Help me finish a module!

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Re: Help me finish a module!

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:48 pm

On one of the residential islands (doesn't matter which), there is a large clearing which serves as a market:

"The market is an open, paved plaza, measuring almost 100 feet on a side, in the midst of the residential quarter of the largest island. Dozens of stalls line the outside of the market, where visitors may buy herbs, as well as local delicacies (mainly insects), live animals, alchemical and other spellcasting supplies, and clothing."
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks Seer! I started the village a few nights ago, but this description will really help me to flesh things out a lot.

So with a village of 600 and 2 of the four islands being designated as "residential" that means we should have about 300 individuals living on each. Assuming a family unit of 5 that's about 60 structures (the stone houses you mentioned above) on each of the two islands. Is that how you envision it?

Also, how large would you say the diameter of the lake is?

P.S. The images I've been showing have all been scaled down to fit within the 600 x 600 pixel limitations of the forum. I have (and can make) much larger versions of those when we are ready.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 pm

That sounds about right, to me. I never fleshed out frogfolk from a cultural standpoint, as the focus was on lizard men for my Mogreth work. However, since that project is still underway I may have to revisit that at some point.

As for the lake...let's say it's about 3/4 mile in diameter, and see how that looks. In the end, the islands just need to be far enough from shore to make using the bridge necessary.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:39 pm

First pass at Urrug. I've only got housing on one of the two islands, but I wanted some feedback before I go any further.

Urrug'gash

Urrug Closeup
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 pm

This is excellent! Once the village is done we'll need to put in a few stands of forest around the lakeshore, mixed with swamp. Is there any other info you need?

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Do the frogfolk use any rafts to move themselves or goods around the village? If so would there be any docks on any of the various islands? Also are there check points/guard stations on the internal bridges, or do the frogfolk leave those unguarded? Other than that I think I'm good to complete this one.

The only other comment I would make is that (based on the scale we are using) some of those bridges would end up being fairly long (in the several hundred feet range). I'm thinking that there may be some shallow areas/smaller islands dotting the lake - especially in between the 4 islands - and these would serve as anchoring points for the bridges. This might also mean that the bridges aren't exactly straight leading from one island to the next.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Updated the Urrug images. It's still a work in progress. I'd like to add a few more smaller islands across the lake (same size as the ones supporting the bridges), and I still need to figure out a way to do the ruins in the center. After that I'll try and fill in the lake shores with some more vegetation.

EDIT: Yet one more update. I've added smaller islands and more vegetation detail to the village. The central ruins are also included.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:32 am

One more image for today - this is my first pass at the tower. Again, I am made aware of how much I've forgotten from when I first started learning how to operate CC3.
Last edited by Chimpman on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:48 am

Hey Seer, any more input on the Urrug map (I think it's close to being done now)? I'm probably going to tone down the shadows - they make everything look kind of blurry at their current length, but other than that I'm fairly happy with it. Should I label it with the location numbers given in the previous post?

Also, let me know if you want higher res images than the ones I'm posting here (those are max 600x600). I can make the images much bigger.

Oh, and lastly, do you have any more direction for the overland hex map?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:10 am

Chimpman wrote:One more image for today - this is my first pass at the tower. Again, I am made aware of how much I've forgotten from when I first started learning how to operate CC3.

It's a good start for the tower map - is there any way we can add in the arrow slits?

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:14 am

Chimpman wrote:Hey Seer, any more input on the Urrug map (I think it's close to being done now)?

I like! I think you should tone down the shadows, but aside from that let's key the map and lock it in. I don't know about higher-res images. My thought was that once this baby was done, we would create a PDF file and host it somewhere for download (my photobucket site, if need be). At the end of the day, the map should look good printed on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper - if higher-res is needed to make that happen, let's do it.

Chimpman wrote:Oh, and lastly, do you have any more direction for the overland hex map?

Thanks for reminding me. I'll get back to that as soon as I can.

G

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Chimpman wrote:Do the frogfolk use any rafts to move themselves or goods around the village? If so would there be any docks on any of the various islands? Also are there check points/guard stations on the internal bridges, or do the frogfolk leave those unguarded? Other than that I think I'm good to complete this one.

Missed this one. I would imagine that the frogfolk must use rafts occasionally, as it just wouldn't be practical to swim back and forth numerous times. So some docks on each island are probably needed.

The bridges are guarded at each end, and the locals probably think the nasty fish living in their lake are probably enough to handle most trespassers. So no checkpoints.

Chimpman wrote:The only other comment I would make is that (based on the scale we are using) some of those bridges would end up being fairly long (in the several hundred feet range). I'm thinking that there may be some shallow areas/smaller islands dotting the lake - especially in between the 4 islands - and these would serve as anchoring points for the bridges. This might also mean that the bridges aren't exactly straight leading from one island to the next.

I see that this has been done, but I agree!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:57 am

I've just uploaded a final (full) version of Urrug Village. You should be able to scale this down for a full view image as well as crop it for zoomed in images.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxbFl5 ... WZxUURCUEk
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:12 pm

Yeeaaahhhhh! Awesome! :) Back to work, then.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Strange... I thought I posted this as well, but I guess not. I've also added the arrow slits to the tower. Can you give me any more direction about what each level of the tower is meant for? I'm looking for some ideas for sprucing up the room design a bit with furniture and such.

Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:12 pm

I'll send a floor summary soon. This is great.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Chimpman wrote:I've just uploaded a final (full) version of Urrug Village. You should be able to scale this down for a full view image as well as crop it for zoomed in images.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxbFl5 ... WZxUURCUEk

There were a couple more locations on the map that were kind of "in my head" while I was drawing it up. I haven't labeled them, but they are:

Lakeside dock: This is the set of docks just to the east of the guard towers on the lake shore. The dock is used to transport larger goods (those not easily carried by frogfolk in the water on their own) from the lakeside to the islands. There may be one or more ramshackle rafts floating here - what probably amounts to little more than a few logs lashed together. An eye from the tower frequently scans this sight, so no commandeered raft would likely go unnoticed.

Hermit's hut: The small island in the mid western portion of the lake contains a makeshift dock and rundown hovel. A crazy frogfolk hermit lives here. Once he was the premier religious leader in the village, but decades of serving the Outer Beings have left his mind shattered. Despite his insanity (or possibly because of it) the hermit may lend aid to strangers - especially if he believes doing so will draw the attention of his "masters".

Behemoth's bones: Whatever this gigantic creature once was, now it is long dead and only its bones remain. The are signs of strange rituals being performed in and around the pile of bones, and it is quite possible that some insane Mogrethian wizard has been trying to raise the creature as an undead servant.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Love all these ideas, consider them added!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Here is the room key for the tower in the modern era (two floors remaining):

Ground Floor:

1. Entry Tunnel: This 8’ high tunnel passes partway under the second floor on the way to a set of doors, which seem to be made of blackened steel. The tunnel is just wide enough for two people to walk abreast. Roughly ten feet from the doors are a pair of arrow slits. The doors are actually wood encased in steel (AC 3), but the interior has long since rotted away (40 hp). They are bolted, but if reduced to 0 hp they will literally fall apart. Two pirates, stationed in 3a and 3b, are watching the party, but will only open fire if they try to open the doors (see below).

2. Central Chamber: This perfectly round room houses the tower’s central staircase, and served as a marshalling point for troops preparing to mount sorties; it is normally unoccupied. Exits lead northwest, northeast, southeast, southwest, and due west to the entry tunnel.

3a. Guard Room: The cramped chamber was once used by archers to rain death upon besiegers, but is now occupied by a single pirate (AC 6, HD 2, hp 11, MV 90' (30'), #AT 1 weapon, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 7, AL C) armed with a crossbow. He will wait silently until the party tries to open the door, after which he will open fire (roll for surprise at -1). He will keep shooting until the party breaks the door down, at which point he will run upstairs to room 4 to warn the others – this will take three rounds. If captured or killed, the pirate has 20 gp in various coinage. He can also, if interrogated, tell the party where the other pirates are located, but knows nothing else of value.

3b. Guard Room: This room was also used by the original garrison to defend the tower, but now only one pirate (AC 5, HD 3, hp 18, MV 90' (30'), #AT 1 weapon, D 1d6 or 1d6+2, Save F3, ML 12, AL C) stands guard here, wielding a crossbow. As with his partner, he will shoot only if the party tries to open the door, but due to extreme zeal he will not abandon his post. Instead, he will draw his short sword and charge the party in a berserk rage (+4 to hit). He has 13 gp and a silver ring (50 gp), but is unable to talk (his tongue was cut out years ago).

3c. Living Quarters: At one time this was a guard room, but the pirates have since turned it into a squalid barracks that smells strongly of smoke. Four improvised pallets surround a crude fireplace made of loose stones, and in one corner is a wooden crate overflowing with junk. A cast iron cooking pot rests on the ground next to the fireplace. The pot contains congealed homemade stew, which is (barely) edible. The crate contains spare clothing and a nearly empty bottle of cheap liquor. There is nothing else of value here.

3d. Living Quarters: This was also once a guard room, but it now houses three pirates, one of whom is here resting. Three pallets are arranged neatly along one wall, and a brazier has been set up at the other end. An empty cooking pot and kettle lie on the floor next to the brazier. The pirate (AC 9, HD 2, hp 2, MV 30' (10'), #AT none, D 0, Save F2, ML 6, AL N) is recovering from wounds sustained during the raid, and will wake up after three rounds of fighting on the ground floor. Due to his injuries he will plead for mercy, and if interrogated he will tell the party where the pirates are located, and that the chest in the treasure room (6) is trapped. He will also mention that “large machine” in the wizard’s room (8); although he has no idea what it is for. There is nothing of value here.

Second Floor:

When the tower was still occupied by the original garrison, the defenders were able to seal off the ground floor by sliding a heavy metal plate over the top of the stairway. Time has rendered the partially-extended plate immovable, but it does restrict access to the upper central chamber (4). Only one person can enter the room per round.

4. Upper Central Chamber: Two stairways dominate this circular room – one goes down to (2), and the other used to go up to the third floor, but is now blocked by a series of heavy wooden planks. Normally this room is empty, but if the pirate from (3a) manages to make it here, he will sound a general alarm. Every pirate on this floor will gather here in two rounds, and wait for the intruders to climb the steps. If none of the PCs come upstairs within five rounds, the pirates will go downstairs to attack them. Antonius Laevinus, the wizard who unofficially leads this group, will remain on this floor. He is confident that any attackers who survive the pirates’ counterattack will be easy for him to deal with.

5. Captain’s Quarters: This used to be a barrack room, but now the pirate captain calls this chamber home. A crude bed has been set up along the far wall, at the foot of which is a wooden chest. The chest contains the captain’s spare clothes, but nestled in the bottom is a potion of healing and a purse containing his personal wealth (four small rubies worth 80 gp each). A battered desk and stool are in the corner nearest the door. An inkpot and quill, and an old leather ledger, are clearly visible. If the PCs read the ledger they will find accounts of treasure allocations that go back five years, as well as a detailed inventory of supplies.

[stats for captain deleted]

6. Treasure Room: The tower’s guards used to live in this cramped chamber, but now it houses the pirates’ treasure. There is a locked and trapped iron chest, containing 250 gp, 520 sp, and 950 cp, resting in one corner. The trap sprays acid at anyone within five feet of the front of the chest (save vs. Dragon’s Breath or take 1d4 damage for three rounds, 50% chance of disfigurement – lose 2 points of CHA). The chest may be smashed apart (AC 2, 65 hp), but doing so releases the acid automatically. Two rolled-up tapestries (each worth 200 gp) lie along the opposite wall – each of them weighs 300 cn and is four feet long, 12 feet long if unrolled. One tapestry displays a typical hunting scene, but the other shows a pitched battle between armoured men and ranks of what appear to be lizard men.

7. Storage Room: This room used to house guards, but now it serves as a storage room. Three barrels of water, two crates of iron rations, four large wheels of cheese, and a sack of grain are lined along one wall, and a slab of smoked meat is hanging from a hook in the far corner. On the opposite side are basic supplies that the pirates have taken off their ship for use in the tower – boxes of nails, tools, cooking pots, spare wooden planking, four 50’ coils of rope, and three folded sheets of canvas (20’ by 20’).

Almost hidden in one corner is a strange looking, rusted sword with a forward-curving blade (a falcata). This weapon was used by the original inhabitants of the tower, but has been ignored all this time. Anyone proficient with a normal sword may use it with a -2 penalty to attack rolls, but its appearance makes it look unusable.

8. Wizard’s Quarters: At one time this room served as quarters for the tower garrison, but now it is the domain of Antonius Laevinus. A black stone cube, measuring four feet on a side and which rests on a pedestal, dominates the room. Metal rods, ending in large glass balls filled with thick liquids of various colours, protrude from the sides. The face of the device has six protruding slots, each measuring almost a foot wide. Resting on top of the cube are six silver tablets, each measuring two feet long and eight inches wide.

The remaining space is occupied by a cot and a workbench, which is covered with papers and books. There is a locked chest, containing Antonius’s supplies (worth 500 gp in total), underneath the workbench. If the PCs search the papers, a halved INT check will reveal that Antonius was researching a lost civilisation that was thought to exist in the lands now occupied by Ylaruam. Unless an alarm has been raised, Antonius will be working in this room – his statistics are as follows:

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

And now the room key for the tower when it was intact...

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Ground Floor:

1. Entry Tunnel: The entry tunnel is unchanged, except that the doors are in excellent condition (AC 3, 100 hp). Four guards watch the entrance, stationed in 3a and 3b. They will open fire if the PCs approach the doors (see below).

2. Staircase Room: This chamber is normally unoccupied. Exits lead northwest, northeast, southeast, southwest, and due west to the entry tunnel. There is a staircase leading up to the second floor, and another leading downwards. The latter staircase appears to have been carved by hand.

3a. Guard Room: The cramped chamber is occupied by two frogman archers, who are ready to rain death on any intruders (AC 6, HD 2, hp 11 each, MV 90' (30'), #AT 1 weapon, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 7, AL C). The archers will shoot for five rounds, or until the party is about to break the door down, after which one of them will run to room 4 for reinforcements – this will take three rounds. They have nothing of value except their shortbows.

3b. Guard Room: This room is occupied by two frogman archers (AC 6, HD 2, hp 11 each, MV 90' (30'), #AT 1 weapon, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 7, AL C), armed with shortbows. As with their colleagues in room 3a, they will open fire as soon as any intruder approaches the doors. They have nothing of value.

3c. Storage Room: This room used to be a guard room, but the frogmen have turned it into a storage room. Clay water jugs line the far wall, and several sacks of dried insects (iron rations) are piled on a wooden table. A small wooden box in the corner contains ten bundles of dried herbs which, if chewed, act as a stimulant (+2 to initiative for two hours, after which the user feels fatigued (-1 to initiative and attacks for four hours).

3d. Living Quarters: This room is where the archers sleep, but all of them are on duty because of the ceremony downstairs. Four pallets are lined along the far wall, and a brazier has been set up in the middle of the room. There is nothing of value here.

Second Floor:

The metal plate that was designed to seal off the ground floor during a siege is undamaged (AC 2, 100 hit points), and fully movable (a total Strength of 30 is required to move it).

4. Staircase Room: Two stairways dominate this circular room – one goes down to (2), and the other goes up to (9). Normally this room is empty, but if an archer from the lower floor makes it here, he will sound a general alarm. All of the guards on this floor will gather here in two rounds, and head downstairs to meet the attackers.

5-8. Barracks: Each of these rooms houses two frogman warriors (AC 6, HD 2, hp 11 each, MV 90' (30'), #AT 1 weapon, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 7, AL C), armed with short swords or spears. In addition to two sleeping pallets and a brazier, each room has a 50% chance of containing 1d6 dokhol. The moment combat starts on this floor, all of the remaining warriors will converge and attack the PCs.

Room 6 also contains a slightly dusty falcata in one corner. This is the same weapon that the PCs may have found in their own time period.

Third Floor:

9. Staircase Room: This room is normally empty. Stairways lead up to (14) and down to (4).

10. Study: This room has been thoroughly ransacked by the frogmen, and the smashed desk, chair, and shelves have been piled in one corner. If the PCs search the debris, they can find a cherry-sized sphere made of polished blue crystal. When held or worn, the sphere glows softly whenever another living thing is less than 20 feet away. This was one of the sorcerer’s experiments, which could be very useful to a hermit, but less so for an adventurer. The sphere would be worth 100 gp, mainly as a curiosity.

11-12. Storage: The sorcerer and his apprentice used these rooms to store magical ingredients and other supplies, but the frogmen have long since taken anything of value. Aside from the rotting remains of canvas sacks, smashed shelves and clay pots, and other debris, there is nothing here.

13. Apprentice Quarters: This room once belonged to the sorcerer’s apprentice, but he was murdered by the frogfolk when they took over the tower – but not before killing many of his attackers. The floor and walls are scorched in many places, and the apprentice’s remains are mixed among the smashed fragments of his wooden bed. A successful search of the debris will reveal a stoppered brass tube, which contains a spell scroll with the following spells:

Level 1: light, magic missile (x2)
Level 2: locate object, mirror image
Level 3: dispel magic

Fourth Floor:

14. Staircase Room: This room is normally empty. Stairs go down to (9) and up to (18).

15. Sorcerer’s Chamber: This room once held the sorcerer’s bed and personal effects, but the frogfolk looted it after they took over the tower. This is now a garbage room, and one corner has a huge mound of debris. If the PCs search the pile, they may find a two inch thick steel disk, measuring a foot wide, with three small dials on it. Each dial has the numbers 0-9 etched on it. The frogfolk tried to open it, but grew frustrated and tossed it into the pile. A thief may unlock the disk with a successful Open Lock roll, but the mechanism is very complex (-70% modifier to skill), and each attempt takes two turns. Alternatively, the disk can be smashed open (AC 3, 200 hp), but there is a 90% chance that the contents will be destroyed.

If the PCs open the disk, they will find a folded piece of parchment, which measures three feet square when unfolded, depicting the device that transported them to Mogreth. Numerous smaller diagrams appear in the margins, as well as extensive notes. Antonius will recognise this immediately as a schematic for the device, and he will claim to be able to operate it perfectly if he has time to study it. The schematic would be worth 5,000 gp to a spellcaster.

The alcove (a) contains the time-travel device itself, which was the sorcerer’s secret project. Even the PCs will notice that it is fully intact; although the metal tablets are missing.

16. Dining Room: This room is where the sorcerer and his apprentice took their meals. A six foot long ebony table, with two matching chairs, dominates the room. One chair is noticeably more ornate than the other. The current inhabitants eat here on occasion, but most of them either squat on the floor, or sit on the crude bench lined up against the far wall. The table would be worth 1,000 gp, but weighing 600 lbs. it would be a challenge to move. The chairs are worth 200 gp and 100 gp, respectively, and each weighs 50 lbs. The values given would be tripled if sold to a scholar familiar with Mogreth and its culture. Enterprising PCs who can figure out a way of removing this furniture and bringing it back to their own time period deserve an experience point bonus.

17. Servants’ Quarters: This room housed the sorcerer’s servants, and also served as a kitchen. A hearth, containing a huge iron cauldron, is built into one wall, and next to it is a stone table that was used for food preparation. A door in the corner leads to a pantry (b), whose shelves once held dried meats, herbs, roots, and other ingredients. The frogfolk now use it to store their own foods – cuts of robber fly pickled in vinegar, preserved grubs and worms, and dried swamp tubers – all kept in stone jugs sealed with wax. A cupboard under the table still holds the original crockery and eating utensils.

Three pallets line the wall opposite the hearth. There is a 50% chance that the frogfolk cooks will be working here (use stats given above). Otherwise, they will be out gathering ingredients.

Fifth Floor:

18. Observatory: The fifth floor is a single domed room, measuring X feet across. The lizard man sorcerer was an avid astronomer and astrologer, and spent most of his time up here. The domed ceiling looks opaque from the outside, but is enchanted to be transparent on the inside. From up here, the PCs can see for miles in all directions, and the lights of Urrug’gash will be faintly visible. The only furniture here is a battered wooden desk and chair. The desk is covered with old ink stains, and several scrawled notes (when the sorcerer forgot parchment). Antonius, after studying the notes, will refuse to leave this room until he can copy them. If pressed, he will claim that the scholar who wrote them was a genius.

There are two frogman guards here at all times (AC 6, HD 2, hp 11 each, MV 90' (30'), #AT 1 weapon, D 1d6, Save F2, ML 7, AL C). They are armed with short swords, and will shout for help as soon as the PCs enter the room. Each of them has 1d6 dokhol on their persons.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

..and the now-buried sub-level...

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 pm

The Temple of Irrub (Lower Level):

The cultists of the Way of Irrub have excavated beneath the tower in order to reach the buried ruins of the temple that their leader had been directed to seek. Only the foundation remains, and its walls form the outline of the new underground temple. The chamber is roughly square-shaped, approximately 40 feet on a side with a smooth stone floor. The bottom three to four feet of the walls are made of dressed stone blocks, but everything above it is packed earth. A black stone slab, measuring six feet long and two feet wide, occupies the middle of the chamber, with a man-sized statue at each corner. Robed figures form a ring around the statues, while one frogman lies on the slab, unrestrained.

The cultists take no notice of the PCs unless they attack, the alarm has been sounded, or anyone approaches within 20 feet of the ceremony. If the PCs take the time to watch, the DM may read or paraphrase the following:

The crowd begins to chant and the pungent odour of incense fills the air, and a frogman wearing a dark red robe steps from the circle and approaches the slab. He shouts a few words, and plunges a shining blade deep into the prone frogman’s chest. The worshippers cheer as the blood runs down channels in the slab’s surface and drains into large holes in its surface. A loud crack drowns out the cheering, and the slab begins to shake. A pair of cultists drags the body away and toss it into a hole in the far corner.

In the meantime, numerous cracks appear in the slab’s surface, and the mob grows ecstatic. Finally, the slab crumbles loudly, and the red-robed frogman wades into the rubble and pulls out a shiny metal tablet, which he holds up in triumph to more cheering.

If the PCs study the statues, they will notice that they are carved to resemble frogfolk, with dozens of tongues and multiple eyes. This is the Way of Irrub’s representation of the Outer Beings incarnate. The statues are incredibly realistic, and when viewed from different angles they appear to be moving slowly (the unsettling nature of this realisation spooks the PCs enough to give them a -1 to hit while they remain in the temple).

The cult has been conducting regular sacrifices to the Outer Beings in order to open the slab to release the tablets. Now that the tablets have been retrieved, the cult will work quickly to decipher them and use the knowledge to further their own aims. If the PCs have not yet intervened, now would be a good time to do so. A successful INT check will identify the tablets as being very similar to the ones that activated the time-travel device (they are, in fact, the exact same ones), or Antonius could make a remark to the same effect. Provided the PCs have not drawn attention to themselves and the alarm has not been raised, they can gain a surprise attack against the cultists (+1 bonus to roll).

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks, those descriptions were exactly what I needed!

I've finished the Tower level 1 (images updated above), and started level 2. Let me know what you think - if you want any changes or additions. After that I'll start on the ancient tower.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:59 am

Here is level 2!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Previous

Return to 2300 BC