Greyhawk Grognard's Aquaria on Greyhawk Map

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Greyhawk Grognard's Aquaria on Greyhawk Map

Postby Havard » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Nick posted about this map here:

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:I really love the Greyhawk Grognard blog not only for the above but aloso for his Beyond the Flannaess maps and for his placement of Aquaria

I am sure I have seen this at some point, but thanks for reminding me about this map. I really like this placement, but not being any kind of expert on Greyhawk I don't know how that fits with previously established material or Frank's ideas for Aquaria.

What are other people's thoughts on this map?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Greyhawk Grognard's Aquaria on Greyhawk Map

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 am

Havard wrote:Nick posted about this map here:

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:I really love the Greyhawk Grognard blog not only for the above but aloso for his Beyond the Flannaess maps and for his placement of Aquaria

I am sure I have seen this at some point, but thanks for reminding me about this map. I really like this placement, but not being any kind of expert on Greyhawk I don't know how that fits with previously established material or Frank's ideas for Aquaria.

What are other people's thoughts on this map?

It's a logical way to fit it in.

It doesn't tie in exactly with the canon maps, but I guess it could be similar to the way that ships went from Europe looking for a route to Japan before discovering America.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 am

I think I prefer the original idea that Aquaria and the Flanaess are 5,000 miles apart. If you'd rather make them interact more, though, you might prefer to have them closer.

Frank Mentzer hints in this thread that the Empyrean continent extends from near the north pole to perhaps something equivalent in latitude to Central America.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:05 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:I think I prefer the original idea that Aquaria and the Flanaess are 5,000 miles apart. If you'd rather make them interact more, though, you might prefer to have them closer.

So do you think Greyhawk Grognard's maths is wrong here?

Is it possible to get Aquaria 5,000 miles away from the Flanaess without expanding the size of the globe?

ripvanwormer wrote:Frank Mentzer hints in this thread that the Empyrean continent extends from near the north pole to perhaps something equivalent in latitude to Central America.

People (and I'm not hinting at Frank when I say "people" - I mean in general) sometimes try to handwave this sort of geographical location stuff, but you can't really get away from it. Poles and equators do stuff that has in-character implications. :)

Perhaps the new Aquaria product will have a map that can be combined with the TSR map...although I'm not sure how Frank can get Darlene to suggest the 5,000 gap without showing the edge of the Flanaess. I guess I'll find out later.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ExTSR » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:Perhaps the new Aquaria product will have a map that can be combined with the TSR map...although I'm not sure how Frank can get Darlene to suggest the 5,000 gap without showing the edge of the Flanaess. I guess I'll find out later.

Got it, I'll tell Darlene.
Along with the two BigMaps we'll include a full pad of blue hex paper. Brilliant, Mac!

Pop in any time. :)
ExTSR
Troll

Postby nick_crenshaw82 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 pm

ExTSR wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Perhaps the new Aquaria product will have a map that can be combined with the TSR map...although I'm not sure how Frank can get Darlene to suggest the 5,000 gap without showing the edge of the Flanaess. I guess I'll find out later.

Got it, I'll tell Darlene.
Along with the two BigMaps we'll include a full pad of blue hex paper. Brilliant, Mac!

Pop in any time. :)

If Aquaria were on Oerth would you agree with the place of it as seen on Greyhawk Grognard's blog (link above).
nick_crenshaw82
Gnoll

Postby ExTSR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 pm

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:If Aquaria were on Oerth would you agree with the place of it as seen on Greyhawk Grognard's blog (link above).

Not at all. :)

In brief, folks at TSR continued developing Gary's world after he sold it to them, and fans have likewise spun variations.
Little or none corresponds to Gary's actual campaign.

Since interface with published versions is problematic (see contradictions within the 'canon'), and legal obstacles dovetail therewith, we're sticking to what I developed with Gary's approval. Yes, many fans may find it odd that some details don't match published 'canon'. I'll stick with my friend's preferences. ;>

F
ExTSR
Troll

Return to Aquaria