[Nation] Grondheim

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Re: [Nation] Grondheim

Postby RobJN » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:02 pm

Another link, this one to Thorn's account of the workings of Bellerophon colony's Well of Souls, by which an iteration of a consciousness-shard is fused with a soulbound construct's organo/technomagical shell:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1363&p=74263#p74197
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sturm » Fri May 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Posting here a piece of discussion on Kristallac/Koskatep/Kundrak between me and RonJN as it will be relevant fof Grondheim:
RobJN:
We know, since this level is "higher up" than Kristallac, that it came to be long after that city was buried. Is it possible that these Dark Fey (the duke and his entourage) were exiled from Kristallac at its height, and have been seeking to return there to retrieve/awaken its secrets? It would be an interesting twist that the PCs would need the aid of the Dark Fey in order to activate or discover whatever secrets may be buried in Kristallac
STURM:
Good idea, I've added an hint here and in the history of 1664 BC. We'll have to see in Kristallac what this could be...Note that I wrote in the original issue #1 that the dark fairies did not know of Ixion's temple at the time of their arrival and Elienor indeed discovered it only a thousand years ago. But the Queen of Grondheim knew of it and probably did not want to share this knowledge with Elienor.. That could be the reason why she exiled the dark fairies. Maybe she defeated Elienor somehow or tricked her into searching Ashira's tomb somewhere else in the multiverse.
That would also explain why the dark fairies in 1664 BC did not know of Ashira's tomb.
Where is now the Queen of Grondheim? Could she be now a prisoner of the Ice Queen/Elienor?
I'll copy all this discussion in the Grondheim thread to avoid it being lost...

Relevant History from issue 1 of Threshold magazine:
2.504 BC: The Inti, lead by the church of Ixion, occupy the ruins and rebuild the city of Koskatepetl.
2.379 BC: The Queen of Grondheim conquers the city, renaming it Krystallac. Just a few years later sidhe priests discover the existence of the inner temple and begin a century long negotiation with the Sollux and the Brutemen below to gain access to the artifact.
2.282 BC: As the Queen grows impatient about the unwillingness of Ixion to compromise, she sends her best troops to open the temple. Inti troops soon attack the place, and Taymora intervenes shortly thereafter. This is the beginning of the War of the Empires, or the War of Southern Grondheim, that will last decades and will devastate the region. Mogreth intervenes as well a few years later.
2.080 BC: In a time of crisis in Grondheim, Taymora, and Intua, lizardmen and troglodytes escaped from the Mogreth occupy Krystallac and keep it for a hundred years.
1.976 BC: After a long siege Taymora conquers Krystallac and renames it Kosmoteiros. Nyx knows about Ixion’s artifact but rather than try to steal or destroy it she decides to exploit the magical aura of the place to build her own strongest artifact that will bring fulfillment of her Dream.
1.777 BC: To prevent Kosmoteiros from falling into the hands of Thanatos, the priests of Nyx destroy the city with a terrible earthquake. Thousands die and the place is abandoned for many years as seismic activity increases in the area.
1.664 BC: After the destruction of Taymora, fairies of the Unseelie court take possession of the place and try to use the Starlake, but do not know of the hidden temple of Ixion below.
1.597 BC: Lord Keiros, a Tal nosferatu and follower of Nyx, conquers Koskatep from the dark fairies. Vampiric followers of Thanatos attack several times but are defeated.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby RobJN » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Sturm wrote:Posting here a piece of discussion on Kristallac/Koskatep/Kundrak between me and RonJN as it will be relevant fof Grondheim:
RobJN:
We know, since this level is "higher up" than Kristallac, that it came to be long after that city was buried. Is it possible that these Dark Fey (the duke and his entourage) were exiled from Kristallac at its height, and have been seeking to return there to retrieve/awaken its secrets? It would be an interesting twist that the PCs would need the aid of the Dark Fey in order to activate or discover whatever secrets may be buried in Kristallac
STURM:
Good idea, I've added an hint here and in the history of 1664 BC. We'll have to see in Kristallac what this could be...Note that I wrote in the original issue #1 that the dark fairies did not know of Ixion's temple at the time of their arrival and Elienor indeed discovered it only a thousand years ago. But the Queen of Grondheim knew of it and probably did not want to share this knowledge with Elienor.. That could be the reason why she exiled the dark fairies. Maybe she defeated Elienor somehow or tricked her into searching Ashira's tomb somewhere else in the multiverse.
That would also explain why the dark fairies in 1664 BC did not know of Ashira's tomb.
Where is now the Queen of Grondheim? Could she be now a prisoner of the Ice Queen/Elienor?
I'll copy all this discussion in the Grondheim thread to avoid it being lost...

Relevant History from issue 1 of Threshold magazine:
2.504 BC: The Inti, lead by the church of Ixion, occupy the ruins and rebuild the city of Koskatepetl.
2.379 BC: The Queen of Grondheim conquers the city, renaming it Krystallac. Just a few years later sidhe priests discover the existence of the inner temple and begin a century long negotiation with the Sollux and the Brutemen below to gain access to the artifact.
2.282 BC: As the Queen grows impatient about the unwillingness of Ixion to compromise, she sends her best troops to open the temple. Inti troops soon attack the place, and Taymora intervenes shortly thereafter. This is the beginning of the War of the Empires, or the War of Southern Grondheim, that will last decades and will devastate the region. Mogreth intervenes as well a few years later.
2.080 BC: In a time of crisis in Grondheim, Taymora, and Intua, lizardmen and troglodytes escaped from the Mogreth occupy Krystallac and keep it for a hundred years.
1.976 BC: After a long siege Taymora conquers Krystallac and renames it Kosmoteiros. Nyx knows about Ixion’s artifact but rather than try to steal or destroy it she decides to exploit the magical aura of the place to build her own strongest artifact that will bring fulfillment of her Dream.
1.777 BC: To prevent Kosmoteiros from falling into the hands of Thanatos, the priests of Nyx destroy the city with a terrible earthquake. Thousands die and the place is abandoned for many years as seismic activity increases in the area.
1.664 BC: After the destruction of Taymora, fairies of the Unseelie court take possession of the place and try to use the Starlake, but do not know of the hidden temple of Ixion below.
1.597 BC: Lord Keiros, a Tal nosferatu and follower of Nyx, conquers Koskatep from the dark fairies. Vampiric followers of Thanatos attack several times but are defeated.

Been doing quite a bit of brainstorming with Chimpman on some of these details, Sturm, and I've been exploring some options for the layout of the capital city of Gondheim.

I was initially inspired by those huge crystals that were found growing in a mine in Mexico. The names of some of those caverns are simply too evocative not to use: "The Queen's Eye." "The Candle Cave." "The Cave of Swords." Perhaps greatest of all? "The Ice Palace." :mrgreen: :twisted:

I envision Krystallac, at its height as resembling something like the Emerald City in Oz, but with different districts "grown" of different types of gemstone/crystal. The caverns in which those huge crystals grow in Mexico was originally filled with water, which the crystals need to grow. Since fey breathe water, do you think it would be too far off to have parts of Krystallac submerged (if not in the 'present' of the Megadungeon continuity, then at times in the city's past)? I just remembered, you've got the waterfall from the Kosmoterios level's Starlake falling straight through the center of the Krystallac level!

The "ruins," would, I think, only contain the first few floors of some of the biggest of the sky-touching crystal towers, the streets littered with cracked husks of the upper stories, or swathes of jagged remains whee towers shattered outright when they fell. Once sealed when the Mogreth buried the city to build their own (hmm, windows of which might be scavenged from the ruined Krystallac towers?), what if some portions of the city started to grow again? The haphazard angles of this "new" growth would serve to illustrate the city's fall and partial rebirth as something very much in touch with Chaos.

These are just some initial thoughts, as I'm not sure if you've developed anything this deep yet or not...

Always interested in your feedback. Does any of this work for you? Not work? Please let me know!
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:12 pm

With the whole focus on crystals in this region, have you considered adding Krysts or other earth elementals as part of the population (visitors, or enslaved elementals)? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:21 pm

Havard wrote:With the whole focus on crystals in this region, have you considered adding Krysts or other earth elementals as part of the population (visitors, or enslaved elementals)? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

-Havard

That's an angle I hadn't really thought of, Havard.... I'm not well versed in extra planar goodies (never got up to Companion levels, as a player or DM!). I'll have to read up. It could very well be that they aided in construction of the city (or hurried along its fall!), and some are still trapped therein.

Another motif I'd like to mess around with is the use of light and reflections. As the Dark Fairy level was full of "time slips," I think this level could do something similar, when viewing reflections in the crystalline walls. Differing light sources would reveal glimpses of the city during the three different Troll Queens' reigns.*
Candle light, torch light, light-based magic, lantern light.... etc.

*oh, did I type that out loud? :x :twisted:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sturm » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:15 pm

All interesting, I believe these ideas will be used :)
Note however that Kristallac and the capital of Grondheim should be two different locations. Kristallac should be an almost secret location at the time of Grondheim, or at least a sacred place whose exact location should not be widely known.
I don't know where Chimpman planned to place the capital of Grondheim, but I had the impression it should be somewhere on the southern edge of the lake in Northern Grondheim, where eventually the Broken Lands will come to me.
I thought Southern Grondheim was instead an are conquered at a later time, but I could be wrong..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Sturm wrote:All interesting, I believe these ideas will be used :)
Note however that Kristallac and the capital of Grondheim should be two different locations. Kristallac should be an almost secret location at the time of Grondheim, or at least a sacred place whose exact location should not be widely known.
I don't know where Chimpman planned to place the capital of Grondheim, but I had the impression it should be somewhere on the southern edge of the lake in Northern Grondheim, where eventually the Broken Lands will come to me.

Dead on the money there Sturm. Those are my initial thoughts, although it is becoming apparent to me (through our brainstorming sessions) that Krystallac is going to be a very important location for the Troll Queen. She probably won't make it her capital... I'm not even sure her capital will be on the Prime Material Plane... but it is turning out to be a linchpin location in some of her high level plots and schemes.

Sturm wrote:I thought Southern Grondheim was instead an are conquered at a later time, but I could be wrong..

I'm still not sure how this is going to work out, but my initial feeling is that Northern Grondheim was essentially the land of the giants, and this is where the Troll Queen comes in and first consolidates her power base. Southern Grondheim (while it still has giant populations) I see as a much more wild place... probably somewhere that fey are more commonplace. That may have been less of a conquest for the Troll Queen, and more of a diplomatic alliance/assimilation.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:28 am

I've been working on some ideas for Yuri Molotov and stumbled across an idea that might be useful in 2300 BC. Rugalov Keep (formerly the Aerodrome of the Order of the White Drake) was supposedly built on top of a portal to the Plain of Air - something the order used to good effect with their flying mounts.

I've mapped the location (I haven't updated the map online yet) in 2300 BC and it falls in Southern Grondheim, somewhere south of Tursh and Zargash near the border of the Frontierlands.

I'm not sure what this site might be in 2300 BC, but I'm sure we can find some use for it.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Previous

Return to 2300 BC