Jennel Jacquays' Additions

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Jennel Jacquays' Additions

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:29 am

Frank mentioned in the Empyrea announcement thread that the upcoming Empyrea would not include additions to setting from Jacquays presumably from that version of Egg of the Phoenix. So my question is: How different is the Jacquays version of Egg of the Phoenix compared to the older R series modules?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Jacquays Additions

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 pm

He didn't say it "would not" he said it "could not". Everything that Jennell Jaquays and Frank Mentzer wrote for TSR belongs to Wizards of the Coast and can not be used for copyright reasons. He is only allowed to use the pre-TSR and post-TSR material he has for the campaign setting.

He did however say that he wants her to do art. I don't know what the art deal was for anything in I12 Egg of the Phoenix, so I don't know if there are any old Aquaria pictures Jennell owns that she can rework.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Jacquays Additions

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:He didn't say it "would not" he said it "could not". Everything that Jennell Jaquays and Frank Mentzer wrote for TSR belongs to Wizards of the Coast and can not be used for copyright reasons. He is only allowed to use the pre-TSR and post-TSR material he has for the campaign setting.
Good point. I didn't really plan on going into the reasons why these elements were removed, but as you say they are probably mostly of legal reasons. Of course I also assume that Frank wants the new published version to be as close to his home campaign as he is allowed to make it.
He did however say that he wants her to do art. I don't know what the art deal was for anything in I12 Egg of the Phoenix, so I don't know if there are any old Aquaria pictures Jennell owns that she can rework.
I did notice that. I would love for that to happen. Jennell Jacquays is an amazing artist. I think an original piece, perhaps inspired by previous work or just completely new would be fantastic.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Jennel Jacquays' Additions

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:25 pm

R4 Doc's Island referred vaguely to an Evil army massing in 231 J.R. without naming a leader. A few centuries later a group of green dragons allied with evil humans formed a government near Garythane.

In I12 Egg of the Phoenix, Jacquays created the character "Krellokk the Tangg-lord" to be the leader of the Evil army in 231 J.R. (I12 removed all references to dates and connections to the World of Greyhawk, the 231 J.R. war is what Krellokk's campaign corresponds to). In I12, Krellokk is immortal (he's apparently undead) and remains the leader of the Evil forces in the present day (this is 565 J.R./1223 OR in R4, though again I12 doesn't include dates).

There are some notes on religion (including a mention of the Finnish god Ahto) in I12 that aren't in the original R series. I12 introduces the concept of Earthsblood, a "miracle substance" that's turned the sleepy villlage of Nimbortan into a boom town.

A powerful NPC, Doc, is purely lawful and good in R4, but I12 adds the twist that Doc has secretly turned to evil and now serves the Princes of Elemental Evil and Krellokk.

Return to “Aquaria”