Q&A with Frank

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Re: Q&A with Frank

Postby ExTSR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 pm

stebehil wrote:I´m curious about the german translations of Basic D&D back in the 80ies. As far as I have read, you were involved in that process (and still had corrected typoscripts of some translated products a few years ago, as I just found on the Acaeum). Can you tell us/me about the translations process and the german company involved?

Greets.

French and German were TSR's first attempts at non-English language products. The French process began with Moldvay's D&D edition and related adventures. It was revised/expanded, and German added, in the early "red box" days. My ex-wife (now Penny Williams) knew sufficient German and Gamer to handle several early manuscript translations for TSR International (VP Andre Moullin, a French citizen), and I still have some of the original mss.

I don't recall what European companies were involved. However, Acaeum member Javier Murillo (Madrid, Spain) has become the top expert on international editions of AD&D 1e & 2e, BECMI, and other D&D products. He would have lots of accurate info, and samples of everything. I only have 30-year-old memories.

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.
ExTSR
Troll

Re: Q&A with Frank

Postby stebehil » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Frank,

thank you for your super-fast reply. I´ll see what I can dig up beyond what I´ve already gotten.
stebehil
Bugbear

Previous

Return to Aquaria