Announcement: Mystara 2300 BC Campaign Setting!

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Announcement: Mystara 2300 BC Campaign Setting!

Postby Chimpman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 am

Hi folks!

I've just uploaded a couple of pdf documents (one low res and one high res) detailing the Mystara 2300 BC Campaign Setting. This is the first (hopefully of many) products that I hope will see the light of day. This is a beta version, and it's still not complete. There are several areas that are still blank that will need some filling as the setting develops. However I think it's in a complete enough state to be useful to folks and I wanted to get it in your hands as soon as possible.

Campaign Setting Overview UPDATED

Enjoy. And please leave feedback when you have the chance!
Last edited by Chimpman on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Announcement: Mystara 2300 BC Campaign Setting!

Postby multizar » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:56 am

I just started reading, but I noticed on page 3 in paragraph 2, the first mention of the wasting disease is misspelled.

I will keep reading and let you know what I think...so far so good !!!! :D
I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do
Check out when you can see the ISS http://www.heavens-above.com
multizar
Troll

Postby multizar » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 am

Well, I gave it a good once over....I LOVE it! I can see it is still a work in progress, but you have indeed put a lot of effort into this project.

A particular favorite of mine is the final page. It is so reminiscent of the old gazatteers :mrgreen:
I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do
Check out when you can see the ISS http://www.heavens-above.com
multizar
Troll

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:56 pm

Nice changes to the document! Can't wait to see how this campaign unfolds.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:22 pm

multizar wrote:I just started reading, but I noticed on page 3 in paragraph 2, the first mention of the wasting disease is misspelled.

I will keep reading and let you know what I think...so far so good !!!! :D

Thanks! If any others find errors or inconsistencies I'd really appreciate listing them here.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:24 pm

multizar wrote:A particular favorite of mine is the final page. It is so reminiscent of the old gazatteers :mrgreen:

I know... it's my favorite as well... now if we can just fill a few more of those empty boxes in ;)

Seer of Yhog wrote:Nice changes to the document! Can't wait to see how this campaign unfolds.

Thanks. I'm pretty excited about getting a campaign started as well. Just talking about it has already spurred me on to continue working on the setting (adding to the Frontierlands map, for example).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:27 pm

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Woot! :mrgreen: I've made the Havard Blog!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:57 pm

You officially exist! :)
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby rossik » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:03 pm

just downloaded, and its a awesome material!
wished for bigger maps (maybe if they where splited in 4 parts, of something)

also, i dont get why adhuza is "x" this and "x" that..please share this info with us ó__ò
rossik
Goblin

Postby Chimpman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 pm

rossik wrote:just downloaded, and its a awesome material!
wished for bigger maps (maybe if they where splited in 4 parts, of something)

also, i dont get why adhuza is "x" this and "x" that..please share this info with us ó__ò

In the current document, Xs usually denote something I still need to complete. Most of those are related to nation area or names that still need to be thought up.

As for larger maps... they exist and can be found here on the Piazza! The best place to do so for the Mystara 2300 BC setting is to follow the links from the Thread Index, which should be stickeid at the top of the forum. Scroll down and you should see an entire section devoted to threads on Geographical maps. Most of those contain the current works in progress for their specified areas.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby rossik » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:11 pm

thanks friend!
wish lots of joy with the project ;)
rossik
Goblin

Postby Scaevola » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:06 am

Nice Christmas present!
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
Centurion of the XIVth Cohort
Saxa Rubra (Redstone), Thyatis
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We poor few forged as brothers in this furnace will emerge as the steel of future generations"
Scaevola
Bugbear

Postby OldDawg » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:57 am

A hearty congratulations, gentlemen, on a work well done. [we really need a toasting smiley]

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.
OldDawg
Troll

Postby agathokles » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Indeed. Great work, guys!

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby RobJN » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Good stuff. I, too, felt a big surge of nostalgia at the "back cover" image. Can't wait for it to fill in, as well.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby hyrieus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:59 pm

It's very good. Definitely a good time and place to fling PC's into.

I'm going to pick up a small point and run with it, from the Lupins p60, "After the rise of Nithia, it is a Lupin that is credited with destroying the last were-hawk"

Night Howlers has the were-hawks existing from AC406 to AC593 and being slain by Ruadrhi Hawkbane an elf. The Silver Hunter may not have acted alone though. Certainly Lupin and Pegataurs would be amongst his most likely allies. Lupins could slay the last were-hawk in Ylaurum, prehaps in an organisation known as the Pack of the Shifting Scent?

Or, it could be mythic lycanthropy, that allows us Azcan were-jaguars and Brute-men were-sabretooth. i could well imagine followers of Horon being gifted the abilities of a were-hawk as a blessing rather than a curse, being "reborn" with the countenance of Horon and the gifts of flight.Beginning again as a low level were-creature is simply part of a test from the immortal to remind them of humility.

After the fall of Nithia, which could be down to Outer Being corruption, the were-hawks had become compromised and the canine Plfarr/Ranivorous axis took measures against them. The Thanatos/trafficking with elementals explanation for the Spell of Oblivion is simply a cover story for the involvement with the OBs. Which doesn't necessarily make it untrue, Thanatos may secretly courting OBs in the hope to become an Old One, and summoning elementals may be a gateway magick to more serious other-dimensional contacts.

Prehaps a true order of were-hawk paladins of Horon exist in an isolated eyrie upon the Great Escarpment of the Isle of Dawn. Much as Osiris has an order of Druids in ape-form upon White isle in Ierendi. Possibly they guard against a day when the Outer Ones return.

The leader of the Lupins could be named Hubak, known to the Renardois as Saimpt-Hubert (after the RW patron saint of werewolf hunters)
hyrieus
Bugbear

Postby Chimpman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:39 pm

hyrieus wrote:It's very good. Definitely a good time and place to fling PC's into.

I'm going to pick up a small point and run with it, from the Lupins p60, "After the rise of Nithia, it is a Lupin that is credited with destroying the last were-hawk"

Night Howlers has the were-hawks existing from AC406 to AC593 and being slain by Ruadrhi Hawkbane an elf. The Silver Hunter may not have acted alone though. Certainly Lupin and Pegataurs would be amongst his most likely allies. Lupins could slay the last were-hawk in Ylaurum, prehaps in an organisation known as the Pack of the Shifting Scent?

This is one point where my work will differ from canon. I like the idea of lycanthropy existing prior to AC 400, at least in some shape or form - though it should probably be different than the modern lycanthropy of AC 400 and later.

I love the Pack of the Shifting Scent... sounds like something that could survive even into the modern era.

hyrieus wrote:Or, it could be mythic lycanthropy, that allows us Azcan were-jaguars and Brute-men were-sabretooth. i could well imagine followers of Horon being gifted the abilities of a were-hawk as a blessing rather than a curse, being "reborn" with the countenance of Horon and the gifts of flight.Beginning again as a low level were-creature is simply part of a test from the immortal to remind them of humility.

This is exactly along the lines that I've been thinking myself.

hyrieus wrote:After the fall of Nithia, which could be down to Outer Being corruption, the were-hawks had become compromised and the canine Plfarr/Ranivorous axis took measures against them. The Thanatos/trafficking with elementals explanation for the Spell of Oblivion is simply a cover story for the involvement with the OBs. Which doesn't necessarily make it untrue, Thanatos may secretly courting OBs in the hope to become an Old One, and summoning elementals may be a gateway magick to more serious other-dimensional contacts.

One thing I'll be exploring is the possibility that lupins were instrumental in creating mythic lycanthropy - though not of their own accord. If Taymoran vampire lords were using them to further their own agenda - twisting lupin blood into something vile and bestial that could better be controlled by the vampire lords, then perhaps the lupins would have an instinctual need to put an end to such an evil.

hyrieus wrote:Prehaps a true order of were-hawk paladins of Horon exist in an isolated eyrie upon the Great Escarpment of the Isle of Dawn. Much as Osiris has an order of Druids in ape-form upon White isle in Ierendi. Possibly they guard against a day when the Outer Ones return.

The leader of the Lupins could be named Hubak, known to the Renardois as Saimpt-Hubert (after the RW patron saint of werewolf hunters)

I love both of these ideas as well!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Zendrolion » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:57 am

A very good work, Chimp! :cool:
I'm sorry I didn't manage to download it until now.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5
Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Cool! Thanks Zen!

Hopefully we can get a few more products out this year (Shimmering Lands and Mogreth - which I think is doable) and maybe get some more people interested in working on the setting.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 pm

I have an updated PDF:

Campaign Setting Overview UPDATED

The updates are mostly cosmetic (very little content changes at this point). I've also managed to shrink the file size down quite a bit.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Scaevola » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 am

Hello John, how do I download the pdf from this page? I think I have a google account somewhere but I have never used google docs.
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We poor few forged as brothers in this furnace will emerge as the steel of future generations"
Scaevola
Bugbear

Postby Scaevola » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 am

Ok don't worry, I recovered my google account and downloaded the stuff. Cheers!
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
Scaevola
Bugbear

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Scaevola wrote:Ok don't worry, I recovered my google account and downloaded the stuff. Cheers!

Cool Giulio! Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

I also believe that these are hosted on the Vaults as well at: http://www.pandius.com/shimland.html Just in case others are having trouble pulling from Google Docs.

Enjoy!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Scaevola » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:50 am

Unfortunately I don't have so much time to follow all the threads and stuff. It's become too difficult to try to harmonize my ideas and my campaign with the other fans' production. So I generally just ignore most of it, and I have withdrawn more or less from the community, as you have seen. In the last five or six years I have played in Mystara three or four times a year with my old group, mostly for old times' sake, when we meet for Christmas or Easter as we get back to our families from the various places we're ended up living around Europe.
Iulius Sergius Scaevola
Scaevola
Bugbear

Next

Return to 2300 BC