Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:27 am

The Piazza set up an Aquaria forum, several years back, but there is now a lot of chatter about an Empyrea forum, so I have a question to ask about the "Empyrea in the room".

Image

Is this a name switch? Was this campaign setting ever called Aquaria? Or was it always supposed to be Empyrea, with the relationship between Empyrea (as a name) and Aquaria (as a place) being similar to the relationship of Greyhawk (as a name) and the Flanaess (as a place)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21157
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby Morfie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:21 am

Aquaria is the continent, and Empyrea is a country within that continent.

Perhaps a sub-forum under Aquaria would be appropriate?
User avatar
Morfie
Metamorph
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:48 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:30 am

Morfie wrote:Aquaria is the continent, and Empyrea is a country within that continent.

Perhaps a sub-forum under Aquaria would be appropriate?

Only if you think it's likely we'll be talking about other parts of Aquaria outside that subforum.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon
 
Posts: 2929
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 am

Typically, the forums here at The Piazza are named after the settings rather than the continents. I could see a number of subforums becoming possible here in the future, but that depends on how much discussion that will be happening. Also, it will be interesting to see how this project expands to see if there are any regions or other concepts that would lend themselves well to becoming subforums. I could see the player generated contents element possibly earning itself a subforum if it becomes popular enough.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
 
Posts: 16902
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:45 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Morfie wrote:Aquaria is the continent, and Empyrea is a country within that continent.

Perhaps a sub-forum under Aquaria would be appropriate?

Only if you think it's likely we'll be talking about other parts of Aquaria outside that subforum.


Well there is the "Nentir Vale and Nerath" thing. The Piazza named it's forum for that campaign setting "Nentir Vale" and WotC named their (now sadly deleted) forum "Nentir Vale and Nerath". And there was going to be an entire product line of gazetteers for parts of Nerath outside of Nentir Vale (but then WotC cancelled the 4e GAZ line).

So there was some information for Nerath, but we didn't change the name of the Nentir Vale forum. (And I've not seen a ton of topics tagged for the regions outside of Nentir Vale in that forum.)

IIRC, Empyrea is pretty much a continent spanning nation, so takes up most, if not all of Aquaria. So I'm not sure there would be much to discuss outside of a subforum. (And I'm still waiting for Aquaria/Empyrea to get to Level 4 forum status. That might actually be slower if we split the conversations up. :) )

We might have to wait until after the Kickstarter to see how Empyrea differs from previous Aquaria information. But if Frank's "no RPGA module stuff and no I12 Egg of the Phoenix" elevator pitch description is right, I would be expecting to see a description of Empyrea that was roughly similar to the original World of Greyhawk boxed set or the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21157
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby ExTSR » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Bigger picture:

Empyrea (realm)
Borderlands nearby N E S
West: Coast & Sea
Northeast (adjacent): the High Plateau, a lost-world thing, nearly inaccessible unless you can fly
Southeast (adjacent but beyond the Great Barrier Mountains): a hidden coastal area full of... aliens
North: Vast mountains headed for the pole
South: Vast forests/mix, tapering to a continental isthmus south (picture N/S America)

All stand ready for future products.

a. It's been called Aquaria for decades... but the nuance is fish/underwater, which is incorrect.
b. The new Title and all ensuring promos, web work, and more will emphasize Empyrea (and its 9 flavors/alternate realities, might have more tho)

F
User avatar
ExTSR
Troll
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: North Central USA

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Havard wrote:Typically, the forums here at The Piazza are named after the settings rather than the continents. I could see a number of subforums becoming possible here in the future, but that depends on how much discussion that will be happening. Also, it will be interesting to see how this project expands to see if there are any regions or other concepts that would lend themselves well to becoming subforums. I could see the player generated contents element possibly earning itself a subforum if it becomes popular enough.


I'm not even totally sure what that player generated content is going to be yet.

It could be that Frank is going to build an organised play campaign, similar to the RPGA's Living Greyhawk.

Or it could be that he wants to encourage people who want to run their own games, where Empyrea and Greyhawk come together or Empyrea is a standalone campaign setting...or something else*, can share their homebrew research.

* = *Cough* Aquariaspace *Cough*
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21157
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:48 pm

ExTSR wrote:Bigger picture:

Empyrea (realm)
Borderlands nearby N E S
West: Coast & Sea


This seems like the main play area to me. :)

ExTSR wrote:Northeast (adjacent): the High Plateau, a lost-world thing, nearly inaccessible unless you can fly


That sounds a bit similar to the Maltran Plateau, that the Living Jungle uses. The Living Jungle fanbase is fairly small, but they might be interested in raiding ideas from your High Plateau.

ExTSR wrote:Southeast (adjacent but beyond the Great Barrier Mountains): a hidden coastal area full of... aliens


Image

(Sadly, I couldn't find a picture of you doing the Ancient Aliens pose...and my photoshop skills are too weak.)

ExTSR wrote:North: Vast mountains headed for the pole


Oooh. So Aquaria is somewhere between the equator and the north pole then?

ExTSR wrote:South: Vast forests/mix, tapering to a continental isthmus south (picture N/S America)

All stand ready for future products.


Sounds fun. Are you planning to have a brief overview of these lands in the first product?

ExTSR wrote:a. It's been called Aquaria for decades... but the nuance is fish/underwater, which is incorrect.


I'm glad we didn't get it wrong. But I'm sad that I will probably have to remove the hidden easter egg in the Aquaria blurb.

ExTSR wrote:b. The new Title and all ensuring promos, web work, and more will emphasize Empyrea (and its 9 flavors/alternate realities, might have more tho)


9 alternate realities? That seems different to the Alternate Oerth's that Gary Gygax spoke about. But not much got published for those, so I'll be very interested to see what you come up with there.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21157
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby ExTSR » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:9 alternate realities? That seems different to the Alternate Oerth's that Gary Gygax spoke about. But not much got published for those, so I'll be very interested to see what you come up with there.

We're reaching out to the companies who produce the most popular RPGs.

We'd like to Partner and support their products, offering Empyrea as a common ground. We hope for notable customization of each Empyrea to fit the implications of the various systems. And even if we can't fully Partner for any reason, we'll still try to support them. This is central to the Loxley philosophy of Cooperate & Unify rather than Compete Ruthlessly me-first. (An unwritten code of this is already in place within the industry; companies don't get driven out or ground down, they just lose the races.)

An ideal end result uses multiple crosslinked websites for the 9 Worlds, promotion of Intro/Basic versions of each system, and an easy way to lessen the huge psych obstacle of learning a new game system AND setting simultaneously.

Ambitious and industry-wide; hoping that my high profile and ability to unite people may make it possible. We'll see. :)

F
User avatar
ExTSR
Troll
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: North Central USA

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:06 pm

ExTSR wrote:
Big Mac wrote:9 alternate realities? That seems different to the Alternate Oerth's that Gary Gygax spoke about. But not much got published for those, so I'll be very interested to see what you come up with there.

We're reaching out to the companies who produce the most popular RPGs.

We'd like to Partner and support their products, offering Empyrea as a common ground. We hope for notable customization of each Empyrea to fit the implications of the various systems. And even if we can't fully Partner for any reason, we'll still try to support them. This is central to the Loxley philosophy of Cooperate & Unify rather than Compete Ruthlessly me-first. (An unwritten code of this is already in place within the industry; companies don't get driven out or ground down, they just lose the races.)

An ideal end result uses multiple crosslinked websites for the 9 Worlds, promotion of Intro/Basic versions of each system, and an easy way to lessen the huge psych obstacle of learning a new game system AND setting simultaneously.

Ambitious and industry-wide; hoping that my high profile and ability to unite people may make it possible. We'll see. :)

F


There are a number of companies out there that have some sort of licence, so I suppose that even if you can't partner on your terms, you can do something that fits into their existing licences (as a fallback position).

It will be fun to see where you eventually go with this.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21157
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby ExTSR » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:27 pm

We're in discussions with 2 non-D&D stand-alone publishers.
All D&D "clones" can be handled under the OGL, except for Content they reserve (never much); ditto 5e, 1e/2e, BECMI, and PF.
Since I know all the publishers pesonally (Goodman, Troll Lords, Frog God, Kenzer, Paizo, others) we'll work it out. :)

An interesting part will be building the space interface (to StarFinder & Traveller), if and when. ;>

F
User avatar
ExTSR
Troll
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: North Central USA

Re: Should the Aquaria forum be the Empyrea forum?

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:15 am

ExTSR wrote:We're in discussions with 2 non-D&D stand-alone publishers.
All D&D "clones" can be handled under the OGL, except for Content they reserve (never much); ditto 5e, 1e/2e, BECMI, and PF.
Since I know all the publishers pesonally (Goodman, Troll Lords, Frog God, Kenzer, Paizo, others) we'll work it out. :)

An interesting part will be building the space interface (to StarFinder & Traveller), if and when. ;>

F


Troy Daniels, who looks after Starjammer, might be interested in the space element of Empyrea too. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21157
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK


Return to Aquaria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests