[Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [IC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Oakfirst wrote:"As for you, Sir Tymbeck, I would be honored if you would stay in my old room when I lived here in my youth. It's quite large and quite unused. I will have the bulk of my father's old clothes moved there. I must insist that you all refrain from entering into my father's personal quarters."


Tim replies, "Thanks so much for your kindness and generosity; it shall be as you wish."

Tim then proceeds to move his stuff out of the storage closet, and into the closet which is in Oakfirst's old room. He then returns downstairs, and introduces himself to Rhodes and Thersean:

"Lieutenant Sir Tymbeck Valencia, at your service. But you can call me either Tim, or if you're the formal type, Sir Tim, the preference is yours. It is an honor to meet you both."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby willpell » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Relgar selects the least ostentatious outfit he can manage to put together; his only objective is to look clean and respectable. Khakhi and tan are his color preferences, possibly with white underneath, or grey; he avoids anything showy or desperate-looking (nothing screams "please fear me, I have poor self-esteem" like wearing black from head to foot). He vastly prefers trousers over robes, and ideally a vest with some pockets on it; he likes being able to keep pencils and tools handy, and a flat sachel with reinforced sides that will keep a few sheets of paper from getting too crumpled in transit.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: The Cells

Postby dfryer36 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Knightfall wrote:"Terger?" Custodio asks.
"He's good;" Terger says to Custodio. "Okay Rhodes, lets get you kitted up and hit the streets."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

The Heroes meet Rhodes, and then some...

Postby Knightfall » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 am

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"Terger?" Custodio asks.

"He's good;" Terger says to Custodio. "Okay Rhodes, lets get you kitted up and hit the streets."

"I'll take your word for it," Custodio replies. He lets go of his sword and stands at ease as Terger and Rhodes walk past him. He walks behind them.

"Ah, freedom," Rhodes intones. "You shall be enjoyed while it lasts." He looks at Terger, "I doubt they will let me out permanently. At the very least, when we are done with this Del Cannitha person, they will exile me from Bluffside."

"That would be better than prison," Custodio says.

"True. However, while I do not have real family here, I think I would miss the grand ol' city. The view from the top of the Rooftop Inn and the performances at the Theater on the Bluff. Of course, I haven't seen either in years nor have I had the chance to visit Black Boudoir in oh-so-long. Maybe once we are finished, they will allow me to partake of Glamor's various pleasures before they boot me out of Bluffside."

"Why am I not surprised," Custodio says indignantly, as the trio climbs the stairs back up to the main level of the manor.

"Oh, do you object to Lord Glitterod's place of business," Rhodes laughs.

Custodio remains silent.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Oakfirst wrote:"As for you, Sir Tymbeck, I would be honored if you would stay in my old room when I lived here in my youth. It's quite large and quite unused. I will have the bulk of my father's old clothes moved there. I must insist that you all refrain from entering into my father's personal quarters."


Tim replies, "Thanks so much for your kindness and generosity; it shall be as you wish."

Commander Oakfirst salutes Tim before walking over and shaking the half-ogre's hand. "If you feel the need to explore the rest of the manor, you have my permission. There are many parts that I've never explored, even in my youth. I'm sure the building still has a few secrets here or there.

Knightfall wrote:Just as Relgar heads out into the corridor, Terger, Custodio, and another man who must be Rhodes appear from down the hallway. At the same time, he notes the elf standing in the doorway.

"Terger, you convinced him?" Oakfirst sounds very surprised.

"Hello, Reg," Rhodes says. "Long time no see."

"Don't mock me, Demetrios," Oakfirst replies. "You and I were never friends."

"No, of course not, but we did fight together more than once, although you'd like to pretend you don't know me or my family."

"That, was a long time ago, Rhody," Oakfirst replies firmly.

"Very true," Rhodes replies dryly.

"We have clothes and gear set aside for you," the commander motions to the wardrobe. "You can take the clothing for now. Elkgrar here has suggested visiting the Golden Lantern to speak with Master Rosenberg. Since it is near the Gardens, someone there might have seen something regarding Phelix Del Cannitha. It is believed his enclave is hidden somewhere near the Gardens."

The dwarf nods politely to Rhodes but doesn't address him.

"I'm assuming you filled him in," Oakfirst says to Terger.

"He did," Rhodes replies. "It's been years since I've stepped foot in the Lantern. I hope these clothes aren't out of style. I'd hate to be stared at."

"They'll stare at you, regardless, Rhody," Oakfirst sighs. "You know that."

"Well, it's not like I can wait outside while these others go inside and talk to Rosey," Rhodes replies. He picks up the plain short sword, unsheathes it, tests it deftly, and the sheathes it and places it back inside the wardrobe. He looks over his shoulder at Terger and grins like a cat. "Can I?"

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim then proceeds to move his stuff out of the storage closet, and into the closet which is in Oakfirst's old room.

The room is very orderly and clean, and a bit bare. The closet is completely empty (and huge), as are most of the wardrobes. A large mirror stands at the center of the room. While the room is large, for Tim it will feel cozy, should he actually find time to rest here. A large fireplace almost beckons him to light it and curl up on the divan in front.

willpell wrote:Relgar selects the least ostentatious outfit he can manage to put together; his only objective is to look clean and respectable. Khakhi and tan are his color preferences, possibly with white underneath, or grey; he avoids anything showy or desperate-looking (nothing screams "please fear me, I have poor self-esteem" like wearing black from head to foot). He vastly prefers trousers over robes, and ideally a vest with some pockets on it; he likes being able to keep pencils and tools handy, and a flat sachel with reinforced sides that will keep a few sheets of paper from getting too crumpled in transit.

Relgar finds most of his preferences, even trousers. There is no vest, however, but he does find an old leather satchel that should do the trick. It is stitched with gold thread and bears the initials D. F. on it. It even has a few pockets on the front. The only black item is a fancy hat with a red feather on it. Not the sort of thing a wizard would wear, well, not any wizard Relgar knows. It is more suitable to a rogue or soldier.

Once Relgar is satisfied, he heads back down the stairs. The servant stays behind to tidy up the room and remove anything Relgar doesn't want in it, if he should return to rest in the room. As he nears the bottom of the stairwell, he nearly bumps into Tim, the offworlder. The two of them enter the hall together just in time to see Rhodes test the short sword before putting it back.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:{Tim} then returns downstairs, and introduces himself to Rhodes and Thersean:

"Lieutenant Sir Tymbeck Valencia, at your service. But you can call me either Tim, or if you're the formal type, Sir Tim, the preference is yours. It is an honor to meet you both."

"I like Tim," Rhodes replies heartily. "My, aren't you a big fellow! I'm glad you're on our side in this fight," Rhodes playfully bumps his shoulder into the half-ogre's arm. "And quite the fight it will be, or so I hear. Well, I best get changed. I wouldn't want to look like an old ragamuffin, would I?" Rhodes gathers up the clothes set aside for him and moves towards the corridor to find a place to change.

"Here will be fine," Oakfirst insists.

"As you wish," Rhodes quickly begins to strip down to his bareness before anyone can object. "Anyone enjoying the show?"

He laughs. Elkgrar guffaws. Livia watches a little to intently in Oakfirst's eyes.

"Well, life will not be boring with you around, I'll say that much at least," Custodio laughs.

Rhodes laughs again, as he finishes getting dressed.

"You never did have any shame, Rhody," Oakfirst says. The commander shakes his head in disbelief. Terger can tell Oakfirst had hoped to embarrass Rhodes into silence, but it only spurned him on.

"None at all," Rhodes says with s wicked grin. "Even less now."

"Hello there," the ex-guardman, restored, bows to Relgar and then, quickly, to Livia. "I don't believe we've been introduced. I am Demetrios Zinon Aris Rhodes, last son of Tjaard Sietos Rhodes?"

Livia blushes and runs out of the room. Thersean soon stands just inside the doorway into the main hall watching the men he will be fighting alongside.

"This should be interesting," Custodio whispers to Terger, as Rhodes waits for Relgar to respond.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Oakfirst Manor

Postby MacConnell » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Knightfall wrote:Oakfirst laughs heartily, his hands behind his back. He then looks at Thersean and nods to the elf. "So, you're Thersean Stormdancer, servant of the Dragori Empire. Lady Pomander's messenger beat you here by only a few minutes. Welcome! Enter and meet the others you will be working with. There should still be some food left, and if you want something else, Livia can get it for you."

Oakfirst steps back inside and waits for Thersean to follow him in.

Thersean cradles his staff in the crook of his right elbow and extends his left slightly, nodding his head.

"I am Thersean Stormdacer. Thersean will be enough. Servant is a bit implicative of something else. Representative would perhaps be more accurate, except I am obviously not Dragori."

He smiles, disarmingly.

"Attaché would be more appropriate, but that always seems overly linguistic. Thersean will be enough."

He follows, nodding to others, his staff barely making an audible click when it contacts the ground.
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.
User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby willpell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 pm

"Relgar Aspergim," the wizard says simply, shaking the proferred hand and trying not to look at the naked convict. He doesn't especially want to spread around any details about where he lives, and if asked what he does, he'll confess to being a draftsman rather than an arcanist.
Last edited by willpell on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 am

Rhodes wrote:"As you wish," Rhodes quickly begins to strip down to his bareness before anyone can object. "Anyone enjoying the show?"


Tim laughs heartily and says, "You really should expand your horizons a bit more; when I was first released from service, I served two months as a ranch hand. Once, we were on a short cattle drive, with about 1,500 head or so; we had to cross a wide river called The Elkhorn, and so as not to be riding the rest of the day in muddy, wet clothes, all 23 of us stripped down naked before crossing. And I still wouldn't call that a show. More like a display. Mankind is small, and the world is big. Making a show requires a lot of effort, my friend. So think big! No, I take that back, think GRAND!"
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby dfryer36 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:13 am

Terger turns to Custodio and smiles, "if I had known this would be this entertaining I would have put together a team like this along time ago."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Knightfall » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 am

MacConnell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Oakfirst laughs heartily, his hands behind his back. He then looks at Thersean and nods to the elf. "So, you're Thersean Stormdancer, servant of the Dragori Empire. Lady Pomander's messenger beat you here by only a few minutes. Welcome! Enter and meet the others you will be working with. There should still be some food left, and if you want something else, Livia can get it for you."

Oakfirst steps back inside and waits for Thersean to follow him in.

Thersean cradles his staff in the crook of his right elbow and extends his left slightly, nodding his head.

"I am Thersean Stormdacer. Thersean will be enough. Servant is a bit implicative of something else. Representative would perhaps be more accurate, except I am obviously not Dragori."

He smiles, disarmingly.

"Attaché would be more appropriate, but that always seems overly linguistic. Thersean will be enough."

He follows, nodding to others, his staff barely making an audible click when it contacts the ground.

"Very well, in any formal documents, I will have you referred to as Attaché of the Dragori Embassy, as this mission will most likely generate official missives," Commander Oakfirst replies. The commander leads Thersean into the main hall where the others are gathering. He watch as Oakfirst makes Rhodes change his clothes in front of everyone else.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Rhodes wrote:"As you wish," Rhodes quickly begins to strip down to his bareness before anyone can object. "Anyone enjoying the show?"


Tim laughs heartily and says, "You really should expand your horizons a bit more; when I was first released from service, I served two months as a ranch hand. Once, we were on a short cattle drive, with about 1,500 head or so; we had to cross a wide river called The Elkhorn, and so as not to be riding the rest of the day in muddy, wet clothes, all 23 of us stripped down naked before crossing. And I still wouldn't call that a show. More like a display. Mankind is small, and the world is big. Making a show requires a lot of effort, my friend. So think big! No, I take that back, think GRAND!"

Rhodes laughs heartily at Tim's story. "We'll have to find some other time to swap stories, Tim. I have some grand tales myself."

willpell wrote:"Relgar Aspergim," the wizard says simply, shaking the proferred hand and trying not to look at the naked convict. He doesn't especially want to spread around any details about where he lives, and if asked what he does, he'll confess to being a draftsman rather than an arcanist.

"I am glad to make your acquaintance, Relgar," Rhodes replies. "You have a certain look to you, which intrigues me, but I think we might be on the clock, so to work!"

Rhodes heads towards the hall's doorway where he comes face to face with Thersean. "Another for our group?" He intones to Oakfirst in a more serious tone. "You are taking this Phelix Del Cannitha person and the threat he presents quite seriously."

"Very," Oakfirst replies. While motioning to the desert elf, he turns to speak to the others. "This is Thersean Stormdancer, Attaché of the Dragori Embassy. He is to help in this mission."

dfryer36 wrote:Terger turns to Custodio and smiles, "if I had known this would be this entertaining I would have put together a team like this along time ago."

Custodio smiles and nods back.

Oakfirst looks at Thersean. "A plan has been set into motion. You and the others are going to visiting the Golden Lantern to speak with a man named Rosenberg. He is the owner of the inn and his clientèle are important and wealthy people in the city. I will have to ask you to leave your weapons and armor here in the manor, for now, as the others are doing. Such items aren't permitted in the Lantern," Oakfirst insists. "Livia and the other servants here will take care of your gear."

A halfling woman appears next to Thersean and shows him to a storage closest where he can remove his armor and weapons and change into clothes with a bit more finery, if required.

"You two too," Oakfirst says to Custodio and Terger. "Lets make sure this goes smoothly."

Custodio nods. He leaves his weapons and armor in the storage closet. He only changes his boots and shirt and puts on a tunic of the Vanquisher. He waits outside the closet's doorway, as Terger stores his own "offensive" gear away. The two walk back to the hall together.

"I feel weird without my sword," Custodio says.

All are soon gathered just inside the manor's doorway. Oakfirst looks them over and shakes his head. "It will have to do. Good luck to you all."

"What of you, commander?" Custodio asks.

"I have something else important to look into," he replies. "Another possible recruit for your group. If I can convince her, she will either meet you at the Lantern or back here."

Commander Oakfirst heads off down the corridor towards the back of the manor. Elkgrar and Terger lead the way onto the street with Rhodes and Tim right behind them. Thersean follows after that while Custodio walks alongside Relgar at the end of the group.

"I'll get us in," Elkgrar says to Terger, as they turn a corner and head towards the Golden Lantern. "There is a side door that is set aside for servants and less opulent guests. We likely won't be allowed near the inn's entryway or the dining hall once inside."

Behind them, Rhodes and Tim converse in small-talk quips. Every once in a while Rhodes engages with Thersean. Custodio and Relgar walk quietly together in mutual polite silence.

Tim gets his first look at the district and finds that there are many races amongst its people, although most of them here in this Old City district are human. There are the universal elves, dwarves, hin, gnomes, and even the odd half-orc. Bluffside appears to be a cosmopolitan city, and Tim see a few races he's never encountered before. Rhodes is an excellent guide. You wouldn't know the man has been languishing in prison for years. If anyone recognizes the disgraced guardsman, they say nothing. Perhaps he has been forgotten by the masses? Rhodes points out several distinct races and names them -- the Sixam Ieuna, a race of winged humanoids; the Rakasta, a race of catfolk; the Dragonborn, a race of dragonblooded humanoids; and the Ondonti, a race of 'civilized' orcs. All these races are new to Tim.

"There are others too," Rhodes says. "The reptilian Dragori, Steam Gnomes, the often mysterious Nevaequariani, the aquatic Sel'varahn, and many others, but the bulk of those races rarely walk Old City. While the Dragori's Embassy is here in the district, they tend to keep to themselves." He glances back at Thersean before continuing. "Perhaps that might change, which could be beneficial."

The Golden Lantern soon comes into view. Terger smirks at the name of the place. This Lantern is not linked to his fellowship, but it is an amusing coincidence that he finds himself here. He never came here as Klaus, but he knows of the inn and its place in the upper part of Bluffside's society. He knows it is very unlikely he will encounter anyone he knows, but when faced with the risk, he had quickly decided that for his wardrobe change, he'd pick a less known family, the Galersons, to imitate. He now wore their colors and, hopefully, to the nosy eyes in the Goldern Lantern, he will come off as a just another foppish son of Marmic Galerson. The man had so many that who would bat-an-eye at one more.

"Stop," a group of dangerous-looking, well-armed men step in front of the group just they are about to approach the side entrance. "You cannot enter the Lantern without a reservation! Move along!"

"Not even for a son of the Ashhand Clan, hmm?" Elkgrar asks formally. He quickly falsl into the pattern of noble dwarf son. He seems to tower well above the guards, metaphorically. "Do not presume to speak to me in such a fashion, Guardian. I have been frequenting the Lantern since before you were a gleam in your father's eye. Now, be a good man and go inform Master Rosenberg that Lord Elkgrar, Son of Telchal Ashhand, wishes to meet and speak with him about an important matter for the good of Old City."

The Guardians hesitates for a moment.

"MOVE!" Elkgrar yells.

The head Guardian bows quickly and leads his troop back towards the side entrance of the Lantern. He disappears inside.

"Follow my lead," Elkgrar whispers to Terger and the others. "But don't overdo it."

He walks confidently towards the side entrance and when the Guardians don't move away from the entrance quickly enough, he growls at them and waves them away from the door. They give way and Elkgrar confidently strides into the inn. the Guardians remain quiet but once inside, the group can hear the staff buzzing with excitement. For 'Lord Elkgrar Ashhand' to enter through the side entrance is a rare occurrence, and wagging tongues wonder what it could be about.

Elkgrar clears his throat and two nearby scullery maids bob their heads and take his jacket. They offer to do the same for the others.

"This way, mi'lord," a well-groomed servant says to Elkgrar. "Master Rosenberg will meet you and you companions in the Red Room."

"The Stone Table in the Mountain Room," Elkgrar insists.

"i- I am sorry Lord Elkgrar, that room isn't available, we have a delegation in from The Granite North. I cannot disturb them. Please forgive me."

That news makes Elkgrar freeze for half a second. Terger is one of a handful who notices. "Well, diplomatic relations must come first, for the good of the city," Elkgrar replies. "But the Red Room is too harsh. Is the Temple Hall open?"

"Yes mi'lord, there is only one service scheduled for today and it won't be until dusk. Shall I have it prepared in the traditional style?"

"Nothing so grandiose," Elkgrar replies. "Simply make it presentable, but quickly. This is important business."

"As you wish, Lord Elkgrar," he bows and heads off to prepare the hall. The group only has to wait five minutes before a footman leads them to the Temple Hall. It is an octagonal room on the second floor that sits at the center of the building. The inn's staff whisks carefully through the hall to make sure that everything is in order.

"Will there be anything else, mi'lord?" the footman asks. "Refreshments, perhaps?"

"No," Elkgrar says casually. "How long will Master Rosenberg be? I''m sure he is quite busy."

"Indeed, mi'lord, but he knows you are here and will be with as soon as possible."

"Thank you, good man," Elkgrar replies. "The Ashhands will add a stipend to the staffs' weekly wages for your timely work. However, the head Guardian who accosted me gets nothing, you understand?"

"Yes mi'lord," he bows and leaves the hall. Servants close the door behind the footman.

Elkgrar slumps down into a chair and puts his head in his hands.

"You did well, young Ashhand," Rhodes says. "I did not realize who you were until now. It is an honor."

"Please don't," Elkgrar replies. "I am not proud of what I just did, but anything less would have been seen as weakness."

"Oh, I understand," Rhodes says. "I've had to do such thing myself in the past. It's never pleasant. Well, usually." Rhodes grins and pats the dwarven cleric on the back.

"So true," Elkgrar sighs.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm

The DM wrote: "Rhodes points out several distinct races and names them -- the Sixam Ieuna, a race of winged humanoids; the Rakasta, a race of catfolk; the Dragonborn, a race of dragonblooded humanoids; and the Ondonti, a race of 'civilized' orcs. All these races are new to Tim."


Tim takes it all in, saying very little. Tim knows that in order to learn as much as possible about his new environment, it is important for him to speak less, and listen more.

The DM wrote:"Oh, I understand," Rhodes says. "I've had to do such thing myself in the past. It's never pleasant. Well, usually." Rhodes grins and pats the dwarven cleric on the back.

"So true," Elkgrar sighs.


Tim says, sighing "Hang in there, my friend. Not all aristocrats are arrogant. And you seem to know exactly how to deal with the ones that are."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby willpell » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Relgar is baffled by the elaborate display of social protocol, and keeps his trap shut as more experienced persons deal with what he regards as pretentious nonsense.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby MacConnell » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Knightfall wrote:The commander leads Thersean into the main hall where the others are gathering. He watch as Oakfirst makes Rhodes change his clothes in front of everyone else.

Rhodes heads towards the hall's doorway where he comes face to face with Thersean. "Another for our group?" He intones to Oakfirst in a more serious tone. "You are taking this Phelix Del Cannitha person and the threat he presents quite seriously."

"Very," Oakfirst replies. While motioning to the desert elf, he turns to speak to the others. "This is Thersean Stormdancer, Attaché of the Dragori Embassy. He is to help in this mission."

Thersean nods to the group, making an almost imperceptible bow.
"Greetings all. Simply call me Thersean. It is enough. I will try to learn everyone's names as well."

Knightfall wrote:Oakfirst looks at Thersean. "A plan has been set into motion. You and the others are going to visiting the Golden Lantern to speak with a man named Rosenberg. He is the owner of the inn and his clientèle are important and wealthy people in the city. I will have to ask you to leave your weapons and armor here in the manor, for now, as the others are doing. Such items aren't permitted in the Lantern," Oakfirst insists. "Livia and the other servants here will take care of your gear."

A halfling woman appears next to Thersean and shows him to a storage closest where he can remove his armor and weapons and change into clothes with a bit more finery, if required.

Thersean makes a small laugh.
"As you can well see, I wear no armor, and I carry no weapons, except a sling, which appears to be nothing more than a strip of leather tucked into my belt, here. Surely my walking staff that aides in crossing the sands is not considered a weapon. If so, please clarify, and I will leave it. I suppose a staff is not really necessary on paving stones."

Knightfall wrote:Commander Oakfirst heads off down the corridor towards the back of the manor. Elkgrar and Terger lead the way onto the street with Rhodes and Tim right behind them. Thersean follows after that while Custodio walks alongside Relgar at the end of the group.

"Follow my lead," Elkgrar whispers to Terger and the others. "But don't overdo it."

"This way, mi'lord," a well-groomed servant says to Elkgrar. "Master Rosenberg will meet you and you companions in the Red Room."

"The Stone Table in the Mountain Room," Elkgrar insists.


Therseans sits quietly, scanning the room, looking for anything out of place, peculiar, or seemingly important.
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.
User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds

Thistle's Return

Postby Knightfall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:33 am

Temple District, The Solar Synagogue:
Thistle Ravenwood knows her time of isolation has come to an end. After days and days of intense training and solemn prayer, she has discovered the answers to the inner questions that have been plaguing her since the moment of the explosion. At first, she believed that there should have been some sign that would have warned her or the others, Gralf, Pekko, and Abene, of what was going to happen. She quickly dismissed that as folly. It just had been a coincidence that the building that had been set aflame had an illegal fireworks shop in the cellar.

Yet, her unease continued to plague her up until that moment standing amongst the tents of the makeshift Tallwalk Camp on the street of the same name in New City. The guards, the Bluffside Regulars and the Elites had gathered together the injured and the dead in one place but kept the deceased isolated from those that could still be saved. Of course, magic could restore to life any of those with family that could afford to have raise dead cast on their deceased loved ones, as long as the soul was willing to come back. In with the recently dead had been Abene, the Bluffside Regular that had fought alongside her and the others.

No, not even that that had broken Thistle. It was another body that sent her reeling — Bran Veldersine. Her longtime companion and friend laid dead on the ground — a burlap cloth pulled over all but his face. The shock of the day with seeing his face had been too much for her to bare. She had tried to stay and do her duty, but it had been no use — she was in crisis and Arn knew it. Her powers failed her and she quickly retreated to the Solar Synagogue. The high priest of the Arn's temple had tried to console her but it had only made her her angrier. He soon left her be.

Bran's body had been brought to the temple at Thistle's insistence, and a raise dead spell was cast. It didn't work. Bran didn't want to return to the world of the living. That had confused her even more. He had been so full of life and once told her that 'life was a short respite and that it shouldn't be wasted'. So why wouldn't he want to come back? She had never been one for spells, so there hadn't been any way for her ask him, and the high priest had insisted the body be buried The Fields of Forever — the district's holy graveyard. Once that had been done, it was over.

Thistle had knelt in torment by his graveside at dawn and dusk every day and had sparred with the monks and holy warriors of the temple like a ferocious beast during the day. She spent her nights in prayer and slept only so long as was needed for good health. The whole time she went over the details of Bran's death in her mind but she couldn't find any logic to it. He wasn't even supposed to be be in Bluffside. He had sent her to The Winsome Heart in his place after he'd been seriously injured, yet when the healers had gone over his body, the only injury he'd had was a sword thrust to the gut.

The explosion hadn't killed him. An unknown assailant had murdered him. His body had been found one street down from where Abd Allah Zaman had been discovered near death. The wizard and the evil cleric of the Dark Six, Ubon Metharom, had been the foes that she and the others had faced in Phelix's false home and then taken prisoner. She and Pekko and given those prisoners up to a group of Bluffside Regulars after the explosion and those same guards were found murdered and Ubon had disappeared. Gralf had come to see her in the temple and had filled her in on some of the details. He and Pekko both left the city soon after.

Did Ubon kill the guards and Bran? No, that was unlikely. He hadn't been a match for Thistle and the others, let alone a squad of guards and one of the best warriors she'd ever fought alongside. More than likely whoever took Ubon, killed the guards and killed Bran. But what had he, by Arn's Light, been doing there? And why did he pretend to be severely injured and sent her in his place? These had been only a few of the questions plaguing the troubled paladin. So, what was the answer that she discovered? It was this, she wasn't going to discover what is going on in this blasted city kneeling in front of an altar feeling sorry for herself.

She stood, now, over her dead friend's grave. There were no more tears in her eyes. The only thing in it was determination. Phelix Del Cannitha was the key to this whole thing. The sorcerer was still out there and more than likely hunting him would lead Thistle to Bran's killers. She read the note in her hand. It was from a man Gralf had mentioned meeting. It was short and to the point, with an official seal.

“I have learned you wish to seek justice for your fallen friend. I have assembled a new team to hunt down Phelix Del Cannitha, and if you wish to get answers, you should join the team. Meet me at the Temple Gate in the morning just after dawn.” —Commander Reginald Oakfirst
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Relgar wrote:Relgar is baffled by the elaborate display of social protocol, and keeps his trap shut as more experienced persons deal with what he regards as pretentious nonsense.


Tim winks at Relgar, and whispers, "You needn't say anything, your expression speaks volumes. I commend you, my friend. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Speaking to Rosenberg

Postby Knightfall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm

MacConnell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Oakfirst looks at Thersean. "A plan has been set into motion. You and the others are going to visiting the Golden Lantern to speak with a man named Rosenberg. He is the owner of the inn and his clientèle are important and wealthy people in the city. I will have to ask you to leave your weapons and armor here in the manor, for now, as the others are doing. Such items aren't permitted in the Lantern," Oakfirst insists. "Livia and the other servants here will take care of your gear."

A halfling woman appears next to Thersean and shows him to a storage closest where he can remove his armor and weapons and change into clothes with a bit more finery, if required.

Thersean makes a small laugh.
"As you can well see, I wear no armor, and I carry no weapons, except a sling, which appears to be nothing more than a strip of leather tucked into my belt, here. Surely my walking staff that aides in crossing the sands is not considered a weapon. If so, please clarify, and I will leave it. I suppose a staff is not really necessary on paving stones."

"You probably don't have to worry about your sling," Oakfirst replies. "However, you staff won't be seen just as a walking stick. There are many powerful wizards in Bluffside and staffs are seen as an offensive threat by them. If you feel you must take it with you, be prepared to give it up when asked."
Knightfall wrote:Commander Oakfirst heads off down the corridor towards the back of the manor.



Tellerian Hawke wrote:
The DM wrote: "Rhodes points out several distinct races and names them -- the Sixam Ieuna, a race of winged humanoids; the Rakasta, a race of catfolk; the Dragonborn, a race of dragonblooded humanoids; and the Ondonti, a race of 'civilized' orcs. All these races are new to Tim."

Tim takes it all in, saying very little. Tim knows that in order to learn as much as possible about his new environment, it is important for him to speak less, and listen more.

Rhodes continues to talk all the way to the Golden Lantern.


Tellerian Hawke wrote:
The DM wrote:"Oh, I understand," Rhodes says. "I've had to do such thing myself in the past. It's never pleasant. Well, usually." Rhodes grins and pats the dwarven cleric on the back.

"So true," Elkgrar sighs.

Tim says, sighing "Hang in there, my friend. Not all aristocrats are arrogant. And you seem to know exactly how to deal with the ones that are."

"In Old city," the dwarf replies. "To do otherwise is considered an act of weakness. While Master Rosenberg is more reasonable, he does employ people who are less forgiving of those who don't fit in in the Lantern."

"Such snobbery is unfit of being a citizen of Bluffside," Custodio says tersely.

"Aye, I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I became a priest. The Temple District has a lot less puffery. Well, less than Old City." He looks at Tim. I thank you for you encouragement, Mister Tim. It's good to be reminded that not all nobles are arrogant and cruel even if it is expected in certain circles."


willpell wrote:Relgar is baffled by the elaborate display of social protocol, and keeps his trap shut as more experienced persons deal with what he regards as pretentious nonsense.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim winks at Relgar, and whispers, "You needn't say anything, your expression speaks volumes. I commend you, my friend. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor."

"I hope I did not offend you, Young Master?" Elkgrar asks Relgar. "I'd hate for you to think less of me. Such an 'act' was required, but it is not who I am despite my upbringing."


MacConnell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Elkgrar and Terger lead the way onto the street with Rhodes and Tim right behind them. Thersean follows after that while Custodio walks alongside Relgar at the end of the group.

"Follow my lead," Elkgrar whispers to Terger and the others. "But don't overdo it."
.
.
.
"This way, mi'lord," a well-groomed servant says to Elkgrar. "Master Rosenberg will meet you and you companions in the Red Room."

"The Stone Table in the Mountain Room," Elkgrar insists.

Therseans sits quietly, scanning the room, looking for anything out of place, peculiar, or seemingly important.

Thersean is glad that Commander Oakfirst had warned him that the servants of the Golden Lantern would insist he hand over his staff and that he'd decided to leave it back at the old Oakfirst Manor.

Each one of them has to give assurances that they aren't hiding a weapon, before being allowed to pass through the inn's hallways to the Temple Hall room. While they aren't searched carefully, he would have had to given up his staff. None of the servants make any indication that they notice his sling. It seems the concern is more for visible weapons than those that can be easily hidden.

Of course, since the dwarven cleric is of noble birth, the servants likely didn't want to cause an incident. Once in the Temple Hall, Thersean's scan of the room find that nothing seems out of place. It fact, it is quite orderly. The hall has a feeling of sacredness to it and there are various holy symbols engraved on the room's walls. He recognizes some of them but not all.

He is pleasantly surprised to see Amaunator's holy symbol engraved on the wall alongside several other sun deities including Bluffside's own Great Provider. He knows that many humans in this region believe that all other sun gods are aspects of the Great Provider, but he knows differently. He is encouraged to see that Amaunator's symbol is given equal status on the wall as Bluffside's own solar deity.

He watches as the human named Custodio walks over to another symbol and says a prayer in front of it. The dwarf stands and does the same for his own god's symbol on the other side of the room. This, it seems, is a shrine dedicated to many gods. The man named Rhodes doesn't say a prayer but simply stands in the center of the room, waiting.

Just over fifteen minutes later, the Temple Hall's doors open and a exquisitely dressed man enters. He is hardly an imposing figure. He is slight of build and only of medium height, for a human. It is obviously his demeanor that people respect. He bows gracefully to Elkgrar who steps forward to greet the innkeeper.

"Lord Elkgrar, it has been too long," Rosenberg says.

"Indeed, Master Rosenberg, it is good to see you again. How is the family?"

"Oh, the same, although my mistress is troubled lately by all these murders and that nonsense that went on in New city."

"So you and her have your ears to the ground as usual," the dwarf's demeanor doesn't become overly haughty as he speaks to the man. "We have need of any knowledge you might have learned about what is going on here in Old City."

"I am more than hap-," Master Rosenberg stops suddenly when he sees Rhodes. "I- i do not believe it!"

"Hello Rosey," Rhodes says with a toothy grin. "It's been a while."

The master of the Golden Lantern stands with his mouth agape for what feels like an eternity.

"It's all right, Master Rosenberg," Elkgrar says. "Lord Demetrios was released today to help with an urgent matter that is of vital importance to all of Bluffside."

"I cannot believe it," Rosenberg gasps. He smiles and gives Rhodes a big hug. "They let you out! Finally, justice has been done! It is good to see my boy! But you look a bit thin. What have they been feeding you, eh?"

"Not much, Rosey," Rhodes laughs.

"Well, I'll have my cook make up for you to take with you. Where are you staying?"

"The old Oakfirst Manor," Rhodes says without realizing that he shouldn't have mentioned that name.

"What?!" Master Rosenberg pulls back. "why would you be staying in that bastard's old house?!"

"Easy, Rosy, is was ol' Ironboots himself who got me out of the Dungeon. Well, he and the new captain in charge of the Dungeon not to mention most of New City right now."

"Ah, the navae elf woman, she's quite the political climber, isn't she? From gate guard to captain of the Dungeon in less than a week."

"So I hear," Rhodes replies. "I wish we had more time to catch up, but we really could use your help." Rhodes nods to Elkgrar. "Lord Elkgrar's request is mine as well. All of ours. We've been tasked with finding a renegade sorcerer on the loose."

"Hmm, I've heard about this man, Phelix-something or other, a Sharnite who is responsible for that mess in New City." He pauses. "Wait, you don't think he's here in Old City, do you?"

"That's what was discovered," Elkgrar replies. "This man here, Master Terger, uncovered a hidden stronghold of a group called the Rising Swords and during a verbal exchange with the villains' leader sussed out that Phelix Del Cannitha is hiding somewhere here in Old City. Somewhere near the gardens, which is why we've come to you, Master Rosenberg."

"Gods, he is here," Rosenberg quickly closes the door to the hall. "This cannot get out. It would be horrible for business. It's bad enough that the district is plagued by a murderer, but now-" He pauses again. "You don't think this Phelix is the murderer, do you?"

"We do not know," Custodio replies. "We hoped you might have heard something that will lead us to him."

"Hmm, I don't know. Give me a moment to think." The master of the Golden Lantern sits down on an old pew that sits against one wall. He muses internally for several minutes.

OOC: Now would be a good time to come up with questions you guys want to ask Rosenberg, if you don't have any preplanned in mind.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Speaking to Rosenberg

Postby willpell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:Relgar is baffled by the elaborate display of social protocol, and keeps his trap shut as more experienced persons deal with what he regards as pretentious nonsense.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim winks at Relgar, and whispers, "You needn't say anything, your expression speaks volumes. I commend you, my friend. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor."

"I hope I did not offend you, Young Master?" Elkgrar asks Relgar. "I'd hate for you to think less of me. Such an 'act' was required, but it is not who I am despite my upbringing."


Annoyed at the failure of his poker face, Relgar attempts to look slightly shamefaced, probably just making himself look as though he just sucked on a lemon. "My annoyance was not toward your reaction, but toward what you reacted to. Personally, I believe humani...er, mortality would be better served by the complete abandonment of pretentious social rituals. But I can hardly object to those who understand the subject better than I, if they believe that doing so would .... cause more problems than it solves. Ultimately, the only thing I can state for certain is that I am bitter toward the existence of a theater of 'combat' in which I am utterly incompetent. My mind is honed more sharply than most persons can fathom; if all you have is a keen-edged sword, then it is difficult to find anything to admire about hammers."
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 pm

TIm chuckles, "On the other hand, if you admire hammers with too much enthusiasm, every problem starts to look like a nail."

Tim asks Master Rosenberg, "Are there any areas of the Garden District which are run-down, and/or contain abandoned houses, lots, or warehouses? Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I am new to this city, literally arrived today."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Thistle folds the note and tucks it into her garment. She goes to her quarters to meditate until communal supper is served. After supper she speaks with Gauwill Tote in privacy, "Master, I must be insistent. My best friend is gone and I will never see him again. He is one of the few that knew the of truth of my life, that I was created but to serve Arn. I will continue to do so. But there must be a reason why Arn allowed him to know of me and witness my creation. I would not be honoring my devotion to Arn if I do not follow through in seeking justice for my friend."

"My child, I knew this day would come. For Arn has blessed me with prophecies of things to come that have indeed manifested, and this is one of them. Please do not question this...only I wish for you to take these items to aid you in your quest for justice. Arn shines bright and may all of your future days do as well," Gauwill responds as he bestows her with enchanted arms and armory. She takes note of the rings and backpack in particular. A note inside the backpack she reads and promptly sets fire to in a quick and quiet burning ceremony to Arn. She gathers up her gear and bows curtly to Gauwill as she leaves.

She sleeps well that night and dreams of her friend; sharing the events of their lives that have lead up to now. She awakes the next morning well before dawn and reads the note again. She suits up with her gear and leaves one of the rings behind in a safe place that no one will find but her. She quickly trods off to temple gate as dawn braces the morning.
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 7932
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby dfryer36 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 am

Terger stands uneasy around the periphery of the group. This is exactly the type of place where someone might recognize him outside his cover identity and he had to be hyper-vigilant. He scans the faces of everyone who comes in looking for signs of recognition.

OOC: Search 1d20+12=31 or Spot 1d20+11=30 (Not sure which I should use)
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

What Rosenberg knows...

Postby Knightfall » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:30 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"I hope I did not offend you, Young Master?" Elkgrar asks Relgar. "I'd hate for you to think less of me. Such an 'act' was required, but it is not who I am despite my upbringing."

Annoyed at the failure of his poker face, Relgar attempts to look slightly shamefaced, probably just making himself look as though he just sucked on a lemon. "My annoyance was not toward your reaction, but toward what you reacted to. Personally, I believe humani...er, mortality would be better served by the complete abandonment of pretentious social rituals. But I can hardly object to those who understand the subject better than I, if they believe that doing so would .... cause more problems than it solves. Ultimately, the only thing I can state for certain is that I am bitter toward the existence of a theater of 'combat' in which I am utterly incompetent. My mind is honed more sharply than most persons can fathom; if all you have is a keen-edged sword, then it is difficult to find anything to admire about hammers."
Tellerian Hawke wrote:TIm chuckles, "On the other hand, if you admire hammers with too much enthusiasm, every problem starts to look like a nail."

"That is how my grandfather looks at the world," Elkgrar states matter-of-factly. "To him everything and everyone is a nail to be driven down into their place. My mother is more like a sword, but she cuts deep with her words, regardless. If it hadn't been for the temperance of my father, I would have grown up to be one of those who relishes such verbal combat."


dfryer36 wrote:Terger stands uneasy around the periphery of the group. This is exactly the type of place where someone might recognize him outside his cover identity and he had to be hyper-vigilant. He scans the faces of everyone who comes in looking for signs of recognition.

Terger notes that none of the Lantern's servants take any note of him. They go about their tasks with vigor and leave him be after he waves away a young footman who tries to take his cloak. Terger and the others are, thankfully, not led through the open areas of the Golden Lantern. The master footman seemed to sense a need for discretion from Elkgrar, so he made sure to lead them to the Temple Hall through the Lantern's back corridors.

There was a tense moment for Terger when he came face to face with a older noblewoman who was distraught about the service she felt she was not getting enough of. She barely glanced at him before pulling aside a young female servant and giving the girl a nasty tongue-lashing. Terger could tell the woman wasn't from Bluffside. Her accent was Noverese — likely a visitor from Marsala or Parma.

Once in the Temple Hall, with the doors shut, he has a chance to relax. Luckily for him, he's never met Rosenberg personally, or it was so long ago that he was a mere boy. The innkeeper barely glances in Terger's direction. He likely thinks Terger is a servant or a guard.
OOC: Search 1d20+12=31 or Spot 1d20+11=30 (Not sure which I should use)

OOC: Spot would be the best choice but a Knowledge (nobility and royalty) would be helpful if he was confronted by anyone who might know him. However, since he and the others were taken to Temple Hall through the 'back way', there wasn't much of a chance that any nobles visiting the Lantern would have a chance to even see him. Note that both Knowledge (local) and Knowledge (nobility and royalty) could tell him who might frequent the Golden Lantern and whether or not they might know or recognize him.


Big Tim wrote:Tim asks Master Rosenberg, "Are there any areas of the Garden District which are run-down, and/or contain abandoned houses, lots, or warehouses? Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I am new to this city, literally arrived today."

"I see, well, the area known as the Gardens aren't a true district unto itself, but it could be seen as such, as it is isolated from the rest of Old City by two gates and its own stout walls," Master Rosenberg replies. "And while the district is called Old City, there aren't any slums here. This is not New City. Not to say that there aren't any vacant buildings in the district, but they are kept up and cleansed of any riffraff that try to squat in them. Such criminals are either exiled from the city or sent to either the Asylum or the Dungeon, depending on their mentality.

"And there aren't any warehouses here in the Lantern Ward or in the Sublime Ward through the Vermilion Gate, although there are some small warehouse in other parts of the district. And as you move away from the Palace, a few of the wards have a few more old cracks that haven't been kept up as well, especially in the southern wards. Still, it's nothing like the smells of New City or the grime of the Mining District.

"But you say this villain is supposed to be hiding around here, which is so hard to believe. Old City is blanketed by the best of the Bluffside Regulars with most of their commanders being members of the Elite."

"No one is infallible, Master Rosenberg," Custodio notes.

"And you are?" Rosenberg insists.

"Custodio Vecchi," the guard replies.

"Your origins are Talangrán, are they not?"

"My family were never fiend worshipers, if that's what you're asking. An old branch of my family came from Falia more than 200 years ago, but my family has been in Bluffside since before the walls were first erected around the Military District."

"I meant no offense," Rosenberg says with a shrug. "I just wasn't sure how well versed you are in the protection of the city."

"I am very well versed," Custodio replies with a grin.

"Master Rosenberg, young Vecchi here is a member of Elite," Elkgrar quickly adds.

"But he does not wear the uniform," Rosenberg remarks.

"When hunting a hidden villain, Rosey," Rhodes says. "It's best not to give away your strengths and affiliations."

"Ah, of course, of course," Rosenberg says. "If I offended you, d'Elite, I do apologize."

"I accept your apology," Custodio replies. "And, as I stated, no one is immune to making mistakes or overlooking dangers that might seem innocent at first glance. Anything you can tell us might be helpful."

"Well, the main worry in Old City is the recent string of murders. Most of the bodies have been found in other parts of the district, and a body was just discovered at night two days ago in The Grand Gallery."

"A murder right under the noses of The Five," Rhodes remarks. "That would cause quite the stir amongst the blue bloods."

"Indeed it did," Rosenberg replies.

"Another body was found near the Southern Gate and third near the district's guard barracks. And those are recent murders that are publicly known. I don't know how many have been found by the Regulars and kept quiet."

"The killer is challenging the guards," Custodio says with a grimace.

"It seems so," Rhodes agrees.

"I wonder if there have been any found near the Gardens?" Elkgrar wonders.

"Oh, certainly not!" Rosenberg exclaims. "The Regulars would not have been able to silence any gruesome deaths from me in this ward. There would have been an uproar like there was when the dead man was found in the Grand Gallery, splayed out for all to see."

"Yet, Phelix Del Cannitha is believed to be in hiding here in this ward or perhaps the Sublime Ward or somewhere in the Gardens itself," Custodio states. "If true, he has managed to allude my peers and the eyes and ears of you and your peers."

"That simply cannot be," Rosenberg argues. "Your source must be wrong. Is that possible?"

"It is possible, but very unlikely," Elkgrar replies.

"What about the gates into the Gardens, Rosey?" Rhodes asks. "Anything odd going on around them? Anything at all?"

"Both the Garden Gate and the Gate of Lilies are watched at all hours and both gates are shut at night," Rosenberg replies.

"But what about the Growers' Gate?" Rhodes asks.

"Hmm, oh, of course, you don't know, the Growers' Gate hasn't been used for nearly four years. There was a minor earthquake and the gate collapsed in on itself. Instead of repairing it, the breaks in the walls were sealed off from both Old City and the Gardens. The old district tower isn't used anymore but it's been walled off."

"That's interesting," Rhodes says. "What about the patrols?"

"The same as for the rest of the district. The Five made sure that the walls could be accessed through the old Wyndlasmere House. The guards use it as a new Post. And the tower on the garden wall is still used. There were problems, at first, as young adventure seekers tried picking through the rubble trying to find some rumored bolt-hole, but it was never found and the walls around there are strictly off-limits to all but the Regulars."

"That's got to be it," Elkgrar says.

"No, no, I'm telling you, there isn't anything out there but a few old broken stones and a muddy depression."

"You'd be surprised where evil lurks, Rosey," Rhodes replies. He looks at the others. "I think we have a lead."
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Thistle meets Commander Oakfirst

Postby Knightfall » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Thistle folds the note and tucks it into her garment. She goes to her quarters to meditate until communal supper is served. After supper she speaks with Gauwill Tote in privacy, "Master, I must be insistent. My best friend is gone and I will never see him again. He is one of the few that knew the of truth of my life, that I was created but to serve Arn. I will continue to do so. But there must be a reason why Arn allowed him to know of me and witness my creation. I would not be honoring my devotion to Arn if I do not follow through in seeking justice for my friend."

"My child, I knew this day would come. For Arn has blessed me with prophecies of things to come that have indeed manifested, and this is one of them. Please do not question this...only I wish for you to take these items to aid you in your quest for justice. Arn shines bright and may all of your future days do as well," Gauwill responds as he bestows her with enchanted arms and armory. She takes note of the rings and backpack in particular. A note inside the backpack she reads and promptly sets fire to in a quick and quiet burning ceremony to Arn. She gathers up her gear and bows curtly to Gauwill as she leaves.

She sleeps well that night and dreams of her friend; sharing the events of their lives that have lead up to now. She awakes the next morning well before dawn and reads the note again. She suits up with her gear and leaves one of the rings behind in a safe place that no one will find but her. She quickly trods off to temple gate as dawn braces the morning.

Thistle soon finds herself amongst the throng of the Street of Sorrows at the edge of the Valhallan Ward. Once through the ward's northern inner gateway, she passes into the open square known as Widows' Fall. Thistle dislikes the forlorn names that Bluffside has given so many of the streets and squares of the Temple District but in this case, Widows' Fall was an apt name. The square, like much of Temple District is crisscrossed with large fissures. Widows' Fall has some of the largest and more than one distraught widow or widower has tossed themselves down into one of the steaming fissures in the dead of the night.

As a result, the Bluffside Regulars patrol the square constantly looking for any signs that someone might be considering entombing themselves deep into a fissure. A guard once explained to her that the reason that the city doesn't work to seal the fissures is that it would be impractical and even more unsafe. The cost would bankrupt the city and sealing the larger fissures would cause a dangerous buildup of vapors underneath the district. The result would be catastrophic.

"Besides, this is the way the Temple District has always been and always will be," the guard had said to Thistle. "All we can do is keep our guard up and minimize the number of self-tossers here and along the district's other dangerous fissures. Yet, we cannot be everywhere and accident's are bound to happen."

There had been a casual tone to the man's words that had upset Thistle greatly. That had been only a day and a half after she had first come to Bluffside. It still bothered her, but the guard had been right. Patrolling all the fissures of the Temple District would be an impossible feat. Gauwill had encouraged her to help protect the despondent but not to obsess about it. She'd spent several nights helping the Regulars and had prevented an old matron from killing herself in a moment of grief after her husband had died suddenly. That woman was now a convert of Arn.

It was one of a handful of successes she had.

Thistle soon passes through the western inner gateway of the Widows' Ward and into the Gate Ward, which is one of the district's largest. Here, there are less large fissures and the travel through the streets is easier. She passes by Dine Divine and past the edge of The Woundwalk and eventually steps out into Gate Street, which is always crowded. It is a short walk from there through the Temple Market and the inner gateway of the massive Temple Gate. The Elites guarding the gate are surprised to see her. Many in the district had heard of her internal struggle even if she'd tried to keep it to herself.

A female guard she knows well, Tinna, greets her warmly and even hugs her. "It is good to see you, Lady Thistle."

The other guards shake her hand and pat her on the back in encouragement. The guards protecting the Temple District are some of the most polite and friendly in all of Bluffside, although they can also be lax in their duties since so many of the temples have their own guards.

"Attention!" A voice booms out. "You are on duty, Elites! Act accordingly!"

"C-Commander Oakfirst!" A male guard, named Denitiian, salutes the leader of the Bluffside Regulars. The man nearly jumps out of his skin. "I did realize there was an inspection scheduled for this morning."

"Nor would you have known unless I had wished it," the imposing man says with simmering displeasure. He has his arms crossed and is glaring at the guards who quickly form a line and salute. "It seems I should be checking on this garrison more often. Luckily for you, I am not here to demote you all back to Regulars status. No, I am here to meet Lady Thistle and escort her to Old City. Now, get back to your duties and do not let me catch you being so informal again!"

"Y-yes s-sir," Tinna salutes her commander.

"Come with me, please," he says to Thistle.

Oakfirst grumbles and glares at the guards while waiting for Thistle to follow him beyond the district and out onto the wide road that leads southeast towards the Mining District. Thistle is a little surprised that the two of them walk alone, but the commander is an imposing warrior. Once he is sure the two of them are out of earshot of the guards, Commander Oakfirst lets out a massive belly laugh.

"Ah, you got to keep them on their toes or they'll sleep through their daily duties," he finally says. "I don't enjoy scaring them like that. Well, not too much." He laughs again.

He stops on the road and offers his hand in friendship to Thistle. "I am glad to make your acquaintance, Lady Thistle Ravenwood, and I am glad you decided to meet me at the gate. I did have some doubts." He shakes the elf woman's hand with vigor. "But we should be heading to Old city. It would be easier to head towards New City and then cut across the chasm but it would be more fun to take a shortcut through the ruins of Sem La Vah. What do you say, Lady Thistle? Up for a quick sidetrek?"

Now Thistle understood why the Commander of the Bluffside Regulars had met her alone. He was either bored and needed some diversion or he was testing her.
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri May 05, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Thistle meets Commander Oakfirst

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon May 01, 2017 3:06 am

Knightfall wrote:He stops on the road and offers his hand in friendship to Thistle. "I am glad to make your acquaintance, Lady Thistle Ravenwood, and I am glad you decided to meet me at the gate. I did have some doubts." He shakes the elf woman's hand with vigor. "But we should be heading to Old city. It would be easier to head towards New City and then cut across the chasm but it would be more fun to take a shortcut through the ruins of Sem La Vah. What do you say, Lady Thistle? Up for a quick sidetrek?"

"Sure. The ruins intrigue me, so I would be more than willing to accompany you through them," Thistle responds sternly.
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 7932
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: What Rosenberg knows...

Postby dfryer36 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Knightfall wrote:
"No, no, I'm telling you, there isn't anything out there but a few old broken stones and a muddy depression."

"You'd be surprised where evil lurks, Rosey," Rhodes replies. He looks at the others. "I think we have a lead."


"I will contact my superiors and make sure we are cleared for where ever we need to go," Terger says. "I would rather not have any misunderstanding with the Regulars on this outing. And we may be able to get some intelligence that Master Rosenberg is not privy to."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Master Rosenberg wrote: "But you say this villain is supposed to be hiding around here, which is so hard to believe. Old City is blanketed by the best of the Bluffside Regulars with most of their commanders being members of the Elite."

Custodio wrote:"No one is infallible, Master Rosenberg," Custodio notes.


Tim is quick to add, "Not only infallible in the sense of failing to notice wrongdoing, but also infallible in the sense of failing to care; bribery can be a strong motivator for some. Only the wisest, most well-trained guards have the ability to resist the gleam of silver and gold."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby MacConnell » Wed May 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Thersean is quiet, taking it all in. Being unfamiliar with the area and its peoples, he figures he should listen more than speak.
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.
User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests