing,” he growled.

“Very well, vrugzaressh. Take your men outside. I will join you shortly.” The troglodyte saluted and bellowed to the others to follow him. Within moments Uthar stood alone with the lizard man.

Uthar licked his lips. Positions for humans in the Administration were extremely rare, and in addition to good pay, the families of human officials enjoyed privileges unknown to most of the population. They were allowed to travel, to work in Mogreth for pay, and some with strong magical talent were even allowed to study, rather than be taken away. But if the lizards were ever thrown out, he and his family would be among the first ones to be executed as collaborators. Assassination was also a possibility. It had happened in other villages. “You’re making a generous offer, my lord, if I understand you correctly.”

“Indeed. All I require from you is a little information about a meeting that took place four nights ago on the dock. Five people were there, and certain goods were seen to change hands. I need the remaining four names. But you do not have to make a decision now. Your son turns 16 in four days. I shall be at the garrison.”

Uthar watched the lizard man leave, and sank into his chair.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:50 pm

:o I like the way these lizards think. :twisted:
So the message is basically, we know you work for the resistance and we're giving you a choice. Ally your family more closely with Mogreth or send you son to the front lines (and I'm sure that in 4 years time there will be plenty of opportunities for accidents to happen as well as the normal hazards that accompany military service).

And thus Mogreth gains a valued resource (a fresh, intelligent, young mind - despite the fact that it's mammalian) and at the same time creates a new target for the resistance to focus their hatred on (not to mention removing 4-5 prominent figures from the movement). Talk about your catch 22...

Now for the questions:
1) I assume that Endol is a city/town/village - probably on the NW borderlands. Where would that be located (and would it be large enough to show on the map)?

2) Where is the Akayan Valley located?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:53 pm

Chimpman wrote:So the message is basically, we know you work for the resistance and we're giving you a choice. Ally your family more closely with Mogreth or send you son to the front lines (and I'm sure that in 4 years time there will be plenty of opportunities for accidents to happen as well as the normal hazards that accompany military service).

Yep! After a decade or so of ruling the locals, the military "aides" (read: governors) of the puppet states soon learned enough about human psychology to figure out how to manipulate them. They know the humans aren't beasts waiting to be exploited (as many in Isshum think), but potentially dangerous rivals to be deflected by having them fight amongst themselves, buying them off, or both. To a cynic, the lizard man captain in the vignette has gone native. ;)

Chimpman wrote:And thus Mogreth gains a valued resource (a fresh, intelligent, young mind - despite the fact that it's mammalian) and at the same time creates a new target for the resistance to focus their hatred on (not to mention removing 4-5 prominent figures from the movement). Talk about your catch 22...

When the Mogrethians moved in, the first regional commanders tried to crush the locals en masse, as per usual policy. When that didn't work, and it proved impossible to enslave everyone (that would have forced the army to establish a new buffer zone, even further out, while they pacified and settled the new region), one commander decided to manage local rivalries and co-opt the existing leadership. As a result, chieftains who sided with Mogreth became kings of puppet states, "advised" by Mogrethian aides. This created a someone for the locals to hate (the king and his human soldiers) whenever local policies (dictated by Isshum) got to be too much. This created a whole class of humans who became dependent on Mogreth for their power, and their survival (because everyone knows who props them up). So, whenever the Advisor "suggests" that a king do something, it gets done, but it's presented as the king's own decision. Sometimes it is the king's decision, sometimes not, but no one can tell, and it doesn't do to ask too many questions.

A side benefit of this new policy is that the opponents of the chosen faction, also eager for a slice of the pie, have proven themselves willing to rat out their countrymen in exchange for money, political favours, etc (because everyone in the region is so poor that even a pocketful of coin can buy people's loyalty). So, in some ways the petty dominions of the northwest almost police themselves, and the Mogrethians often simply step in to reward whoever is left standing - until the winners killed by their rivals. Repeat cycle.

Sometimes (if they receive a hot tip from one of their many informants, or just because they feel like it) the Mogrethians will conduct a crackdown on a town or village (as in the vignette) in order to root out rebels and their sympathisers. This instills fear in the rest of the population, and encourages another wave of ratting out the neighbours, etc. Those caught in the web are often blackmailed into becoming dupes, themselves. Or they get hauled away, never to be seen again.

The immediate family of anyone convicted of being a rebel is usually sent to Mogreth - there's incentive to be loyal! Despite the hardships, the locals know that at least they're not slaves - on paper, at least.

Chimpman wrote:1) I assume that Endol is a city/town/village - probably on the NW borderlands. Where would that be located (and would it be large enough to show on the map)?

Endol is a village of about 200-250 people, on the river border of Marasco (the middle realm). As the Akayan River is deep and fast flowing, it's used by small riverboats, so there's a sizeable dock. There is also a garrison of around 70 Mogrethian soldiers posted here, too. I think it might be too small to put on the map, though.

Chimpman wrote:2) Where is the Akayan Valley located?

That's the river valley to the north of the occupied lands. The river didn't have a name (the Issus is sourced in the mountains to the south, near Teshos), so I devised one. Akayan is Hemkalss for "northwest" (akha-yian in old Carnifex).

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Some crunch....

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:44 pm

V’rugh, draft

Armour Class: 4
Hit Dice: 7
Move: 90’ (30’)
Attacks: 1 bite or 1 tail whip or 1 trample
Damage: 3d6 or 1d6 + stun or 2d6
No. Appearing: 1 (1d6)
Save As: F 7
Morale: 8
Intelligence: 2
Treasure Type: None
Alignment: Neutral
XP Value: 450
Barding Multiplier: x4

V’rugh, riding

Armour Class: 6
Hit Dice: 4
Move: 120’ (40’)
Attacks: 1 bite or 1 tail whip
Damage: 2d6 or 1d4 + stun
No. Appearing: 1 (1d8)
Save As: F 4
Morale: 8
Intelligence: 3
Treasure Type: None
Alignment: Neutral
XP Value: 75
Barding Multiplier: x2

Thousands of years before the Great Rain of Fire, the Carnifex bred many different creatures to serve them. Some, such as the troglodytes, were sentient, reasoning life forms in their own right, but others were little more than animals. In their drive to produce a suitable beast of burden, the Carnifex created the V’rugh, an incredibly strong and hard working beast, but its savage nature required it to be guided all the time by troglodyte handlers (V’rughs dislike the scent of lizard men). The original stock was drawn from carnosaurs found in remote regions of Davania, but selective breeding produced a ten-ton, 80 foot long monster that resembled a long-necked Tyrannosaurus Rex with no forearms. They were used as draft animals and troop transports, but the largest specimens served as mobile weapons platforms. The V’rugh was soon found in all the Carnifex territories.

The harsher environment of the region around Mogreth, however, meant that there wasn't enough food to sustain such a huge creature. In the centuries before the Great Rain of Fire, the Carnifex bred their V’rughs down in size, but they couldn't improve their demeanour.

Draft V'rughs are Mogreth’s primary beast of burden. They weigh roughly 5 tons, measure 30 feet long from snout to tail and closely resemble a carnosaur, but lack forelegs. They are used extensively to pull wagons, or carry up to 9000 cn in goods (with no movement penalty – 18000 cn at halved movement) on platforms strapped on to their backs and sides. They are also used to till the fields where there are insufficient slaves and oxen. On occasion, well-trained (and armoured) V'rughs are used to ferry large groups of soldiers to and from battlefields, and giant specimens have been used as mobile weapons platforms - a terrifying sight.

Draft V’rughs must be controlled by a skilled handler at all times. Otherwise, they are liable to wander off and may (if hungry) try to devour anything man-sized or smaller they come across. Draft V’rughs will fight only if goaded into doing so by their handlers; although they will fight in self-defence. The most common attacks are its vicious bite and its tail whip – for the latter attack a victim must save vs. Paralysis or be bowled over and stunned for 1d6 rounds. Draft V’rughs may also be driven to trample targets more than 20 feet away. Victims must save vs. Death Ray in order to get out of the way.

Riding V'rughs were developed during the early years of the Second Empire. Equivalent in size to a draft horse, and weighing one ton, the riding V’rugh can carry a man-sized rider, plus 3000 cn in baggage, with no movement penalty (up to 6000 cn at half movement rate). While its smaller size makes it easier to control, the riding V’rugh still possesses the unpredictable disposition of its larger cousin. If attacked, a riding V’rugh can defend itself by biting, or whipping with its tail. Anyone hit by a whipping attack must save vs. Paralysis or be bowled over and stunned for 1d6 rounds.

V’rughs of both varieties are common in Mogreth, but they can also be found in the Frontier (abandoned creatures and their offspring), the Corsair Isles, and in the lands that will become Darokin. Populations outside of Mogreth survived into the post-BC 1700 period, and their even smaller descendants still exist in the interior forests and hills of Hattias, Carytion, the hilly country north of Selenica, and the border regions with Karameikos (Reedle, Armstead, et al).

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:03 pm

Cool write-up. I love the fact that they have no front limbs... it's a little weird and eerie, and very much in line with being the product of Carnifex sensibilities. I'll make sure I include them in the next revision of the Overview doc!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

This is your trusty steed in Mogreth...

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:36 am

It's been a while since I've drawn people or critters, but here is a sketch of a riding V'rugh:

I may ink this in later.

[EDIT: For some reason his butt got cut off - here's a link to the full image]

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:41 pm

As we speak I'm porting my accumulated posts and jottings into a word file, for eventual conversion into a formal Gaz. I'll still be posting things here, but there will come a time when the "public" section ends. If you want to learn the secrets of Mogreth (magic items, character classes/races, just what those Tablets of Irrub are about, play the adventure paths, etc), you'll have to download and read the book.

Yes, I'm a b*****d that way. :twisted:

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Love the illustration Geoff! We need more of that stuff :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Havard wrote:Love the illustration Geoff! We need more of that stuff :)

I agree! It looks like the beast was too large to fit on a single page. Did the scan get cut off, or is that the way it was drawn?

Seer of Yhog wrote:As we speak I'm porting my accumulated posts and jottings into a word file, for eventual conversion into a formal Gaz. I'll still be posting things here, but there will come a time when the "public" section ends. If you want to learn the secrets of Mogreth (magic items, character classes/races, just what those Tablets of Irrub are about, play the adventure paths, etc), you'll have to download and read the book.

Uhg... this reminds me... Now that the Overview Doc is (mostly) done, I can switch back over to finishing up the Shimmering Lands.

Hey, we have the potential for 2 new Mystara 2300 BC Gazs in 2011!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Havard wrote:Love the illustration Geoff! We need more of that stuff :)

I agree! It looks like the beast was too large to fit on a single page. Did the scan get cut off, or is that the way it was drawn?

No - it was a full image, but I think the image size parameters cut it off. I've added a link in the edit at the bottom to view him in all his glory.

Chimpman wrote:Uhg... this reminds me... Now that the Overview Doc is (mostly) done, I can switch back over to finishing up the Shimmering Lands.

Hey, we have the potential for 2 new Mystara 2300 BC Gazs in 2011!

That's definitely something worth aiming for. I'm using the heading format Old Dawg had for the FGaz series, but there's nothing saying we need to stick with that. I'd like to use the Feinen clone font, tho'

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to 2300 BC