Populations in the Ancient World

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderator: Seer of Yhog

Populations in the Ancient World

Postby Chimpman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:00 pm

The year is BC 2300. 700 years after the Great Rain of Fire. 100 years after the Vulcania super volcano.

What do population numbers look like at this time? I've never been really good at figuring this kind of thing out, so I'd like to get some input from the community.

Let's start with the dwarves and gnomes. We know that they migrated into the area circa BC 2500. How many are there?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Populations in the Ancient World

Postby night_druid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Probably impossible to gauge the exact number. I imagine, being underground-dwelling, dwarves and gnomes were probably less affected than other races, so their populations might have actually surpassed elves & humans at this particular time.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 am

Hi, that's a tricky, but very interesting, question, which answer depends on a lot of variables :) First of all, I consider Mystara as big as Earth, with slightly less than 60 millions square miles of land area, 115 millions square miles underwater and some more square miles in polar areas.. the HW would around 14 millions square miles of land area and 26 square miles underwater. (see viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8327&hilit=circumference+equator).
All that matters to calculate a consistent population density of the planet.
The human population of Earth is estimated from 5 to 20 millions before agriculture, then 100 millions in 500BC, 300 millions in AD 0, then down 30% for plagues, barbaric invasions and the fall of the roman empire, then rising to over 400 millions in 1340 but down to 350 millions after the Black Death, half a billion around 1550AC, 600 millions in 1700, 900 millions in 1800, 1600 millions in 1900, 2 billions around 1925 and then to a meteoric rise up to over 7 billions now.

That's also important because if Mystara during Blackmoor times was a highly developed technomagical society we should expect a high population density, but the cataclysms you mentioned could have killed up to 90% of the total population.

Now the population density of Mystara is another problem... Zendrolion's Mystaran Demography Book gives a figure of 14 millions inhabitans, humans and not, from Wendar to the Sea of Dread and from Sind to Thyatis, in a surface of slightly more of 1.1 million square miles. The KW could be a bit more populated than the rest of the world, so let's assume an average of 10 intelligent creatures per square miles in all Mystara (the KW is 12,5). That would give a total mystaran population of 600 millions intelligent creatures (including humans, demihumans, humanoids, faeries, lupins, rakastas and other intelligent beings). A figure I think it's consistent with a world that has many developed nations (of renaissance and "late empire" level) and magical healing (that should greatly limits the effects of many plagues).

The Hollow World should have a lower population density, maybe half, but still it could have up to 70-100 millions intelligent inhabitants.

There are also underwater creatures and kingdoms.. let's assume that in the sea the population density is much lower, maybe one tenth of the surface, yet the mystaran oceans could still be the home of 100-120 millions intelligent creatures, and another 25 millions in the Hollow World seas.

There are Aerial creatures too (like faedorne, faeries, cloud giants and air creatures), and I think they could amount up to 5-10 millions intelligent beings between the outer and hollow world, even with a very low population density.

To conclude, what could have been the total population at the height of Blackmoor times? With a highly technomagical society I would go up to 3 billions... if the cataclysm, the vulcanian supervolcano and the wasting killed 90% of the population, in 2300BC the Outer World population could have been around 300-350 millions, a bit more than half of "modern" Mystara.
Add at least, IMHO, 50 millions intelligent creatures in the oceans and maybe the same figure in the Hollow World (considering that three of the bigger and more populated empires, Milenia, Nithia and Azca, and many other cultures were not there yet).

Ok, that's the first day since long time with less work and I'm exploiting it.. :D
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 am

About dwarves and gnomes, even more tricky :)
"Modern" population of dwarves and gnomes should be 900,000 in the KW, 75-100.000 in Alphatia, at least 10.000 in Norwold and then there are other unofficial dwarven populations in Skothar, Davania and Brun...
In the Known World area of 2300BC I'd go with 500,000, at least in The Shimmering Lands. Probably much less right after the cataclysm and during the migrations (200,000?) much more at the height of Blackmoor times (2-3 millions?)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Very cool Sturm! Thank you, I think this analysis was just the kind of thing I was looking for.

These are numbers that I can definitely wrap my head around. <scampers off to tweak the Shimmering Lands Gaz> :mrgreen:
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Sturms numbers sound reasonable to me :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to 2300 BC