Published Material

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Published Material

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Product List

By Eldritch Enterprises
  • Mentzer, Frank. Aquaria Players Kit, 2010 (Gen Con exclusive)
  • Mentzer, Frank. Lich Dungeon Level 1, Eldrich Ent, 2012
  • Mentzer, Frank. Heroes and Magic, Eldritch Ent, 2012
  • Mentzer, Frank The Case of the Missing Magic, Eldritch Ent, 2012
  • Mentzer, Frank. Lich Dungeon Level 2, Eldritch Ent, 2013
  • Mentzer, Frank. Quondam Fount, Eldritch Ent, 2014

By TSR
  • Mentzer, Frank. R10 Air Plane!. TSR Hobbies, 1982.
  • Mentzer, Frank. R4 Doc's Island. : TSR Hobbies, 1983.
  • Mentzer, Frank. R7 "Dwarven" Quest for the Rod of Seven Parts. TSR Hobbies, 1982.
  • Mentzer, Frank. R3 Egg of the Phoenix.TSR Hobbies, 1982.
  • Mentzer, Frank. R5 Great Bugbear Hunt. TSR Hobbies, 1982.
  • Mentzer, Frank. "The Great Bugbear Hunt." Polyhedron #28. TSR, Inc., 1985.
  • Mentzer, Frank.R2 The Investigation of Hydell. : TSR Hobbies, 1982.
  • Mentzer, Frank.R9 Tinker's Canyon. TSR Hobbies, 1982.
  • Mentzer, Frank. R1 To the Aid of Falx. TSR Hobbies, 1982.
  • Mentzer, Frank. R8 Yog's Dessert. : TSR Hobbies, 1982.
  • Mentzer, Frank, and Paul Jaquays. Egg of the Phoenix. La TSR, 1987.

By New Infinities Productions Inc.

See also, these free downloads.

Havard
Last edited by Havard on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Aquaria] Published Material

Postby ExTSR » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Well, I've never read Paul's revision in detail, so I don't know anything about that.

R6 was Bigby's Tome (in a Poly somewhere).

DQR7P (R7, R8, R9, R10) was two 3-round tourneys bitd; start with 1 piece, get 3 more at GenCon East (Widener College, Chester PA) and the last 3 at GenCon (Kenosha, WI). That's the only time a tourney spanned two different GenCons, iirc. R-10 (omitted from your list) is called "Air Plane!" and is set, obviously in the elemental plane of Air. (Not exactly a comfortable place for a bunch of rock-loving dwarves...)

Spring Fever, the first RPGA Masters tourney, was bandied about as R-11 iirc.

The special 2 years ago was Empyrea/Appraisal. The first half was a more detailed outline of the in-game history, from initial planetary settlements right up thru the Evanescence (where it stops). The second half ("Appraisal") is a puzzle adventure with very little combat.

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world. (Then she arrived.)
ExTSR
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Havard wrote:The New Empyrea section on the Wikipedia lists the following:

<snip>

Does this sound more or less correct?

<pedantic mode>
That link is to The Great Library of Greyhawk (the Greyhawk wiki hosted by Canonfire! - not Wikipedia).
</pedantic mode>
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:45 pm

ExTSR wrote:Well, I've never read Paul's revision in detail, so I don't know anything about that.

It must be kind of weird to do pioneering work with D&D stuff and then have other people come along and rebuild your stuff.

I've always kind of hoped that individual D&D settings could each have a "caretaker" (or team of "caretakers") that could oversee it and ensure that new material continues the theme that was set before.

Were I to somehow magically be given the rights to Aquaria (there have been threads about this for a couple of other settings) I would think that the most logical thing to do with it would to be to ask you to run it (or if you were too busy, rubber stamp it).

I've seen stories of Dragonlance developers being banned (by TSR) from contacting Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis (under threat of being sacked). Do you know if TSR banned anyone (like Paul Jaquays) from consulting you?

ExTSR wrote:R6 was Bigby's Tome (in a Poly somewhere).

Is there any Aquaria link (like an NPC or item with a connection to the earlier R modules)?

ExTSR wrote:R-10 (omitted from your list) is called "Air Plane!" and is set, obviously in the elemental plane of Air. (Not exactly a comfortable place for a bunch of rock-loving dwarves...)

Do the dwarves have a (tenuous) connection to Aquaria? (This is the same question as my one about R6, really.)

ExTSR wrote:Spring Fever, the first RPGA Masters tourney, was bandied about as R-11 iirc.

I've never heard of this, before.

ExTSR wrote:The special 2 years ago was Empyrea/Appraisal. The first half was a more detailed outline of the in-game history, from initial planetary settlements right up thru the Evanescence (where it stops). The second half ("Appraisal") is a puzzle adventure with very little combat.

I've not heard of this either. Was this in a magazine?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:41 pm

It`s great to see so much published work that already supports the Aquaria setting. So many items published by TSR for so many worlds, even though I lived in a gamestore for years and owned my own store for 2 years it amazes me how much was out there that I completely missed out on.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby ExTSR » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've seen stories of Dragonlance developers being banned (by TSR) from contacting Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis (under threat of being sacked). Do you know if TSR banned anyone (like Paul Jaquays) from consulting you?
Why, yes. The PoG was quite vengeful. This is apocryphal, however, as any Proof of such is impossible; it was all verbal-only. I was Banned (by her) from the GenCon Auction stage for two years, as well.

Do the dwarves have a (tenuous) connection to Aquaria? (This is the same question as my one about R6, really.)
The whole thing is in Aquaria, except for this interplanar excursion.

Spring Fever... I've never heard of this before.
A startling one, in its day. The DM read a simple introduction about a druid gathering animal/creature recruits for an investigatory adventure within their capabilities. After earlier selecting a thief, fighter, or whatever and getting the face-down character sheets, the players found out to their shock, one by one (as they were brought up in the brief story) that they had a centaur, bear, pseudo-dragon, and others. In round 2 of the tournament, the players got the actual PCs who have such beings as Followers or Familiars some time later. Since the nonhumans developed personalities in round 1, the party's attitude toward them in round two was rather more... enlightened... than is usual for such.

I've not heard of {Empyrea/Appraisal} either. Was this in a magazine?
No, privately published (includes OGL license to touch all the legal bases) and available only in a limited edition of 50, signed & numbered. Somewhat collectible these days, tho nobody seems to want to sell theirs. ;>

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
ExTSR
Troll

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:31 pm

Havard wrote:Also, the free distributed Player's Kit should be noted. In addition a Gen Con version of the Player's Kit was sold a few years ago.
Havard

Is that Player's Kit in electronic form? If so, is there a link to it? I would enjoy looking through it.

I was blessed to get to play through about a 1/3 of Falx with Frank as DM. I also got to play in a HL game where the characters investigated an island where fantastic animals were being illegally cloned/breeded/etc. I enjoyed greatly these games. Sadly we lacked enough time to do them justice.

OT/
Frank, did you get my email response about D&D in the context of religious institutions?
/OT
Greywolf
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:53 pm

Greywolf wrote:
Havard wrote:Also, the free distributed Player's Kit should be noted. In addition a Gen Con version of the Player's Kit was sold a few years ago.
Havard

Is that Player's Kit in electronic form? If so, is there a link to it? I would enjoy looking through it.

Hi Greywolf,
This is what you are looking for :)

Dave L wrote:I've just had a reply from Frank - he's sent me the Player's Kit for his campaign and given permission to share it.

If anyone would like it you can download it here.

And yes, there are a couple of maps in there as well as the documentation. :D

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ExTSR » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:03 pm

Greywolf wrote:OT/
Frank, did you get my email response about D&D in the context of religious institutions?
/OT

Sure. Sorry, that got lost in the shuffle during my recent realworld affairs.

As you plan to come to the Big Con, I trust we'll speak more there. :)

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
ExTSR
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:04 am

Thanks for the enlightenment.

ExTSR wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've not heard of {Empyrea/Appraisal} either. Was this in a magazine?
No, privately published (includes OGL license to touch all the legal bases) and available only in a limited edition of 50, signed & numbered. Somewhat collectible these days, tho nobody seems to want to sell theirs. ;>

50 copies sounds very very small. It almost sounds too small to be commercially viable. Was that something you designed as a present for your fans?

Is there any chance this might be reprinted at some point (or made into a PDF or Print on Demand product)?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Greywolf » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:44 am

Havard wrote:Hi Greywolf,
This is what you are looking for :)
-Havard

I don't know. I was interested in what you mentioned in the OP about the player's kit.

I thank you very kindly for providing a link.
Greywolf
Hobgoblin

Postby ExTSR » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:25 am

Big Mac wrote:50 copies sounds very very small. It almost sounds too small to be commercially viable. Was that something you designed as a present for your fans?

Yup. Ran the adventure at GenCon for a few select groups, and that was it. Some of the Dragonsfoot fans bought what was left of the run.

Is there any chance this might be reprinted at some point?

Very probably, tho it needs revision first. I promised a 2nd printing a year ago, and then, well, things happened...
but then recently I woke up, the gnomes had packed up their kegling supplies and departed long since, so I came home. :)

F

Greywolf is too polite. Hm, I wonder how many XP he's worth...
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
ExTSR
Troll

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Hmmm...lots of material here for me to read while waiting for new releases... :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Azaghal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:28 am

Havard wrote:Hmmm...lots of material here for me to read while waiting for new releases... :)

-Havard

Yep! But is it enough to keep us occupied until then?
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Azaghal wrote:Yep! But is it enough to keep us occupied until then?

I think we can manage to find ways to keep us busy, cant we? :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Azaghal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Havard wrote:
Azaghal wrote:Yep! But is it enough to keep us occupied until then?

I think we can manage to find ways to keep us busy, cant we? :)

Havard

Somehow I do think we can stay very busy.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 pm

ExTSR wrote:
Big Mac wrote:50 copies sounds very very small. It almost sounds too small to be commercially viable. Was that something you designed as a present for your fans?

Yup. Ran the adventure at GenCon for a few select groups, and that was it. Some of the Dragonsfoot fans bought what was left of the run.

I've recently come to the conclusion that sort of thing is a very good way for a company like TSR or WotC to experiment with new ideas before committing to a large print run.

I bet that someone could have sifted through the RPGA's Living Greyhawk stuff and found enought top quality ideas to have filled several 3e GH sourcebooks.

ExTSR wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is there any chance this might be reprinted at some point?

Very probably, tho it needs revision first. I promised a 2nd printing a year ago, and then, well, things happened...
but then recently I woke up, the gnomes had packed up their kegling supplies and departed long since, so I came home. :)

I'm in no rush. I just get a bit frustrated that so many D&D products are out of print and fans are now at the mercy of vultures that push prices up to stupid levels. I would love to see all RPG products come back as PDF and PoD options, or be given away as free sample downloads. (And I also think that copyrights should either expire or revert back to the author, if the publisher abandons a book.)

I hope your gnomes never come back, whatever they are.

ExTSR wrote:Greywolf is too polite. Hm, I wonder how many XP he's worth...

You have 21 posts and he has 45. Official-unofficial Piazza rules state that if you can make 25 posts and overtake him, you can "kill him and take his stuff"! ;)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Greywolf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:

You have 21 posts and he has 45. Official-unofficial Piazza rules state that if you can make 25 posts and overtake him, you can "kill him and take his stuff"! ;)

:o

I was reading The Piazza for a while before I joined. And even now, I read very much more than I post because I know that I have much more to learn about different D&D worlds than I do to pontificate (hehe).
Greywolf
Hobgoblin

Postby Dread Delgath » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Ooooh! That means in about 5,720 posts, I can take all of Big Mac's stuff! :mrgreen: Wait... :o Nevermind. :oops:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Dave L » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Greywolf wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I was reading The Piazza for a while before I joined. And even now, I read very much more than I post because I know that I have much more to learn about different D&D worlds than I do to pontificate (hehe).

Surely you're not suggesting any of our top posters "pontificate"?

Perish the thought! :mrgreen:

Seriously, today has been a day I do not ever want to repeat - thank you for giving me a smile at its end.
Dave L
Storm Giant

Postby Azaghal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:13 am

Dave L wrote:
Greywolf wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Surely you're not suggesting any of our top posters "pontificate"?

Perish the thought! :mrgreen:

Pontificate! Who would do such a thing!

to speak in a pompous or dogmatic manner: Did he pontificate about the responsibilities of a good citizen?

Seriously, today has been a day I do not ever want to repeat - thank you for giving me a smile at its end.

Sorry your day has been so bad Dave.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby ExTSR » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Remembered another one...

Back in the RPGA days I wrote a tourney called Convert. You can still find the published version from NIPI (The Convert, 1987 I think) on eBay and Amazon I believe. That's entirely set in Aquaria, including a visit to Gnomestead to watch movies (Illusions) on a Saturday night.

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
ExTSR
Troll

Postby Dave L » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 pm

ExTSR wrote:Remembered another one...

Back in the RPGA days I wrote a tourney called Convert. You can still find the published version from NIPI (The Convert, 1987 I think) on eBay and Amazon I believe. That's entirely set in Aquaria, including a visit to Gnomestead to watch movies (Illusions) on a Saturday night.

F

Definitely a high-magic setting. :)
Dave L
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:51 pm

ExTSR wrote:Remembered another one...

Grodog has mentioned The Convert on his Greyhawk Tourney's page. And I did find a post (by you) on The Arcanum forums, that said that The Convert was a module that TSR did not want and the PoG tricked New Infinities into publishing it*, so they had an excuse to launch a lawsuit. This PoG sounds like a complete bell-end. :roll:

* = IIRC, I have read elsewhere, that TSR gave verbal permission, so that they could then pretend that they had not given permission and use the "my word against your word" thing to start a lawsuit, drag it out as long as possible and try to make New Infinities go bankrupt from court costs. There really should be some sort of "legal aid" to prevent companies from being able to bankrup competitors. And misusing the law in this way should be something that a Judge can put a company CEO in prison for.

But I can't find much more about the actual module online. Is there any chance that New Infinities stuff could be brought back as Print on Demand/PDF products, or is this something people need to hunt down second-hand?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ExTSR » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Big Mac wrote:Is there any chance that New Infinities stuff could be brought back as Print on Demand/PDF products, or is this something people need to hunt down second-hand?
Well, anything's possible. :) The Convert is currently the exclusive property of WotC, whether or not they choose to reprint or PDF it or whatever. If I can negotiate a change of ownership or rights or something, fine, I'll consider it. But it's not a priority; everything therein that matches some things in Aquaria can easily be revised.

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
ExTSR
Troll

Next

Return to Aquaria