[Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [OOC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby willpell » Mon May 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:Didn't know Inflict Wounds even had a save.

It's the fact that it is a magical trap that gives a save.

And note my IC post regarding the resuly. Did you roll hit points? I need to know how many Relgar has?

1st hit die is at maximum.

I figure it's pretty much up to the DM how to handle HP, especially in online settings. Sometimes they're rolled, sometimes they take the average, sometimes they just give you maximum for your HD just so it's less likely that a character will die, since you've put so much work into it.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Mon May 08, 2017 7:28 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:Didn't know Inflict Wounds even had a save.

It's the fact that it is a magical trap that gives a save.

And note my IC post regarding the resuly. Did you roll hit points? I need to know how many Relgar has?

1st hit die is at maximum.

I figure it's pretty much up to the DM how to handle HP, especially in online settings. Sometimes they're rolled, sometimes they take the average, sometimes they just give you maximum for your HD just so it's less likely that a character will die, since you've put so much work into it.

We can do maximum for 1st level and then average hit points for the rest of the levels. So, 8 (paragon) + 7.5 (wizard) + 9 (paragon) = 21.5 (rounded up) to 22 hp. Since the human paragon class has d8 for its HD, Relgar is a bit tougher than a standard wizard.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Mon May 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Knightfall wrote:We can do maximum for 1st level and then average hit points for the rest of the levels. So, 8 (paragon) + 7.5 (wizard) + 9 (paragon) = 21.5 (rounded up) to 22 hp. Since the human paragon class has d8 for its HD, Relgar is a bit tougher than a standard wizard.

In that case, I'm currently doing twice as good as this guy:

willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 pm

If you still have enough coin left, I suggest a cloak of resistance for your PC. Even the +1 version for 1,000 gp would be helpful.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 09, 2017 4:35 am

FYI, Custodio also digs out two cure potions and drinks one and gives the other to Master Rosenberg.

Custodio: 2d8+10=18
Rosenberg: 2d8+10=15
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 09, 2017 4:38 am

Next post will be for Thistle but not tonight.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 09, 2017 6:33 am

XP for the Traps
Inflict Light Wounds Trap (CR 2): 450 XP (for Relgar only)
Widened Fireball Trap (CR 8): 3,600 XP (for PCs only)
-- I think since it damaged almost everyone, the trap should be CR 8.
-- Group's NPCs are treated as a separate party for XP awards (plus, Rosenberg isn't included with them). They only get half of what the award would be for them (1,800 XP / 3 = 600 each)

3,600 XP / 4 = 900 XP

So, Relgar gets 1,350 XP and Terger, Tim, and Thersean all get 900 XP.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 09, 2017 7:10 pm

My next update for Thistle will either be late tonight or early tomorrow.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Knightfall wrote:My next update for Thistle will either be late tonight or early tomorrow.
Looking forward to it! :cool:
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby willpell » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Knightfall wrote:If you still have enough coin left, I suggest a cloak of resistance for your PC. Even the +1 version for 1,000 gp would be helpful.

Relgar would never be caught dead in a cloak (famous last words...). If he could get a custom item that was more understated, like an amulet he could tuck between two shirts, he might go for that.

EDIT - Also, I am embarassed to admit that I've entirely lost track of who or what Custodio is. Ekgrar I remembered, but that's not who healed me just now, so a reminder of whose debt I'm in would be appreciated. Although Relgar of course comes across as an ingrate right here; he's too rattled to actually THANK Custodio aloud, but if prompted he would admit to appreciating the aid (albeit seeming somewhat surly about it, since he's uncomfortable with acknowledging the situation).
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:If you still have enough coin left, I suggest a cloak of resistance for your PC. Even the +1 version for 1,000 gp would be helpful.

Relgar would never be caught dead in a cloak (famous last words...). If he could get a custom item that was more understated, like an amulet he could tuck between two shirts, he might go for that.

There are items in the Magic Item Compendium that do the same sort of thing as a cloak of resistance, but most of them are more expensive (I think). I'll come up with some options for you. There are also the rules in that book for adding 'standardized' magical abilities to other existing items. So, he could have a amulet of natural armor that could also give him a resistance boost, but it won't be cheap.

EDIT - Also, I am embarassed to admit that I've entirely lost track of who or what Custodio is. Ekgrar I remembered, but that's not who healed me just now, so a reminder of whose debt I'm in would be appreciated. Although Relgar of course comes across as an ingrate right here; he's too rattled to actually THANK Custodio aloud, but if prompted he would admit to appreciating the aid (albeit seeming somewhat surly about it, since he's uncomfortable with acknowledging the situation).

Custodio Vecchi is a Bluffside Elite guard who worked with the previous group of PCs (along with Terger). He has been given a 'leave of absence' of sort to continue working with this new team to hunt down Phelix. He is a cleric of an Aspect of the Purifier deity known as the Vanquisher, as well as a fighter. Right now, he's on par with the PCs when it comes to levels, but since he (and the other NPCs) won't gain as much XP as them, he will soon fall behind them in level (which is how it should be).

Note that Elkgrar Ashhand is actually two levels lower than the PCs, so he's more prone to dying quickly. His value lies more in who he knows and his religious acumen. Plus, as a cleric of the Builder, Elkgrar is respected by Bluffside's dwarven and gnomish communities.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Knightfall wrote:Custodio Vecchi is a Bluffside Elite guard who worked with the previous group of PCs (along with Terger). He has been given a 'leave of absence' of sort to continue working with this new team to hunt down Phelix. He is a cleric of an Aspect of the Purifier deity known as the Vanquisher, as well as a fighter. Right now, he's on par with the PCs when it comes to levels, but since he (and the other NPCs) won't gain as much XP as them, he will soon fall behind them in level (which is how it should be).

What does he look like? ("Nondescript" is a valid answer.)
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 10, 2017 6:38 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Custodio Vecchi is a Bluffside Elite guard who worked with the previous group of PCs (along with Terger). He has been given a 'leave of absence' of sort to continue working with this new team to hunt down Phelix. He is a cleric of an Aspect of the Purifier deity known as the Vanquisher, as well as a fighter. Right now, he's on par with the PCs when it comes to levels, but since he (and the other NPCs) won't gain as much XP as them, he will soon fall behind them in level (which is how it should be).

What does he look like? ("Nondescript" is a valid answer.)

go back and re-read this post: viewtopic.php?p=184710#p184710

That gives his character some depth although I didn't get into too much detail on his looks. I wouldn't call nondescript, however. He's a stern-looking man with short dark hair and a neat appearance. His normal clothes aren't highly fashionable. He would blend into most adventuring groups with ease. He does have a few scars but nothing that stands out and makes him unpleasant to look at. (Of course, now he's been burned like the rest of them, so he'll have a few more blemishes and scars, even with magical healing. Most of his borrowed clothes have been scorched since he failed his save but not enough to make him naked.)

His main distinguishing feature is the holy symbol of the Vanquisher tattooed on his left arm, which he doesn't keep covered, ever. (He used to in the past.) The tattoo is on his forearm above his wrist and it looks like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... cf807d.jpg

The symbol's blade extends down onto the back of his hand.

Normally, he wear the blue tabard of Bluffside's guards, but he won't be wearing that again until after Phelix is caught. During this adventure, he is wearing the standard traveler's outfit: boots, breeches, a sturdy belt, a shirt (with a vest), and an ample cloak with a hood. Add to that his magical bastard sword, his handy haversack, masterwork breastplate and wooden shield, and his light crossbow. Of course, his normal clothes, weapons, and armor are back at the manor.

You can also go back and read this post, if you like: viewtopic.php?p=164083#p164083
(That was Terger's first impression of Custodio.)
Last edited by Knightfall on Wed May 10, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Both Tim and Master Rosenberg, like Custodio, have had their clothes severely burned away due to failed saves. This includes anything mundane that they are currently wearing. However, anything magical on them isn't damaged.

Custodio and Tim will both need a change of clothes. Relgar, Elkgrar, and Rhodes are less singed but their clothes no longer look pristine.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Sem La Vah battle

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Initiative Rolls
Winged creatures [x2] (flying towards the bridge): 1d20+2=19
Winged creatures [x3] (flying towards Oakfirst): 1d20+2=11
Diggers: 1d20-2=4
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Sem La Vah Battle: Initiative Order (Round One)
Thistle: 22
Commander Oakfirst: 22 (readied action, two weapon fighting, fighting defensively [-4 attack, +2 AC])
Winged creatures [x2] (flying towards the bridge): 19
Diggers Headman 1d20=16
Winged creatures [x3] (flying towards Oakfirst): 11
Other Diggers [x6]: 4

Angel, roll initiative for Thistle.
Last edited by Knightfall on Wed May 10, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 10, 2017 8:57 pm

20+2=22
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:20+2=22

Okay, so Thistle goes first in the round. She can double move to the diggers and be standing right next to them when the attack comes. I see she doesn't have a ranged weapon, but her being there will be a more enticing target.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Setting up to write major replies for all either tonight or tomorrow. There is a chance it could get pushed to Saturday, if I go to see Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 on Friday.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri May 12, 2017 12:51 am

Knightfall wrote:Setting up to write major replies for all either tonight or tomorrow. There is a chance it could get pushed to Saturday, if I go to see Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 on Friday.
Enjoy the movie...I hope to see it soon myself.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 12, 2017 6:03 am

I'm on a roll tonight, new post up for the main group. New post tomorrow for Angel's PC.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Fri May 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Waldobert is the best name ever. :mrgreen:
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Angel, sorry it's taking so much longer than I thought it was going to take. Went to dinner with my sis and dad on Friday, went to the market and to see Guardians yesterday, and, of course, today is Mother's Day. A new post for you likely won't go up until late tonight or sometime tomorrow.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun May 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Knightfall wrote:Angel, sorry it's taking so much longer than I thought it was going to take. Went to dinner with my sis and dad on Friday, went to the market and to see Guardians yesterday, and, of course, today is Mother's Day. A new post for you likely won't go up until late tonight or sometime tomorrow.
It's fine, I know you are busy with other things. You should be enjoying the company of your friends and family, that certainly takes more precedence than GMing our game. I am glad to be a part of the game again though and look forward to your next post for Thistle.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Sem La Vah Battle: Initiative Order (Round Two)
Thistle: 22
Dark Reptilian [x2]: 19 (fighting Thistle and the Diggers Headman)
Diggers Headman: 16
Commander Oakfirst: 12 (readied action, two weapon fighting, fighting defensively [-4 attack, +2 AC])
Dark Reptilian [x3]: 11 (60 ft. from Oakfirst)
Other Diggers [x6]: 4 (withdrawing across the bridge, 40 ft. away from Thistle)

Thistle had to spend a double move to reach the diggers, so she couldn't attack in the first round. She now knows she is fighting an evil creature with fiendish ancestry.
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe