Radoc: Aquaria/Forgotten Realms crossover NPC

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Radoc: Aquaria/Forgotten Realms crossover NPC

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:49 pm

I just found out that Jennell Jaquays put a crossover NPC into FR5 The Savage Frontier!

The NPC is an archmage called Radoc who hails from New Empyrea on Oerth! That's the Aquaria subsetting!

Here is what Forgotten Realms Wiki has on Radoc:
Forgotten Realms Wiki wrote:Radoc, also known as "The One" and Doc, was a powerful archmage dwelling in the Star Mounts in the High Forest around 1358 DR.

The mysterious charismatic figure known as Radoc gave the appearance of a peaceful yet powerful healer, seldom seen traveling yet known to give aid to those in need, such as to the folk of Loudwater. What wasn't known was that Radoc was had been exiled from another Prime Material Plane.

He had been marked with a glowing sigil by the titan Sylla.

His goal was to return to his home, New Empyrea, as its master. He slowly built a power base in the Star Mounts, using tribes of mongrelmen for muscle while purchasing all of the mithril that the orcs of the Spine of the World could mine.

His faith was that of Tangg, an other-planar power.

Background

Radoc was a character in the Egg of the Phoenix modules for the New Empyrea setting.
What did Radoc get up to in the Aquaria adventures?

What sort of trouble could he cause back on Aquaria with a bunch of mongrelmen and a ton of mithril?

What was Jennell Jaquays mechanism for moving Radoc from New Empyrea over to Faerun? Was that a one of event or could other Aquarian NPCs arrive in the Star Mounts?

What sort of mechanism was Radoc hoping to use to return to Oerth? Does he actually have a plan formulated in FR5?

Do you think he would fall in with PCs that knew about spelljamming or planewalking? Or do you think he would work agaisnt them and try to steal their secrets?

Is Radoc a good way to move Forgotten Realms PCs over to New Empyrea?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Radoc: Aquaria/Forgotten Realms crossover NPC

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:49 pm
This is Doc from R4 Doc's Island by Frank Mentzer. In R4, he's the secret ruler of the Northending alliance (the lawful good faction). He's said to be over 150 years old, and it's believed he personally witnessed the disappearance of the city of Empyrea. He lives on a secluded island (Doc's Island).

In I12, Jennell Jaquays changed Doc's background so that there was actually a massive twist late in the storyline: Doc has been corrupted to evil. He didn't just witness the disappearance of Empyrea, he caused it. He believed that if he aided the forces of Evil he would then be able to depose their master, who Jaquays named Krellokk the Tangg-lord, and impose his own, more benevolent brand of authoritarianism. Although on the "bad guy" side, he ultimately fights to keep the Egg of the Phoenix from falling into the hands of the Princes of Elemental Evil.

The epilogue in I12 advises the DM to let the players decide Doc's fate. Although he's evil, he did help in the fight to save Aquaria. It says he will not meekly accept a death judgment, but might accept banishment as punishment.

In The Savage Frontier, it's revealed that Doc has changed his name to Radoc and apparently the PCs from I12 banished him from Oerth.
What sort of trouble could he cause back on Aquaria with a bunch of mongrelmen and a ton of mithril?
Probably a military assault on Northending or other communities.
What was Jennell Jaquays mechanism for moving Radoc from New Empyrea over to Faerun?
The climax of I12 takes place in a pocket realm in the Negative Energy Plane, which explodes, expelling all survivors into the Ethereal Plane or other planes of existence. Doc might have been thrown directly to Toril by the explosion, or found his way there on his own after being told by the PCs that he wasn't welcome to return to Oerth.
What sort of mechanism was Radoc hoping to use to return to Oerth? Does he actually have a plan formulated in FR5?
Nothing is specified in FR5. Doc doesn't have any planar travel spells in his description apart from Dimension Door, but he definitely has knowledge of the locations of planar gates in I12, including a planar nexus known as the Terminal of Planes. If you wanted him to use a spelljammer, he could.
Do you think he would fall in with PCs that knew about spelljamming or planewalking? Or do you think he would work agaisnt them and try to steal their secrets?
He's an epic-level cleric/wizard and over 200 years old. There probably aren't many secrets the PCs know that he doesn't. But he has a history of befriending good characters and betraying them. Keep in mind that he thinks of himself as the good guy, with Aquaria's best interests in mind.
If you wanted him to be.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:15 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:28 pm
Big Mac wrote:
This is Doc from R4 Doc's Island by Frank Mentzer. In R4, he's the secret ruler of the Northending alliance (the lawful good faction). He's said to be over 150 years old, and it's believed he personally witnessed the disappearance of the city of Empyrea. He lives on a secluded island (Doc's Island).

In I12, Jennell Jaquays changed Doc's background so that there was actually a massive twist late in the storyline: Doc has been corrupted to evil. He didn't just witness the disappearance of Empyrea, he caused it. He believed that if he aided the forces of Evil he would then be able to depose their master, who Jaquays named Krellokk the Tangg-lord, and impose his own, more benevolent brand of authoritarianism. Although on the "bad guy" side, he ultimately fights to keep the Egg of the Phoenix from falling into the hands of the Princes of Elemental Evil.

The epilogue in I12 advises the DM to let the players decide Doc's fate. Although he's evil, he did help in the fight to save Aquaria. It says he will not meekly accept a death judgment, but might accept banishment as punishment.

In The Savage Frontier, it's revealed that Doc has changed his name to Radoc and apparently the PCs from I12 banished him from Oerth.
Wow. That is a big plot twist between R4 and I12.

I suppose that, if a GM wanted to start a campaign on Toril and move it to Oerth, they might want to build an NPC group of adventurers, to replace the PCs that carried out the I12 adventure elements that got Doc sent over to Toril.

And I suppose that, if the GM didn't want Radoc/Doc to be evil, he could make an NPC group on Aquaria who framed Doc and had him banished (perhaps to get him out of Krellockk the Tangg-lord's way).
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Probably a military assault on Northending or other communities.
Sounds good.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
What was Jennell Jaquays mechanism for moving Radoc from New Empyrea over to Faerun?
The climax of I12 takes place in a pocket realm in the Negative Energy Plane, which explodes, expelling all survivors into the Ethereal Plane or other planes of existence. Doc might have been thrown directly to Toril by the explosion, or found his way there on his own after being told by the PCs that he wasn't welcome to return to Oerth.
Sounds like that element of I12 could somehow fit into a Planescape campaign.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Nothing is specified in FR5. Doc doesn't have any planar travel spells in his description apart from Dimension Door, but he definitely has knowledge of the locations of planar gates in I12, including a planar nexus known as the Terminal of Planes. If you wanted him to use a spelljammer, he could.
It sounds like the Terminal of Planes might be a more useful plot device to use in a Planescape campaign, than a Spelljammer campaign. :)
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
He's an epic-level cleric/wizard and over 200 years old. There probably aren't many secrets the PCs know that he doesn't. But he has a history of befriending good characters and betraying them. Keep in mind that he thinks of himself as the good guy, with Aquaria's best interests in mind.
Cleric/wizard, huh? Do we know anything about Tangg (the Outer Planar power that Doc/Radoc is worshipping)?

If Tangg isn't recognised as a deity in Faerûn, presumably Doc would need to build a stronghold and recruit enough followers to carry out the year-and-a-day ritual for bring a new deity into a crystal sphere, that was mentioned in CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook. :idea:

A temple or cathedral to Tangg might (once consecrated) be something that could be linked over to that Terminal of Planes. :idea:

But, if Radoc doesn't have any experience with spelljamming, that might give him access to a shortcut, where he could simply fly back to Oerth.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
If you wanted him to be.
Thanks!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Tangg is just a shortened name for Krellokk the Tangg-lord, the leader of Aquaria's evil faction ruling from Garythane. In R1-4, the evil faction is said to be an alliance of evil dragons and humans with no single named leader. Tangg was created for I12, but got very few details.

My theory is that he's Moloch, if only because he's a lawful evil power and Krellokk and Moloch almost rhyme.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 am

Big Mac wrote:
As I mentioned in the Shan Nikkoleth thread, according to the adventure Hellgate Keep by Steven E. Schend, Radoc led his mongrelman army to Hellgate Keep in 1367 after hearing of the death of the balor Grintharke, "his great enemy." While both Radoc and Grintharke were in I12 Egg of the Phoenix, they didn't interact and their native times are several hundred million years apart. So why did Radoc view Grintharke as his enemy?

It just occurred to me: there must have been a gate to Grintharke's time still active in Hellgate Keep. From there, Radoc could have used the Caves of Time to travel to his own time and lead his army against the Fortress of Northending, the stronghold of Empyrea's forces of good. While Grintharke ruled Hellgate Keep, Radoc couldn't access the gate. With the demon gone, Radoc could have made his way back to his homeworld to take revenge on those who banished him. If he hadn't died during the siege, that is.

If Shan Nikkoleth arrived through the same gate, he could have originated in Empyrea in another time (including the Pliocene Epoch, the Ice Age, or the present day) or arrived through the Terminal of Planes from another plane of existence, perhaps the undead-haunted demiplane of Sepulchre, which is tied to the Negative Energy Plane and contains a gate to the Nine Hells.
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:15 pm
I suppose that, if a GM wanted to start a campaign on Toril and move it to Oerth, they might want to build an NPC group of adventurers, to replace the PCs that carried out the I12 adventure elements that got Doc sent over to Toril.
Oh, I meant to reply to this. I12, like many 1st edition modules, includes a party of pregenerated PCs (in this case: Athelstan the paladin, Venada the cleric, Tristram the ranger, and Triladir the magic-user), so the DM could just use them.

Return to “Aquaria”