Urrug’gash is a village of 600 frog-folk, built on a collection of marshy islands connected by bridges in the midst of a small, shallow lake. The only way to enter the town, aside from swimming, is by crossing a retractable wooden bridge that is protected on the mainland side by a stone guardhouse. The road from Isshum ends here, but there is a narrow side trail that circles the lake and continues south to the coast. From a distance, the town looks very crowded, with the nearest islands being nearly covered by squat stone buildings.
The PCs’ reception at the gates of Urrug’gash will depend on whether they are still with the caravan. If so, the frogfolk guards at the gate will glance at the papers presented by the wagon driver, and study the PCs intently before asking them where they are from, and who employs them. Antonius will tell the guards that they are barbarian mercenaries in Tuurash’s employ. At the mention of the sorcerer king’s name, the guards will back away quickly, but tell Antonius that he must account for his guards’ activities while they are in the town. The guards will ignore any attempts by the PCs to talk to them.
If the PCs arrive alone, the guards will demand to see their papers and will study their plaques closely. They will question Antonius as to his intentions while he is in Urrug’gash, and will even demand to see Tuurash's list of herbs. Eventually the guards will be satisfied, but will emphasise to Antonius that he is responsible for his party’s conduct while they are in town.
Frogfolk guards (2): AC 5, HD 2, hp 11 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 8, AL C. The guards are armed with short swords and bear shields.
Once the PCs are across, the DM can read or paraphrase the following:
The ground squelches noisily underfoot as you step off of the bridge. Everywhere you look, you see single-storey stone buildings, separated by streets so narrow that a large man would scrape his shoulders against them as he walked. This isn’t a problem for the local frogfolk, who scamper about easily, and leap over each other and onto roofs to get where they need to go. Amazingly, no one seems to crash into each other.
A number of the locals stop what they are doing once they notice you. Several point their fingers at you, muttering and croaking in their own language, while others abruptly turn away or leap down side streets.
1. Residential Quarter: Two of the islands are covered with squat, flat-roofed stone houses. The streets are very narrow and wind everywhere. Urrug’gash has no distinct merchant quarter; on any given street there are a number of shops mixed with private homes (the same range of businesses exist here as in human towns). Frogfolk merchants will have nothing to do with the PCs, and will only grudgingly deal with Antonius.
2. Nursery: This island is where the frogfolk keep their eggs before they hatch. Several large pools of water occupy much of this island. Each pool contains 2d20 soft eggs, and is tended by a worker who stirs and changes the water regularly to ensure the eggs mature.
Guards are posted at both bridges, and they will forbid Antonius and the PCs from visiting the island. If the PCs try to push past the guards, they will attack immediately. For each round of combat, there is a 50% chance that 1d4 enraged frogfolk (use same stats as the workers) will join the fight.
Frogfolk guards (4): AC 5, HD 3, hp 15 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6+1, Save F3, ML 12, AL C. The guards are armed with short swords and bear shields. Guarding eggs is considered an honour among the frogfolk; these warriors will fight to the death.
Frogfolk workers (5): AC 6, HD 1, hp 6 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6 (kick), Save F1, ML 6, AL C.
3. Farm: There are only two slab-like buildings on this bare island, each of which measures over 100 feet on a side. Neither of the buildings have windows, and each only has one door. Each entrance is guarded by two frogfolk warriors.
Frogfolk warriors (2): AC 5, HD 2, hp 11 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 8, AL C. The guards are armed with short swords and bear shields.
3a.This building gives off a strong odour of rotting meat and dung (through unseen vents in the roof). The inside is one vast pit, filled with carrion and other waste from the town. Dozens of huge maggots (which do not fight) feast on the decaying mass. The stench inside the building is overwhelming – everyone must make a halved CON check every turn to avoid getting sick. Frogfolk workers, their nostrils plugged with a resin of some kind, keep watch over the maggots and pull out any that have entered the cocoon stage, as well as sickly maggots.
Frogfolk workers (3): AC 6, HD 1, hp 6 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6 (kick), Save F1, ML 6, AL C.
3b.This building houses the cocoons gathered from the maggot farm, where they are kept until they mature into robber flies. A musty odour is strong here. The largest part of the interior is taken up by four large, shallow pools, filled with gilled frogmen (immature frogfolk). Workers feed the juveniles dead robber flies and maggots culled from the other building.
The opposite wall from the entrance has a single door and several viewing grills, through which a much smaller room, filled with cocoons and robber flies, can be seen. The ceiling of this chamber is made of a wooden lattice, with several hatches.
Robber flies (20): AC 6, HD 2, hp 10 each, MV 90’ (30’)/180’ (60’), #AT 1, D 1d8, Save F1, ML 8, AL N.
4. Lake: Although the lake is only four feet deep on average, it is filled with small, carnivorous freshwater fish. Anyone entering the lake has a 40% per turn of being attacked (roll the attack as a 4 HD monster) – increase this chance to 60% if the person in question has fallen in. A successful attack inflicts 1d6 damage, and once a PC is injured he or she will take damage every round, due to the blood loss attracting more fish. There are hundreds of fish in the lake.
If the PCs observe activity on the lake for any length of time, they will notice that frogfolk enter it periodically, but do not seem to be bothered by the fish. A successful INT check will reveal that the frogfolk apply a green paste to their bodies before entering the water. The paste, which has a strong citrus smell, is made from the roots of an aquatic herb that grows in the nearby swamps, can be bought in most shops (1 dokhol will buy a large jar of it, which has enough for 20 uses). Each application is good for four hours.
5. Temple: The central part of the lake is where the residents of Urrug’gash conduct their religious ceremonies. There is a broken wall just beneath the surface of the water, which forms a courtyard of sorts. The lakebed here is flat stone, rather than mud. This is actually the ruins of an ancient temple, built by the frogfolk of Y’ruth millennia ago. In the middle of the temple is a dais that almost breaks the water’s surface. If the PCs search the dais, they may find a hidden compartment (detected on a 1 on 1d6) containing a small stone coffer, which holds a golden diadem inset with semi-precious stones (worth 250 gp). This treasure, unknown to the residents of Urrug’gash, was once worn by the local priest.
As the temple is considered sacred ground, the frogfolk will become enraged if they notice the PCs exploring it. There is a cumulative 5% chance per turn of such a discovery being made, after which 1d4 frogfolk will arrive per round and attack.
Enraged frogfolk (1d4): AC 6, HD 1, hp 6 each, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1d6 (kick), Save F1, ML 6, AL C.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.My Blog is here!