The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

Post by agathokles » Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Lucius waits for Desmond to respond -- hopefully before Retameron and the others make a mess of it.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 21, 2019 1:17 pm

Westron road, Blight Swamp
Scene LV - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 16th day, 993 AC

Desmond answers quickly after a look at Retameron and Arteris who are smiling among themselves.
"I am Desmond Kelvin the second, son of Baron Kelvin of the Kingdom of Karameikos. With my companion we are searching for an ancient item which was stolen long time ago from the east. It's a black orb with magical power and we need it to fight the enemies of our Lord, Duke Stephan of Karameikos, who are attacking our towns. We understand we already had your permission to enter your domain, or we would already be dead. We hope you can help us in your quest. Your aid will not be forgotten", Desmond says, slightly bowing.
The dragon makes a sound, and after a while you realize it must have been a brief laugh.
"You may not know this, human, but dragons have lieges and vassals too. My liege indeed has demanded I help you, and I am willing to comply, yet I have the same problem your Duke has. Some of my vassals, while professing official fealty to me, are really plotting to overthrow me, in league with external powers. I am willing to help you both to oblige to my liege's desires and to teach a lesson to some of my rebellious vassals. Yet there are those who will try to hinder you, you may say an alliance of your Duke's unfealty vassals and mine, and some external enemies. The problem we have is to be sure who our enemies really are. Much like your Duke, I cannot accuse one of my vassals without proofs. You should gather these proofs for me", the dragon says.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Scene LV - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 16th day, 993 AC

"We can try to the best of our abilities. Will you help us finding the black orb?", Desmond says.
The dragon makes a brief pause before answering. "Others came in the past to find it and failed. I have never found it, but a servant of one of my vassals named Rosentos says that Trinkla is still somehow alive and she has the orb. If he is telling the truth, maybe he can help you. If you retrieve the orb, I would like to see it. If you let me examine it for a while, I will let you depart the swamp with it. Now it is late, you can eat and sleep in one of my caves for the night", Vulomar says.
After this, you are lead by the gatormen to a side corridor and then to another smaller, dry cave. The gatormen later bring you fish and algae to eat. Despite the strange aspect of the food, it is delicious. Retameron, Arteris and the others smile and laugh carelessly as before.
Desmond comes to speak to you and Kesh. "So it seems it is true Rosentos is still around as an undead, and it appears we have to rely on his aid to retrieve the orb Trinkla stolen centuries ago. If she is around as well, we can assume she is not exactly alive either. I do not like much trusting undead and dragons, but probably we have no choice if we want to save Karameikos from Skarda".

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu May 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Lucius nods grimly.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu May 23, 2019 3:52 pm

I admit that the situation is not ideal but what else can we do? Except, of course, run away...

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Scene LV - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 17th day, 993 AC

Indeed you have to go on. The next day is your 8th day in the swamp, and the gatormen point you to follow a small river from the lake that hides the lair of Vulomar to the north, for 8 miles, to find the Isle of Rosentos. You already know you will not be able to cover the distance in just a day in the treacherous swamp terrain.
You begin your trek and by early afternoon Bellithiel calculates you must have covered most of the distance, probably arriving tomorrow morning at your destination. But you still have to choose a camping spot for the night.
While you are doing this, two columns of water rise from the river, forming into the shape of giant serpents. Then one tries to engulf Desmond, the other Taradain, pulling them toward the river.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Lucius rushes to help the nearest between Taradain and Desmond, slashing at the water column with his sword.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri May 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Bofar follows Lucius attacking with his hammer.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Lucius hits the water serpent attacking Desmond but, despite hitting it fully, the sword passes through without any apparent damage to the creature. Magical darts come from Halia and Cardia, creating small holes in it. Retameron too hits it with his sword, but his weapon too passes without much results.
Bofar instead hits the serpent with the hammer, and the blow seems more effective against the creature, disrupting its 'body' and partially freeing Taradain. Arteris and Flinn instead does not seem to obtain much with their swords.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon May 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Seeing that his hammer has some effect on the serpent, Bofar continues hammering the creature.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon May 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Lucius tries to bash the water snake with his shield instead.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 28, 2019 11:56 am

Desmond struggle with the water serpent and tries to get away, partially succeeding. Lucius hits it with his shield, pushing the creature a bit away. Retameron and Sam too try to hit it with any kind of blunt object they can find, helping in keeping the creature at bay.
Kesh, Bofar, Arteris, Flinn and Alexei focus on the water serpent engulfing Taradain, but while hitting it several times, the creature does not budge.
Now the two serpents move back to the river, trying to take Desmond and Taradain with them. You all try to stop them in any possible way and finally, after taking more hits, the two strange creature slip away, letting their victims go.
Desmond and Taradain spit water on the shore for a while, crawling away.
"Bad water monster. Dangerous", Shuur says.
"Better to try to find a camping spot not too near the shore, given the crocodiles and else", Alexei says.
"I find this swamp so exciting", Retameron says enthusiastically, obtaining a sour look from Desmond. Halia, Arteris, Fain and the elves obviously happily agree with Retameron.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 28, 2019 12:21 pm

May be you should go after them, says Bofar in a sarcastic voice.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu May 30, 2019 10:18 am

Scene LVI - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 17-18th day, 993 AC

"It would be so interesting to explore the river from the bottom!", Retameron says eagerly, but before such a project proceed, Desmond tells him and the others to find a camping spot, distracting them soon enough.
You find a place to sleep not too near the river and fortunately nothing disturb your sleep, except for the need to have double guards and the usual noises of the swamp, which are not few between frogs, birds and insects.
The morning after you go along for some more miles of hard swamp terrain, but while you see alligators at some distance, no one attack you.
By late afternoon, you see a small hummock of sandy ground ahead. The dark silhouettes of trees are visible in the fading light of day. A small break in the reeds opens up, just wide enough to pass through. A spongy beach lies beyond the reeds, and a trail winds up from the beach into the woods.
You need again to use rafts to cross the waters, and it is just after dusk, once you have landed, that you see a man coming down the trail from the woods, carrying a lantern. The man is dressed in crude, obviously homemade clothing, but he appears to be in good health.
He looks to be about 35 years old. He is lean and rangy, and he has a battered, weatherbeaten face that makes him rather ugly, but not unpleasant. He carries no weapons in his hands, although he does have a sword strapped to his side.
"Well met, travellers, I am Rosentos, and this small island is my home".

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Scene LVII - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 18th day, 993 AC

Desmond present himself as the son of a Thyatian noble, following the steps of the long ago expedition by Rosentos himself.
"I am surprised you are still alive, sir, but it is an advantage for us, as you certainly possess invaluable historic knowledge and invaluable knowledge on the swamp which can certainly aid us on our mission", Desmond says.
"Even if the ghost of one of your men said you are an undead abomination and asked us to kill you", Retameron says much less diplomatically, making Desmond cringe.
Rosentos smiles calmly "You should have a more relaxed concept of abominations here in the swamp, compared to the one you may have in your cities. I offer you my hospitality. You can hear my story and then decide for yourself", Rosentos says.
"We should then put this to vote. Should we fight the undead or hear him talk?", Retameron says.
"I am a cleric yet I think we should speak to him. We need help in our quest", Alexei says.
Kesh declares more or less the same. Desmond, Sara and Ludovico agree, as does Shuur.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Let's hear him out.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Lucius waits for a majority to emerge without taking sides.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Taran and Bellithiel seem uncertain, as Retameron and Arteris, but eventually they agree with Desmond to hear what Rosentos has to say.
Rosentos smiles and lead you toward the interior of the island. You soon realize the place is inhabited. You see several humans, simply dressed in loincloths, men and women, and with a bronze skin you heard is common in West, in the Atruaghin lands and Sind.
You see also a few caymen. Both people look at you with little curiosity, if any. You see also some big stone urns 7 feet tall around the place, then finally you reach a well-kept wooden cabin which stands in a small clearing among tall grasses.
The interior is confortable, and there are more humans with bronze skin inside, simply dressed as the ones outside. Rosentos leads you to a sitting room with many couches which seem to be relatively recent.
"You can sleep in my house, if you want to, or everywhere you prefer in the island. You must have some questions about me and the swamp..", Rosentos says, waiting for you to speak.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:30 am

Desmond has many questions on Rosentos' original expedition and why it never came back. Rosentos seems happy to explain.
"I faced Trinkla herself, and I was defeated, all my men killed. She was a vampire, something I did not know before facing her, obviously. And she had minions, lizardmen and undead, which she still has. I managed to escape, barely, but soon I discovered she had somehow turned me into one of the undead. I remained in hiding for decades and weak and alone for centuries before I was able to find allies and purpose. Trinkla now wants the dragons of the swamp to believe she is an ally, but I believe she is allied instead with very dark powers who want to conquer the swamp. She accuses me of having stolen the Black Orb, but I am sure she still has it. Your arrival could indeed be the chance to destroy her. It's impossible for me to storm her lair, and it would be impossible for you too. But she can agree to meet you, and then you, with some hidden help from me, will have the chance to strike at her". Rosentos also ask questions about the current status of Karameikos.
Retameron and Arteris are more blunt, and ask Rosentos why he, an undead, would be willing to help.
Rosentos says he is loyal the Lady Dragon of the Swamp, Vulomar, who is a vassal too to another dragon lord, one who has a benevolent view on the current ruler of Karameikos and wants to hinder the ones working against him. Rosentos says that behind the enemies of Duke Stephan there is a powerful dark force.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 pm

After talking to Rosentos, Desmond accept his hospitality on the island, saying you could sleep in an empty house of the human village outside, as you are too many to fit into Rosentos' cabin. He accepts and send a bronze skinned woman to lead you to a emprty hut at some distance from his house.
Once the woman has left, Desmond says to prepare a small camp and start talking to everyone, including you.
"Now I'm gathering opinions and proposals on this. Rosentos may have told the truth or not, before I told spellcasters not to use spells on him to avoid detection, but now we could do a little spying to learn something more. We will have to speak to Trinkla anyway, I think, and Rosentos' help may be decisive. Trinkla stole the Orb and if she is still around, it is indeed likely she may still have the orb in her hideout", Desmond says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:41 pm

If he is lying, then he might have the orb. That would make fighting Trinkla a dangerous distraction. We need to fight the minimum number of opponents if we want to get out alive and hope to survive the predictable attack from Skarda's forces.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:29 pm

I agree with Lucius, we cannot fight against everybody. We have to decide who to believe. My every instinct is against trusting Rosentos but I just do not know what else we can do here.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am

"I could try to contact again the spirit of Grisbaldos, hopefully he may know the truth. But if he is motivated purely by personal revenge, he may still lie. Unrestful spirit are not exactly reliable", Alexei says.
"Let's try. In the meantime Sam and Ludovico could do a bit of exploring just to know if Rosentos is hiding something. And others could do the same and talk to the people living here, are you up to it?", Desmond asks.
Taran and Bellithiel are eager to go walking around, as Retameron, Arteris and the others who retain their new found enthusiasm from the dark region in the swamp you encoutered a few days ago.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Bofar approaches Desmond and whispers to him, Somebody should keep an eye on Retameron and others just in case they get any overenthusiastic ideas.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 am

Desmond nods to Bofar and asks the dwarf and Lucius to go with Retameron, Halia and Cardia. Kesh and Taradain go instead with Taran and Bellithiel, Desmond with Arteris and her group, while Alexei will try to speak with the spirit. Divided in small groups you do a basic exploration of the island before night falls. As directed by Desmond, Retameron goes to the extrame east, where there is a big patch of trees, with a path.
Following it, you reach a wide clearing, overgrown with thick grass. A space of packed dirt, free of grass, rests near the center of the clearing. At the very heart of the barren area is a small, unusual compound.
Packed dirt and woven reeds make up the walls of this compound. Several large mounds of packed dirt lie beyond the compound walls. Many 50 cm high openings bore into these mounds.
A small group of 1 meter or less high creatures with gray green scales stands in the clearing. The creatures look like small lizard men. Some are holding weapons and wearing bone and feather headdresses. They begin hissing and snapping in the characters’ direction.
"More caymen. We should try to talk to them!", Retameron says.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”