Hardboiled GMshoe Empyrea Q&A

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Hardboiled GMshoe Empyrea Q&A

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 pm

I just missed an online Q&A chat that Frank Mentzer did with Hardboiled GMshoe. You might want to have a read of the transcript: [Q&A] Frank Mentzer & Ted Fauster (Worlds of Empyrea)

Here are a few (new to me) facts about Empyrea:
Frank Mentzer at the Q&A chat wrote:Most Settings are made by Game Companies, to promote and support their games. That’s normal. They’re also jam-packed with game-specific stuff, which is also normal.

Nobody has the extra cash to promote OTHER people’s games. But we’re all in the same Hobby, all sitting around tables and roleplaying, all fighting dragons and giants and such. The rule differences are minor, yet they’ve become walls, to some extent.

Settings don’t really HAVE to be system-specific. The crunch is, sure, and a lot of procedures, but for a setting that’s a small percentage of the whole.

That’s where we come in. Empyrea will be published for 10 game systems, and 8 of them are D&D or variations (Open Game License). Two aren’t: Runequest and Savage Worlds.

The others are D&D 5e, Advanced (1e/2e), BECMI, and OGL versions Pathfinder, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Castles & Crusades, Swords & Wizardry, and Hackmaster.

Each set will have ONE System Book with the crunch you select. You can add other System Books for minimal cost; don’t buy extra sets, most of them are the same. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Hardboiled GMshoe Empyrea Q&A

Post by Havard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:20 pm

It is interesting that Frank wants to support so many different systems. I guess that will attract a wide range of players. I really love the idea of a new BECMI supplement after all these years! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Baron
Bugbear

Post by Baron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 pm

It's really a nice gesture. 1st ed AD&D is the game I play the most, but who knows? Maybe I could use Runequest!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:03 pm

That certainly is a lot of different rules systems. The Talislanta Kickstarter recently had to drop Pathfinder and Savage Worlds support, so it's pretty ambitious for Frank to go for ten rules systems.

If the bar was all ten systems, I can imagine that the base Kickstarter goal would have to be very high.

I wonder if Frank is going to start off supporting one or two rulesets, and make the other eight into things that are unlocked by stretch goals. (That could allow Empyrea to still go ahead if they only got enough cash to pay for 9 rulesets or 5 rulesets or whatever.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:15 pm

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:If the bar was all ten systems, I can imagine that the base Kickstarter goal would have to be very high. I wonder if Frank is going to start off supporting one or two rulesets, and make the other eight into things that are unlocked by stretch goals. (That could allow Empyrea to still go ahead if they only got enough cash to pay for 9 rulesets or 5 rulesets or whatever.)
It was a topic for discussion. ;> The Goal is 250,000 $US.
Most other major RPG releases hit that, actually. Most don't reach that high at first, that's all.
But with all the guest stars, we need to go Big. Simple as that. :)

From one pov, the collection of Art and Design contributions from these legends will make it worth having.
After you enjoy all those, then discover that the campaign is worthwhile, too.

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.

Bud
Goblin

Post by Bud » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:30 pm

I hope that a higher pledge can result in the opportunity for backers receiving the Crunch Book for more than one system. My campaign is 1e/2e, but I also play 5e and Runequest, and I'd certainly take the opportunity to pledge more in order to receive hardcopies of the Crunchbook for multiple systems, though 1e/2e will be my first choice. The idea of a boxed set is nice!
Looking forward to the Kickstarter campaign and especially looking forward to seeing our GH campaign set sail for Empyrea.
Good luck, Frank and company!
cheers, Bud

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Bud wrote:I hope that a higher pledge can result in the opportunity for backers receiving the Crunch Book for more than one system.
No, can't do that, sorry. I won't jack up pledge levels for one booklet.
Instead, you select one system when you order, and can add extra system books for a reasonable cost, all you want.

Feel free to explore the higher levels, but if you just want more crunch you just pay for and get pure crunch, without fluff. :)

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 am

One question I have to ask - which version of RuneQuest?
I realise that most versions are fairly compatible, but with a new Chaosium version coming out soon it does seem a question worth raising.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Baron
Bugbear

Post by Baron » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Ugh. I would hope that it would be Classic Runequest, just re-issued last year. Since we're classic gamers. But, now that I think of it, the new regime did say that there would be no new material accepted for Classic, only for their upcoming seventh edition. <sigh>

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Baron wrote:Ugh. I would hope that it would be Classic Runequest, just re-issued last year. Since we're classic gamers. But, now that I think of it, the new regime did say that there would be no new material accepted for Classic, only for their upcoming seventh edition. <sigh>
Not sure what you mean by Classic RuneQuest, but from what I understand the upcoming edition will be using RuneQuest 2nd Edition as their starting point. I think See this thread for more discussion on the different editions of RuneQuest. I think RQ2 was the one they re-released last year?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Baron
Bugbear

Post by Baron » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Yes Havard.

Return to “Aquaria”