How many Greyhawk deities fit in Aquaria/Empyrea?

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How many Greyhawk deities fit in Aquaria/Empyrea?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm wondering how many of the deities worshipped in the Flanaess would be appropriate in an Aquaria campaign.

I just saw this in the Empyrea Q&A
ExTSR wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:39 pm
> how many Gods did you ever develop for Empyrea?

Let's back up a few steps.

At the foundation, my premise for the Aquaria / Empyrea campaign is this:

A world is not the sum of its religions, indigenous creatures, and game mechanics.
A world is what YOU put into it -- the depth of the roles, the complexity of the society & environment, and so forth.
All should be expressions of your group's overall preferences, selections made consciously... not a buffet that you have to consume in its entirety.

Deities? Bring your own.
<snip />
Rather than "bring my own" deities to Aquaria/Empyria, I'd like to bring some (probably not all) of the deities over from the Flanaess, in order to create a sense that Aquaria is part of Oerth.

I have a similar How many Greyhawk deities fit in the Sundered Empire? topic in the Chainmail forum. So I'll be looking at the same sort of process for both topics. I'm looking at the Living Greyhawk Deities v.2.0 document for the other topic, and would look at it for this one too.

IIRC there was some stuff in the RPGA modules that Frank created that gave connectivity between Aquaria and Oerth. The New Infinities product and any new stuff that Frank puts out probably won't have that stuff, so I'm probably going to want to extrapolate from that early version.

If there are any racial groups that have travelled from Aquaria to Oerik or from Oerik to Aquaria, I figured they could take culture (including worship of gods) from one place to the other.

I'm also wondering if there are specific mentions of any Greyhawk deities in any of the RPGA stuff. (If Jennell Jaquays added anything in the adaptation she made, I would be equally interested in looking at that.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: How many Greyhawk deities fit in Aquaria/Empyrea?

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:39 pm
If there are any racial groups that have travelled from Aquaria to Oerik or from Oerik to Aquaria, I figured they could take culture (including worship of gods) from one place to the other.
The background in R4 Doc's Island had it that a group of mixed Flannae and Oeridian stock, the "Aquaeridians," left the region of the Gull Cliffs in the Great Kingdom in 522 O.R., settling the Empyrea region. So yes, I'd expect them to continue worshiping a mix of Oerid and Flan gods.

Meanwhile, elves and other demihumans are supposed to have migrated from Empyrea to the Flanaess, so they probably worship the same nonhuman pantheons.
(If Jennell Jaquays added anything in the adaptation she made, I would be equally interested in looking at that.)
She mentions the Finnish god Ahto. From page 3: "The Lawful Good faith ascribed to by the human residents of inland Empyrea is referred to as the church to allow the DM to use his or her own campaign deities. The coastal village of Shell worships Ahto, the Finnish sea god (from DEITIES & DEMI-GODS™ Cyclopedia) and the Evil forces derive their powers from a variety of Evil deities, including the four rulers of Elemental Evil."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:48 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:02 pm
Big Mac wrote:
The background in R4 Doc's Island had it that a group of mixed Flannae and Oeridian stock, the "Aquaeridians," left the region of the Gull Cliffs in the Great Kingdom in 522 O.R., settling the Empyrea region. So yes, I'd expect them to continue worshiping a mix of Oerid and Flan gods.

Meanwhile, elves and other demihumans are supposed to have migrated from Empyrea to the Flanaess, so they probably worship the same nonhuman pantheons.
Thanks Rip.

That's a nice big collection of deities to start working from! :cool:
ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:02 pm
Big Mac wrote:
(If Jennell Jaquays added anything in the adaptation she made, I would be equally interested in looking at that.)
She mentions the Finnish god Ahto. From page 3: "The Lawful Good faith ascribed to by the human residents of inland Empyrea is referred to as the church to allow the DM to use his or her own campaign deities. The coastal village of Shell worships Ahto, the Finnish sea god (from DEITIES & DEMI-GODS™ Cyclopedia) and the Evil forces derive their powers from a variety of Evil deities, including the four rulers of Elemental Evil."
That sounds good. I'll have to look out for that one going live as a Print on Demand product on DMs Guild.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:59 pm

Thanks. I'll go mine that for information on deties.

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 am

There is a dragon that is related to Bahamut in R1.

Return to “Aquaria”