Help me finish a module!

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Help me finish a module!

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a basically-complete OD&D module, set in Mogreth, that I would like to publish as public domain under the VoP label. I can wrestle with the text and make the final edits, but I think I'll need help developing high-grade versions of the maps I've drawn, and of course we'll need cover art.

I want to release another module for the community, that I hope people will download and enjoy. Realistically, if I did this on my own, it wouldn't be done until the New Year.

So, does anyone want to join in? You'll get full credit.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Re: Help me finish a module!

Postby Chimpman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Hey GG, I responded in the other thread as well, but I'm definitely up for doing some maps (I figure in CC depending on the type of map, but if there is a need for hex maps we can do those too).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:04 am

Cool! I made an area hex map based on the Mogreth map you did (the peninsular region), so revisiting that one at a much smaller scale should be doable.

Our map needs at present are:

-Regional map of Mogreth (probably 1-2 miles per hex) - region between Isshum and Urug'gash
-Map of Urug'gash (I sketched out one in pencil that can be used as a model)
-Map of the Mogrethian fortress that features in the first and last parts (I penciled this on graph paper - 5 floors)
-Map of the island that the ruined fort is now on (as of 1000 AC)
-Map of the bandit ambush on the road to Urug'gash
-*Optional* map of the main slave market of Isshum

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:44 am

Nice! I can start working on the regional map between Isshum and Urug'gash. If you can scan in your pencil sketches I can try reproducing them using CC. That's probably a good start for now.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Once the art and cartography is completed, I can do typesetting and PDFify it.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Chimpman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:36 am

The larger hexes are the 8 mile hexes, and the smaller ones are 2 miles.

Anyway, what kind of features do you want to see on this map, and where do you want them? Should we crop it more (and maybe go to 1mph)?
Last edited by Chimpman on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:18 pm

Here is the 1hpm scale map:
In this case the larger hexes are at 2mph, while the smaller are 1mph. Let me know which resolution you want to go with.
Last edited by Chimpman on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Hmmm... Hopefully I'm depicting the right region. I just noticed that you said the region between Isshum and Urug'gash, but the map I have has a village marked Urrug'gat. Are we talking about the same village, or is there another on the map that I'm missing? If we are talking about the same location, then which spelling is correct?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Hmm...for some reason there's no link on your posts. As far as the name goes, that was a typo - it was supposed to be Urrug'gash. I'll pull out my module tonight, and my sketch map, and see what features I had. We can also invent more as red herrings/side treks for PCs, since this is no longer limited to the needs of a four-hour convention game.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:49 pm

See if the images display now. I've got them posted on my Google Sites pages, and sometimes if I don't get the location syntax right they don't appear on these forums. Anyway, they should be there now.

As for the village name, that means (I think) that the map label is still off since it says Urrug'gat rather than Urrug'gash. Easy enough to change on the map, but I'm still not sure which spelling is correct.

If we want to add more features to the map (and possibly red herrings and side adventures) then my vote would be to go with the 2mph version since that would depict more terrain. The way I have things laid out now the 2mph map depicts an area roughly 60mi x 100mi, and covers a large portion of the Sea of Rurak and a portion of the lands surrounding it. A 1mph map of the same size would depict an area roughly half that size (30mi x 50mi) covering only the peninsula on the eastern side of Rurak.

EDIT: Just in case the images are still not showing up, here are some links:
https://sites.google.com/site/mystara23 ... p_2mph.png
https://sites.google.com/site/mystara23 ... p_1mph.png
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 pm

Chimpman wrote:Here is the 1hpm scale map:
In this case the larger hexes are at 2mph, while the smaller are 1mph. Let me know which resolution you want to go with.

Awesome - I think the 2 mph is the best way to go. We can add some new terrain features that are described in the module - those will come in a separate post. But in short the road connecting Isshum with Urrug'gash is elevated for the most part - it looks like a massive esker laid over the surrounding swamp. We can throw in lairs for the monsters that might be encountered on the table, and of course there is the keep itself.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:39 am

Cool, I'll start working on that map this week (while you said the 2hpm map, you posted the 1hpm map, so I'm assuming you meant the 1hpm - I need to get those maps labeled better!). The nice thing about either of the zoomed in maps is that we should be able to see the 3 villages surrounding Isshum. I'm assuming that the road from Isshum to Urrug'gash will pass through the village of Arkessh (to the north) and then wind its way south?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:12 am

Chimpman wrote:Cool, I'll start working on that map this week (while you said the 2hpm map, you posted the 1hpm map, so I'm assuming you meant the 1hpm - I need to get those maps labeled better!). The nice thing about either of the zoomed in maps is that we should be able to see the 3 villages surrounding Isshum. I'm assuming that the road from Isshum to Urrug'gash will pass through the village of Arkessh (to the north) and then wind its way south?

Whoops - yes, 1 mph. The road would pass through Arkessh first. I've dug out all my papers and sketch maps. Stay tuned for scans.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 am

I've updated the 1mph map. The road to Urrug'gash will come next.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Sweet! Fortunately, I'm at home with pneumonia, so I can scan.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Cool (not about the pneumonia part.... I'm prone to catching that myself, so not fun). If you want to mark up the map I posted as well that would be great too. Because it's a blow-up of the Mogreth map I also need to go in and firm up the coastlines again (which I've already done for the area around Isshum itself). I'm also going to try and add in the wall icon around the city (it should outline the green area). Not sure how that's going to look, but I'll give it a try and we'll see.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Here are the scans of the tower:

Schematic: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... tower2.jpg

Floor Plan: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... /tower.jpg (1 square = 10 feet)

And I also have a map of the island in the first part (where the modern-day ruins are located): http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... island.jpg

And here is the very rough map of Urrug'gash, which I drew on the fly at the con. Basically, it's four marshy islands connected by bridges in a largish pond/smallish lake. Access is by a retractable bridge.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... /urrug.jpg

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Very Cool! It looks like all of them (except the schematic) should be fairly easy to knock out using CC. I'll see what I can come up with tonight.

This one may prove difficult for me (given the CC components I have). Not sure about how to do this one yet - though I could try doing something just using Photoshop Elements or GIMP.

Seer of Yhog wrote:Floor Plan: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... /tower.jpg (1 square = 10 feet)

This one is pretty straight forward. I'll do it up much in the same style as my Elder's Compound. Are there any labels you want on the map (for example naming the tower)? Or should I just call it "The Tower?"

Seer of Yhog wrote:And I also have a map of the island in the first part (where the modern-day ruins are located): http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... island.jpg

Does the island have a name? How large is it? If the tower above is the structure at the top of the hill then I can probably guesstimate.
Also there are 2 "X"s that I can see on the map. Is there a significance to those sites?

Seer of Yhog wrote:And here is the very rough map of Urrug'gash, which I drew on the fly at the con. Basically, it's four marshy islands connected by bridges in a largish pond/smallish lake. Access is by a retractable bridge.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... /urrug.jpg

It's hard to tell with the scan, but is there a structure in the middle of the four islands? Also, what is the size and population of Urrug'gash - that will help in determining how many buildings get placed.
Also it looks like there are a couple of "R"s on the map. Do they stand for anything?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:18 am

Chimpman wrote:This one may prove difficult for me (given the CC components I have). Not sure about how to do this one yet - though I could try doing something just using Photoshop Elements or GIMP.

If it's too difficult, don't worry about it. If someone volunteers to do interior art, this could be useful for them.

Chimpman wrote:Are there any labels you want on the map (for example naming the tower)? Or should I just call it "The Tower?"

I think "the tower" would be fine, and aside from the numbered room keys, I don't think we'll need labels (aside from North, which would be to the upper right, not straight above). I would note that the ruined version of the tower only has the lower two floors, and we might want to ruin it a little.

Chimpan wrote:Does the island have a name? How large is it? If the tower above is the structure at the top of the hill then I can probably guesstimate.
Also there are 2 "X"s that I can see on the map. Is there a significance to those sites?

The island is very small - probably a mile wide at most. This is how I justify putting it off Ylaruam's coast when, according to the Gaz, there are no islands in the Sea of Dawn around there - it wouldn't show up in an 8-mile hex. As for a name, I don't think it has one, but we can fix that.

The "X"s are where the party ambushed some pirates (very skillfully) during the game at the Con, so they're not necessary.

Chimpman wrote:It's hard to tell with the scan, but is there a structure in the middle of the four islands? Also, what is the size and population of Urrug'gash - that will help in determining how many buildings get placed. Also it looks like there are a couple of "R"s on the map. Do they stand for anything?

I'll post the keyed location descriptions from the module, as that should help. The structure in the middle is the sunken foundation of a temple, with a dais in the middle that is just under the surface of the water. The "lake" itself averages about 5 feet deep, but it's filled with nasty fish that will nibble you if you're not a local. The two "R"s denote residential quarters - the other two islands were set aside for very specific purposes, and are off-limits to locals unless they have a reason to be there.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 am

I'm a little rusty working with CC3, so it'll take me some more time to get this exactly right. In the mean time here is the first pass at the island. Feedback is welcomed.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:15 pm

That is awesome. Seriously, it's exactly as I thought it should be. If we can put a path winding up the slope to the tower, all will be perfect. :)

...and a tiny slice of old Mogreth remains above the waters - defiant and brooding...

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:That is awesome. Seriously, it's exactly as I thought it should be. If we can put a path winding up the slope to the tower, all will be perfect. :)

...and a tiny slice of old Mogreth remains above the waters - defiant and brooding...

Thanks! I'm not entirely happy with the effects being used on the map yet. I need to re-read the tutorial as a refresher course. The path up to the tower won't be a problem.

As for the tower, is it fully formed, or a ruin?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:49 pm

It's a ruin in the present day - two intact floors above ground, with the third open to the sky.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:31 am

Replaced the island map. Still not satisfied, but I'm getting closer.

Edit: One more time. It's looking much better.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

As promised - the text on Urrug'gash...

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:40 pm

URRUG’GASH

Urrug’gash is a village of 600 frog-folk, built on a collection of marshy islands connected by bridges in the midst of a small, shallow lake. The only way to enter the town, aside from swimming, is by crossing a retractable wooden bridge that is protected on the mainland side by a stone guardhouse. The road from Isshum ends here, but there is a narrow side trail that circles the lake and continues south to the coast. From a distance, the town looks very crowded, with the nearest islands being nearly covered by squat stone buildings.

The PCs’ reception at the gates of Urrug’gash will depend on whether they are still with the caravan. If so, the frogfolk guards at the gate will glance at the papers presented by the wagon driver, and study the PCs intently before asking them where they are from, and who employs them. Antonius will tell the guards that they are barbarian mercenaries in Tuurash’s employ. At the mention of the sorcerer king’s name, the guards will back away quickly, but tell Antonius that he must account for his guards’ activities while they are in the town. The guards will ignore any attempts by the PCs to talk to them.

If the PCs arrive alone, the guards will demand to see their papers and will study their plaques closely. They will question Antonius as to his intentions while he is in Urrug’gash, and will even demand to see Tuurash's list of herbs. Eventually the guards will be satisfied, but will emphasise to Antonius that he is responsible for his party’s conduct while they are in town.

Frogfolk guards (2): AC 5, HD 2, hp 11 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 8, AL C. The guards are armed with short swords and bear shields.

Once the PCs are across, the DM can read or paraphrase the following:

The ground squelches noisily underfoot as you step off of the bridge. Everywhere you look, you see single-storey stone buildings, separated by streets so narrow that a large man would scrape his shoulders against them as he walked. This isn’t a problem for the local frogfolk, who scamper about easily, and leap over each other and onto roofs to get where they need to go. Amazingly, no one seems to crash into each other.

A number of the locals stop what they are doing once they notice you. Several point their fingers at you, muttering and croaking in their own language, while others abruptly turn away or leap down side streets.

1. Residential Quarter: Two of the islands are covered with squat, flat-roofed stone houses. The streets are very narrow and wind everywhere. Urrug’gash has no distinct merchant quarter; on any given street there are a number of shops mixed with private homes (the same range of businesses exist here as in human towns). Frogfolk merchants will have nothing to do with the PCs, and will only grudgingly deal with Antonius.

2. Nursery: This island is where the frogfolk keep their eggs before they hatch. Several large pools of water occupy much of this island. Each pool contains 2d20 soft eggs, and is tended by a worker who stirs and changes the water regularly to ensure the eggs mature.

Guards are posted at both bridges, and they will forbid Antonius and the PCs from visiting the island. If the PCs try to push past the guards, they will attack immediately. For each round of combat, there is a 50% chance that 1d4 enraged frogfolk (use same stats as the workers) will join the fight.

Frogfolk guards (4): AC 5, HD 3, hp 15 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6+1, Save F3, ML 12, AL C. The guards are armed with short swords and bear shields. Guarding eggs is considered an honour among the frogfolk; these warriors will fight to the death.

Frogfolk workers (5): AC 6, HD 1, hp 6 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6 (kick), Save F1, ML 6, AL C.

3. Farm: There are only two slab-like buildings on this bare island, each of which measures over 100 feet on a side. Neither of the buildings have windows, and each only has one door. Each entrance is guarded by two frogfolk warriors.

Frogfolk warriors (2): AC 5, HD 2, hp 11 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 8, AL C. The guards are armed with short swords and bear shields.

3a.This building gives off a strong odour of rotting meat and dung (through unseen vents in the roof). The inside is one vast pit, filled with carrion and other waste from the town. Dozens of huge maggots (which do not fight) feast on the decaying mass. The stench inside the building is overwhelming – everyone must make a halved CON check every turn to avoid getting sick. Frogfolk workers, their nostrils plugged with a resin of some kind, keep watch over the maggots and pull out any that have entered the cocoon stage, as well as sickly maggots.

Frogfolk workers (3): AC 6, HD 1, hp 6 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6 (kick), Save F1, ML 6, AL C.

3b.This building houses the cocoons gathered from the maggot farm, where they are kept until they mature into robber flies. A musty odour is strong here. The largest part of the interior is taken up by four large, shallow pools, filled with gilled frogmen (immature frogfolk). Workers feed the juveniles dead robber flies and maggots culled from the other building.

The opposite wall from the entrance has a single door and several viewing grills, through which a much smaller room, filled with cocoons and robber flies, can be seen. The ceiling of this chamber is made of a wooden lattice, with several hatches.

Robber flies (20): AC 6, HD 2, hp 10 each, MV 90’ (30’)/180’ (60’), #AT 1, D 1d8, Save F1, ML 8, AL N.

4. Lake: Although the lake is only four feet deep on average, it is filled with small, carnivorous freshwater fish. Anyone entering the lake has a 40% per turn of being attacked (roll the attack as a 4 HD monster) – increase this chance to 60% if the person in question has fallen in. A successful attack inflicts 1d6 damage, and once a PC is injured he or she will take damage every round, due to the blood loss attracting more fish. There are hundreds of fish in the lake.

If the PCs observe activity on the lake for any length of time, they will notice that frogfolk enter it periodically, but do not seem to be bothered by the fish. A successful INT check will reveal that the frogfolk apply a green paste to their bodies before entering the water. The paste, which has a strong citrus smell, is made from the roots of an aquatic herb that grows in the nearby swamps, can be bought in most shops (1 dokhol will buy a large jar of it, which has enough for 20 uses). Each application is good for four hours.

5. Temple: The central part of the lake is where the residents of Urrug’gash conduct their religious ceremonies. There is a broken wall just beneath the surface of the water, which forms a courtyard of sorts. The lakebed here is flat stone, rather than mud. This is actually the ruins of an ancient temple, built by the frogfolk of Y’ruth millennia ago. In the middle of the temple is a dais that almost breaks the water’s surface. If the PCs search the dais, they may find a hidden compartment (detected on a 1 on 1d6) containing a small stone coffer, which holds a golden diadem inset with semi-precious stones (worth 250 gp). This treasure, unknown to the residents of Urrug’gash, was once worn by the local priest.

As the temple is considered sacred ground, the frogfolk will become enraged if they notice the PCs exploring it. There is a cumulative 5% chance per turn of such a discovery being made, after which 1d4 frogfolk will arrive per round and attack.

Enraged frogfolk (1d4): AC 6, HD 1, hp 6 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6 (kick), Save F1, ML 6, AL C.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Next

Return to 2300 BC