[Mystara 2300 BC] Alphatia

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Re: [Mystara 2300 BC] Alphatia

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:23 pm

Agreed. I would also suggest we mine canon for all the info on the Yanifey before going too much further. I think DotE is the only real source.

However, I did find this thread in the HW section.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:48 pm

I'd completely forgotten that discussion thread! (It was almost 3 years ago? Wow!)

I never did get around to looking into native Patagonians, although some quick browsing on Google has me very intrigued about them being a possible cultural inspiration as well as the Yup'ik.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:25 pm

:-)

The Piazza is rapidly approaching the point where it has so much information that it could achieve sentience, and become an oracle.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:The Piazza is rapidly approaching the point where it has so much information that it could achieve sentience, and become an oracle.

ThePiazza 9000: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it. I know that you and Ashtagon were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:01 am

ripvanwormer wrote:I think this conversation is going in an interesting direction, balancing canon with ideas from fans, but I thought I'd point to Eldersphinx's work on pre-Alphatian Alphatia in case it had slipped anyone's mind.

Ok, I'm going back through these entries in a little more detail, and these are my initial thoughts:

Ymathra - These are Taymoran descendants, so they wouldn't be on Alphatia in BC 2300 (and probably not until some time after BC 1750 or so).

Zaanidon - This is a human nation that has contact with the elemental planes of Water and Air, and deals with extra planar entities such as djinn. I would move these folks - perhaps have the cover the western portion of Alphatia. This would give us some conflict with the Ymathra once they arrive, but it also gives these folks a greater access to water.

Treadan City-States - Again, these folks probably aren't around in BC 2300. If they are related to the Mineans, then I'm guessing they could arrive on Alphatia around BC 1000 - which might make them contemporary colonists of that land who eventually loose out to the Alphers.

Firsthive - I've always thought of the hivebrood as being dominant on Skothar (and perhaps portions of Davania), but there could have definitely been a hive on Alphatia as well. This hive might just have been established in BC 2300, so the landscape might not be a blasted wasteland (as described by eldersphinx)... at least not yet. We have a little over 1000 years for the hivebrood to really change their environment before the Alphers come on the scene.

Strifelanders (Bellisaria) - These folks could have remained as described for centuries. Not sure I would make any changes here.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the cultures that eldersphinx wrote up?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:27 pm

The first thought that comes to mind is that the gigantic mutant broodlings mentioned by Eldersphinx could still lurk in caverns underneath Foresthome. Maybe (picking up the other thread of a possible first, failed dwarven effort to colonise the Kerothar Mountains) they were "discovered" centuries ago, and the surviving dwarves hastily sealed off the caves - and never told a soul about it.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:11 am

We've got a new post from Bruce on Randel... and it might just tie in with what we've been talking about:

A curious geological feature strikes first-time visitors. Seen from an airship at a high altitude, a pattern of mesas makes the land look as if it were covered with giant bubbles. These formations are arid, porous, and filled with caverns. Rocky spires tower above the larger ones, like giant spires. Seen from the land, the mesas' flat tops become more revealing as to their fauna. With some patience and a bit of luck, one may observe a giant, bat-winged creature taking off in search of a meal. Although originally called randels (a play on the word "roundel,") they became better known as dragon crags. This most curious topography brought about the creation of this realm and its social makeup.

Could these curious geological features actually be the remnants of the now abandoned hivebrood layers. It seems that in the modern era dragons have take over these caverns, but could they have been originally built by the hivebrood. Hmmm... here's a scary thought... what would happen if the hivebrood got a hold of dragon hosts... I'm wondering if that could be the basis for the hatred between the Alphatians and dragonkind. Perhaps the original beasts that the Alphers fought were some kind of hivebrood-dragon, and the animosity created by these conflicts was transferred to all dragonkind.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Freedom92 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Can you please tell me what the Hivebrood and these hive based creatures are? I've been recently looking around this neck of the woods for ideas for mutants for my Post-GRoF campaign and hive critters sound like a good random thing to add, mind filling me in?
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby Chimpman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Freedom92 wrote:Can you please tell me what the Hivebrood and these hive based creatures are? I've been recently looking around this neck of the woods for ideas for mutants for my Post-GRoF campaign and hive critters sound like a good random thing to add, mind filling me in?

I believe that Hivebrood were in one of the Creature Catalogs (MMC?). Essentially they are creatures that need a host (most often humanoid) in order to develop. You can find more information by doing a search at the Vaults for hivebrood. Hope that helps!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Hivebrood were in AC 9 (Creature Catalogue). I don't think they ever appeared in any modules, though.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 pm

FWIW, my ideas for the Human Culture that is Definitely Not Carnifex are nearly solidified. They should have a presence in the northwest of Alphatia around BC 2300, or if not shortly thereafter.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:06 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:Hivebrood were in AC 9 (Creature Catalogue). I don't think they ever appeared in any modules, though.

Not a module as such, but they featured in "Of Nests and Nations" in Dungeon Magazine #13.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Previous

Return to 2300 BC