[City] Building Urzud

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Re: [Mystara 2300 BC] Building Urzud

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu May 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Looking good!
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri May 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Urzud just made an appearance in my blog: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... kmoor.html

:)

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Fri May 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Woot! I'm blog-worthy! :lol:

Seriously, good comments. To be honest I never thought about "mining" the DA covers for potential ideas, but I like the fact that you brought up the smaller earthshaker on the cover of DA4. Maybe the smaller versions were more common, and used for other menial tasks within the border of the nation.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri May 14, 2010 5:32 pm

I have plans for the warforged to be "evolved' models of Blackmoor automatons. Whether sentience was developed by accident or design has yet to be determined.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Fri May 14, 2010 5:52 pm

RobJN wrote:I have plans for the warforged to be "evolved' models of Blackmoor automatons. Whether sentience was developed by accident or design has yet to be determined.

I'm glad you brought this up, because honestly I wasn't even thinking warforged in Urzud, but you know, it makes sense that there would have been some. They may throw their plight in with the lightning zombies, or we could have an entirely new faction operating within the city. I really like the way this is shaping up.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri May 14, 2010 9:58 pm

Chimpman wrote:This is some pretty cool imagery! I don't remember these discussions from way back - maybe before I joined... or I just wasn't paying attention to Skothar.

Seer of Yhog wrote:Perhaps we could borrow a bit from that idea and consider whether the inhabitants of Urzud are looking for "power water" or "flowing fire" to power some of the remaining ancient machines. Perhaps, as well, there might be one of two working vehicles (treat as a siege engine or something similar), originally used to help defend the complex, that the critters are holding back for the right time.

I like these ideas.
Havard wrote:I like it, but rather than a liquid, I suggest that the Blackmoorians used Crystals in which they stored energy to power their devices.

Hmmm... maybe something that would tie in with Soul Crystals?

Okay, I've kept away from a lot of the 2300 material (mostly because my nose has been buried in Thorn's Chronicle...) but I had to chime in with an agreement on the whole crystals-as-batteries idea. I sort of have that going in the Blackmoor/Mystara of Thorn's Chronicle:

Thorn's Chronicle wrote:“Burns such as these do not heal in…” Ana’s voice trailed off, her blue eyes widening as she watched.

“How…?”

“It is our nature. With a little help,” the girl said, lifting the hilt of her sword. The black stone set on the pommel glimmered slightly, pinpoints of purplish light drifting away from the veinwork within, dissolving into the darkness.

... Gilliam and Varis both finally hauled the shaking, sweating Ana over to Aurora, and the girl slipped further into her trance, the purplish light pulsing faster, as if mimicking a steadily laboring heartbeat.

After only ten minutes by the girl’s side, Ana could stand, and after another ten she walked without the aid of her scythe.

“See?” Gilliam said, smiling back at her. “It’s not so bad, is it?”

“I know what those black stones contain. Do you not recognize them from Korizegy’s keep?”

Gilliam kept smiling. “Sort of poetic, don’t you think, her using a demon to protect you from whatever it is they’ve done to the land?”

“It makes her no worse than them,” Ana said.

“The fate we bestow upon them is far more merciful than that which awaits us at their hands,” Aurora murmured. It was only in the translation’s echo that we were able to catch all of her words, so softly did she speak.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Sat May 15, 2010 1:30 am

Chimpman wrote: honestly I wasn't even thinking warforged in Urzud, but you know, it makes sense that there would have been some. They may throw their plight in with the lightning zombies, or we could have an entirely new faction operating within the city. I really like the way this is shaping up.

Perhaps the warforged were simply the newest line of automatons to come out of Blackmoor R&D? Mayhap the chain reaction that created lightning zombies also infused the warforged with their "souls" -- perhaps by burning the souls of the vaporized into the magitech bodies?

Just an idea the leapt out of my head. They tend to do that every now and then.... :geek:

I am intrigued with the mention of the sacred Black Hawk, as well as Andahar's onyx. What held it aloft, and what makes the stone so special?
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Mon May 24, 2010 12:13 am

Can't believe I let these questions slip by me!
RobJN wrote:Perhaps the warforged were simply the newest line of automatons to come out of Blackmoor R&D? Mayhap the chain reaction that created lightning zombies also infused the warforged with their "souls" -- perhaps by burning the souls of the vaporized into the magitech bodies?

I really like this idea! If the warforged "obtained" life during the GRoF, they could have represented a problem for any surviving Blackmoorians remaining in the city - especially if their new personalities clashed with the beliefs of their old masters. Perhaps they even saw the Blackmoorians as slave masters. In this case the warforged might be able to openly remain in the city even after the beastmen take it over. Perhaps the warforged even formed alliances with the beastmen in order to overthrow their common enemy - Blackmoor.

On the other hand if the warforged were infused with existent personalities, they might behave differently. In this case they might volunteer to stay in the city and defend it from oncoming beastmen hordes while the surviving Blackmoorian leave the city and attempt to find a more hospitable climate where they might actually have some chance of survival. In this case the warforged in the city might remain as hidden enemies of the beastmen.

Both options have possibilities... I'm not sure which I prefer at the moment.

RobJN wrote:I am intrigued with the mention of the sacred Black Hawk, as well as Andahar's onyx. What held it aloft, and what makes the stone so special?

These are exactly the kinds of questions we have to answer :mrgreen: . Seriously at the moment I have no idea, but I think the answers to such questions might become important topics when delving into the history as well as adventuring opportunities in the city of Urzud.

I've updated the
city map for those that are interested. It's pretty close to being completed at this point. I need to fill in some of the minor roadways, and perhaps spruce up the outer city with a few random fortresses.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Mon May 31, 2010 8:26 pm

OldDawg wrote:FWIW, the Borean river confluence on the KW Map should map to about 68N latitude (yeah, Matlab) under the AVP=NP assumption. For LoZo's map, consider that estimate +/-3 degrees. Urzud should be within a few degrees of that, depending on the spot. If you equate NP with OW/HW opening (I don't necessarily assume this), then this area was well beyond the AM region, which should be entirely contained within the AVP (or KW).

For additional points of comparison, the modern southern boundary of Borea is approx. 75N, the mouth of the Borean River is 51N (simple rotation estimate only), the Cradle is 60N, the Hills of Parthenal region is about 75N, the Black Mountains hit the sea at 64N, the northernmost (modern) Norwold mountains are 60N, Blackmoor City is 45N,

Gaz 10 has a couple of nice maps that I haven't seen in a while (and totally forgot about) with regards to humanoid migrations. Lo and behold one of them has the Borean valley marked with a label of "Blackmoor", and has beastmen migrations moving there in BC 2400. We know this is not Blackmoor city... however from a beastman perspective this would be the origin of all of the Blackmoorian attacks upon their people. Since the beastmen also migrate to this location in BC 2400, I'm considering this to be the official location for Urzud.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Chimpman wrote:Lo and behold one of them has the Borean valley marked with a label of "Blackmoor", and has beastmen migrations moving there in BC 2400. We know this is not Blackmoor city... however from a beastman perspective this would be the origin of all of the Blackmoorian attacks upon their people. Since the beastmen also migrate to this location in BC 2400, I'm considering this to be the official location for Urzud.

This was the same conclusion I came to in interpreting the info on the Gaz 10 maps. The heart of Blackmoor no longer exists (at least where it was, anyway) since the Immortals created the massive polar opening in its place. (I liken it too them carving out a cancerous tumour from the planet). Urzud is perhaps the single largest remaining vestige of Blackmoor on Brun.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Chimpman wrote:The Blue Knife I do want to tie into the Radiance. I'm thinking right now that it is the heart of the reactor for the stronghold and resides in that huge center structure. So far the beastmen haven't been able to get inside to claim the artifact. That's why I don't want the Blackmoorian chain reaction to have reached Urzud, because I want to keep the Blue Knife intact and in play during this era. At some point the humanoids do retrieve it, remove it from the city, and set off the Steel Wars. I think one of our conversations might have suggested that Urzud was within the anti-magic zone of the pole, which could have protected it from the catastrophe. Again, I haven't decided yet, but this (or something similar) is probably the route I'll take.

Thoughts, comments, or input? I've got a lot of pots on the fire ATM, so I really appreciate you being the GazH watchdog. I do want to make this setting as compatible as possible with that project.

One interesting figure of "classic" Blackmoor is the Blue Rider... I'd think about the Blue Knife along the same ways :idea:
I know that in canon they say that the Blue Knife (eventually found after the quest) is a "humble" +1 steel dagger, but it doesn't mean that it is the same Blue Knife originally hidden in Urzud and/or so many other passages and exchanges may have happened in the meanwhile... ;)
Un'idea, un concetto, un'idea finché resta un'idea è soltanto un'astrazione.
Se potessi mangiare un'idea avrei fatto la mia rivoluzione.
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby RobJN » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Chimpman wrote:The Blue Knife I do want to tie into the Radiance. I'm thinking right now that it is the heart of the reactor for the stronghold and resides in that huge center structure. So far the beastmen haven't been able to get inside to claim the artifact. That's why I don't want the Blackmoorian chain reaction to have reached Urzud, because I want to keep the Blue Knife intact and in play during this era. At some point the humanoids do retrieve it, remove it from the city, and set off the Steel Wars. I think one of our conversations might have suggested that Urzud was within the anti-magic zone of the pole, which could have protected it from the catastrophe. Again, I haven't decided yet, but this (or something similar) is probably the route I'll take.

Thoughts, comments, or input? I've got a lot of pots on the fire ATM, so I really appreciate you being the GazH watchdog. I do want to make this setting as compatible as possible with that project.

One interesting figure of "classic" Blackmoor is the Blue Rider... I'd think about the Blue Knife along the same ways :idea:
I know that in canon they say that the Blue Knife (eventually found after the quest) is a "humble" +1 steel dagger, but it doesn't mean that it is the same Blue Knife originally hidden in Urzud and/or so many other passages and exchanges may have happened in the meanwhile... ;)

Stop reading my notes, Yaz! :P
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [City] Building Urzud

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm

:oops: looks like my ideas are not so innovative... :oops:
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby RobJN » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Fallen Earthshaker, anyone?

From the "Wildstar MMO" opening cinematic
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:28 pm

looks great!
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Chimpman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:43 am

Ohhh... I love it!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Previous

Return to 2300 BC