[Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [OOC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: [Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 am

So, I was going to write another post tonight, but it turned into a very looong day and if I tried to start now, I'd end up asleep on my keyboard. Next post will be either tomorrow or Sunday. Time to sleep.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Arcana check since Relgar doesn't have Knowledge (the pl

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Knightfall wrote:Hidden Text:...feel free to ask questions about anything I'm mentioned.
My only immediate question is what significance the underlined words and phrases held (for instance "100% certain" and "unsettling"). I thought at first they were links to die rolls or additional text; instead, they appear to just be emphases, but I have no idea what is meant by emphasizing them and only them.

As far as I know, only Big Tim is currently onstage with me, PCs-wise? I for one would just as soon have dfryer and any other remaining players wrap up their conversations with NPCs and rejoin the party, so that we can get on with some active gameplay. As long as the game is mostly a bunch of NPCs talking to each other about the political ramifications of the situation, I would be largely checked out even if my character were actually involved in the conversation. The cosmology infodump is only slightly more interesting, and I would kind of like to actually *do* something rather than just gathering data. (Don't take this as me being pushy though, since I still often forget to check in here. If it takes you a month to get around to doing something for me, and then takes me another month before I get around to noticing it, that would be par for the course in terms of my current lifestyle; thing are just not convenient on my end, so largely ignoring my wishes is perfectly acceptable.)

One detail on the cosmology stuff - pretty much the only place you mentioned which means anything to me is the Far Realm, so even though Relgar will absolutely not step one foot in that direction, being entirely the wrong type of character to meddle in such dangerous matters, I would be interested OOC if this stuff came up. In particular, with your permission, I would like to assume that the one Far Realm tome which Relgar read at some point in the past made passing mention of the Farspawn-related elements that I'm familiar with from the books I've read, notably including the Kaorti (who may actually be marauding around somewhere in the world, or have had a past incursion and left some Resin weapons behind) and Father Llymic (a whispered rumor only, which may or may not have any basis in truth; if you don't want to run an Elder Evils game and possibly destroy your entire campaign setting, you can just assume it's as mythical as Cthulhu is IRL, and serves much the same function). Cautionary tales about a horror who blots out the sun and turns everything it touches into ice-monsters would be a good way of explaining Relgar's general lack of interest in any of D&D's more interesting things.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 pm

In case you already read my post in this thread, please note that I heavily edited it, attempting to avoid a double-post which I now must perform anyway.
Knightfall wrote:"A few Zone of Truth spells will determine innocence or guilt," Lord Varian muses. "A simple enough thing to set up."
Please see to it that someone (PC or NPC) repeats this incredibly idiotic comment in Relgar's presence, so that he can facepalm and then go off on the moron about how titanically wrong this statement is.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Arcana check since Relgar doesn't have Knowledge (the pl

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:58 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Hidden Text:...feel free to ask questions about anything I'm mentioned.
My only immediate question is what significance the underlined words and phrases held (for instance "100% certain" and "unsettling"). I thought at first they were links to die rolls or additional text; instead, they appear to just be emphases, but I have no idea what is meant by emphasizing them and only them.
Consider the "100% certain" text to be a result of the die rolls. They were so good, that there is no risk to Relgar to studying the walls even if there turned out to be a magical trap hidden somewhere in the writing. He would be able to avoid it even without a rogue to help disarm the trap. And "unsettling" meant that I'm assuming that Relgar rarely becomes unnerved by reading esoteric arcane tomes but that the one I mentioned gave him nightmares, literally.

EDIT: More than the die rolls, the 100% safety also has to do with a certain book that Relgar is carrying that was able to protect his mind from the worst aspects of the alienist formulas on the walls. Thus, there is danger there but the intelligent magical tome was sheltering Relgar's mind. I wanted to post my latest reply before noting that here, however. :)
willpell wrote:As far as I know, only Big Tim is currently onstage with me, PCs-wise? I for one would just as soon have dfryer and any other remaining players wrap up their conversations with NPCs and rejoin the party, so that we can get on with some active gameplay. As long as the game is mostly a bunch of NPCs talking to each other about the political ramifications of the situation, I would be largely checked out even if my character were actually involved in the conversation. The cosmology infodump is only slightly more interesting, and I would kind of like to actually *do* something rather than just gathering data. (Don't take this as me being pushy though, since I still often forget to check in here. If it takes you a month to get around to doing something for me, and then takes me another month before I get around to noticing it, that would be par for the course in terms of my current lifestyle; thing are just not convenient on my end, so largely ignoring my wishes is perfectly acceptable.)
I too would prefer to keep the group together, but I don't want to force anyone to play a certain way. I probably should have kept Rhodes and Thersean with Relgar and Big Tim, but I decided to go with the flow. They will be returning to the group shortly, as their interactions in the manor were only meant as a stopgap while Terger and Elkgrar finish up with The Five. My latest reply 'pushes' those two characters back to the tower.
willpell wrote:One detail on the cosmology stuff - pretty much the only place you mentioned which means anything to me is the Far Realm, so even though Relgar will absolutely not step one foot in that direction, being entirely the wrong type of character to meddle in such dangerous matters, I would be interested OOC if this stuff came up. In particular, with your permission, I would like to assume that the one Far Realm tome which Relgar read at some point in the past made passing mention of the Farspawn-related elements that I'm familiar with from the books I've read, notably including the Kaorti (who may actually be marauding around somewhere in the world, or have had a past incursion and left some Resin weapons behind) and Father Llymic (a whispered rumor only, which may or may not have any basis in truth; if you don't want to run an Elder Evils game and possibly destroy your entire campaign setting, you can just assume it's as mythical as Cthulhu is IRL, and serves much the same function). Cautionary tales about a horror who blots out the sun and turns everything it touches into ice-monsters would be a good way of explaining Relgar's general lack of interest in any of D&D's more interesting things.
I have no problem with Elder Evils being in the universe. That's one of my favorite D&D book for 3E. Zargon, in particular, exists on Kulan but on a different (but nearby) continent. That Elder Evil is trapped in his prison. It's been a while since i've looked through my Elder Evils book, and I hadn't planned on using it for this campaign.

And I'm fine with your suggestions. Go for it.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:59 pm

willpell wrote:In case you already read my post in this thread, please note that I heavily edited it, attempting to avoid a double-post which I now must perform anyway.
Knightfall wrote:"A few Zone of Truth spells will determine innocence or guilt," Lord Varian muses. "A simple enough thing to set up."
Please see to it that someone (PC or NPC) repeats this incredibly idiotic comment in Relgar's presence, so that he can facepalm and then go off on the moron about how titanically wrong this statement is.
Heh. That might come up. Surprisingly, the person who said it is now the acting Lord Mayor of Bluffside.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 pm

BTW, I let Tellerian Hawke know through Facebook about your post. He's going to post something sometime today (maybe shortly).

i'm taking a break until he does so then I'll post a reply for both of you. :)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Feeling unwell. :(

Will continue to wait until at least Friday.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: [Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [OOC]

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Feeling some withdrawal pains after the days-long downtime. Feel free to make a post, even if it's not properly researched and statted out and such, just to help us reorient ourselves.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:26 pm

That's the plan. I had been waiting for David to post before going on, but then the server migration began. We need to make sure we keep backups of any IC conversation for the next little while just in case the V5 Open Test has to be rolled back. Don't want to lose any posts.

I can keep a running archive of the bulk of the post, but I could miss some if the V5 Open Test goes on for a while.

Anyway, I'll come up with something and try to get it up by sometime tomorrow. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 am

Will try to get the post up this weekend. Today turned into a real long day. Very tired.

Time to sleep.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:57 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 pm
Tim (OOC) wrote: How long has it been since the fireball went off in the Golden Lantern? (or whatever that place was--the fancy restaurant we were in, with the secluded second floor) Has it been hours? Days? etc.?
It's been roughly two or three hours since that fireball went off.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Testing something...

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:58 pm

@Tellerian Hawke

Okay, so that doesn't work on these new boards. Just checking... ^_^
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 am

In what sense precisely are Phelix's tower keys "organic", if they include things like rocks and water? The crystal "flor" I can see it for, but the other objects alluded to don't seem to fit with that word at all, not any definition of it that I'm used to.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:03 pm

willpell wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 am
In what sense precisely are Phelix's tower keys "organic", if they include things like rocks and water? The crystal "flor" I can see it for, but the other objects alluded to don't seem to fit with that word at all, not any definition of it that I'm used to.
Organic as in from the natural world. Not processed. So those other objects are things that aren't manufactured by people. They exist in nature just like the crystalline flora, although they are touched by magic. That's what I meant.

(For while the bottle for the Bottled Smoke is manufactured, the smoke in it is a unique emanation from a certain natural rift. I guess I could have been more clear about that rift and where it is, but I didn't want to get bogged down in other details that you don't really need. My bad for it being confusing.)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:03 pm

FYI, laundry and physio today. Next post won't be until tomorrow at the earliest.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 am

no post today. I was busy working on this post in my homebrewed Mystara thread. :geek:

While I'll try to get one up tomorrow, I might just wait for David to post. We'll see.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:15 am

Hey there, God-Emperor ol' buddy ol' pal...how are we doing in terms of getting me to my next experience level? I realize it hasn't been super long since I became level 6, but I still can't help feeling impatient about my 7th, since that's where I get to start being an actual Geomancer, instead of just the beginnings of one.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:37 am

willpell wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:15 am
Hey there, God-Emperor ol' buddy ol' pal...how are we doing in terms of getting me to my next experience level? I realize it hasn't been super long since I became level 6, but I still can't help feeling impatient about my 7th, since that's where I get to start being an actual Geomancer, instead of just the beginnings of one.
Well, most of the interaction hasn't been combat related, so I often forget about the Interaction XP part of the game. But, he's likely some distance away still. I'll take a look back through it all and see where he stands.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Love your new Ahhhvatar, btw....

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:21 am

willpell wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:26 pm
Love your new Ahhhvatar, btw....
Thanks.

:mrgreen:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:05 pm

My next post will likely be on the weekend, although tomorrow is a possibility.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 am

New post added. Taking a break and then I'll see about calculating some Interaction XP.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Sorry guys. I haven't been getting e-mail notifications since we migrated servers. I wasn't aware that I had to reselect those options.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 pm

dfryer36 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:19 pm
Sorry guys. I haven't been getting e-mail notifications since we migrated servers. I wasn't aware that I had to reselect those options.
No worries. ;)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 pm

I'll get you guys another post by Friday. It might happen sooner but definitely not tonight as I have plans.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “The Crystal Globe”